Bob Lamb - OMAD 9/6/2015

Options

Replies

• Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    How much more do you need to lose till you reach goal?
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    dajoloehr wrote: »
    I live in Kelowna BC, its wonderful, but expensive. Lots of outdoor stuff to do all year around though :)

Sounds beautiful!
  • blambo61
    edited February 2017
    Options

I'm more interested in % body fat than weight. I want to be anywhere from 12% to 7% ideally. At my current amount of lean mass, 7% would be 175, 12% would be 185, and 16% would be 195. I'm at about 22% right now. If I gain another 5-lbs of muscle, which is likely when I eventually get back to leg presses and deadlifting, 7% would be 180, 12% would be 190, and 16% would be 200.

So I want to be somewhere between 175 and 200 but would be thrilled to be 180-190 so that is about another 18-28 lbs from where I'm at if I just look at weight.

Under 200 is my next short-term goal.

I spent a lot of my younger years, tell about age 25 or so, at around 7% or under. My PE class freshman year they said I was 3.5% (caliper measurements) but that was probably off some (I was extremely lean though and I think I could have been that or at least 5%). I want to be lean again but not too lean. I used to run track and worked as a hod carrier so basically lifted weights 8-hrs a day and then ran 7-10 miles a day in addition to that (I ran track in high school and attempted to in college).
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »

I'm more interested in % body fat than weight. I want to be anywhere from 12% to 7% ideally. At my current amount of lean mass, 7% would be 175, 12% would be 185, and 16% would be 195. I'm at about 22% right now. If I gain another 5-lbs of muscle, which is likely when I eventually get back to leg presses and deadlifting, 7% would be 180, 12% would be 190, and 16% would be 200.

How do you calculate your body fat percentage? DO you need any special equipment?

• blambo61
    Options
    1MADGIRL wrote: »

How do you calculate your body fat percentage? DO you need any special equipment?

At the gym I go to they have an Inbody Machine that does that. You stand on it barefoot and hold onto some handles. I allows some current to flow through you at a couple different frequencies and looks at impedance. I'm not sure how accurate it is.
  • 1MADGIRL
    Options
    Thanks!
    Did a bit of research, apparently its 98% accurate. Not bad!
  • blambo61
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Weekly Update:

Weight Gain/Loss:
    +2lb, SW 252, 6'1", CW 211, 41lbs-lighter

Weekly Weight Gain/Loss History since back on diet (28 Nov 2016)
    +2, -1, -1, 0, -3, -2, +1, -4, +1, 0, +1, +2

Diet:
    Sat: 16:8
    Sun: 18:6
    Mon: Ate all three meals
    Tues - Thurs: 20:4
    Fri: 16:8

Exercise:
    Sat: 21:30 for 2.4 mile jog
    Sun: Rest
    Mon: about same as Sat
    Tues: weights 1-hr
    Wed: Rest
    Thurs: 20 min of 120m fast, 200m slow repeats on indoor track non-stop and then walked for 40-min
    Fri: weights 1-hr

Comments:
    Well it seems I'm kind of going the wrong direction! I had too many cheat days this last week. I took Fri and Mon off work for Pres day and ate too much. Also, yesterday was one of those days where I felt I needed to eat, I don't think I've been getting enough protein and I felt I really needed some so I went and got some! Still working out and getting stronger that way. Not too worried, but do need to stick around 210 and not go higher. If I stay there and I keep increasing with all my exercise, I'm good with that for the next couple of weeks. I will get another in-body measurement soon to see if I'm gaining any muscle or not.

