HOLIDAY DINNERS (Repost)

Options
Anaaremade
Anaaremade Posts: 23 Member
It's that time of year again. I usually host dinner and I refuse to ruin my progress for 1 day because it's a holiday. Besides, I abhor that feeling of overwhelming tiredness when I go over my carb limit.

Anyway, I would appreciate any suggestions for recipes for such occasions. My family doesn't eat low carb so I want to make something that will keep the smiles on they're faces this year. I have some time to experiment so feel free to post :)

NOTE: posted this in the LC Recipe forum but there doesn't seem to be much traffic to that group.

Replies

• RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    You can make gravies using drippings and thicken with xanthium or carb quik to decrease carbs. Salad with high fat dressing. I love stuffing so I will find some keto bread recipe to make a small batch for myself. I don't put nuts in mine but do put in plenty of veggies. I'll leave the carrots out since they are so sugar filled. I hate honey glazed anything but if you like that, try changing from honey to hickory ham. Green beans with cream sauce and bacon. Make LCHF cauliflower mashed potatoes. We've come to love those here with butter and cheese. If you want cranberry, don't used canned and make your own sauce. And there are a ton of keto pumpkin deserts out there. Yeah...biggest thing for me will be stuffing. No more Stove Top! I have to find a bread recipe that will do ok as a stuffing.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    It's Canadian Thanksgiving on Monday. I'm a keto'er but on a few days per year I go higher carb... all the way up to moderately low carb. ;)

I'll be having turkey with a small taste of stuffing (largely sausage and celery) with a drip of gravy, along with green beans in butter and worchestershire, a caesar salad, and some roasted veggies like carrots, snap peas and onions, possibly a turnip mash, and some ham. Dessert will be cheesecake and whipped cream. I doubt I'll eat at all before that meal. LOL

I'll be skipping the mashed potatoes, garlic bread, and pumpkin pie.

I basically make the same meals as before but I skip a few things and make a few other things lower carb (like using stevia drops instead of sugar). Thanksgiving doesn't have to be high carb. :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Links:
    http://cavemanketo.com/almond-bun-stuffing/ (SUPPOSEDLY BEST EVER) And has other holiday suggestions
    http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/4806/low-carb-stuffings-for-thanksgiving-and-christmas
    http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2015/12/30-paleo-christmas-recipes-with-collagen-and-gelatin/

Discussions from prior years:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10252678/Pinch-Me-Please!

Can't find others atm.

Sorry this next bit is so long, but I copied the content of someone's post - but not the link...

<NOT MINE - Not taking credit for someone else's post...>

For Yule (Christmas), we usually do duck. My oldest does goose on Christmas day (and by tradition we do ham and beans on New Years), but Yule is usually duck for us. This year, hubby and I are pretty much on our own, so I'll be making 2 small whole ducks from two different recipes, with appropriate substitutions...

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/seared-duck-breast-with-cherries-and-port-sauce-353376
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/roast-duck-with-port-garlic-sauce-4528

The cherry recipe calls for honey, which I'll substitute with a honey chamomile tea/Splenda reduction instead.

I will be making herb crusted prime rib...I will be making pesto cauliflower for my low carb veggie and salad....and for dessert I will be making a no bake pumpkin cheesecake ....I will have many guest and they are all bringing something not sure what though

@kimberwolf71 Use this recipe to make the bread for stuffing... http://joyfulgirl.org/2015/09/23/perfectprimobread/

I do braised beef short ribs. It's nice because I do them a couple days ahead & just reheat. Makes skimming the fat from the sauce easier too. Also, including a rack of lamb this year. I won't bring up the side dishes because I believe this thread was intended for low-carb ideas.

I will be making creamed kale as one side though, whereby I reduce heavy cream for the sauce...so there's that.

Use this recipe for the pierogi dough... http://theprimitivepalate.com/2015/01/20/everything-bagel-dogs/

We have a traditional Italian Christmas Eve meal of 7 different fishes/seafood. Calamari, Shrimp, Scallops, Haddock, Smelts... Yum. There is always spaghetti, but I'll skip that part.

