Coffee and what goes in...

Options

Replies

• catmigrn
    catmigrn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas! Definitely will be adding coconut oil to my coffee with almond milk. Almond milk alone was not enough. I have made my own using extracts and almond milk with sweetened condense milk but that is still using to much dairy and sugar.
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Since I'm about to try the Whole30, I started putting whole fat coconut milk in my coffee - the one in the can. I didn't think I could live without sugar and cream, but it is not bad. I added tsp of 100% cocoa too.

I love coconut cream also. I usually drink my coffee black but sometimes like a treat. I haven't tried the cocoa but will now. Love the Whole 30!
  • cozytimes
    cozytimes Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    i've heard of coconut oil before but i just put in 100ml of cashew milk to neutralize the bitterness. there's also sugar free creamers on the coffee mate brand, but i've only tried the hazelnut flavor.
  • MWBetts
    MWBetts Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use just a touch of Coffeemate non-dairy creamer (plain) and a little organic coconut palm sugar. The coconut palm sugar has just the slightest caramel flavor; very very good.
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I was a flavored creamer junkie and heavy coffee drinker. I made the switch to black coffee two weeks ago and haven't looked back. We had Folger's Classic Roast on hand and when I had my first sip, I made a face because it was so bitter. However, after asking friends for advice, I learned that salt or cinnamon could take away the bitter. I now add cinnamon to the grounds before brewing and the bitterness is gone. I bought some Starbuck's morning blend and do not need the cinnamon. I really enjoy my black coffee now. I also learned that the higher quality coffee the better, 100% Arabica Coffee isn't bitter whereas others are. The other benefit for me and now being a black coffee drinker is that I don't drink nearly as much, 2 cups in the morning and one in the afternoon, whereas before I drank a morning coffee-pot (not a typo) and 3 cups in the afternoon. lolol
  • Ronelene
    Ronelene Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Get use to it black... I was able too, and is so much easier, cheaper..and healthier..
  • prr929
    prr929 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Silk Almond milk creamer works for me, there is a tiny bit of sugar in it so that satisfies me.
  • yeyaco
    yeyaco Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Solabela wrote: »
    I am a coffee drinker. In some clean eating camps that could get a person shot I suppose, but I am counting on the fact that there have got to be other coffee lovers here.

I drink decaf for health reasons. It was a hard switch, but I made it.

The question is what to put in my coffee. There are some things we eat or drink that are just occasional treats, and I don't get too bent out of shape about those. But coffee is a daily indulgence for me. At least one cup in the morning. Sometimes two.

For as long as I have been a coffee drinker, I have added two teaspoons of white sugar and then coffee creamer (18%) but I have recently gone off dairy and I am having a hard time finding an alternative.

I tried a soy based "creamer" but I disliked it. Maybe with some practice I would adjust, but its not sold anywhere near where I live, so realistically its not a great solution.

I tried "International Delight" because its lactose free (yay for the belly) but it only comes in flavours and I don't require any sugar because its super sweet on it's own. So far this solution is winning based on the lactose free, but boy is it sweet.

There is powdered coffee whitener but who knows what that is made from.

I need to kick the sugar habit and find a whitening agent that tastes good and feels great.

Advice?

Sola

• yeyaco
    yeyaco Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am French,
    Please be indulgent with my English :-)
    I suggest you a nice solution, a flavored coffee in which it has been added ingredients to change the original flavor. Coffee can either be flavored directly by the roaster after cooking coffee or when it is prepared in a cup at home or at a coffee shop
  • rchallway
    rchallway Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am actually drinking my coffee black now. It was a HARD switch, but I did it.
    I do have a co-worker that uses the vanilla protein powder in her coffee.

However; If I had to VOTE...I think Kangoojumps has the RIGHT idea.

How did you make the jump? I was able to slowly wean myself off sugar or sweetener in my coffee but just can't seem to kick the cream habit
  • gailsivy
    gailsivy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    https://thefitnutblog.wordpress.com/2017/03/19/my-starbucks-drinks/ check out my blog post on Starbucks drinks! All low cal, no added sugar, and vegan
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I'm a coffee purist, black and I like the fork to stand up in it. I have had a few friends switch from cream to black and using a good coffee bean makes the difference. It takes a bit of searching, but Sprouts has a few blends that are good, I usually mix their Sumatra with Guatemalan. I have dropped from 2 pots to two cups since Feb. (thankfully I'm not in jail yet) I'm finding that using a French press keeps the coffee from getting bitter because it eliminates the constant cooking in a traditional pot. They are cheap and easy to clean too. 2 cups a day....I have to go, the tears are blurring the screen.
  • sylvia270
    sylvia270 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I use a vanilla protein powder with almond or cashew milk.
  • sylvia270
    sylvia270 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I also add a little cinnamon and sometimes a mix of spices such as cinnamon, cardemom, nutmeg. They are usually marketed as cake spice or something along those line but it is always a mixture of those spices and a couple of others. Cinnamon also has the health benefits such as regulating blood sugar, cholesterol and anti-inflammatory properties.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    sylvia270 wrote: »
    I also add a little cinnamon and sometimes a mix of spices such as cinnamon, cardemom, nutmeg. They are usually marketed as cake spice or something along those line but it is always a mixture of those spices and a couple of others. Cinnamon also has the health benefits such as regulating blood sugar, cholesterol and anti-inflammatory properties.

Yum, I have done cinnamon and vanilla extract, but I love the sound of the mixture of these flavors, I am going to look for something like that in the spices area today! Thanks for the idea :smiley:
  • smilesback
    smilesback Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Cold Brew has become my go-to treat. I started with Starbux Narino cold brew and bought a Bod Brew system. I explore any coarse ground coffee as well as using the Starbux filter packs. I drink iced cold brew more often than hot, and enjoy it black, or with unsweetened coconut or almond milk. It is easy on my tummy besides being tasty.
  • smilesback
    smilesback Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Old thread, sorry.
  • grandmachris8870
    grandmachris8870 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love black coffee too. Occasionally add spice for flavour and health benefits
  • ap2712500
    ap2712500 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

• WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    smilesback wrote: »
    Old thread, sorry.

It's been revived many times, I love reading all the new ideas every time :smiley: