Need help starting

Options

Replies

• jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I still moved pretty quickly on my deads yesterday @heybales I think I was afraid if I paused I'd never get another rep in. :D
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Well, there is indeed the "arggghhhh" factor to just get it done and fast.

That's why it's anaerobic, doesn't absolutely require oxygen for the muscles - though the brain does.

Just wanted to make sure you didn't lose your core lock breathing at the top.
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    I will work on that. I think I do brace again. I don't wear a belt, not sure if I should or not.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Week 2.
    Hello Team working on TDEE 1900 (although my fitbit alone gives me a much lower TDEE)
    I just wanted to give you some figures for my SECOND week to see if I'm on the right track and what my intentions are for the THIRD week which starts today.
    Started at 178lbs. After week 2ND week 177lbs (ALTHOUGH IT DID GO UP 1LB THEN CAME DOWN 2 making me 1lb less)
    Cal. 1250 per day. SECOND week had Average1288 cal per day
    Man. and fitbit burn. Average 2090 (Fitbit only without me adding 1622).
    Carbs 40%-41% protein.28%. – 30% fat 27%-30% after SECOND week.( AVERAGES)

I am also using resistance bands for 10 minutes a day ( I don't have weights and also have a back problem). I do cardio each day too. Decreased cardio from 30 minutes on static bike to 15 minutes on static bike. Have increased the strength of the resistance band yesterday.

Starting today week 3. aim for 1350 calories per day.

Please can you advise if this seems ok or that I am not getting it right.

Looking forward to hearing your views and thanks for your help

Thank you Carol

• jerilynconn
    Options
    You are doing just fine @dejavuohlala bump up those calories. Good job on the protein.
  • dejavuohlala
    Options
    Thank you Saranharm
  • heybales
    Options
    Good job getting on up there.

Especially after a good workout day, at least for next 24 hrs - don't be afraid to eat even more - body will know exactly what to do with it for recovery!

I know you are increasing slowly, but if that gives you 2-3 days weekly where you can go even higher to reach that 2K goal, might as well go for it.

You might make sure the cardio supports the reset right now. Try to go slow enough you could sing poorly while doing it - meaning you have enough air left to do so.
    Normally a good aerobic level would be said light conversation talking only - but for this attempting to get up to reset level, that's probably higher than needed.
    Until you are used to eating more anyway.
  • dejavuohlala
    Options
    @haybales may give the singing a miss don't want to scare the neighbours!!!!!! Interesting didn't realise all these intricacies to a reset?
  • heybales
    Options
    Well, not necessarily intricacies, as it's just not a reset until you are eating at maintenance - and considering you aren't there yet, you aren't resetting yet.

So doing calmer cardio means you burn less and TDEE is less - meaning you can reach it faster/easier.
    May also mean less stress to body to make it easier to recover from what you do that can provide the most bang for your time/effort.

And yeah - you don't try to sing while doing it - that's just a gauge to the right pace - you are only requiring enough oxygen for the workout that you have enough to sing, as opposed to next level up only able to have brief conversation, compared to next level up only gasped words, and next level no speaking.

Some might do less cardio, but then make it so intense that's it's actually more stressful. Wrong direction right now.
    Later - sure, good valid workout.
  • dejavuohlala
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Well, not necessarily intricacies, as it's just not a reset until you are eating at maintenance - and considering you aren't there yet, you aren't resetting yet.

So doing calmer cardio means you burn less and TDEE is less - meaning you can reach it faster/easier.
    May also mean less stress to body to make it easier to recover from what you do that can provide the most bang for your time/effort.

And yeah - you don't try to sing while doing it - that's just a gauge to the right pace - you are only requiring enough oxygen for the workout that you have enough to sing, as opposed to next level up only able to have brief conversation, compared to next level up only gasped words, and next level no speaking.

Some might do less cardio, but then make it so intense that's it's actually more stressful. Wrong direction right now.
    Later - sure, good valid workout.

Thank you @ haybales
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    I failed my deadlift today. Could not pull 260# and that's OK. A setback isn't a "no," it's a "not right now."

The weight in the bar may not always go up. The weight in the scale (or inches in the measuring tape) may not always go down. But my biggest thing I need to focus on is moving forward. Continuing what I know I need to do. Continuing what I know will work in the long run. I cannot let these numbers side track me. Slow & steady and without comparison!