I have made a perogy like casserole and layered egg crepes in a baking dish for the "dough" then layered cauli and cheese with fried Bain and onions. I did throw a potato and cheese layer in there in the middle.

I am Ukrainian and fish and perogies were eaten on Christmas Eve at my in- laws house. Now I'll want to make this too! I usually bake a ham on Christmas Eve these days, so I can carve up cold slices of it to have with the turkey. So I could do the perogy casserole this year too.

A couple of days before Christmas. I make head cheese out of pork head, hicks and feet, with a bit of beef shank, let it gel, and serve it at Christmas dinner. Very low carb and refreshing. I will roast a turkey at Christmas, and have various low carb options along with the regular potatoes and stuffing. Cabbage rolls filled with meat, or meatballs might also be made.

For the hashbrown casserole, I just pinned a spaghetti squash alternate for this: http://detoxinista.com/2013/02/cheesy-spaghetti-squash-casserole/ I haven't tried it, but I can definitely see spaghetti squash as a great alternative for hash browns!

That is very awesome. We also have fish with our pirogies on Christmas Eve. Also a salmon loaf with creamed peas on top. We make stuffed cabbage rolls also...not for Christmas but just a Polish/ Slovak thing. How funny our traditional foods are similar. Now the head cheese....yea I don't know about that!

If you haven't tried of heard of it....you can use radishes in place of potatoes for the hashbrowns. At my local grocery store they sell them already shredded. I have fried them with eggs, sausage and other veggies and they are very good!

https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=86798

here is just one recipe I found.

So could you also make latkes with radishes?

Hmmm yes I would think so.
    http://www.emmafrisch.com/2014/07/radish-zucchini-latkes-with-yogurt-mint-dipping-sauce.html

I found this...you would have to substitute the breadcrumbs. I used crushed plain pork rinds usually!
    They look yummy. Not sure about the sauce though... :neutral:

Hubby is Portuguese ... I think you can imagine the carby food I'll be facing at my in-laws. I'm doing a crockpot ham there and loaded "potato" (cauliflower) casserole - it's my go-to for family functions because its AMAZING. I highly recommend fresh cauliflower over frozen.
    http://food.com/recipe/just-like-loaded-baked-potatoes-casserole-95068

I never thought of combining pesto and cauliflower, but that sounds delicious! I may do that too.

Pork loin roast studded with garlic cloves, rubbed with OO and rosemary. Topped with a Boursin sauce.
    Roasted vegetables
    Spinach salad
    LC dessert...probably a cheesecake.

I am going to skip all of the other sides my family will bring.

We just decided last night that we'll make Maria Emmerich's Easy Protein "Noodle" Lasagna. It is SO GOOD, and quite easy to make. I halve the recipe and then make it serve 4, and it comes in at only 11g carbs (10 net). It tastes absolutely sinfully decadent.

I will make Sour Cream & Chive Biscuits to go with, probably. But with full fat ingredients as I always do when I make that recipe (which is amazing).

Haven't decided on a dessert yet.

With all the talk on this site, I just picked up some head cheese at Karl's Sausage Kitchen in Peabody Ma. (German deli) Can't wait!

Here's some ideas I'm working on:

- Saint Angel Triple Cream Brie coated with a light organic fig spread. (Whole foods, so good!)
    - Soft German Liverwurst mixed w Maple Bourbon and Whipped Chive Cream Cheese, served as a pate.
    - Deviled eggs
    - Cucumber rounds, topped with cream cheese & smoked salmon, caviar
    - Blood sausage with sautéed onions, baby spinach (cream and sour cream added at the end)
    - Cauliflower Rice gratin or Broccoli Cauliflower bake
    -Beef loin (main course)
    -Duck Breast
    -Green beans and almonds

I'm also showing a subset of a post on this thread from 2011. It had so many good ideas, I thought I'd revive it for other ideas:

- Feta cheese cube & olive on a stick

- Chicken skewers with satay peanut dip : http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/851647/chicken-skewers-with-satay-dip
    -
    - Chorizo & Prawn (Shrimp) on a stick

- Smoked Mackrel Pate: Flake about 4 fillets of smoked mackrel in a bowl, add 3/4 tub of cream cheese, juice of 1 lemon, some frsh chopped chives/dill and mix together. Add plenty of black pepper and a pinch of paprika.

