• leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Glad it was a good day!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Ran a 5k today. Actually I ran a minute, then walked a minute (or more), repeat. Overall was just under an 11-min/mile pace (33:25). Was slow but it was only my third run in three weeks. For the running part I averaged about 235m per minute at about 6:50min/mile pace for 1.9-miles of running and 1.2 miles of walking. Whoohoo! It is a start!

Also in the last 1and 1/2 weeks I went from 209 to 218 yesterday (or day before yesterday I think)! I've been eating multiple meals cause was on anti-biotics (and was a bit lazy). Went low carb and lower volume last couple of days and tonight I'm at 214 and will probably be back to 212 by tomorrow morning. Being injured and sick has it's challenges.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Very good, Blambo.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    5K wow!!!
  • blambo61
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Thanks Joe and Brenda!
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Fabulous! Here's to many happy jogs in the future!

(I'm a wee bit envious because I need a new knee before attempting this.)
  • blambo61
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Did a 20-hr fast today (haven't done that for a while) and then lifted. I always bonk when doing that. I tried some UCAN superstarch before I went (super slow release carb) and I didn't bonk! Too expensive to use daily though but I'm going to try this stuff running and see if it will keep me from bonking on a long run after a long fast and keep me from getting an upset stomach when I'm running hard. If it works, I will use this before a running race where I'm often limited due to upset stomach cause I ate a few hours before running. Hopefully it will allow me to run on mostly an empty stomach and not bonk.
  • Brendalea69
    Options
    Good job going 20 hours and I hope that stuff works, but too bad it's so expensive...Happy running :)
  • blambo61
    Options
    Got a 3-mile run in and a 2-mile walk this morning. Didn't feel great but didn't hurt myself and glad to get it done.

Back to 211 this morning. Was 218 earlier this week (both morning measurements also the 218 was after eating a bunch of rice night before which I find soaks up the water). Was like just starting OMAD over. I think a couple of those lost lbs were due to being somewhat low carb and losing the associated water. Hopefully I can have a good new week and lose some.
  • Brendalea69
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Good job getting back to 211, I think eating the low carbs help too, good luck next week :)
  • blambo61
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Down a lb to 210 and knocking on 209. Have fasted 20-21 hrs Mon-today this week.

Ran a 5k today and did good for me. Ran a 29:49 which is 9:34 min/mile pace. Was a hilly course also. I was expecting maybe a 10:10 min/mile pace. I'ts only my 6th run after being off for about a month so that is encouraging. My goal was to get to 9:30 pace in this 8-week series (this was week 3). Now I'm going to have to try to get to a 9:00 pace (on a flatter course).

One interesting thing was I only ate a scoop of UCAN superstarch before the run, otherwise, I was fasted and hadn't eaten anything (race was at 4:30 pm). It allowed me to not bonk and I didn't get an upset stomach like I would have if I would have eaten food even as much as 4-hrs or more before the race so it allowed me to fast longer too as well as not get an upset stomach and not bonk. I'm going to use that stuff before races.
  • Brendalea69
    Options
    Good job!!! :)
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Way to go on the loss and on the 5K!
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I admire what you do.
  • shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Awesome work
  • blambo61
    edited April 2017
    Options
    -1lb for the week so far. CW 209. Fasting about 20-hrs 5-6 days/week. Eating ad libitum when I eat. Watching carbs and limiting refined sugars and grains (not 100% but very little) but allowing whole grains, fruit, and some starchy vegetables. Snacking on nuts and sometimes berries w/cream after dinner. Running going well. I've went from a 10:50 min/mile pace on my non-race days to about 10:00 today (for 3-miles) in the last two weeks.
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Very nice on the loss, how you're eating, and your run times!
  • Brendalea69
    edited April 2017
    Options
    On your non fasting day/days do you splurge on not so healthy food such as fast food and sweets? I want to be able to once I reach my goal :)
  • blambo61
    edited April 2017
    Options
    On your non fasting day/days do you splurge on not so healthy food such as fast food and sweets? I want to be able to once I reach my goal :)

I don't much. I have to watch sweets for gout control too so I look at them as EVIL! If I do have some sweets, it is usually just a little bit or none (on a regular basis). On special occasions, I will have some and I don't worry about them at all weight-wise, it's the gout I'm worried about. I think the key with sweets is eat them after you've eaten a meal to buffer the effect they have and never alone as a snack. I will eat fast food once in a while but not much either. Just haven't wanted to but if I want to I would. Salt is the thing to watch out for there. I've gained 3-lbs in a day eating one fast food meal. It comes off in a day or two but you have to realize that.
  • blambo61
    Options

Keep up your exercise and you will be able to eat a lot of food! If you have a calorie deficit, you MUST lose weight because the energy is spent and had to come from somewhere. It doesn't matter what you eat, it doesn't matter if your doing hard exercise or not. Nothing matters cause you will lose AT LEAST what the deficit demands, otherwise you have created energy from nothing and have performed a miracle!

Having said all that, I also think you can lose fat ABOVE what a deficit demands. That part of the weight loss does depend on a lot of things like cortisol stress levels, insulin levels, meal frequency, etc. That is the part of the weight loss that we can disrupt when we eat sugary stuff, exercise hard, eat frequently, lose sleep, have stress in our lives, etc. If you eat a deficit, you are guaranteed to lose weight at least as much as the deficit. Our BMR is a moving target though and some strategies can make that lower and make it hard to have a deficit.

I think you can indulge some and if you weigh often you will be able to see what it is doing to you and can take corrective actions when needed. I think some splurging is fine. I do think for maintenance (I've been able to lose and maintain for 1.5 years now) you still need to look at meal frequency (maybe just do a 16:8 type of diet while on maintenance), you should still most of the time not eat refined sugars or just a little (not by themselves most of the time) and watch the refined grains (treat them like they are sugar cause they will spike your blood glucose more than sugar will). I personally don't think it is a good idea to give up fruits, starchy veg, milk, whole grains, legumes cause they have good nutrients and they taste good!

You will do fine!