I did get a squat pr- 190#.
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    My husband said my butt was getting even bigger, and that I was like a man working on his biceps. (The biggest focus). Lol. It was all a compliment! :D
  • dejavuohlala
    Options
    My husband said my butt was getting even bigger, and that I was like a man working on his biceps. (The biggest focus). Lol. It was all a compliment! :D

Don't they have a lovely way with words!!
  • dejavuohlala
    Options
    Can I just ask something. Every day for the past almost two weeks my fitbit registered 1621 everyday for calories burned(this is without any burn I have added in) I'm amazed that it is the same number each day. Does this mean this is my TDEE and isn't that very low???? confused.
  • heybales
    Options
    @dejavuohlala - Are you sure the Fitbit is working correctly - are steps showing up?
    Do you have a Fitbit you can view the stats on to confirm?

Because that sounds like BMR level they use if no steps are seen.

@jerilynconn - be aware that for squats and deads - weight on the body and weight on the bar are mutually inclusive.

That's why some people that say they get stronger in a diet aren't.
    "I lost 20 lbs and increased my squat by 15 lbs during same time."

Well - bad news - that's a loss of 5 lbs of strength actually. Should have been 20lb increase to maintain strength.
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    @heybales

I am not sure that makes sense to me. If it was fat they lost...?

I haven't lost any weight, but I have increased my squat by 35 pounds since April. I've increased my deadlifts by 25 Pounds since March. I know I increased more than that since last year but I can't find my records.

What I was talking about above was more not being controlled by those numbers, scale or on the bar.
  • dejavuohlala
    Options
    @dejavuohlala - Are you sure the Fitbit is working correctly - are steps showing up?

@jerilynconn - be aware that for squats and deads - weight on the body and weight on the bar are mutually inclusive.

Well - bad news - that's a loss of 5 lbs of strength actually. Should have been 20lb increase to maintain strength.

@haybayles yes steps are showing up and the figures are the same on the dashboard ?????? Is this a very low TDEE? Why could that be??
  • dejavuohlala
    Options

@haybayles yes steps are showing up and the figures are the same on the dashboard ?????? Is this a very low TDEE? Why could that be??

Some more info @ haybales I'm worried I may not have settings correct on MFP, my goals are set at lose 1lb per week and ' not very active' for my activity level, my Fitbit is synced to MFP so is this why my TDEE is so low????? On the Fitbit ??
  • heybales
    Options
    @heybales

I am not sure that makes sense to me. If it was fat they lost...?

I haven't lost any weight, but I have increased my squat by 35 pounds since April. I've increased my deadlifts by 25 Pounds since March. I know I increased more than that since last year but I can't find my records.

What I was talking about above was more not being controlled by those numbers, scale or on the bar.

I was just echoing your performance increases on the bar, which is true strength increase.

I merely included other comments because I've seen them claimed so many times. And something to be learned and watched out for.

If someone lost 20 lbs of fat on their body, and they do deads and squats, then they are lifting 20 lbs less of themselves (except for weight lost on calves of course).
    So their muscles had that ability to lift 20 lbs more.

So if the weight on the bar during that same time period only increases 15 lbs, they aren't even lifting the same total weight as they were before. Body + bar.
    Even if they increased 20 lbs, they only maintained strength at least, not losing it.
    Now, in a diet, that's great actually - you've maintained muscle.
    The problem is many report this as a big positive when just starting to lift - in which case they should have had increases merely from form improvements and CNS engagement - which means in the end they likely did increase strength from those factors - but lost muscle from the diet.

It's a great way to confirm what's happening when you do start a deficit eating routine - maintaining strength would mean the weight on the bar increases as weight on the body decreases.

Whereas you have seen total strength and muscle gains.
  • heybales
    Options

I'm worried I may not have settings correct on MFP, my goals are set at lose 1lb per week and ' not very active' for my activity level, my Fitbit is synced to MFP so is this why my TDEE is so low????? On the Fitbit ??

Confirm your Fitbit settings are correct, your device is using as math your BMR as foundation to calorie burn. All non-moving time in fact is given BMR level burn (which is actually underestimated when awake by decent amount).
    BMR is also used as factor for the steps and stride length, which gives distance with time makes pace, which with BMR gives very good estimate of moving calorie burn for many activities that are step based.

So if you got settings wrong - that can create low BMR and low TDEE. And this would be shown on device since that is where the math starts.

If you are doing the average weekly TDEE method (same amount eaten daily) - you do NOT want to sync Fitbit with MFP, as it will screw up your manually set eating goal.
    When manually set - your selection of activity level and weight loss goal is immaterial to any math. Only with Fitbit synced does it matter. And only on the MFP side, none of that effects the Fitbit side.

If you are doing the average weekly TDEE method, you should also NOT log any exercise, merely make a wall post about your workouts.

You use your Fitbit then (confirmed properly setup) to give you a better estimate of your TDEE from your weekly emailed reports. You may have to manually enter exercise on Fitbit depending on model used and workouts done - because it can be inaccurate on mostly weight lifting, but others too just depending.