Need help starting

Options

Replies

• dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    So I have been increasing my calorie intake slowly over the past 7 weeks. Two weeks ago I disconnected my fitbit from
    MFP account as it was confusing me. Just on the Fitbit my TDEE is showing 1750-1800 burn per day. Does that suggest lightly active??? Or sedatary ? So I have reached about 1450 do I just keep a slow increase going until I get to 1750? Then what do I do?

Thank you for you support and keeping me on the right tracks. Carol
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Hi Carol
    Yes, just keep increasing until you get to the 1750-1850 calories.
    That's all you need to do for now, don't worry about anything else or what your next move will be.
    Just get there first!
    Ichel
    EM2WL ambassador and moderator
  • dejavuohlala
    Options
    Hi Carol
    Yes, just keep increasing until you get to the 1750-1850 calories.
    That's all you need to do for now, don't worry about anything else or what your next move will be.
    Just get there first!
    Ichel

Thank you Ichel, good time to do it with Christmas coming !!!!
  • dejavuohlala
    Options
    Majority of days I'm making my
    Protein levels ( not always) but my carbs always go over, so annoying. I will look like a chicken, in fact I've started clucking!!!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'll comment that many people find that when they start going over 4000 steps, which is rather minor, you start going above what MFP consider's sedentary level of calories. And you'll start getting adjustments up.

And MFP's sedentary is actually higher than the traditional rough 5 level TDEE chart.

So sedentary is really bump on a log level of sitting around - every single day. Most easily go higher than that not even including workouts.
  • dejavuohlala
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    I'll comment that many people find that when they start going over 4000 steps, which is rather minor, you start going above what MFP consider's sedentary level of calories. And you'll start getting adjustments up.

And MFP's sedentary is actually higher than the traditional rough 5 level TDEE chart.

So sedentary is really bump on a log level of sitting around - every single day. Most easily go higher than that not even including workouts.

Sorry heybales I don't understand the reference to steps/sedentary? Do you mean that I should be using sedentary rather than lightly active??
  • scaryann1
    scaryann1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I believe what he is saying is that very few people fall under the sedentary range. With very little effort you would go up a notch to at minimum lightly active. I consider myself sedentary because of the fact if I try to do too much movement I dislocate something and end up with a major injury. Therefore I set my goal as sedentary, but then try to keep track of anything I do that gets me up off my reclining loveseat.
  • heybales
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'll comment that many people find that when they start going over 4000 steps, which is rather minor, you start going above what MFP considers sedentary level of calories. And you'll start getting adjustments up.

Sorry heybales I don't understand the reference to steps/sedentary? Do you mean that I should be using sedentary rather than lightly active??

You had a question about whether you are sedentary or lightly active.
    I was merely trying to give you some perspective.

But you never mentioned above how many steps your Fitbit reports, therefore I wouldn't think of suggesting a level.
    If in another thread I don't recall it anyway.

How many steps you get average daily?
    Your emailed Fitbit reports tell you.

More than 4000 on average?

Then that makes you ......
  • dejavuohlala
    Options
    I'll comment that many people find that when they start going over 4000 steps, which is rather minor, you start going above what MFP considers sedentary level of calories. And you'll start getting adjustments up.

You had a question about whether you are sedentary or lightly active.
    I was merely trying to give you some perspective.

But you never mentioned above how many steps your Fitbit reports, therefore I wouldn't think of suggesting a level.
    If in another thread I don't recall it anyway.

How many steps you get average daily?
    Your emailed Fitbit reports tell you.

More than 4000 on average?

Then that makes you ......

Oh I see it's around 6000 steps
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to focus this fall and winter on nailing down that tdee. I lowered my calories and I will increase by 50 every week, weighing in using Libra to track trends. Is a week enough time or should I consider two? Or do i need to be open to other numbers?

I'm hoping this can truly nail down my numbers. Because I didn't increase slowly the first time I kept gaining due to a suppressed tdee (I think).

