Increasing Calories - What to expect & why you need patience...

Options

Replies

• rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I understand that some people will gain a pound or two. I have gained 8. That's right, 8. I am so discouraged and about to go back to my 1200 calories a day. I feel like a pig and clearly my body thinks I am a pig too because it's gained 8 pounds. I've been doing this for a few weeks now. I don't think an 8 pound gain could be normal. Now my last 10 pounds I needed to lose has turned into 18 pounds,

I gained 30-40 :noway:

and guess what baby, I kept.it.moving :tongue:

There was no way in the world I was turning back to 1200. There is no magic # of how much you gain, everyone is different, and several people gain WAY more than 8lbs. (I gain that just w/TOM)...don't underestimate how water weight looks on the scale. If you let the scale rule you, it will take you to places that you don't wanna go. You have to remember that *eventually*, you will reach a goal and *have* to eat at maintenance. If you have not already reset, your body will do the exact.same.thing that it's doing now, and you will pack those lbs right back on. You have to look beyond the fact that it's summertime right now, and we all want to be at our smallest. You have to think ahead to the holidays, and the comfort food of the cooler weather. Will you have a place in your diet for those? Is it really worth forcing your body to live off of less than it needs to survive, just to be where you want to be right now? :huh:

I would pray that the answer is no, but..... :ohwell:

Kiki

KiKi~ just found this and just wanted you to know that it's just what I needed today!!

And I don't think you've been honored with a little "cyber-love" yet, so, just for you:
    :love: :flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker: :love: :flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker: :love: :flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker: :love: :flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker: :love: :flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker:
  • Onederchic
    Onederchic Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. My name is Michelle and I am glad to have stumbled upon this awesome group.
    I am like a lot of people and have always believed less calories is best for weight loss but after joining MFP and reading so much information here, I am starting to change my mind. In 2008, I was at my highest weight of 333lbs. By 2010, I had lost 160lbs by cutting calories (was getting about 1500 average) and doing 45-1 hour exercise 4 or 5 days a week. Then I got comfortable and lazy and stopped tracking foods and working and have gained 55lbs in the last year and a half (yikes!). I restarted my weight loss effort 2.5 months ago by eating 1200-1300 calories a day plus working out 1.5-2 hours day and then wondered why I was so tired, grumpy and hungry all the time.

I just have a couple questions if anyone can help -

My workouts to me are not hardcore and I workout 5 days a week. I do a 5 mile DVD (Leslie Sansone) when I wake and then later I will do a DVD that incorporates hand weights and strength moves (ie Jillian Michaels - No More Trouble Zones, etc etc). When I use the calculator to get my BMR and TDEE, should I use the moderate exercise option or...? Also, would I lower my calories on days I do not workout and if yes, should I keep it at BMR?

Sorry for the ramble and the questions, I have been reading, I promise so if I missed something that would answer my questions already, I apologize.
  • NicoleBecca
    Options
    Great post, totally agree!!
  • MoonIite
    MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I have been reading through this thread and want to thank you for taking the time to share this information. I was losing at 1300-1400 calories but noticed a decline in my energy level after increasing my workout load. Call me crazy for wanting to fix something that is not broken, but I know I can get away with eating more. There are people my height (5’1”) who can maintain on 2000+ cals a day. Why should I be an exception? I started eating my TDEE cut a couple of days ago and gained 2 pounds in the process. I would have reverted back to my old ways if I hadn’t known what was going to happen. I know it’s too early to be posting this, and maybe I’m getting ahead of myself, but I am already seeing progress . I am down one inch in my waist so that tells me I’m doing something right. I am not hungry at the end of the day and am able to work out harder and more efficiently than ever before.
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have been reading through this thread and want to thank you for taking the time to share this information. I was losing at 1300-1400 calories but noticed a decline in my energy level after increasing my workout load. Call me crazy for wanting to fix something that is not broken, but I know I can get away with eating more. There are people my height (5’1”) who can maintain on 2000+ cals a day. Why should I be an exception? I started eating my TDEE cut a couple of days ago and gained 2 pounds in the process. I would have reverted back to my old ways if I hadn’t known what was going to happen. I know it’s too early to be posting this, and maybe I’m getting ahead of myself, but I am already seeing progress . I am down one inch in my waist so that tells me I’m doing something right. I am not hungry at the end of the day and am able to work out harder and more efficiently than ever before.

This sounds similar to me! I only started 4 days ago with a reset, but I do notice more energy. I haven't gained anything (which to me tells me I really wasn't eating enough before!) and it feels nice not to have to go hungry to meet my calorie goal. I can't be that different than everyone here, so I'm giving it a shot and hopefully my metabolism will get with the program!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Awesome!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

This sounds similar to me! I only started 4 days ago with a reset, but I do notice more energy. I haven't gained anything (which to me tells me I really wasn't eating enough before!) and it feels nice not to have to go hungry to meet my calorie goal. I can't be that different than everyone here, so I'm giving it a shot and hopefully my metabolism will get with the program!

Lol. Yes it will!
  • MoonIite
    MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Just a quick update:

Yesterday morning I stepped on the scale, and it showed a loss of 0.6 lbs. I had to step on the scale a few times to make sure the number was correct. Also, I took my measurements, and I am down a few inches. Amazing! I am on week 3 of EMTWL, and I can see myself eating this way for the rest of my life. I don’t have to play catch up to make up for the huge deficit I created the previous day, nor do I have to learn to love the feeling of hunger and accept it as a way of life.
  • fitfunk
    fitfunk Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I joined this group a few months ago and haven't been active. Reset my calories today.

