January-lly committed, good things will come (Check-in Thread)

Options
krokador
krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
edited January 2018 in Social Groups
I just came up with the pun on the fly. My pun-skills have leveled up, I think! Haha :)

So I kicked off the new year with a 40ish min DDP yoga workout (strength builder. This one usually leaves my abs sore for a few days xD).

And I decided to tack on an accumulation of 2018 single arm alternating KB swings (with the 35 pounder I have at home which is ~16kg)

Been tallying it up in chunks of more or less 50 (I just did a 2 min AMRAP while my food was in the microwave and got 70, lol, and I've also been playing some game on my phone and throwing in 10 swings during battles while the animations play. MULTITASKING!)

I am currently sitting at a total of 540. I might throw in one last set of 60 before I take a shower just for the little obsessiveness I have over even numbers. But I'm gonna try to complete this in as little days as possible, because there's no way I'm doing this in a single day. My lower back and abs are just like "woah" right now and not understanding what's going on!

Btw, that "evening out" obsession is probably one of the reasons I'm so fat: when there's dessert in my family, we like to do this thing and "equalize" the leftovers so they are looking all nice and even. So then someone else goes in and wrecks it, well, you gotta fix it again, right? XD Yeah, it's not a good thing. Lol.

Anyways, I've given myself enough of a workout the past few days, I think today the calories won't count ;)

Hope you all enjoy yourselves and flock back in here starting tomorrow! Else I'll have to go hunt you all down one by one!

Replies

• mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    January Weightlifting
    Goal: 8 times ( 3 times/week)
    Done: 1/8

2/1/18
    Set A
    Squat 5x5 27 kg
    Bench press 5x5 24.5 kg
    Barbell rows 5x5 32.5 kg

Pull down 10×3 15 kg
    Pull in Seated 10×3 15 kg
    Dumbbell side raise 10×3 2.5 kg
    Triceps extension 10×2 5 kg
    Dumbbell OP 10x3 10 kg
  • chispaza
    chispaza Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I haven't been checking in regularly but I'm still at it. I didn't lift quite as often during Christmas break just because my kids were home and so I didn't spend as much time at the gym. Today is the day that I get my diet back on track. My husband surprised me with wanting to plan a trip for just the two of us in mid February so I would like to lose a few pounds by then. He's on board too so that'll make it a bit easier. I didn't go to the gym yesterday so I didn't get my StrongLifts stuff done yesterday so Wednesday I'll check back in with where I'm at with my StrongLifts.
  • krokador
    Options
    Warmed up with 5 mins of DUBZ practice (which I dubbed a "snappy" way to get warmed up. Because Ow. and quick). Not my best day yet but I can string 2 together somewhat consistently now xD

50 dang KB swings

Bench
    45x8 -> wasn't sure that was really 45 so I hunted down a bar I can actually tell what weigth it is xD
    55x5, 65x5, 75x3
    95x5, 107.5x3, 120x1
    127.5x1
    135x1
    140x1
    135x1
    115x3x2 (3 sets of 2)

Pendlay Rows
    45x6, 65x5, 75x3
    95x5, 105x3, 115x5x1 (5 sets of 1) focusing on that little squeeze at the top and not letting the bar drop super fast.
    85x3x6

Swinging Burpee Burnout 2.0 - for time:
    - 20, 16, 12, 8, 4 burpees
    - 20, 40, 60, 80, 100 hand to hand swings

I figured I'd hit on 2 things I need to work on: my tally of KB swings AND my burpee efficiency. It took 20:03 to finish this. My lower back was just blowing up at the end O_o

I did another 50 swings when I got home, so that brings the total to 1050 so far. Halfway there! Gotta vacuum here soon so let's go get that done!
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Ummmm... I’m still alive?? Today was my first day of real world after holiday traveling, sloth, and gluttony. I got as far as work, and PT. Lifting should have followed pt, but... it didn’t. Because, reasons.

