January-lly committed, good things will come (Check-in Thread)

Options
1235»

Replies

• amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Lower body today. I haven't really been following a plan lately, just sort of doing my own thing. I'll probably go back to 5/3/1 soon.

Pause squats (3 sec pause) 3x5 @ 125
    Sumo DL 1x3 @ 175, 1x2 @ 195, Fail at 200. I contemplated trying again but was getting black spots in my vision when I tried the 200 so I decided to save it for another day.
    Bulgarian split squats with 20 lb weight: 3x20
    Good mornings w/ 45 lb bar 3x5

My hamstrings and butt are going to feel it tomorrow! That 200 lb DL is mine soon...
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    checked in with sports doc today - a DISGUSTING day of monsoon-grade rain. i put on rain pants for the trip :)

verdict is #meh. he says i am on the right path and there's improvement, so there is that. but on the other hand it also transpires i haven't been using the glute med at all very much. he re-set me and re-reminded me what muscle it is, gave me an alternative move to the falls since i still can't set up for that solidly. and carry on.

one other thing. he sent me to have a different kind of hip x-ray done, since i'm having a lot of trouble with the right one right now. supposed to go back in a week to hear those results, le sigh.

just sulking. overall it doesn't seem like this seam has been tapped out yet, and maybe if i can focus the drills a little mroe accurately there's a big range of progress here still to be made. i bussed down but walked the two or three miles home afterwards, because i've gotten obsessed about opera suddenly and i wanted to sing a couple of the most earwormy pieces out loud.

they're hard work. when you don't know the words, especially :tongue:
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    January Weightlifting
    Goal: 10 times
    Done: 7/10

29/1/18
    Squat 5x5 29.5 kg 65 lbs
    Bench press 5x5 27 kg 59.5 lbs
    Barbell rows 4x7 1x5 32.5 71.6 lbs
    Pull down 10×3 15 kg
    Pull in Seated 10×3 15 kg
    Dumbbell side raise 10×3 2.5 kg
    Triceps extension 10×2 5 kg
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Haven't been reporting, but I'm still here. Just not feeling all that social atm.

Today was Squats 3 + 35x3 day 5, I believe

Back squat 125x3, 145x3, 162.5x5, 125x10

every 2 min x 12
    - 6 strict 2DB/KB OH press (25/30/30/30/25/25)
    - 6 front rack 2DB/KB squat (25/30x5)

2 min rest

30-20-10 for time (cap 10 minute)
    - strict pull-ups (assisted w/ gray band)
    - alt 1 arm KB clean & press @ 35

I got through the 20 pull-ups and 14 C&P @ timecap

not my best session ever, but I do feel like I gave it all I had. Taking things in stride. Still sore from the weekend's sessions, so I wasn't expecting miracles, ha!
  • chispaza
    chispaza Posts: 153 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Went to the gym last night instead of the morning which always means that I'm going to have to wait longer to get the squat rack.
    Did rows first and was able to do 5x5 at 95 lb.
    Then moved on to deads and got up to 1x5 at 205 lb. I have been doing 215 lb but I think I've been arching my back and my back has hurt for the next day or two after when I've done 215 lb so I decided to take it easy last night.
    Then did squats and took it easy on those too. Did my warm-ups and then did 3x5 at 125 lb.
    Did something weird to my shoulder while doing squats, I'm not sure how you do that but I did. So, we'll see how it goes at the gym today.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Apparently it is the week for “meh” follow ups with docs of the yes, progress, but not progress they wanted sort.

Follow up doc appointment, followed by pt. Still no running, boo. Things are moving way better (to the point the right ankle is falling behind), there hasn’t been swelling in 3 weeks. But we still have poppy/clicky/catching whatever it is going on. And the instability is at best no better, and actually possibly worse with the new found range of motion. Another follow up in 4 weeks.
    Deceptively evil Little pt gal got ahold of me again the last two days. Yesterday was graston. And she left plenty of love marks from that, which made her laugh today. Today is a very interesting taping job. I think she said I have navicular, too. Or maybe that was just the way she was explaining the issue to this country girl. But she did the tape job to keep the navicular bone where she wants it, so maybe she actually meant what she said.

