Increasing Calories - What to expect & why you need patience...

Options

Replies

• CarrieStL
    CarrieStL Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    This is really good stuff, Kiki. Truly.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Just re-read this cause bloat is getting me down! I gotta stick with it, hasn't been a week yet, but I need to be patient :)
  • Stobes80
    Stobes80 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have been doing EM2LW since the 4th of January, so I have been doing it for two weeks exactly. I read this post because I have gained two kilos in that time. However, I will give it another two weeks and see how I go then.
  • bekdavis
    bekdavis Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! Loved reading this. I am very excited about my new chapter of healthy living. :-)
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Fantastic post! It worked for me! Took 6 weeks to regain a few, stabilize and start to lose again.

I used this spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGVTbGswLUUzUHNVVUlNSW9wZWloeUE

I thought it more thorough than Scooby's calculators.

How do you change the numbers to work with your own info ?? Im not good with these kinds of forms
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Fantastic post! It worked for me! Took 6 weeks to regain a few, stabilize and start to lose again.

I used this spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGVTbGswLUUzUHNVVUlNSW9wZWloeUE

I thought it more thorough than Scooby's calculators.

How do you change the numbers to work with your own info ?? Im not good with these kinds of forms

Top lines point out 2 different options for saving it as your own. Big bold red letters.

Can't have you changing the numbers in the master sheet, or you'd never finish before someone changed your numbers to theirs.
  • berthabunny
    berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I think I needed to read this!
    I am an eighteen-year-old girl, weighing 155 from August to December, lost weight over Christmas, down to 150 currently. I have been eating 1200-1400 calories since September, and ate more over Christmas (1500 ish). I exercise 2h+ a day (swimming and dryland), which also decreased over Christmas, and I still lost those 5 pounds and have not regained them. Started working out more and eating less as before Christmas, and haven't been losing.
    (http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/) Harris-Benedict BMR calculator gave me 1533. I average around 1000 burned calories according to MFP exercise calculations (some days we have doubles, then about 1500, some days short or no practice, so way less).
    I am 5'6", and have 38" bust, 26" waist and 40", with a fair amount of muscle, but definitely have a layer of fat, especially on my hips.
    Any advice greatly appreciated!
    Thanks
  • heybales
    Options
    I think I needed to read this!
    I am an eighteen-year-old girl, weighing 155 from August to December, lost weight over Christmas, down to 150 currently. I have been eating 1200-1400 calories since September, and ate more over Christmas (1500 ish). I exercise 2h+ a day (swimming and dryland), which also decreased over Christmas, and I still lost those 5 pounds and have not regained them. Started working out more and eating less as before Christmas, and haven't been losing.
    (http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/) Harris-Benedict BMR calculator gave me 1533. I average around 1000 burned calories according to MFP exercise calculations (some days we have doubles, then about 1500, some days short or no practice, so way less).
    I am 5'6", and have 38" bust, 26" waist and 40", with a fair amount of muscle, but definitely have a layer of fat, especially on my hips.
    Any advice greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

Use the spreadsheet referenced above since you have a lot of required activity.

So sounds like you proved to yourself what works just fine - you ate more, you exercised less, meaning less deficit, and it worked.

Now you are back to eating less, and exercising more, and not losing.

See a pattern? Yes, you needed to read this if that much exercise is expected and needed out of you for whatever reason.

If that much exercise is for weight loss - you are making it harder actually.

If you have properly setup HRM that can have a good chance to give you calorie burn estimates that are accurate, then you might want to do the eat-back method, just based on better numbers.

So in that spreadsheet, don't put real exercise in the Activity Calculator, just everything else. Then go to the MFP Tweak tab and read through how you'd use that for eating back correctly.
  • berthabunny
    berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'll give the spreadsheet a try, thanks!
  • lisa483
    lisa483 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have just started EM2WL. I lost about 28lb on 1200cals a day but then plateaued and could never understand why, until now.

When I hit a plateau about 9 months ago I was getting frustrated, so I decided to try another diet "Slimming World" (UK based). The scales started moving again and I lost about another 14lb, I thought I was on the right track, until I started hitting a plateau again.