I started here around 1400 then down to 1200. My start weight was 265 and I got down to 215 and my lowest on that calorie plan, 50lbs! Then I hit a plateau last fall. Since last September I have gained back 17lbs, gave up on really watching my calories, not as bad as pre-MFP but lacking exercise as well.

A few weeks ago I raised m goal to 1600 and haven't really lost. I started my prescription diuretic again last week per my DR's orders and I've lost a few pound of water weight. After doing the TDEE, BF and BMR calculators, I have figured to set my calories at 2000. I typically walk for 30-40 mins 3-4 days a week with some occasional yoga and the weight/ab portions of 30DS.

Does 2000 sound about right for a sedentary/slightly active person at 232lbs?
  • ezavora
    ezavora Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I found this group as I was researching why I lost 7 pounds in 5 weeks. Now, nothing for 6 weeks, even though I've been netting under my goal, exercising more, and even cut out alcohol. Duh, I was netting under my BMR. I first came across the road map rules that made sense to me. Now that I've found this group it makes even more sense. MFP had me set to 1300, which I really did not have a hard time with. I was eating 5-6 small meals a day and sometimes eating back (or drinking back until I cut wayyyy back on that 2 weeks ago) some my exercise calories. I would end up netting anywhere from 800-1300 cal. However, when I followed the formulas, my BMR is more like 1400.

I am ready for upping my calories and getting back on track but I have a few questions I hope anyone can help me with. BTW, I had a slow day at work and literally read all 18 pages of this thread, including the links! You would think I was an expert but I do want to know more.

On the road map rules it looks like the 20% cut is more common. What is the benefit of 15% over 20% cut?

I understand that I pick my exercise level and then dont count my exercise calories unless I will net under my BMR. But what if I really like to log my exercise calories? Doing this is a real motivator for me. Im a total anal list maker kind of person and I love logging my activity and seeing it count towards something. Im scared if I stop dong this I will loose the motivation. My question is, can I set my MFP goal to my BMR or "sedentary/desk" activity level and then log my exercise?

I understand that I never want to NET below my BMR, or EAT less then my cut TDEE. This is another reason why I want to log my exercise. If I use my 20% cut number, there is only a 345 calorie difference from my BMR. On my exercise days I can easily go over this, meaning I would need to eat the difference back, so I need to keep track one way or the other.

However, if I use my 15% cut, there is a 625 calorie difference, which I may come close to, but probably wont exercise over. But, then Im afraid if I use this number and I know I dont need to worry about eating back any exercise calories, I may not exercise as much. I know it may sound strange, but I really like that motivator of knowing what my NET is when I add the exercise in.

Then there is the whole "pick your exercise category" It seems so vague to me. I just ordered a heart rate monitor that I am really excited to use and compare just how accurate (or inaccurate) MFP has been. I've had one in the past so I do have a pretty good idea and I dont think its been that for off. My exercise currently includes lifting free weights, body weight workouts, running, swimming, yoga and HIIT. Some days only 20 minutes, other days 2 hours. I did go back and add up last weeks time and I came up with 4.5 hours of exercise. I log anywhere from 130 calories to 650 burned per work out.

Here are my numbers

145lbs
    5' 4.5"
    41 years old
    22.5% BF

I used both Scooby and Fat2Fit for my calculations. They were within 100-150 of each other, so I just did an average

BMR 1431

15% cut
    TDEE sedentary 1460
    moderate activity (3-5hours/week) 2057

20% cut
    TDEE sedentary 1374
    moderate activity 1775

I am having a really hard time knowing what to plug in MFP. I will say it again, I really want to log my exercise. What are the opinions on setting my goal to 1550 (about 100 over my BMR) Then, logging my exercise and eating back the calories so that my NET is never under 1430 and my EAT is never less then 1850? (I came up with this number as something between 15% and 20% cut.

I know this is a really long post and Im hoping anyone is willing to take the time to read it and help me. I am 100% open to advice and willing to do what it takes to loose weight. My goal weight is 135 and 16-18% BF. but I really would love to see if I could get to 125. Being only 5'4.5" it seems reasonable.

Thanks to everyone who has posted here. It looks like a great support community and I am looking forward to being a part of it.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kiki, what a great read. I guess I was supposed to see it today since I have not been afraid to eat more close to my TDEE minus 20%, I have been at a standstill scale wise. Well, it fluctuates some. But I do feel my muscles strengthening and also see some definition developing:)

I just reset my settings today to my 20% deficit amount, 1540. Patience is a tough one but your article helps with that. I haven't eaten right for years, mostly the wrong foods as well as no regular exercise. Common sense tells me it is a long road back and it ain't gonna happen in a couple months:laugh:

thank you again, Denise:drinker: :drinker:
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this post. It answered all of the questions I had -- and gave great analogies. I needed to know exactly what I would be doing with this plan, and now I know what to expect.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post Kiki. Very well written and easy to understand.
  • dwn2erth
    dwn2erth Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have a question about 'how' many calories.. I'm into my fourth week of weight training and had a Metabolic check (you know the one that you blow into a machine) My Resting Energy expenditure is 1411 Cal + My Lifestyle activity (depending on activity level) is up to 423+ Exercise (mod 30 min) 146 = Total Enery Output could be 1980 cal. It says for me to Maintain eat 1411-1834 For Weight Loss eat 1129-1411 So do I eat in the Maintenance Zone with strong work outs?
  • Sabra34
    Options
    Hi was wondering how many calories I should go up to . I dont do any exercise at the moment my tdee is 1780 and my bmr is 1483 I have been eating 1200 for about 10 months and havimg cheat days but I am sivk of feeling tired all the time .thanks for amy help
  • aussie_nic_getting_fit
    Options
    bump to read later :)
  • wellbur
    wellbur Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    this is great. thanks
  • mamdore
    mamdore Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    bump!