A1c after 3 months keto

Options
asgentr
asgentr Posts: 228 Member
In October I had an A1c of 5.7, which surprised me. I started keto and three months later my A1c is 5.4, which is normal by standard health guidelines. However, it seems high to me after being keto for the period the test covers. Am I wrong to think this? I thought I might transition from keto to low carb at some point, but now I'm wondering if I need to stay keto to keep diabetes at bay.

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

As for @2t9nty, you have had amazing gains (or losses) already. I thought this might be good information to pass along to you so you don't get discouraged if your numbers seem to level off for a bit at a level higher than you would like as that is normal before getting further reductions.

@RalfLott

I am pretty determined. I am not perfect with the diet - hit 45 net carbs today, but there is a men's breakfast on Friday, and hash browns on Friday is my only splurge all week really. I seem to be mostly in a holding pattern right now with glucose levels averaging about 130 this week. Fasting is consistently the highest of the day. I know some weight loss will help things, but these things come at their own pace. If I am creating a calorie deficit and keeping carbs low, I am convinced that the numbers will improve.

Right now the lancing device that came with the OneTouch Ultramini seems to be getting tired. I have it on 7 and have to press it into my finger pretty hard to get any blood out. That is my greatest frustration right now I guess.

I appreciate the kind words.

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If you pinch your target finger against your thumb and aim for the side of your finger by the corner of your nail, that might be slightly easier.

As for hash browns ... can you conceptualize them like booze to someone who quit drinking :s ?

And, who knows you might get some other people reflecting on their diets!
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    If you pinch your target finger against your thumb and aim for the side of your finger by the corner of your nail, that might be slightly easier.

As for hash browns ... can you conceptualize them like booze to someone who quit drinking :s ?

I probably need to give up the hash browns. A challenge at the men's breakfast is that I have traditionally not eaten meat on Fridays except in the "white" seasons on the church calendar - so I am left with a cheese omelette in ordinary time or Lent/Advent.

As one of those things I have noticed since starting this new way o' eating is that I often have GI distress when I get back to the office. That may be a reaction to the carbs. I also find myself ravenously hungry in the morning before my second Friday service, and I keep peanuts in the office to stave off the munchies and reduce temptation. This is probably related to the carbs as well.

At home it is easier. I can have some meat with breakfast the rest of the week, and sometimes I have a half apple or leftover veggies from the night before.

• RalfLott
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »

I probably need to give up the hash browns. A challenge at the men's breakfast is that I have traditionally not eaten meat on Fridays except in the "white" seasons on the church calendar - so I am left with a cheese omelette in ordinary time or Lent/Advent.

As one of those things I have noticed since starting this new way o' eating is that I often have GI distress when I get back to the office. That may be a reaction to the carbs. I also find myself ravenously hungry in the morning before my second Friday service, and I keep peanuts in the office to stave off the munchies and reduce temptation. This is probably related to the carbs as well.

At home it is easier. I can have some meat with breakfast the rest of the week, and sometimes I have a half apple or leftover veggies from the night before.

I have no doubt you'll figure it out!

One of the countless great tips I picked up from a veteran here was to invest in macadamia nuts (best price at Costco). They are high in calories and fat, so you can put a real dent in your hunger with just a few of them (and not throw your macros off).
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    asgentr wrote: »
    In October I had an A1c of 5.7, which surprised me. I started keto and three months later my A1c is 5.4, which is normal by standard health guidelines. However, it seems high to me after being keto for the period the test covers. Am I wrong to think this? I thought I might transition from keto to low carb at some point, but now I'm wondering if I need to stay keto to keep diabetes at bay.

@asgentr that is awesome. The A1C I think is the average of the last three months glucose levels. After two years on Keto my A1C reading was 5.1 but that was the first time I had that test.
  • 2t9nty
    Options

I have no doubt you'll figure it out!

One of the countless great tips I picked up from a veteran here was to invest in macadamia nuts (best price at Costco). They are high in calories and fat, so you can put a real dent in your hunger with just a few of them (and not throw your macros off).

Maybe I will ask for the cheese omelette with some salsa and sour cream next week.