Did a hard hike today up Malan's Peak in the Wasatch Mounts by Ogden Utah. 4.8-miles round trip, 2168' elevation gain, wore ice cleats on running shoes since the mountain is covered with snow. The trail was packed down pretty well since it is used a lot. I almost made it the whole way to the top without resting. Took me 75-min to the top and 60 min to get back down. Average grade of 17%.
  • dajoloehr
    dajoloehr Posts: 447 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I cannot wait until I can go hiking :) and biking. There's a trail that goes along the mountains that will take you a few towns over. 2 years ago a friend and I did almost the whole trail in about 6 hours one way, we got picked up on the other end lol.
  • Brendalea69
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Maybe your gaining muscle by lifting weights, plus you are hiking too...Good luck this week :)
  • blambo61
    Options
    Weekly Update:

Weight Gain/Loss
    -1lb, SW 252, 6'1", CW 210, 42lbs-lighter

+2, -1, -1, 0, -3, -2, +1, -4, +1, 0, +1, +2, -1

Exercise:
    Sat: Long steep mountain hike on packed snow trail. 4.8-miles round trip, average grade of 17% (2168' alt gain). Took 2:15
    Mon: weights 1-hr (legs sore still from Sat so lifted)
    Tues: Easy 30-min run, 30-min walk
    Thurs: 10-min warmup jog then 15-min of 120m fast, 200m slow repeats on indoor track, 5-min cool-down jog, walked for 30-min

Diet:
    Sat: Started at lunch
    Sun: Started with early dinner
    Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri: Ate all three meals
    Wed: Started at Dinner

Comments:
    My BMR is about 2200 cals (by my watch), I do about 300 cals of steps a day, and put in about 2200 cals of exercise/week (and climbing). The total to maintain doing that is about 2800 cals/day average. I'm usually eating about 2000-2500 cals a night. I find that eating that much all at once causes my blood sugar to be high in the mornings when I eat 100g of protein (which I need due to the exercise) and don't restrict carbs (isn't high when I'm low carb). I've decided to experiment a little and instead of eating my protein/fruit shake, then my salad w/protein, then a small dinner, I'm eating my protein and some fruit for breakfast, my salad for lunch, can snack on a little fruit after, then a small dinner. I did that this week, except Sun and Wed where I did a 20:4 IF and did lose a lb so it didn't sabotage me. Usually if I did that in the past, I would eat too much in the day and my stomach would be stretch and I would eat too much at night. Strictly controlling the breakfast and lunch content hasn't caused me to overeat in the day so I've been good there. I do have to watch how much I eat in the evening. I'm getting closer to maintenance so I view this big change for me as going to maint mode, but doing it just a little early. I don't recommend people doing this until you are close to maint. Will post and plan on doing 20:4 at least twice/week on my non-exercise days. Out!
  • blambo61
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Weekly Update:

Weight Gain/Loss
    0-lb, SW 252, 6'1", CW 210, 42lbs-lighter

+2, -1, -1, 0, -3, -2, +1, -4, +1, 0, +1, +2, -1, 0

Exercise:
    Sat: Easy 30-min run, 30-min walk
    Mon: Run 10-min easy, 20-min short steep hill repeats with jog in between, 5-min jog, 25-min walk
    Tues: Weights 1-hr
    Thurs: Parked at top of 1-mile long steep road, ran down, ran up about .7-miles and then did 3x.25-mile sections of the hill up and down. 35-min total run

Diet:
    Sat:..............................Lunch, Dinner
    Sun:........................................Dinner
    Mon:....Breakfast,....Lunch,......Dinner
    Tues....Breakfast,....Lunch,......Dinner
    Wed:.......................................Dinner
    Th:.......Breakfast,....Lunch,.....Dinner
    Fri:..........................Lunch,.....Dinner

Breakfast is 2-scoops of whey protein in water (50-g protein), a piece of fruit, and a plain piece of home-made whole wheat bread (about 300 cals)

Lunch is a salad with 1/2 cup, cheese, 1-tbs oil, 30-g of protein and a couple of pieces of fruit a little latter on. (about 600-700 cals)

Dinner is whatever we have and I try to eat smaller when I've already eaten some for the day
    I'm more in a maintenance mode now but still trying to lose a little. (try to stay about 1000 cals)

My BMR is about 2000 cals, I get in about 300 cals in walking around daily, and I do about 2000 cals of walking/running a week and lift for 2-hrs a week (??? cals). So maint for me is about 2800-3000 cals/day I would guess. I should be getting deficits of 500 cals/day or better with what I'm doing. I don't count dinner cals so dont know for sure.