I had intentions of lifting today... but between severity of pt, and the fact my foot is taped up in a way it’s not used to, and the fact the tape job is in attempt to train certain things to stay where she put them.... i decidedly squats And the like would at best hurt like heck, and would probably undo what pt lady tried to do, and I don’t want to do that again. So... lazy won, perhaps smart and lazy, but lazy none the less.
  • mustb60
    edited January 2018
    Options

Last day of January, happy to have a new PR in Deadlift today, my long time dream, lifted 50 kg/110 lbs today!! Yay!! \o/
    :)

January Weightlifting
    Goal: 10 times ( 3 tim/wk)
    Done: 8/10

31/1/18
    Set B
    Squat 5x5 29.5 kg 65 lbs
    OP 5x5 24.5 kg 54 lbs
    Dead lift 5x2 50 kg 110.2 lbs

29/1/18
    Set A
    Squat 5x5 29.5 kg 65 lbs
    Barbell rows 3x6 1x8 1x10 32.5 kg
    71.6 lbs
    Pull down 10×3 15 kg

22/1/18
    Set B
    Squat 5x5 29.5 kg 65 lbs
    OP 5x5 24.5 kg 54 lbs
    Dead lift 5x2 47.5 kg 104.7 lbs
    Pull down 10×3 20 kg
    Pull in Seated 15×3 15 kg

18/1/18
    Set A
    Squat 5x5 27 kg 59.5 lbs
    Barbell rows 3x6 1x8 1x10 32.5 kg
    71.6 lbs
    Pull down 10×3 15 kg

12/1/18
    Set B
    Squat 5x5 27 kg 59.5 lbs
    OP 5x5 22 kg 48.5 lbs
    Dead lift 5x2 45 kg 99.2 lbs
    Dumbbell side raise 10×3 5 kg
    Triceps extension 10×2 10 kg

9/1/18
    Set A
    Squat 5x5 27 kg
    Bench press 5x5 24.5 kg
    Barbell rows 5x7 30 kg

Pull down 10×3 15 kg
    Dumbbell OP 10x3 10 kg

4/1/18
    Set B
    Squat 5x5 27 kg 59.5 lbs
    OP 5x5 22 kg 48.5 lbs
    Dead lift 5x2 45 kg 99.2 lbs
    Pull down 10×3 15 kg 33 lbs
    Pull in Seated 10×3 15 kg 33 lbs
    Dumbbell side raise 10×3 5 kg
    Triceps extension 10×2 10 kg

2/1/18
    Set A
    Squat 5x5 27 kg
    Bench press 5x5 24.5 kg
    Barbell rows 5x5 32.5 kg

Pull down 10×3 15 kg
    Dumbbell OP 10x3 10 kg
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    If I may add to the "meh" follow-up thing: I'm going to need to address some issues myself and you guys are making me feel rather meh about it all. Leave it to really crappy diet for a few days and new levels of inflammation to remind you where your scar tissue lies and things could go wrong again O_o. Right knee and lower back (SI joint area) have been on FIRE, so although I haven't had issues with those in a while, I really gotta be careful, since I figure this means the stuff around there hasn't completely, well, healed. My right shoulder is fine though, so I guess I did that one right. Left shoulder had been giving me grief lately (super uneven pushing pattern, esp. on the overhead press). As it turns out, some self assessment has taken me to the conclusion there is something restricting my movement when my scap is retracted and I'm not bending my arm going straight up.

So, fun times ahead. And oh hey, I'll have a week to do hotel workouts, so maybe I can look into that xD

Today was bench, rows and cardio

Bench 90x3, 105x3, 117.5x6 (? I have a blank here xD), 95x8

Pendlay Rows 85x3, 100x3, 112.5x8, 85x13

every 2 min x 20 mins
    10 sumo deadlift KB high pulls (20kg)
    straight into prowler sprint x 10m to and from @ 35lbs (45 on the last round)

this one always gets my heart pumping LOUD and it's quite effective, for how short it is :)

• canadianlbs
    Options
    mustb60 wrote: »
    Last day of January, happy to have a new PR in Deadlift today, my long time dream, lifted 50 kg/110 lbs today!! Yay!! \o/

congratulations. that's really awesome.

krokador wrote: »
    If I may add to the "meh" follow-up thing: I'm going to need to address some issues myself and you guys are making me feel rather meh about it all.

i feel crappy now for being such a downer. and kind of frivolously too, because it's not really like my entire day was ruined by that followup.
  • hanlonsk
    Options
    I ended up getting called out on skipping gym yesterday, one of the other trainers messaged me about doc appt to see if any new modifications needed made...and then “well, now that you are here.. you may as well...” I wasn’t about to go heavy because I was not entirely sure how foot was under me, or if it would stay there, and as mentioned, yesterday’s stuff didn’t tickle. So, got talked into some wall balls, and inverted rows... they were trying to talk me into more, and I just wasn’t having it. But between the wall balls, and gimping around today.... my quads HURT so, I clearly did some amount of worthwhile. Despite trying really hard to be lazy.

And although bone relocating tape job is still not particularly pleasant.... i don’t think the ankle has done it’s poppy thing since last night.... which might be partially explainable by the gimping... but even as I’ve been gimping less, that hasn’t changed. So the tiny evil lady might be on to something. Hopefully that something starts to hurt less soon.

