Increasing Calories - What to expect & why you need patience...

Options

Replies

• LessJos
    LessJos Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Great post. Thanks a lot!
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I could use a little support at this point..I know it's early! But since starting EMTWL - 3 weeks ago - I've not seen any progress, but I gained about 1.5lb and my scale weight seems to fluctuate by 2-4lb randomly through the week.

Is this normal and to be expected at this stage? Thanks!

Yes, that is perfectly normal. I recommend that you read through this post http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience so that you'll understand what you may experience during this process. :smile:
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Hey there! This is for anyone who read through this thread and noticed any of my previous posts about my maintenance break and subsequent gain... I think all too often we see a small part of an issue, and many people reading the forums make lifestyle changes because of what they read... But they are only getting part of the story!

About 3 weeks ago, I decided to go on a "diet break" at my maintenance intake and stop logging calories. I felt free! It was amazing :bigsmile: BUT, I was getting bloated and nervous. 9 days into it, I had gained 6 pounds. At that time, I had a body composition done, which I would recommend everyone do! I kept at it and on day 11, I had gained 2 more, totaling 8 pounds! I freaked and caved... Instead of 14 days, I did 11.

NOW... Since the end of my break, (6 days and camping over the weekend!) I have already lost 5 of those pounds. I have been very happy to see them go away, pretty quickly too, but I have only been eating at my cut value for a short time so I am excited to see what happens.

I am also seeing a nutritionist once a week for the next month, and after looking at my MFP diary, she made NO SUGGESTIONS for changes! She totally agrees with my daily intake goals (set at my 15% cut value from TDEE) and reminded me to get extra carbs on my big run days.

I just thought sharing this would help some of you who are afraid to try this! I will update on here as I see more progress :flowerforyou:
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Hey there! This is for anyone who read through this thread and noticed any of my previous posts about my maintenance break and subsequent gain... I think all too often we see a small part of an issue, and many people reading the forums make lifestyle changes because of what they read... But they are only getting part of the story!

About 3 weeks ago, I decided to go on a "diet break" at my maintenance intake and stop logging calories. I felt free! It was amazing :bigsmile: BUT, I was getting bloated and nervous. 9 days into it, I had gained 6 pounds. At that time, I had a body composition done, which I would recommend everyone do! I kept at it and on day 11, I had gained 2 more, totaling 8 pounds! I freaked and caved... Instead of 14 days, I did 11.

NOW... Since the end of my break, (6 days and camping over the weekend!) I have already lost 5 of those pounds. I have been very happy to see them go away, pretty quickly too, but I have only been eating at my cut value for a short time so I am excited to see what happens.

I am also seeing a nutritionist once a week for the next month, and after looking at my MFP diary, she made NO SUGGESTIONS for changes! She totally agrees with my daily intake goals (set at my 15% cut value from TDEE) and reminded me to get extra carbs on my big run days.

I just thought sharing this would help some of you who are afraid to try this! I will update on here as I see more progress :flowerforyou:

Awesome!
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what to do at this point. The numbers have been making my head spin. I understand the math and the concept, but it is becoming too stressful for me to try to meet the calories and the macro ratios as well. The things I like to eat are high in carbs. I don't like to eat a lot of meat on a regular basis and I can drink protein shakes but I don't like to drink my calories. I feel like I'm exhibiting ED behavior by meticulously counting calories and measuring my food. So I've decided to only concern myself with the quality of my food and a reasonable balance of healthy proteins, fats and carbs most of the time. I will continue to track my exercise calorie burn and monitor it against my goals, but I won't be tracking calories. It's too stressful and appears to have little bearing on weight loss for me. I lost weight this year before MFP and have kept it off but can't seem to lose more than 3 lbs since I've started logging food here and trying to eat more. I think 6 weeks is long enough to have seen some results from EMTWL.
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I was just referred to this group and oh my, this is exactly what I need!
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I was just referred to this group and oh my, this is exactly what I need!

Welcome! Definitely take time to read through all the stickies. Its a wealth of info!
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    So I'm new to this upping cals idea. I've read so much in the past few days my head is spinning: everything I thought I knew about losing weight is apparently wrong. I jumped in headfirst and figured the biggest deficit I could get (eating around 1200 cals. after exercise netting around 900 which I now know isn't enough for my poor body to live on and be happy with me) would = the most weight loss. I'm stoked to read that eating more food is better but I'm still hesitant...kinda like "this is too good to be true." I've been eating 1200 cals or so since the end of February but I've had a good many cheat days in there so I'm hoping my metabolism isn't as messed up as it could have been.
    Today I upped my cals. I felt like I was eating soooo much but even still I only netted like 1700. I've calculated my BMR to be 1799 so I guess that's still bad?
  • imustbegood
    imustbegood Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post - a very helpful.read x
  • himel13
    himel13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    This has been a really helpful thread. I've posted a new topic with a question I have after properly reading all this! Hope you all can help me out!
    Btw, I find the motivation you all are giving one another to be really inspirational! I love this group alread!
  • palak126
    palak126 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason why the scale has been set to TDEE - 15%? Do you advise against -20%?
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason why the scale has been set to TDEE - 15%? Do you advise against -20%?