Comments:
    One of the main reasons for me doing OMAD was because it was very difficult for me to not overeat during the day when I started eating. By keeping a really strict protocol as I stated above for break and lunch, I've mostly been able to keep the breakfast and lunches small (did slip up today a bit though). OMAD is nice in that you don't have to make a lot of decisions with each decision potentially not being a good one.

Another reason I did OMAD was because I would get crazy hungry when I tried to do a lot of small meals. By taking protein in, I've been avoiding that also so that hasn't been bad.

I am losing very slowly now though as can be seen above so I think what I'm doing can work for maintenance but for serious weight loss, I think OMAD is the way to go or more OMAD days than I'm currently doing. This might give some ideas for what to do at maintenance. I started OMAD about 18.5-months ago and am still down 42-lbs and am within 5-lbs of my all-time low since starting the diet. Sorry for the long post.

Good luck all!
  • blambo61
    edited March 2017
    Options
    This is my weight history since starting OMAD. Twice gained back about 10-lbs when I went to a 16:8 and wasn't strict with the quantities or just had too many splurge days.

skn6tiilc0vs.png

Most my weight loss came in the 1st 7-months and then spring break started some bad eating habits about 4/16 and then I had a lot of gout problems last year also that caused ma a lot of issues with not being able to work out and just made me miserable.
  • Brendalea69
    Options
    You've done sooo good and you now know what to do to lose and maintain, how AWESOME is that?!?!?! :)
  • leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Even after spring of 2016, you've only snuck above 220 once . . . shows this stuff works. Especially with the health problems, keeping the weight within a 15 lb range is quite remarkable.
  • blambo61
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I did gain back 10-lbs twice but I recognized I needed to get back on and was able to lose again. Joe has talked about living in a window of 10-lbs or so when at maintenance and I think he does that a bit himself. I still have a ways to go but I'm doing the things I want to do at this weight right now so I'm going to try this "maintenance" plan for a little while I think and if I start gaining, I know what to do.

I am happy to still be down after 18.5 months and not gain it all back! I've tried dieting just once before about 10-years ago and lost 40-lbs but then gained it all back and then some. I've got better tools now to deal with it.
  • blambo61
    Options
    Gain Loss for the week: 0-lbs
    SW: 252 CW: 210 Time since started Diet: 19-months

No gain/loss this week but did have some NSV (new acronym I learned this week) in running (40-min/sessions 3xweek, one speed session, one hill session, and one easier continuous run) and with lifting weights (twice/week for 60-min).

Last Monday did some 100m repeats with 300m recovery jog and got down to 4:37min/mile pace during the 100m sections. Was fun to get moving that fast. Can almost do 3x10 dips with body weight which isn't anything to get excited about but is getting better.
  • leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Very nice!
  • Brendalea69
    Options
    OMG I'm so tired just reading about those workouts :p Good job!!!
  • 1MADGIRL
    Options
    Gain Loss for the week: 0-lbs
    SW: 252 CW: 210 Time since started Diet: 19-months

No gain/loss this week but did have some NSV (new acronym I learned this week) in running (40-min/sessions 3xweek, one speed session, one hill session, and one easier continuous run) and with lifting weights (twice/week for 60-min).

Last Monday did some 100m repeats with 300m recovery jog and got down to 4:37min/mile pace during the 100m sections. Was fun to get moving that fast. Can almost do 3x10 dips with body weight which isn't anything to get excited about but is getting better.

You're getting quite fit! I hope I'll follow the same path when I'm in maintenance stage. I'm started lifting (low weights) to get used to it. When I get to maintenance I'll try to go heavier!
  • KetoKaHee
    KetoKaHee Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You're killing your workouts!! Whoo hoo!!