It doesn't add up (my aha moment)

Options
leanne0605
leanne0605 Posts: 183 Member
edited March 2017 in Social Groups
So I've been doing this is February. I'm up 3.5 lbs but my strength and overall satisfaction with food as increased tremendously. I admit I still struggle with the scale number. However, today I realized how the weight gain doesn't make sense. I'm eating between 1900- 2100 calories a day and my calories burned according to fitbit is normally between 2300 and 2600 a day. There is no way I'm gaining while eating at a deficit.

With that being said....I'm going to increase my calories more

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So true, you'd be losing fat weight if eating at a deficit.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Hey leanne
    The weight gain can be from any number of things. Without knowing your past caloric intake, its hard to say why. But if you had been previously on dieting plans where calorie restriction was front and centre, your body is not sure you arent going to starve it again..Even though you are eating in a deficit, if you havent actually taken your eating level up to your maintenance level and stayed there for a bit, your body doesn't know you are actually eating more - it just thinks you are "binging" and therefore it is storing energy for when you pull the rug out again.

If you havent already, i would encourage you to read through our starter kit to help you to understand a bit more as to whats happening
    http://em2wl.com/starterkit/

The good thing is you recognize the increase in strength and energy. So those things are important to keep in your head while the scale moves about.
    Feel free to ask any more questions.

Kelly
    Team EM2WL
  • leanne0605
    Options
    Raynn1 wrote: »
    Hey leanne
    The weight gain can be from any number of things. Without knowing your past caloric intake, its hard to say why. But if you had been previously on dieting plans where calorie restriction was front and centre, your body is not sure you arent going to starve it again..Even though you are eating in a deficit, if you havent actually taken your eating level up to your maintenance level and stayed there for a bit, your body doesn't know you are actually eating more - it just thinks you are "binging" and therefore it is storing energy for when you pull the rug out again.

If you havent already, i would encourage you to read through our starter kit to help you to understand a bit more as to whats happening
    http://em2wl.com/starterkit/

The good thing is you recognize the increase in strength and energy. So those things are important to keep in your head while the scale moves about.
    Feel free to ask any more questions.

Kelly
    Team EM2WL

Hi,

I've been dieting for as long as i remember. I remember drinking slim fast shakes in middle school. I've always eaten around 1200 calories to lose weight. Before doing this I was eating anywhere from 1100-1600 calories a day. I will be trying to eat at maintenance for a several weeks and go from there.
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Hi Leanne
    With that kind of dieting background I would strongly recommend a full metabolism reset.
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/the-metabolism-reset-guide/
    It will give your body time to heal from previous under eating damage done and repair both physically and mentally.
    So glad you found the group!
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • leanne0605
    Options
    This week I am setting a goal of 2400 calories/day. Sunday and Monday I was sick so I did not reach my goal. Yesterday I ate 2313 but my macros were awful. Today I will try reach my calorie goal and maintain reasonable macros.
  • empressichel
    Options
    leanne0605 wrote: »
    This week I am setting a goal of 2400 calories/day. Sunday and Monday I was sick so I did not reach my goal. Yesterday I ate 2313 but my macros were awful. Today I will try reach my calorie goal and maintain reasonable macros.

Hi Leanne
    Great job! Just concentrate on one thing at a time!
    Get the calories up to where they should be, then when you are consistently hitting that, then look at nailing your macros.
    Just take baby steps and do one thing at a time. That way we don't get overwhelmed.
    Most important thing is the calories! Put all your energy and focus right there.
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • heybales
    Options

If the sickness had you a whole lot less active than normal - then you probably applied the life lesson correctly.

You do less, you eat less.

Besides the fact some sickness doesn't do well with food. That's usually made up later anyway when it does feel better and you get back to normal activity levels.

You do more, you eat more.
  • leanne0605
    Options

Hi Leanne
    Great job! Just concentrate on one thing at a time!
    Get the calories up to where they should be, then when you are consistently hitting that, then look at nailing your macros.
    Just take baby steps and do one thing at a time. That way we don't get overwhelmed.
    Most important thing is the calories! Put all your energy and focus right there.
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL

I will do that. It seems like I make up the extra calories in carbs. I know with proper planning I can do this.
    It's actually fun for me to see how much I can eat.
  • leanne0605
    Options
    This is tough. I hate feeling bigger but I know this process is necessary
  • heybales
    Options
    Do you feel stronger, more energetic, more able to properly handle your food amounts?

There, 3 good things (hopefully) against the 1 possible bad thing (actually bigger, or just feel bigger?).
  • leanne0605
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Do you feel stronger, more energetic, more able to properly handle your food amounts?

There, 3 good things (hopefully) against the 1 possible bad thing (actually bigger, or just feel bigger?).

Yes I feel stronger, more energetic, and can handle eating more. I've gained 4 lbs since starting this. But the pros outweigh the cons.

Thanks for that.
  • empressichel
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Keep focusing on feeling stronger and having more energy and how lousy it felt when it was the opposite.
    This process isn't easy, but like you say, so worthwhile in the big picture scheme of things.

This might help
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/reset-series-feel-control/

I think you are amazing. You've got this!
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • leanne0605
    Options
    Down a smidgen off my waist.

• jvezzsb01
    jvezzsb01 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    That's great!
  • leanne0605
    Options
    8 sets of 5 tractor tire flips yesterday.
  • leanne0605
    Options
    Yesterday was interesting. I ate over 2300 calories and was still hungry at the end of the day. Naturally, I woke up hungry this morning.
  • kcmsmith0405
    kcmsmith0405 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I was like that a lot for a couple of weeks until I hit my TDEE.
  • leanne0605
    Options
    Naturalnut wrote: »
    I was like that a lot for a couple of weeks until I hit my TDEE.

I usually burn between 2300 and 2500 calories a day (according to my Fitbit). So I thought I was pretty close.
  • leanne0605
    Options
    I ate the 3000 calories yesterday. I weighed myself this morning and my scale weight went down!
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I ate the 3000 calories yesterday. I weighed myself this morning and my scale weight went down!

Yes! Eat those calories! 3000 was a mental barrier for me...I seemed to up easily through the 2000's to 2950, but then my brain freaked out at 3000. It was only 50 cal more but the number on paper looked huge!!

Keep going until you find your TDEE. You'll feel amazing not gaining anything and eating the right amount of food for you.