It doesn't add up (my aha moment)

Options

Replies

• leanne0605
    leanne0605 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I ate closer to 2500 calories. I got on the scale this morning to see what the result would be (it doesn't bother me I'm just curious). I'm up a pound from yesterday. For comparisons sake, I did this before at the beginning of my journey. I went from eating 1900 one day to 1500 the next because it was a lazy day. The result was an increase in scale weight.

I should also add that on my 3000 caloric intake day I didn't workout. But on my 2500 day I did HIIT for 30 mins and my macros were a lot closer to where they should be. Should I be eating closer to 3000 calories a day??
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    The increase in weight is likely to be from the workout the day before.
    Fitbits, calculators etc. can just be a guide to what your actual TDEE is.
    How long have you been consistently at 2500 calories for?
    Does that account for all your workouts? As in, do you log strength training into Fitbit as it doesn't calculate that.
    This blog on finding your true TDEE is a really good read
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/how-do-i-find-my-true-tdee/
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • leanne0605
    edited April 2017
    Options
    The increase in weight is likely to be from the workout the day before.
    Fitbits, calculators etc. can just be a guide to what your actual TDEE is.
    How long have you been consistently at 2500 calories for?
    Does that account for all your workouts? As in, do you log strength training into Fitbit as it doesn't calculate that.
    This blog on finding your true TDEE is a really good read
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/how-do-i-find-my-true-tdee/
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL

I've only been at 2500 for a week. I never log strength training into fitbit. Well i have a Charge 2 so i set it to "Weights" when i workout.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You need to manually log Weights in Fitbit.
    Use the Activity Record that is created to give the you the times to use of course.

But setting it to weights is still merely a text label to make review easier instead of saying "workout".
    The calorie burn is still done by means of HR-based, which is the wrong use of the calculations for non-steady-state non-aerobic based workout.

Also - you can't discern anything from day to day weigh-ins - if doing day to day, you need at least a month's worth of data to see a trend through the noise of water weight fluctuations.

If really HIIT and not just the label slapped on a circuit training or calisthenics workout, the increase in water weight in the muscles and joints would occur.

Keep in mind to minimize the known expected water weight fluctuations, the only valid weigh-in day is:
    Morning after rest day eating normal sodium levels, not sore from last workout.
    (and if doing resistance training long enough, may not be sore but still retaining water anyway)
  • leanne0605
    edited April 2017
    Options
    How in the world did I survive at 1100-1500 calories before? I've eaten almost 1900 today and I'm still hungry. I love feeling like I'm treating my body right. I see some of my daughter's birthday cake in my near future. What's funny is that today I was thinking that I would start my cut on May 1st. Now I'm not looking forward to it.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Awesome progress leanne! yes, its amazing when we realize just how little food we were eating, and how miserable it made us.
    And yes, don't cut because you think you should. Cut when you are mentally ready. It isnt a race and the longer we can stay at tdee and heal, the better chances of long term success down the line. I actually think leading into summer, that it makes more sense to eat at tdee. Who doesnt want to enjoy those beers and ice creams without guilt?:)

So glad to hear you are getting it!!
    Kelly
    Team EM2WL
  • leanne0605
    Options
    @Raynn1 that's a good point. I guess I the motivation to cut was due to my rapidly approaching wedding. However I have to attend and/or be in three in May and June so it may be more fun to just eat at TDEE
  • heybales
    Options
    But remember, if you become more active in Spring and Summer anyway - your TDEE just went up.

You possibly could stay at or almost at current eating level and still have a deficit to that higher TDEE.
  • leanne0605
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    But remember, if you become more active in Spring and Summer anyway - your TDEE just went up.

You possibly could stay at or almost at current eating level and still have a deficit to that higher TDEE.

I didn't think about it that way. I plan to look at my average for January-April and do a cut from that number.
  • heybales
    Options
    Excellent news!

Now - just don't accidentally wash them in hot water and forget!
  • leanne0605
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Excellent news!

Now - just don't accidentally wash them in hot water and forget!

I usually only wash in cold water.

I think I put them on again in June and see what happens.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Glad you are starting to see results! Just going forward know that not all clothing size is created equal:) And sometimes what fits us in one shop won't fit us in another. Keep going!

Kelly
    Team EM2WL
  • leanne0605
    Options
    Saturday I had my fiance remove the battery from my scale and hide it. Now i'm tracking to see how long it will take for me to not think about getting on it as soon as I wake up in the morning.
  • heybales
    Options
    Got a blood pressure tester? That could distract you for other meaningful figures in the morning, including restingHR.

And that way next time you go to the Dr you can bring your BP history, instead of their one reading after walking down hallway and hopping onto table.
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Bam, Leanne! Yes, changes are happening even if the scale says the opposite! Your body composition is changing and the fact that your weight is up but you lost inches (otherwise the pants would not button at all) is the proof. Stay consistent with your plan, your body is definitely responding to what you are doing.

I know sometimes it is hard to trust the process, but it is happening!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL Certified Personal Trainer and Coach
  • kcmsmith0405
    kcmsmith0405 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Wow that is wonderful :) I am up about 7 lbs with no size changes - I would rather be up 6 and buttoning my skinny jeans!! :D Congrats!
  • leanne0605
    Options
    I was going to start my cut on May 1. But i'm feeling too good and want to focus more on getting back into a better workout routine. So I think I will hold off on my cut.
  • kcmsmith0405
    kcmsmith0405 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan!
  • leanne0605
    Options
    Ok so I was really dreading the cut but after 12 weeks of eating more I am starting my cut today.