Need help starting

Options

Replies

• TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Carol, yay on feeling different, that's great! Hey, holidays are coming and it's a great time to find your TDEE! I'm not sure if you could find how much in lbs the resistance bands are. They vary, have different densities (making them easier or harder to pull), but the numbers don't matter as long as you are improving (going from a looser band to a tighter one, for the same amount of repetitions, for example). Good job on the protein increase!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Carol, yay on feeling different, that's great! Hey, holidays are coming and it's a great time to find your TDEE! I'm not sure if you could find how much in lbs the resistance bands are. They vary, have different densities (making them easier or harder to pull), but the numbers don't matter as long as you are improving (going from a looser band to a tighter one, for the same amount of repetitions, for example). Good job on the protein increase!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL

Thank you Tereza
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Sometimes bands are sold in weight descriptions - but that's hard to gauge since stretched out it's more.

Best you could do if curious - is wrap it around some hand weights, or 2 liter bottle of water, or 1/2 gallon milk, and see if it picks up that weight when stretched to point you stretch it to.

If it picks up say 10 lbs with same stretch you give it - there ya go. If you have a 5lb one too - now you can put them together when you need more resistance to hit that progressive nature Tereza references.
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    You totally have got the hang of this Carol!
    Yes, just keep making progress with the bands.
    If some moves become easier, you can fold the band in half to make it tougher!
    Or get some new, denser ones when it gets too easy for you.
    Until then, just keep doing what you are doing and it will eventually pay dividends.
    Ichel
    EM2WL ambassador and moderator
  • dejavuohlala
    Options
    Thank you all, good ideas and suggestions thank you
  • empressichel
    Options

I love seeing your confidence and belief in this grow over time, Carol. <3
    I totally believe in you.
    Ichel
    EM2WL Ambassador and moderator
  • dejavuohlala
    Options

I love seeing your confidence and belief in this grow over time, Carol. <3
    I totally believe in you.
    Ichel

Aww bless you Ichel I'm going with the flow as they say and picking up bits and pieces and all the tips on here as I flow along. After Christmas I will reassess and see if anything has happened. I haven't felt full up in years but I do now!!!!!
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    @jerilynconn Welcome back! We missed you! I hope you had a great time and enjoyed the trip! How about sticking to the no weight-worrying trend and ditching the scale?

Tereza
    EM2WL Moderator and Team Member
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    @TerezaToledo I think I will weigh once a month or so. I like not weighing constantly. But when I never weigh I just get bigger.

A lot of people seem to be losing inches regardless of what the scale says, I'm not losing inches, or pounds. My pictures show bigger in some areas.

I do have goals, and I do want to meet them. So I thought once a month might be a good compromise. The downside may be an inaccurate reading due to high sodium or something. I plan on weighing in during the time I have historically been the lightest throughout my cycle, so hopefully that won't be a factor.
  • brileylmt
    brileylmt Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Glad you are back and have a great trip. What a great achievement, a week of fun and no gain. I usually gain when I'm gone from my routine for even a couple of days.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Glad you had a nice trip away. Breaks are wonderful to recharge and enjoy life:)
    FYI, I didnt have a decrease in inches either. I gained inches all over, including a jump in sizes over the past few years. However, my back took such a big turn in gaining muscle, so did my arms, therefore inches are gained because muscle is gained. Things just popped out.
    I know in time and when a cut is happening, those things will work out. It sucks now, and I remember saying the same things "Im gaining when everyone is losing, why is it just me?.. " Remember what Kiki said in the workshop... You are not the only one thinking and feeling these things and there will always be someone who has done it, said it, lived it before you.. You are me, threeish years ago. :)
    Keep sharing your story including the frustrations and vents, cause I guarantee, there will be someone after you who needs YOU to look back on them.
    Glad to have you back on the grid!

Kelly
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • kn7hqq
    kn7hqq Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My fitness pal is the greatest app that I have its helped me to lose 10 pounds so far my goal is to lose another 40 pounds and with my fitbirt and MFP I am determined to make this a lifestyle change and not a fad diet.
  • empressichel
    Options
    Hi @jerilynconn
    Good to see you back!
    Even if you aren't 'seeing' any changes now, stay consistent with your current routine of lifting, protein and the compound effect will catch up with you and you will see and feel changes in the months to come.
    Ichel
  • dejavuohlala
    Options
    Ooh I'm getting some muscals in my upper arms !!!!
  • empressichel
    Options
    Yay for muscles! You should notice your day to day, functional strength increase as well. Like carrying shopping bags that you used to struggle with etc.
    I love the feeling of being strong just for all the stuff I can get done.
    Ichel
  • dejavuohlala
    Options
    Yay for muscles! You should notice your day to day, functional strength increase as well. Like carrying shopping bags that you used to struggle with etc.
    I love the feeling of being strong just for all the stuff I can get done.
    Ichel

Thanks Ichel may be too old for muscals but I was trying to get rid of bingo wings !!! Lol. Hubby said I've got more muscle than him!!!!'
  • empressichel
    Options
    Hey @dejavuohlala
    Never too old for muscles! Have you seen Ernestine Shephard?
    http://ernestineshepherd.net/?p=4
    80 years young!
  • empressichel
    Options
    Plus, I got my husband to start working out too. Not the same living a long healthy life if it's not shared with him.
    Keep eating and working out and as you develop more muscle, your bingo wings will fly away!
    Ichel
  • dejavuohlala
    Options
    Plus, I got my husband to start working out too. Not the same living a long healthy life if it's not shared with him.
    Keep eating and working out and as you develop more muscle, your bingo wings will fly away!
    Ichel

Lol love it Ichel