I have actually read some studies that state a dificit of 300 or less was more beneficial, someone actually posted it somewhere in one of the threads. Also NROLW also suggested a smaller deficit because 500 is a shock to the system. 15% usually is closer to the 300 mark...
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I live in Georgia, so kinda know about this fella and his research:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KGB/is_6_5/ai_n6110816/

http://www.oxygenmag.com/Community/Expert-Q-A/How-does-starvation-versus-eating-fewer-calories-affect-fat-loss.aspx

The second link addresses the 300 v. 500 calorie deficit~
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    Bump...thank you for all of your motivation, knowledge, and time it takes to helping so many of us.:) God Bless You for all your works to mankind. :)
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    After reading many post and trying to figure it out - I have the answer on the persons blog: lillebanon (I have lost the page I found this on though). She (I presume) explains it beautifully including step by step instructions on how to work all this out. I now get the whole TDEE / TDEE cut thing. Yay!
    Here is a sample of her blog - so happy!! (Not sure about upping my cals from 1400 to 2256 though - this is VERY scary!
    Here it is:

My take on eating more to weigh less.
    Posted on 05/07/2012 by lillebanon
    I decided to post this here for all my friends to read after typing it up as a very lengthy email to one particular friend. For those who don't know, I started eating more (I went from 1200 cal a day to 2200 cal a day) one month ago, and in these first four weeks I have lost 5 lbs, and 5.75" across my upper body, blasting though a months-long plateau. All without depriving myself!
    Everything I know about eating more, I learned from the Eat More to Weigh Less group here at MFP. If you like what you read here, make sure you join the group for some great support!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less

Okay, hopefully I don't ramble too much here. If anything I say doesn't make sense, they probably explain it better in the link above. Basically, eating more is all about providing your body with the fuel it needs so that its not reluctant to let go of the fat.

There is a bit of math involved to figure out how much fuel your body needs, but I'll provide links to online calculators that will guide you through.

First a little glossary:

BF% = Body Fat Percentage
    BMR = Basal Metabolic Rate. This is basically the number of calories your body would burn if you were in a coma.
    TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure. This is the average number of calories burned by your body per day, based on your average weekly activities. Your full TDEE calories is what you should eat to maintain your current weight.
    Cut = The percentage of calories below your TDEE you should be eating to lose weight. This will usually be somewhere between 10% to 15%, MAYBE 20%, but should never be below your BMR.
    Metabolic Reset = Eating your full maintenance calories for a period (usually 4 to 6 weeks) to allow your body to repair its metabolism.

Okay. So basically, if you have been eating a very low calorie diet for a sustained amount of time, it can damage your metabolism and slow it down, and cause you to stop losing weight. That is what happened to me eating 1200 calories a day and burning tons of calories running. I was working way too hard and eating way too little to not be losing weight and fat... but I wasn't losing weight or fat!

In my case I felt like my metabolism was damaged enough that I needed to do a metabolic reset. If you haven't been eating very low calories for very long, the metabolic reset step can be skipped, and you can just raise your calorie intake to your "cut" level. A lot of people like the 15% cut. In either case, when you first raise your calories, it is not uncommon to gain a few pounds in the first couple of weeks, but don't panic, it isn't fat, and will melt back off very quickly and then some once your body starts trusting you again. Take some starting measurements as well, because even those who see some gain on the scale at first frequently report inches lost during the same time period. Also, you are going to feel stuffed to the gills and bloated for for the first few days, but your appetite and digestion will catch up within the week. The best part about it is, when you reach your goal weight, you just keep eating your full TDEE, your "diet" was never really a diet, and you don't gain back all the weight!

Watching your macros is a good idea when you start eating more, to make sure you don't add all the calories as carbs! A good ratio that works for most is 40% carbs/ 30% protein/ 30% fat, but that is adjustable to suit you. This ratio leaves plenty of room for some delish carbs. :) I would say a minimum of 25% protein though. Eating plenty of protein helps you avoid losing muscle during the process of losing fat. You can customize your macros when you set your goals in MFP if you don't use the automatic calculator. Also aim for 30g of fiber a day. Watching your sodium will help with any bloat as well (2500 mg a day max is a good goal). If you eat meat, it may not be too difficult for you to hit your protein goal, but since I don't, I've added whey protein shakes to most my days. They are always a great easily absorbed source of protein to use after a workout anyway.