What I have come to understand, is that when I started Slimming World, the reason I was losing weight is because I was eating more calories than before. I have always logged on MFP even when doing Slimming World and found that now when I look back that I was consuming more than 1200cals and that is why I started losing again, until my recent plateau

I was getting fed up yet again and was looking over things, what is different, what did I do different that week etc. I started reading more EM2WL and I figured out my problem and it showed in my diary. I slipped netting around 1200 cals a day through Slimming World and that again is why I stalled.

I am now on my first week back calorie counting and upping my calories. I have worked out my BMR and TDEE and figured 1500 is a good place for me to start.

I am ready for maybe a few wks of gains or maintenances to get my body working back the right way, because I know when I changed diets last time that my body had to adjust,and it was literally because I was eating more. It took between 2-4wks to get moving again.

I am also going to start introducing strength training 3 times per week. I will admit that I have been very lazy before now and most of my weight loss has been through dieting alone, but now its time to get stronger and shape my body as I only have about 16lbs left to lose

My starting weight was 196lbs - 14lb loss before joining MFP
    My current weight is 142lb
    Height 5ft 6"
    29 yrs old

Please feel free to give any advice on if I should up be eating more than 1500 any help would be great :0)
  • SheriKCourtney
    Options
    You are awesome!! I am that person ~ the calorie restriction then weight loss then binge and gain and repeat and repeat......but it gets harder and harder. This time I will succeed, I will be good to my body. Thank you so much for the straight forward encouragement!!
  • heybales
    Options
    I am also going to start introducing strength training 3 times per week. I will admit that I have been very lazy before now and most of my weight loss has been through dieting alone, but now its time to get stronger and shape my body as I only have about 16lbs left to lose

Height 5ft 6"
    29 yrs old

Please feel free to give any advice on if I should up be eating more than 1500 any help would be great :0)

BMR - 1552.

Yes, I'd say you still missed the concept here.

That's what your body would like to burn, if it could get it, by sleeping 24 hrs daily.

Is that your activity level?
    Do you want your exercise to get the best results from the time you spend doing it?

Don't shoot your body in the metabolism thinking you are playing it safe and better, you've already proven that route.
  • lisa483
    Options

Height 5ft 6"
    29 yrs old

BMR - 1552.

That's what your body would like to burn, if it could get it, by sleeping 24 hrs daily.

Do you want your exercise to get the best results from the time you spend doing it?

Don't shoot your body in the metabolism thinking you are playing it safe and better, you've already proven that route.

Thanks for the reply

I'm a little confused on how you got that number for my BMR, I have got it at 1440.

My activity level would be light at the moment maybe a few hours a wk of squats, lunges etc.

I would definately want the best results from however much time I spend on exercise

I have a desk job so most of my day is sitting and im not sure if my activity would be sedentary due to light training at the moment

Im worried ill be eating over my TDEE if I choose incorrect
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Been reading all this and am giving it a try. I don't really think I am at a plateau, just trying to figure out how much I can eat, and get down to a size & shape I like. I found a website to figure TEE using sex, weight, height, and age, and you enter in how many minutes & hours you spend in the following: sleeping, sitting, standing/walking, light-mod-intense exercise. Has little dials to input the time, seems pretty precise. It gives you a chart to keep track of all your time, which I really like, but might be too much for some people. Wonder if anyone else has used it & how accurate it is. (they say really accurate) My BMR on it matches everything else I have used (including my handheld Omron BF), but my TEE is about 5-600 more than my Fitbit shows. Maybe because even standing takes more calories than sitting, and if I'm not moving Fitbit doesn't know if I am sitting, sleeping, or whatever? Hoping it is more right (?) , so I can eat more. :wink:

Website is: www.health/calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced
  • heybales
    Options
    Been reading all this and am giving it a try. I don't really think I am at a plateau, just trying to figure out how much I can eat, and get down to a size & shape I like. I found a website to figure TEE using sex, weight, height, and age, and you enter in how many minutes & hours you spend in the following: sleeping, sitting, standing/walking, light-mod-intense exercise. Has little dials to input the time, seems pretty precise. It gives you a chart to keep track of all your time, which I really like, but might be too much for some people. Wonder if anyone else has used it & how accurate it is. (they say really accurate) My BMR on it matches everything else I have used (including my handheld Omron BF), but my TEE is about 5-600 more than my Fitbit shows. Maybe because even standing takes more calories than sitting, and if I'm not moving Fitbit doesn't know if I am sitting, sleeping, or whatever? Hoping it is more right (?) , so I can eat more. :wink:

Website is: www.health/calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

There are only 3 BMR formula's, so ya that's about the same, Harris oldest from 1919 study, Mifflin in '80's about 5% more accurate, Katch in '80's based on bf% considered most accurate.

That TDEE estimate is indeed better than traditional TDEE table since that is from same 1919 study.

That site, this site, and this spreadsheet use that newer study methods of estimating TDEE using actual time at different levels.

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html

Problem with those sites is trying to take a weekly routine of time back to a daily avg, but you only get to enter 1 day of activity, so you have to figure the avg out yourself.

This spreadsheet you just enter the full time in weekly, it does the rest. And it assumes sedentary desk job with other light daily activity.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones
  • heybales
    Options

Height 5ft 6"
    29 yrs old

BMR - 1552.

Thanks for the reply

I'm a little confused on how you got that number for my BMR, I have got it at 1440.

My activity level would be light at the moment maybe a few hours a wk of squats, lunges etc.

I would definately want the best results from however much time I spend on exercise

I have a desk job so most of my day is sitting and im not sure if my activity would be sedentary due to light training at the moment

That is your Mifflin BMR for your stats given.
    Harris BMR is inflated 1611.

So if you got 1440, you must have used an estimated bodyfat% and gotten Katch BMR, but you didn't mention BF% so I couldn't duplicate that.

If you didn't, then where did you get 1440?

So with your BMR Lightly Active is 1980 TDEE, and with 20% is 1584.

So don't eat above 2000, don't eat below 1584, make it 1600 goal to keep it simple.

That'll cover you up to 3 hrs of lifting weekly.
  • lisa483
    Options

Height 5ft 6"
    29 yrs old

BMR - 1552.

Thanks for the reply

That is your Mifflin BMR for your stats given.
    Harris BMR is inflated 1611.

So if you got 1440, you must have used an estimated bodyfat% and gotten Katch BMR, but you didn't mention BF% so I couldn't duplicate that.

If you didn't, then where did you get 1440?

So with your BMR Lightly Active is 1980 TDEE, and with 20% is 1584.

So don't eat above 2000, don't eat below 1584, make it 1600 goal to keep it simple.

That'll cover you up to 3 hrs of lifting weekly.

Harris calculates my BMR at 1447 according to fat2fit.
    Scoobysworkshop under Mifflin it estimates my BMR 1388 and Harris 1439

This is according to:
    Current Weight - 142lbs
    Height - 66inches (5ft 6")
    Age - 29
    Female

I do believe I should be shooting around 1500-1600cals per day so this is what I will aim for over the next few wks and see how I go.

Thanks for the info :0)
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for this.
  • heybales
    Options
    Harris calculates my BMR at 1447 according to fat2fit.
    Scoobysworkshop under Mifflin it estimates my BMR 1388 and Harris 1439

This is according to:
    Current Weight - 142lbs
    Height - 66inches (5ft 6")
    Age - 29
    Female

I do believe I should be shooting around 1500-1600cals per day so this is what I will aim for over the next few wks and see how I go.

Thanks for the info :0)

Sorry about the bad figures, I forgot to remove previous metric measurements from the spreadsheet, and that overrides the lb and in stats. I seem to rarely help those using metric I didn't even notice them there.

Indeed, 1386 and 1446. Not much margin for body stress at 1500, so just watch how you feel doing the lifts. Might even compare strength when eating at TDEE to confirm you don't lose too much.