So bloody sick of...

Options
fileshiny
fileshiny Posts: 149 Member
Cheese, eggs, butter and coconut oil. My calorie intake is down just because I can't face another meal of these items. I had a 1200 calorie deficit yesterday because I just couldn't make myself eat what I needed to eat. I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian on keto, and my macros are good (usually below 10g total carbs and only 20-25g protein at any particular meal) and I'd like to keep them that way. Any suggestions for any other lacto-ovo vegetarian keto foods that work well with my macros? (5% total carbs, 75% fats, 20% protein). I'm happy on keto otherwise, but man, soooooo sick of these foods!!

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Would a few slices of avocado help? Maybe an avocado half with an egg baked in the middle, top it off with a little salsa or sour cream?
  • erica79
    erica79 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I saw this on facebook a couple days ago. Maybe they will have some receipes in here to help.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes/going-green
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    What about cream of asparagus soup - or broccoli cheddar soup? You can use a vegetarian stock base. Also, egg drop soup could be done in the vegetarian stock base, too. Also, how do you prepare your eggs? There are about a million ways to make them...yolks runny, yolks firm, whites runny, whites firm, baked, fried, in quiche (crustless or a keto friendly crust), scrambles, omelettes, deviled, egg salad, etc., etc., etc. They can even be used to make baked custards and other things. http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2014/07/egg-fast.html Recipes are part of the way down.

Also, what about hulled hemp seeds, chia seeds, flax seeds, nuts, etc for proteins? They can be made into all kinds of things. Veggie mixed with a dressing and nuts is awesome. Also some of the leafier greens have protein...

I'm not a fan of soy, but you might be able to include soy proteins, too, if you're not at risk for hormonal issues with them.

Also, I wanted to ask - what is the reason you're vegetarian? Is it spiritual reason? A health reason? Because without an underlying NEED to keep to that program, you're naturally excluding a huge classification of foods that could help you stick to this WOE/WOL in an easier way. Supplements will be a requirement to make sure you are getting the vitamins naturally found in most meats that are not found in the items you're sticking to above.

Also, cream cheese, heavy cream, cottage cheese (this one's HUGE in protein)... all options...

@d090882 is a more restricted vegetarian, if I remember correctly, and he might be able to provide some recipe suggestions. Stir fries and zoodle dishes are good options here (mmm....homemade alfredo sauce, yes please!), just making sure to use some olive oil and/or soy sauce/coconut aminos. Mushrooms can be used as a meat substitute in many recipes.
  • landiodo
    landiodo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    What about hummus? I also add whey protein and hemp protein to mug bread. I eat soy chorizo too.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Make a list of what you *can* eat, and keep it posted in your kitchen for inspiration.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Cheesy567 wrote: »
    Make a list of what you *can* eat, and keep it posted in your kitchen for inspiration.

^^^ This - even if they are foods that you have to limit quantity or can't have every day...focusing on what you CAN have helps - rather than what's restricted.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Spinach with Almonds salad, edamame, cacao butter, vegan dark chocolate, leafy greens, avocados, macadamia nuts, olives, flax crackers, chia seeds, various oils. I'd ditto what KnitOrMiss asked. Determine your needs vs wants of being lacto-ovo vegetarian on Keto as dietary necessity or a WOE and adjust where you can. If you can open up to the possibility of fish you will have a huge variety of options. I love those huge Portobello mushrooms grilled as a steak! Good luck!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
  • fileshiny
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    what is the reason you're vegetarian?

I've been a vegetarian for 30 years, so I won't be changing at this point in my life! I find that explaining the reasons why I became a vegetarian is a lightning rod for controversy, so I'd rather not explain.

• fileshiny
    Options
    I'm afraid so many of the suggestions given, while VERY appreciated, will leave me having significantly more carbs than I have now. I am on a very low carb keto diet, aiming for a max of 20 total carbs per day, so nuts, vegetables, etc., are pretty much out except for treats.
  • fileshiny
    Options
    landiodo wrote: »
    What about hummus? I also add whey protein and hemp protein to mug bread. I eat soy chorizo too.

Unfortunately, hummus is high in carbs, and I'm trying to limit protein to a moderate intake.
  • fileshiny
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »

Thank you, but this is very high in carbs and sugar for my diet.
  • flower1964
    flower1964 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Low carb soul bread.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    fileshiny wrote: »
    lithezebra wrote: »

Thank you, but this is very high in carbs and sugar for my diet.

I leave the sugar out, or use a small amount of no carb sweetener such as erythritol. The tofu has some carbs, although if you use sprouted tofu you can get rid of a few more. The rest of the carbs, minus the fiber, are from non-starchy vegetables, which I need, and the almond or peanut butter, which help keep my dietary fat from consisting solely of saturated fat.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    When you say 20 total, do you mean 20 net? There is no advantage to being that low carb compared to 20 net, unless you are doing some kind of elimination diet.
  • jaketwin123
    jaketwin123 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid so many of the suggestions given, while VERY appreciated, will leave me having significantly more carbs than I have now. I am on a very low carb keto diet, aiming for a max of 20 total carbs per day, so nuts, vegetables, etc., are pretty much out except for treats.

although im not a vegetarian is still eat nuts,veg and keep below <20 a day especially as you can take the fibre of carbs

• jaketwin123
    jaketwin123 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    if your diet of food is so small and restrictive it's not going to be substanable,better to have more thus having variety and hopefully it will be easier and more enjoyable to stick to
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I really dig vegetables sauteed in avocado oil or olive oil, or topped with butter. What about creamed spinach? Loads of fat in a serving.
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    Since the vegetarian part of your diet is a given, I wonder if I can ask why you are so restrictive of the carbs? What is the reason that you decided to be under 20 carbs/day? This might be the sticking point that leaves you a very monotonous diet.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

Also, something to consider is that you might be able to lose as much weight at 50 grams total carbs as 50 grams. Some people are very blessed that way. A way to know your upper level ketogenic threshold would be to pick a day of the week and increase your carbs that week. So if you're at 20 this week, next week would be 25 a day, the week after 30 a day, etc., until you stop losing weight, and then you bump back down 5 grams to the weight loss range. As long as those increasing carbs come from good quality carbs and not sugars, you might be surprised how much you can push the threshold, which would enable you to add more foods back in, making this dietary plan more sustainable for you personally.

Also, I wasn't asking you to justify your choice as a vegetarian, just to consider what might be things within your personal choices that you could be flexible on. Because honestly, if you don't find a way to expand what you allow yourself to eat, and you're already bored, you're unlikely to succeed long term.

Remember that nearly all recipes can include substitutions to make them lower carb...
This discussion has been closed.