• RalfLott
    Options
    Mmmmmmm....... ;)
  • 17JayR
    17JayR Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Before going to lchf I also did meatless Fridays all year (excluding feast days/ seasons). But as vegetarian lchf is really hard to do, remember in America you can do some other penance/work of mercy outside of Lent. Or you could do a type of fast on Fridays, have a cup of coffee at your breakfast maybe with some heavy cream or butter, either stick with only liquids all day, or eat only 1 or 2 meals later when you can control the food more.
  • VKetoV
    VKetoV Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I fluctuate between 5.4-5.6% fairly normally in going between Low-carb & full blown keto...I would not worry about T2DM development when transitioning between the 2 diets; you are no where close to 6.5%. There are not any known benefits to lowering HbA1C to that low of an extent (less than 5%) & am very doubtful one could fall below 5% even on zero carbohydrate.
  • asgentr
    asgentr Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the insightful comments. I know 5.4 isn't a high number, but I have severe diabetes in my family. My mother died at 57 from a heart attack caused by diabetes and my grandmother had both legs amputated. I'm a late-in-life Mom myself, so in light of this history I am extra motivated to stay healthy (who isn't, right?). I recall reading somewhere that one of the LCHF experts recommends staying below 5.4 to avoid the ill effects of too much insulin/glucose (might have been Jason Fung?). I will report back if I find it.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options

Peanuts are not really nuts, they are legumes, which can cause you to be musical like anything else in that family.
    Macadamia nuts, pecans, or walnuts might give you a better result and they are heart healthy too.
  • 2t9nty
    Options

Peanuts are not really nuts, they are legumes, which can cause you to be musical like anything else in that family.
    Macadamia nuts, pecans, or walnuts might give you a better result and they are heart healthy too.

The peanuts are cheap, and that is a plus. They have 1 net carb per oz. My personal reaction to metformin has involved gas for the most part, and the "effect" has calmed down a little. The peanuts don't seem to make it any worse. It might not hurt to try something else just to see...
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    asgentr wrote: »
    Thank you for the insightful comments. I know 5.4 isn't a high number, but I have severe diabetes in my family. My mother died at 57 from a heart attack caused by diabetes and my grandmother had both legs amputated. I'm a late-in-life Mom myself, so in light of this history I am extra motivated to stay healthy (who isn't, right?). I recall reading somewhere that one of the LCHF experts recommends staying below 5.4 to avoid the ill effects of too much insulin/glucose (might have been Jason Fung?). I will report back if I find it.

@asgentr with the link is from a type 1 site it does cover A1C readings implications well. While I am pleased to have a 5.1 I am shooting for a 4.8 but not going to loose sleep over the matter.

diabetestone.com/blog-2/category/what-are-the-benefits-of-lowering-hba1c

The Legacy Effect discussion below I found to be interesting. It is a professional paper so I had to use Google a few times but the meat in the article was worth it.

jaoa.org/article.aspx?
    articleid=2093962

I started to not post the below because if one does not read to the end might think a higher A1C might be better for true diabetics.

https://diabetesselfmanagement.com/blog/higher-hba1c-healthier/
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

Right now the lancing device that came with the OneTouch Ultramini seems to be getting tired. I have it on 7 and have to press it into my finger pretty hard to get any blood out. That is my greatest frustration right now I guess.

I appreciate the kind words.

When did you change the lancet last? There's a joke among T1D's that you change your lancet on your birthday. Or when you replace the batteries in a smoke detector and other random things that you don't do very often. Lol
    In reality, it's supposed to be changed for each use but NOBODY does that!
    They do get dull.
  • 2t9nty
    Options

When did you change the lancet last? There's a joke among T1D's that you change your lancet on your birthday. Or when you replace the batteries in a smoke detector and other random things that you don't do very often. Lol
    In reality, it's supposed to be changed for each use but NOBODY does that!
    They do get dull.

I change the lancet with each new container of strips. When I first started having problems I changed it and then after one use it would not work at all - it seemed to have shortened or pushed into the base. With some firm pressure and another lancet, it is working now. I am using the 30 ga lancets, and have some 33 ga. I may try the narrower ones. The plastic construction of the lancing device seems a little cheesy, and I am not sure it would hold up to changing it too frequently.

• neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options

I change the lancet with each new container of strips. When I first started having problems I changed it and then after one use it would not work at all - it seemed to have shortened or pushed into the base. With some firm pressure and another lancet, it is working now. I am using the 30 ga lancets, and have some 33 ga. I may try the narrower ones. The plastic construction of the lancing device seems a little cheesy, and I am not sure it would hold up to changing it too frequently.

You might want to change it more frequently. When lancing is painful, people often just stop. (My spouse is in that category - even after I got her the most pain-free lancing device around {Accuchek FastClix}.)

I'm not a concerned at all about infection - but if it is painful, or not lancing, think about changing more frequently.

• neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    VKetoV wrote: »
    There are not any known benefits to lowering HbA1C to that low of an extent (less than 5%) & am very doubtful one could fall below 5% even on zero carbohydrate.

I know quite a few folks in the 4.x% range. My loose goal is to be around 4.7-4.9 (~88-94 average). Don't know if I'll get there - but if I do, I'll be confident I've beaten this thing. (My BG, so far today, hasn't hit 90 . . . but I'm due for another test after a large cabbage salad.

If the low A1c is the result of control - I agree there's no particular benefit. If the low A1c is the result of remission, being in remission is a pretty strong benefit!