- Halloumi (Cyrpiot squeaky cheese) skewers with parsley & lemon salsa: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4282/halloumi-skewers-with-parsley-and-lemon-salsa

- Japanese seared beef rolls: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/8804/beef-tataki-rolls

- Tuna and avocado tartare served on cucumber: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5015/cucumber-slices-with-tuna-and-avocado-tartare

- Grilled chicken & sundried tomato on a stick

- Seared sesame crusted tuna : http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5005/seared-sesamecrusted-tuna

- Good old sausages (chipolatas) wrapped in bacon.

- Greek lamb meatballs with tzatziki dip

Meatballs= 1 pack minced/ground lamb, 1/2 chopped onion, 2 cloved crushed garlic, 1 tsp cinnamon, 2 tsp oregano, 2 tsp dill, 1 tbsp ground almonds, 1 beaten egg. Combine- then chill for 1 hour before forming into balls and baking for 30 mins.

- Sour cream & chive dip with crudites.

- Italian/German meat platter (various cured & cooked meats)

- Scallops with chorizo/bacon on a stick.

- Cheese fondue with veggie dippers.

- Winter red cabbage coleslaw: red cabbage, red onion, , wholegrain mustard, mayo, a dash of vinegar.

I've always been intimidated to post in these threads, but I've gotten so many good ideas from this one! I wanted to share a green bean recipe I found last year, they're always a hit!

2 1/4 pounds fresh green beans
    3 slices of bacon
    1 medium onion, thinly sliced
    3 cloves of garlic, minced
    4 teaspoons of brown mustard
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1/4 tsp salt

1. Wash & trim green beans & cook, covered, in a large saucepan with a small amount of boiling water for 20-25 minutes until crisp-tender. Drain beans; rinse with cold water & set aside.
    2. Meanwhile, cook bacon in skillet until crisp. Remove bacon from the pan, reserving the drippings in the skillet. Drain the bacon, crumble, and set aside. Cook the onion and garlic ;in the drippings over medium heat for 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in mustard, pepper, and salt, and cook for about 30 seconds more. Toss the beans with the onion mixture; heat through. Sprinkle with the bacon. Makes 12 servings.
  • Anaaremade
    Options
    Oh WOW. Thanks so much.

KnitOrMiss, I think I will be having duck this year. Possibly fish too. I am turkey'ed out and desperately want a change. I know my mother will welcome the change. I'm thinking a large wild caught salmon as the centerpiece with duck on either sides :)

RowdysLady, Way to go on the gravy. I'm pretty sure my family can tolerate low carb, but no gravy.... I love life too much not to make some. LOL

kpk54, Green beans it is!!! Sounds great.

If I even attempt to make stuffing, cornbread stuffing being my favorite, I don't think there is enough will power on this earth to stop me from overeating it. I'm still trying to adapt to keto and I don't want to have to wait 3 days again to get back to producing them.
    I will definitely look through the suggestions with a fine tooth comb.

Thanks so much guys!!!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Fresh green beans sauteed with a little bacon and some toasted slivered almonds?

This is what I have planned for my Thanksgiving dinner...or brussel sprouts. Depends on what is cheaper at the store, tbh because I have a large family hehe
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    This went over very well last Christmas. I had someone accuse my wife of lying that this was cauliflower and not potato because she "hates cauliflower." Of course ignore the parts about using low fat in the ingredients.

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2006/09/twice-baked-cauliflower-recipe.html

• bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Anaaremade wrote: »
    Oh WOW. Thanks so much. KnitOrMiss, I think I will be having duck this year.

@Anaaremade - Is duck hard to make? I have not had it in years but always loved it. I've never cooked it though, and I'm not even sure where I could buy it. Perhaps it's in the store around the holidays and I just never paid attention.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @bametels and @Anaaremade - I've never made duck either, but someone had it on sale in the coming weeks, so I'd been wondering, too... I might start a post asking for duck recipes! LOL
  • Anaaremade
    Options
    I have to say I have never made it before. I just bought some this weekend and so I will do some research and start experimenting. It is precooked, nonetheless, I will experiment then move onto a fresh one. I'm looking to make a duck with crispy skin.

I'll keep you updated.
  • SlimSonic
    SlimSonic Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Mmmm Duck. We eat a lot of duck.

Whole birds are approx 1.5 - 2 hours in a high temp oven, pierce the skin in several places, rub a little salt all over, put them on a rack in a baking tray, that way you can collect the fat & juices as they run off....I use the fat for gravy.

Duck breast I usually just pan fry, no oil in pan, just good & smoking hot, skin side down first then slightly lower temp for meat side, adding butter to the pan juices to pour over my greens.

Hope this helps
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that avatar/pic @SlimSonic. So it doesn't get missed, I will use it here.

crcsacdkhmi7.jpg
  • Anaaremade
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that avatar/pic @SlimSonic. So it doesn't get missed, I will use it here.

crcsacdkhmi7.jpg

DITTO
  • Anaaremade
    edited October 2016
    Options
    SlimSonic wrote: »
    Mmmm Duck. We eat a lot of duck.

Whole birds are approx 1.5 - 2 hours in a high temp oven, pierce the skin in several places, rub a little salt all over, put them on a rack in a baking tray, that way you can collect the fat & juices as they run off....I use the fat for gravy.

Duck breast I usually just pan fry, no oil in pan, just good & smoking hot, skin side down first then slightly lower temp for meat side, adding butter to the pan juices to pour over my greens.

Hope this helps

Thank you!!!
    Does 400 degrees sound good? I've heard you can easily dry out duck.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    deep fry duck for 9 min per pound at 360 - deep frying is the best way in the universe to cook any kind of bird, so juicy with super crispy skin...
  • kpk54
    Options
    Ha. That's interesting, 9 minutes per pound but you're correct according to the websites I just checked. I checked only out of interest. I deep fry turkeys a few times a year and they take only ~4 minutes per pound. I've never cooked a duck in any fashion. Any idea as to why duck takes so much longer than a turkey per pound @tcunbeliever
  • coloradoartstudio
    coloradoartstudio Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've never made duck, but my grandmother used to...it was delicious! Plus, there's all those recipes that call for duck fat. :wink:

I'm hosting Thanksgiving this year and plan to wrap my turkey in bacon. I tried it years ago and it imparts amazing flavor to the bird. I'll probably stuff it with a sausage stuffing and have lots of vegetable sides.

My extended family will be here and will expect the normal fare like cubed bread stuffing, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, etc. I'll most likely make some for them, but will send it all home when they leave.

I might indulge in some sweet potatoes, but I normally mash them with butter and salt instead of the really sweet kind doused with brown sugar or marshmallows.

I don't know why, but years ago, my family started a tradition of grilling really good quality steaks on Christmas day - so this is an easy one.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure exactly why, but at a guess...duck is almost all dark meat - assuming you get a duck that actually flies, the breast will not be white meat like a turkey but dark meat due to the increased circulation of actively using that muscle...plus, turkey tends to be larger...so a 20# turkey and a 4.5# duck would both cook for about 40 min, but on a turkey there is a lot more surface area and a much larger internal cavity for the oil to actually touch and heat, where the duck is smaller with less surface area so let space for the oil to touch and heat...I would guess the internal cooking temperature is the same for both birds.
  • kpk54
    Options
    Even comparing roasting a duck (on line recipes), it takes nearly twice as long as a chicken of about the same size. I've had duck. I like duck. I need to cook a duck in some fashion. Not sure why I've never done it. I see duck in my future. :)