• canadianlbs
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    And although bone relocating tape job is still not particularly pleasant.... i don’t think the ankle has done it’s poppy thing since last night

this would be CRAZY if it turned out you've had an extra bone all along that explains some of this. i googled navicular, by the way. something that i didn't know about yesterday.

for myself, i'm sort of looking forward to seeing sports doc next week about this x-ray. nervous too, because i don' tknow how i'll react if he comes in and throws something new at me like osteoarthritis in that right side, which is now being so horrible. but assuming it isn't that (it can't be, right? osteo doesn't just suddenly show up overnight, and this literally did), i really really would like to get an actual look at my own hip sockets. i want to know what my anthropometry's like, whether it's severely abnormal or completely mundane. i just want to know.

spent today almost literally with/on my hamstrings and that glute. sports doc says the hamstring is coming along, but when i explained my problems with equipment for the nordic falls he agreed that i shouldn't do them if i can't set up square enough to be sure i'm not just making new problems for other tissue that has been fine until now. instead he put me back on the table-top plank thing. it's pretty neat, for something that seems so tame. just lie on the floor and hook your heels onto any surface that you can reach comfortably. couch arm, kitchen counter, whatever.

now use your hamstrings only and bridge yourself up with straight legs. he told me to start with 3x20 sec holds, then progress to one leg at a time, adn then start adding in the eccentric lowering too. i'm doing that anyway, becuase duh you have to go back to the floor sooner or later with them. but i'm liking it because it's slow and simple enough that i can really concentrate on getting into the muscle i want to work with.

aside from that, repeated projects in the big campaign to do the hip abduction WITHOUT glute maximus. i'm not sure if i'm getting it right, but i got something to burn pretty hard and if i went by the sensation it would be my glute med and or minimus, so i guess i'll take that for now. i'm back down to about four pounds just because it seems really unlikely i'd be managing 7.5 if i had the right muscles, given how weak his test showed them up for (still) being.

nothing else going on. the good news is that he did say there was progress, and that does actually line up with the impression i've had my own self. so i guess i'll block off another two weeks, which would take me exactly to the two-month mark. and try to do this rehab more precisely and see where two weeks will get me.
  • mustb60
    Options
    mustb60 wrote: »

congratulations. that's really awesome.

krokador wrote: »
    If I may add to the "meh" follow-up thing: I'm going to need to address some issues myself and you guys are making me feel rather meh about it all.
    Thank you! :smile:
  • hanlonsk
    Options
    @canadianlbs yeah, after my own googling I think I have more questions for her.

Because my brain jumped to navicular in horses. Which is a common source of lameness. And is kind of a mad tendon/ligament, degenerative lameness thing, so in a weird way made sense but I knew wasn’t quite what she meant due to anatomy, but assumed she might be trying to give an explanation in a way that I could relate to.

Then she actually was manipulating the placement of my navicular bone, and taped the devil out of things to attempt to keep it where she put it... so then I guessed she meant something about the placement of bone itself

Then I get home and find out there is actually a navicular syndrome in people. And decided I had totally misunderstood.... but at the same time... I would hope, that as many people have looked at my darn X-ray and mri.... someone might have, just maybe, mentioned if there was an extra bone in there.

So, really need to figure out which of the 3 options she actually was trying to convey.

Really, all I know currently is this waking up at 3 am and not go back to sleep business is getting really old, and as much as I enjoy you lovely people, I should not be talking to you right now.
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Monday, workout a:
    Squat bw, 55, 5x5
    Bench 50, 5x5
    Row 70 5,5,5,3,3

Failed on row the last two sets, and even before, I don't think I was getting the full Rom. I'm just not strong. The next day, I experimented with rows, starting at the empty bar (20lbs). I found that at 40lbs, I had full Rom, but at 50lbs, I couldn't get that last little squeeze to my bra band. It might be worth mentioning that I broke the spinous process of my t8 vertebra back in November, which might effect this lift. I don't feel pain with the lift, but I do wonder if it's holding me back. Or maybe I really am that weak.

Wednesday workout b:
    Squat bw, 30, 60 5,5,5,3,3
    OHP 50 5, 3, 2, 3, 0
    DL 105 1x5

Really terrible today. Failed at basically everything. Couldn't even get the bar off the rack for last set of OHP. DL were downright ugly. I don't understand why I'm failing at everything so soon. I did the program before, and looking back at my records, I was up to 75lbs squats, 60lbs OHP, 75lbs bench, 70lbs rows. I didn't do DL at that time, so no record of that, but still...! The only difference is that before, I started with bar weight, and worked up much slower, only increasing 5lbs once a week instead of every workout.