Okay, so now, the math. The first thing you need to do is figure out your body fat percentage. If you have had it professionally measured, that is the absolute most accurate method, but the following calculator will get you close enough. Get out your measuring tape!

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/cbbf/

Okay, now that you have your BF%, head over here for the rest of your calculating, but see my notes below as you go through it:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Steps 1 through 4 are self explanatory.
    Step 5 - choose your activity level based on the average number of hours per week that you exercise. However, if you are on your feet and moving about at work, consider that too, not just your "workouts".
    Step 6 - Choose your goal. If you think you need to do a metabolic reset first, choose "gain muscle, lose fat" and it will calculate based on your full TDEE. If you want to start at a cut rate, choose the 5%, 10% or 15% option.
    Step 7 - Meals per day. However often you like to eat. It really doesn't matter what time of day you eat your calories though, but i think most people like the 5 to 6 times a day for eating (3 meals and 2 or 3 snacks). This doesn't change your final outcome, it only changes the "per meal" averages that this little calculator suggest for various nutrients. But you'll probably want to just track "per day" in MFP anyway.
    Step 8 - Research model - Select Katch-McArdle
    Step 8a - Remember that BF% you just calculated? Enter it here.
    Step 9 - Zero (If you want to read the instructions for calibrating, click on the little link at step 9... it takes a month to do and is pretty much unnecessary unless you are a serious bodybuilder or something).
    Step 10 - Enter Macros - 40% Carb, 30% Protein, 30% Fat. Or whatever you decide you are comfortable with.

Scroll down to your results. It will list your BMR, your TDEE, and your TDEE - Cut (Daily Calories based on goal selected in Step 6) if you selected a cut.

Okay, you've got the numbers...now what? Eat your TDEE-Cut, every single day, regardless of exercise. It already has your average daily exercise figured in and your body will respond well to the consistency. BUT, you do still want to track your exercise, and here is why: You never ever ever want to "net" below your BMR on any given day. So on certain days you may need to eat back a PORTION of your exercise calories, to bring your net back up to your BMR.

eg. Your TDEE-Cut is 1900 calories and your BMR is 1400 calories. You have a great workout and burn 600 calories. 1900-600=1300, 1300<1400, so you need to eat 100 more calories, or a total of 2000 calories for that day, to net your BMR of 1400. You never want to EAT less than your cut value, and you never want to NET less than your BMR.
    So most days on MFP, you really only pay attention to the "food calories" not the automatically calculated "calories remaining". However, enter your exercise and watch your net to make sure it doesn't drop below your BMR. Your "Food" section should alway end up around your cut level, and your "net" section should never be below your BMR. Did I repeat that enough times? :)

Okay, now, here is how you modify your goals in MFP to match this new math.

Go to "My Home", click the "Goals" tab. Select "change goals" button. Click "custom" and continue. Change your net calories to your new TDEE or Cut value. Change your fat/protein/carb percentages to your new macro values 30/30/40, change your fiber to 30g, your sodium to 2500 mg. If you aren't already tracking all those things, you may have to add them to your nutrients tracked first.

And that's pretty much it! Sorry its so long... OH, one more thing. If when you submit your completed diary at the end of the day MFP tells you you are going to gain weight, IGNORE IT. :)
    Remember to go back and redo your calculations everytime your lose an additional 5 lbs or so, or if you have a significant change to your average weekly activity level!

VERY GOOD EXPLANATION ..thank you!!!
  • mamato2babes
    Options
    So glad I came across this today. It's been a little over 2 weeks at this, and the scale has started going in the wrong direction! I'm trying not to get discouraged and hang in there though. :ohwell:
  • ajhr
    ajhr Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to find this here - I was considering writing a post full of questions, but you've answered them all :)
    Thanks!
  • immywolf
    immywolf Posts: 18
    Options
    Hi everyone! :) I really need some help... and you seem like a nice bunch, so I've come here to ask. Please help me.

So I'm new to this group, but I have been reading through the posts regularly for almost a month now... after I realised that eating 1200 calories per day and netting at around 800 was a very bad idea. Please let me take a moment to explain.

I'm only 14, and in my 3rd year of highschool (not middle school, i'm australian) Please don't tell me that I shouldn't be worrying about my body because I'm young. I'm not doing this to look like a stick thin emaciated fashion model. Actually, i despise the modelling industry, and how it affects what we think is beautiful- and what we should look like. Anyway- I'm doing this so I can feel strong, happy, healthy and confident.
    I decided that I wanted to start losing weight on the new year, after I started noticing how chubby my arms and face were looking in photos. Which was due to getting into a habit of eating a LOT of junk food every day with friends (teenage boys with high metabolisms and a girl who previously suffered from anorexia and still skips eating lunch) after school- and never exercising it off. I had never really been happy with my weight before that, and had always felt like the 'chubby one' (for my age) but I've never been considered overweight. Still, I was not happy.

Here are my stats: 
    I was 60-61kg, (132-134lb) 
    And 167cm (5 ft 6). Oh, and I've stopped growing. Haven't grown for 2 years. :(
    I want to weigh 53-53.5, (117-118) with a BMI of about 19
    My current weight is about 55kg (120-121lb)- BMI: 19.5

I discovered MFP about 3 weeks after I had seriously started trying to exercise more and eat less. By then I had already lost about 2kg (probably all water weight now I think about it) I entered my stats, and chose the 'lose 2lb per week' setting, because, I admit, I was impatient, and thought 'this is great, I can have the perfect body in only like 5-6 weeks!!!' How stupid. Anyway, so that put me at 1200 cals per day, which was probably about a 1800 deflict from my old bad eating habits. I began running in short amounts with my dog almost every day, about 10 minute sessions (which at the time I thought were almost impossible) and never eating it back. I thought that I had to EAT 1200 a day, no more, and the lower my net was, the more I'd lose. In the first month of this my weight went down to 55kg (121lb)... and since then, hasn't changed. I kept shifting between 54-55 (119-121), but never got below 54 (119). I kept running, got better and better, fitter and fitter, and ended up coming 3rd in our school cross country, and making it to zone (inter school competing) Yet the scale never budged. After a while of getting frustrated with this, I stupidly set my net intake to 1000 (at most, I often was at about 700-800) but kept eating 1200. 

Then I discovered this thread. I did the Scooby's calculations-

BMR: 1414
    TDEE: 2191

-15% = 1753

So after reading this, in the first week (which was SO scary) I upped my cals to 1500. Second week, 1600-1650, third week 1700-1750. But then I got all confused, because I had set my activity level to 'moderately active' (I practise violin 90-120 minutes every day, sometimes more, which apparently burns calories, run 5-6 times a week, in sessions of 15-30 minutes, and do core & leg exercises on alternating days. Oh and every school day I spend about 30 mins total walking with a heavy bag and violin on my back. But rest of the day I'm sitting down in a classroom.) I was eating back every single calorie, including the violin ones. But then I decided that it would make more sense if my violin playing was what put me at 'moderately active' so I decided to take my net down to 1700, (which i did because MFP and Scooby's calculators are so different, so I went for the middle) and only eat back the running and walking calories. 

That's my first question: What's my activity level? And do I eat the violin playing calories? Are you supposed to eat ALL the exercise calories on top of saying that you're 'moderately active'? And do I follow the MFP calculations which say I should eat far less even at mainenence or the Scooby's Workshop ones?

My second question is about the whole upping cals process.
    I was netting at 1000 and below for about 3 months. My weight has stayed around 55kg, no more, no less, for the last 5 weeks after taking my calories up. Do I need a metabolism reset? Or should I just eat a little bit more? Or less? Or keep going at 1700?
    (by the way my last 2 weeks have been bad in terms of running and eating healthy foods- I got sick for a while, went on an orchestra tour for 4 days and ate quite a bit of junk food, had to study heaps and ran out of time to run- which may have affected all this?)

I'm so confused. But I'm proud of my progress, mainly with being able to go on 6km runs and almost making it to regionals at the zone cross country (i was only 3 places away!!!!) AND getting so toned up. It's just so frustrating being so close to my goal, yet it seeming so far away :( 

Sorry for such a long post. This is just the first time I've ever really told anyone about trying to lose weight, and I want to tell my story properly. Thank you so much if you took the time to read it all.

Thanks again! :)
    - Imogen
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    *If you've been a low cal "binge-er" (eating low cals for an extended period of time, then having a "binge" ever so often in moments of "weakness"), then expect your body to react negatively at first. It will assume that this is just another one of your "binges" and that "starvation" is just around the corner, thus the desire to hold on to everything that comes through. Once it senses that it will receive regular feedings, it will react accordingly by actually letting go..

Thank you so much!! This is totally me. I have to admit, I jumped in without all of the research, mostly because there's hundreds of pages on here. But there were some very helpful members that showed me what to do. Knowing this is very important too cuz I put on weight and was worried. Now I understand.