What is it, the kaizen principles? Where if you make changes to habits too quickly it kicks in fight or flight and makes such change less maintainable?? That’s my story and I am sticking to it. Maybe lifting will happen tomorrow. Or maybe not, pt wants to see me three times this week, before I travel for work again next week. I see bench days in my future... Current pt has a sister office in town I am traveling to... literally down the sidewalk from office... I don’t get excuses on that one.
  • krokador
    Options
    Ugh, I don't wanna do a workout this morning, but here goes nothing. Let's keep chipping at this KB swings thingy

EMOTM x15
    1- hand to hand swings (AMAP) 38/38/36/38/36 (186 total)
    2- 10 superman reaches & row (first 2 rounds) / Hollow rocks x15 (lower back was just cramping too much with the uspermans)
    3- 8 push-ups

repeat 5 times O_o Goal was to get all push-ups unbroken and not rest during the swings, and I managed to do that pretty well :) Push-up strength is slowly coming back.

And because I'm an even-ist, I added 34 swings to bring the total to 220, bringing the tally up to 1570. Ugh. Just gonna keep chipping at it! Now it's time to shower and go back to work. I will miss the lazy mornings with nothing to worry about but the gym xD

• chispaza
    Options
    Squats
    Warm ups and then
    5x5 @ 115 lbs.

OHP
    5x5 65 lbs
    Failed on last set

Deads
    Warm ups and then
    1x5 205 lbs

5x5 assisted pull ups
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Hey. 'M back. I was out of the gym for 3 weeks due to my dad passing away in December, shortly before Christmas. Then my kiddo got a highly contagious virus, and I got sick. 2017 did not end on a happy note for me. I'm hoping better things are coming in 2018.

For now, I got back to the gym this week. Going fairly light to ease back into it after so long away. Yesterday was upper body.
    Bench: 10 each @ 52/62/72, 2×5 @ 82
    OHP 3×10 @ 52
    Seated row 3x10 @ 40
    Assisted pullups 3x5 @ -75
    Two point plank 3x10

Today lower body
    Squat 3x5 @ 135
    Deadlift 3x5 @ 135. Sam Elliot guy took it upon himself to give me form pointers. Fortunately he took it well when I gave him some back.
    Kettlebell swings 3x10 with 30 lb bell
    Jump squats 3x10
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Hey. 'M back. I was out of the gym for 3 weeks due to my dad passing away in December, shortly before Christmas.

sad about this, but laughed out loud at this:
    Fortunately he took it well when I gave him some back.

• hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Baby steps worked better today. Pt’d and gym’d ... neither was pretty... but they happened

pt put me with this little bitty tiny Satan in disguise lady for part of it... like my foot is as wide/wider than her thigh sort of tiny... she introduces herself as a student of physical therapy, and seems all meek and mild... and she was going to do the stretchy part... I get the notion this is going to be rather useless... this is where I get reminded again to not judge people... omg - like the reason I have foot to thigh comparison, is at various points, that is where she braced my foot or ankle, and put all of her into it...like it’s probably good for me... but holy smokes... and then she taught me a new way to inflict said torture on myself

So got to gym, and told trainer “I ain’t joking this time... it’s a bench day, or I’m going home” “ok, we can bench then”

So, bench 5x8 @85 - was marked as 8x15at 85 and go up from there... yeah, coming back was rough
    Incline close grip bench 12@45, 3x9@50
    Seated dumbbell press 3x10? @ 20s
    Cable fly 4x12@20
    Tricep rope extension 12@60, 3x15-20@50

4x20 straight leg lifts - yeah, calling any of these sets of 20 is being very creative. My abs are apparently still on vacation.
  • mustb60
    Options
    January Weightlifting
    Goal: 8 times ( 3 times/week)
    Done: 2/8

4/1/18
    Set B
    Squat 5x5 27 kg 59.5 lbs
    OP 5x5 22 kg 48.5 lbs
    Dead lift 5x2 45 kg 99.2 lbs
    Pull down 10×3 15 kg 33 lbs
    Pull in Seated 10×3 15 kg 33 lbs
    Dumbbell side raise 10×3 5 kg
    Triceps extension 10×2 10 kg

2/1/18
    Set A
    Squat 5x5 27 kg
    Bench press 5x5 24.5 kg
    Barbell rows 5x5 32.5 kg

Pull down 10×3 15 kg
    Pull in Seated 10×3 15 kg
    Dumbbell side raise 10×3 2.5 kg
    Triceps extension 10×2 5 kg
    Dumbbell OP 10x3 10 kg
  • krokador
    Options
    Quick check-in, as I am at work and need to get crackin' xD

1. I finished those 2018 hand to hand swings. My whole "core" area as well as upper back feel quite tight, but surprisingly today I'm not as bad as I was last night. Adaptation, perhaps?

Squats this morning, worked up to 125x5, 145x3, 165x1, 175x1, 185x1, 195x1
    did some hand power snatches, too. 75x2, 77.5x2x2, 80x1, 85x1. 87.5x1

Then I did 3 sets of 2 squats @135, the first rep being as fast out of the bottom as possible (with a controlled descent, always), and the 2nd being an actual jump squat. The weight moved impressively fast, considering! I managed to leave the ground! Woah!

Then I did an accumulated 2000m on the rower, with 5 sumo deadlifts @135 every 2 minutes. Took I think 13:23 total, so 6 sets of deadlifts total.

I tell you, tomorrow is a COMPLETE rest day O.o
  • chispaza
    Options
    When I got to the gym this morning I was informed that it was ab day. My abs are going to hate me tomorrow.
    I did some bench while waiting for the trainer to get there.
    10 x 85 lbs
    5 x 95 lbs
    3 x 100 lbs
    I'm looking forward to when I will be able to do 5 x 5 @ 100 lbs.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    was more serious and more 'quality' minded about the falls yesterday, and also did the full 3x8 sets.

success \o/ i got doms. i know it's not a blah blah, but that's not the point. when it's muscles i'm not familiar with and an exercise that makes it VERY hard to 'feel' each muscle incrementally through the full range, doms is a nice reality check on whether you used the right muscles or not. seems like i as at least in the hamstring ballpark.

abductions with 4lb now pretty straightforward. i have a little less than four weeks to my followup apt on jan 29, so time to start adding one pound per week. i'm behind on the glute bridges, basically because not going to a gym at all means i'm not progressing them with more weight.

tendon problem in itself still there. but the strength improvement is real, so trusttheprocess etc. plus, even if i stll have a crappy tendon at the end of this, i'll also still have my extra strength/muscle mass. not a net loss, so yeah.
  • krokador
    Options
    i'm behind on the glute bridges, basically because not going to a gym at all means i'm not progressing them with more weight.

how about filling a backpack (or a small duffel, too long will be awkward) with
    1. Some fluffy padded blanket
    2. a few books/heavy stuff you've got lying around the house

And just using that to add weight to your glute bridges?

Or fill an old huge laundry detergent container with sand and pad it with an old blanket held together around it by ducktape, so it doesn't hurt your hips too much when sitting on them ?
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    ^^^ good ideas, it's just that i sort of can't really be arsed :tongue: it's bad enough with bags of lentils and rice littering my bedroom as 'ankle weights' for the abduction stuff.
  • mustb60
    Options
    Hey. 'M back. I was out of the gym for 3 weeks due to my dad passing away in December, shortly before Christmas. Then my kiddo got a highly contagious virus, and I got sick. 2017 did not end on a happy note for me. I'm hoping better things are coming in 2018.

For now, I got back to the gym this week. Going fairly light to ease back into it after so long away. Yesterday was upper body.
    Bench: 10 each @ 52/62/72, 2×5 @ 82
    OHP 3×10 @ 52
    Seated row 3x10 @ 40
    Assisted pullups 3x5 @ -75
    Two point plank 3x10

Today lower body
    Squat 3x5 @ 135
    Deadlift 3x5 @ 135. Sam Elliot guy took it upon himself to give me form pointers. Fortunately he took it well when I gave him some back.
    Kettlebell swings 3x10 with 30 lb bell
    Jump squats 3x10

Wish you have a better year than the last one. I am sorry about your loss.
  • chispaza
    Options
    Squats - These are still sucking but maybe not quite as bad.....I don't know.
    10 x 45 lbs
    3 x 75 lbs
    5 x 5 115 lbs.
    I felt like my form and depth remained good throughout so there's that. I think I might do the same weight next time and video myself so I can really see if form and depth are good.

Rows
    5 x 5 80 lbs

Bench
    10 x 45 lbs with close grip
    5 x 5 90 lbs.
    These felt good and weren't too difficult so I feel like I'm finally progressing well here.

1 hour yoga
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    6.5 pounds for abductions today in trainer space \o/ this means i can ditch the rice bags and other workarounds, and bring in the 7.5 plate that he gave away about a year ago, and which has been sitting rusting on the shelf on my back deck ever since.

i did not-really nordic falls but not properly because the structure we rigged up for them isn't as solid as my bedroom setup. i stuff my feet under the crossbar of his bench rack, but it's just low enough that i can't square them properly. then that affects what they activate, and with my left foot turned inwards i end up aggravating things more than i help anything. so i did them, but i was half-hearted and gave up pretty soon. on the other hand, mr t has facilities for me to do bridges with weight, so i got under the bar and did that instead with 90 pounds.

basically on this rehab thing, abduction is getting to be my cop-out thing. it's the one i can do and that works and is rewarding, so i sort of mail in an attempt at the other stuff and then go do more abductions as my 'excuse' when i give up.

one positive thing that showed up early and is still there though: i still am not getting the terrible hip snap when i alternate-arm-and-leg it while doing deadbugs.
  • krokador
    Options
    deadlift and OHP: last "heavy" day before the online meet. Wasn't feeling awesome this morning. Squats left me more sore than I expected (I blame the jump squats more than the heavy single), and I had subway last night and boy the inflammation! So, note to self: junk food makes you feel like crap. Don't do it.

deads 95x6, 115x5, 135x3, 170x5, 190x3, 215x1, 225x1, 235x1, 245x1

OHP 35x5, 45x5 (using woman's bar still, so take off like 2lbs for each, technically), 55x3, 67.5x5, 77.5x3, 85x1, 92.5x1,
    100xfail (I think I didn't rest enough here),
    102.5x accidental push press - must've psyched myself out, I wanted to make sure the weight got up, and I push-pressed it -_-'
    102.5x1 mighty grinder but I think this one was strict
    Push press 95x6 as a backoff set, since my body wanted to do those today, lol

block pulls 165x8, 175x5, 175x6 (my lockout sucks, so I wanted to practice it without needing to pull from the floor)

Should've seen the xfit room at the point where I finished. There were NO bumpers left in the storage pins, and it was an OCR just trying to GET the plates back there. Lol

I finished off the session with 4 sets of assisted dips and pull-ups on the machine, and 20 mins on the treadmill because it's too damn cold to go for a walk today.

Thinking tomorrow will be my last WOD-day, I just wanna do some clean and jerks now that my neck feels better!
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    falls without the band harness today. because i was too lazy to climb into it so i just did the extra work of doing them without it. could mean i'm stronger, could mean i've worked out some way of cheating the move. dunno.

actually a lot of it is feeling that way now that i'm strong enough that i don't feel the specific muscle nearly as much. still. i guess the weight can't lie too much about stuff like this.

abductions 7.5 pounds. idk but i guess i was doing them. other things unremarkable - i've realised that i can raise my left leg if i'm in a side plank, but the right one vergeet maar. hip muscles on the left can sustain a normal side-plank, but they're not having that going on.

front plank form has improved, i think. i hope anyway. i'm starting to throw in some single-leg lifting just to pass the time i'm meant to spend doig them.

some soreness yesterday which i guess i'll blame on the friday bridges. it's a quandary now, because bridging without weight used to mess me up badly, and this time the fallout as far less for a whole 90 pounds. think i'll back off though, because 'more weight and hurts less, good to go' was how i got into this mess to begin with. and yeah i know what the obvious solution is :tongue:

i'm also giving my left leg and glute a little extra love with flat-on-floor isometric/eccentric stuff. for the hamstrings slowwww slow knee extension with a little weight, and for the glutes just using them to lift the leg off the floor. there's some progress there in that i think i sometimes use my actual glutes, not just my hamstrings.

i have to admit i'm really liking this no-hip-flexion thing. i mean, it's a holiday and it's been sanctioned. but it also feels weird because, well. three and a half years of deadlifts-and-squat-no-matter-what, is why.