I've been frustrated with this whole thing for the past month or so. I feel like I've totally gone backwards, into some dieting mentality. And I've lost the happy with myself/love myself as I am now. Not the way I wanted to go. And I thought it was a flash in the pan, but here I am still. I hope the mental change wasn't the flash in the pan, but it's just hiding down there. I've noticed that if I feel like I will be successful (even if not right now at this moment), I am much more positive.
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Oh Yes, the power of positive thinking works for real!
    I would stay at each level for 2 weeks or more, I don't think a week is long enough because of life anomalies.
    The diet mentality course was very intense. It opened up the bare bones of the psychology we have associated with our bodies, self worth etc.
    It's tough! Going through made me look at parts of my life and question some things.
    But that's all good, because that's how we learn and grow rather than following a path blindly. When we carve the way out for ourselves it means more, resonates deeper.
    You are still here. You aren't giving up.
    That's all you need right now.
    Ichel
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I was just expecting the course to push me higher and farther on the good path I was on... Not shove me off and bury the trail under tons and tons of debris. Lol.

I was a little afraid someone would say 2, only because it will take longer. I still have the impatience.

• Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Look at the course as something that showed you it IS possible to be out of the diet mentality mindset and be truly happy with who you are. Many of us have moments where we revert back to that old mentality thinking. Thats why it really and truly does help to make sure you are doing the steps necessary AND correctly in order to move on.

Your biggest setback has always been impatience. You allowed yourself to rush through two(?) resets and not listen when you were told to hang out at TDEE for a long while. You impatiently cut twice when you know deep down, you shouldnt have, and you got impatient when changes werent seemingly happening when you were at TDEE. Patience is key, and I know you know that:)

I think its a really good thing you are taking a step back and tracking your way back up to knowing what your true TDEE is. Take it SLOWLY. For the vast majority of us, 8-12 weeks at TDEE is NOT enough time. So dont set a time frame ahead of hitting it. All it does it put that Diet mentality back in place. (I need to get through this reset, so I can cut, and see the magic happening)..

I thought very much the same on my second reset... and it was only when I did my third (and final) reset, that I realized that in order to truly walk the path, I had to stay committed to the path. And that meant putting my hands up ( I give!!!) and truly allow myself to sit at TDEE and make sure that was second nature.Only then could I concentrate on hitting my macros every.single.day. Only then was I able to put my focus on other aspects of my journey. That is when I started learning to love who I was, even at my heaviest. That was when I stopped stressing, and starting smiling more. That was when I realized my life was passing me by and I was spending it all pissed off that I wasnt smaller. So TDEE is where not only the body can heal, but the mind can too. The longer you can give to TDEE, the happier, your mindset will be.

Kelly
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • ibtmas
    ibtmas Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hey @jerilynconn so good to see u back! I'm at my reset and whenever i gain a number somewhere in the back of my mind i have your picture! Ur positivity impressed me and i started increasing cals once going back down! All the best this time. U can do it.
  • heybales
    Options
    I was just expecting the course to push me higher and farther on the good path I was on... Not shove me off and bury the trail under tons and tons of debris. Lol.

I was a little afraid someone would say 2, only because it will take longer. I still have the impatience.

And you likely have a good idea of what 2 weeks to put together out of the month for a balanced view of a trend.

Wrong 2 weeks could feel discouraging despite knowing full well it happens every month and should be expected.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Hey all, my old account freaked out (I actually think it was the app) and I ended up having to make a new account. You can add me as a friend if you want.

I'm not currently following em2wl exactly, but I am still using so much that I learned. I lift still, and nail my macros daily. My calories are lower but I am losing weight while keeping my strength.
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Hey! I wondered how you were. Strange thing to happen. Glad you're going well.
  • ibtmas
    ibtmas Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! hope u r doing well!
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Welcome Back Jerilyn:)

Kelly
    Team EM2WL
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member