Increasing Calories - What to expect & why you need patience...

Options

Replies

• Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    OK, I have a question... I recently posted last week that the scale finally did a huge drop down after 4 weeks of gains. This week I have worked to eat ay my Cut value, although the last few days was just under.. Yet the scale has jumped back up almost 3 pounds in the past 4 days.
    So am I still "resetting" after 6 weeks? Shouldnt things have started to continue down with my drop from last week?
    I was just starting to feel at peace with eating more, and then to see this kind of increase again is disheartening.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    OK, I have a question... I recently posted last week that the scale finally did a huge drop down after 4 weeks of gains. This week I have worked to eat ay my Cut value, although the last few days was just under.. Yet the scale has jumped back up almost 3 pounds in the past 4 days.
    So am I still "resetting" after 6 weeks? Shouldnt things have started to continue down with my drop from last week?
    I was just starting to feel at peace with eating more, and then to see this kind of increase again is disheartening.

Sometimes increases are not true increases, but water weight...you must look at what you have been doing the last two days, if I have a high sodium weekend or day, the next day my scale will be up 2-3lbs, if I left heavy I may be up 2lbs, if I have TOM I am def up 3-5lbs.

Are you using the Hack's Diet spreadsheet to track...I think you should, it will show you how you are trending. Stay consistent with what you are doing right now.
  • aqua_marine_light
    Options
    bump
  • Raynn1
    Options

Sometimes increases are not true increases, but water weight...you must look at what you have been doing the last two days, if I have a high sodium weekend or day, the next day my scale will be up 2-3lbs, if I left heavy I may be up 2lbs, if I have TOM I am def up 3-5lbs.

Are you using the Hack's Diet spreadsheet to track...I think you should, it will show you how you are trending. Stay consistent with what you are doing right now.

I was using it, but the damn thing wont let me log in.. Ive tried three times, then making three separate accounts, and nothing is letting me enter. Keeps telling me my log in name and password are wrong.. I have been paying attention to the trend though, and this week has been really off... first three days the scale did not change a single ounce... then Sat it increased about .4, then Sun, Mon and today all saw 1 pound gains in a row. I had High Sodium on Sat, but the rest of the days I was at least under my target for it. Saturday I had run a race in the morning (5K), Sunday was a rest day and yesterday was Step class.

I know I did not eat 3 pounds worth of anything, let alone crap.. so I know its water weight, but just very odd to see it increase so much over 4 days. Normally I get hit with water weight, it hits hard.. stays the same level, then drops.. this was a gradual increase up..

Just sucks to finally start seeing the scale go down after weeks of nothing, then to get hit with this again..
  • ANewLucia
    Options

I was using it, but the damn thing wont let me log in.. Ive tried three times, then making three separate accounts, and nothing is letting me enter. Keeps telling me my log in name and password are wrong.. I have been paying attention to the trend though, and this week has been really off... first three days the scale did not change a single ounce... then Sat it increased about .4, then Sun, Mon and today all saw 1 pound gains in a row. I had High Sodium on Sat, but the rest of the days I was at least under my target for it. Saturday I had run a race in the morning (5K), Sunday was a rest day and yesterday was Step class.

I know I did not eat 3 pounds worth of anything, let alone crap.. so I know its water weight, but just very odd to see it increase so much over 4 days. Normally I get hit with water weight, it hits hard.. stays the same level, then drops.. this was a gradual increase up..

Just sucks to finally start seeing the scale go down after weeks of nothing, then to get hit with this again..

Oh Rayann1, your body reacted a whole lot better than mine would to what you just mentioned...all that right there was a good 5lb gain, only TOM drops off pretty fasts sometimes (but not if combined withhigh sodium...that takes me a week to release it all), but we really can't tell our body how to repair itself...lol. Runs, lifting...causes the muscles to hold water. Also, I read that as fat shrinks it sometimes holds the space with water that it loses and "whoosh" a nice lose. I have personally experienced that one...lol.

Be encouraged, you are doing great!
  • Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Hi all, need some advice! I've been eating upped calories for nearly 5 weeks now lost 1lb on the 3rd week and 1.3lbs on the 4th week but I seem to of gained it back again?! Any ideas? Feel free to look at my diary and give me any pointers?! Oh and my BMR is 1360 and my TDEE is 1640 (that's with a 20% deduction) x
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Hi all, need some advice! I've been eating upped calories for nearly 5 weeks now lost 1lb on the 3rd week and 1.3lbs on the 4th week but I seem to of gained it back again?! Any ideas? Feel free to look at my diary and give me any pointers?! Oh and my BMR is 1360 and my TDEE is 1640 (that's with a 20% deduction) x

Ok, you must bump up your protein, your carbs tend to be over and protein not even close to 100gr. Protein should be 1gr per lb of body fat. What are your ratios? Are they 40/30/30...listen if I don't hit anything else good, I do my best to hit my protein.

Also, sometimes it is water weight. When I hit a new low, and bounce up a little, I look at what I did the day before...high sodium? heavy lift? TOM?
  • Jenjaz1910
    Options

Ok, you must bump up your protein, your carbs tend to be over and protein not even close to 100gr. Protein should be 1gr per lb of body fat. What are your ratios? Are they 40/30/30...listen if I don't hit anything else good, I do my best to hit my protein.

Also, sometimes it is water weight. When I hit a new low, and bounce up a little, I look at what I did the day before...high sodium? heavy lift? TOM?

Cheers! My macros are set 40/30/30 I do struggle on the protein tho! Protein powder is sooooo expensive tho :( what else can I encorporate into my diet to up my protein and lower my carbs? X
  • ANewLucia
    Options

Cheers! My macros are set 40/30/30 I do struggle on the protein tho! Protein powder is sooooo expensive tho :( what else can I encorporate into my diet to up my protein and lower my carbs? X

Ok, lady I had to work on this one myself because it is hard to eat my 154 grams at times. But feel free to check out my diary. I do drink protein shakes and used to drink it 3times a day because I couldn't get it in without them...but I have found a few things...CHICKEN BREASTS:-) great source right there, I grill them and throw it on salad...shrimp, Golden Valley beef jerky, tuna, Jillian Michaels whey is real cheap, eggs, nuts, if you eat soy some of the protein bars, greek yogurt...hmm there are some threads on here with more ideas for sure!
  • ANewLucia
    Options

Ok, lady I had to work on this one myself because it is hard to eat my 154 grams at times. But feel free to check out my diary. I do drink protein shakes and used to drink it 3times a day because I couldn't get it in without them...but I have found a few things...CHICKEN BREASTS:-) great source right there, I grill them and throw it on salad...shrimp, Golden Valley beef jerky, tuna, Jillian Michaels whey is real cheap, eggs, nuts, if you eat soy some of the protein bars, greek yogurt...hmm there are some threads on here with more ideas for sure!

Also, please don't stress over the scale...keep taking pictures...some of my pictures I am the same weight, but I look smaller than the previous because of muscle gain and fat loss....
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    @Raynn1- water retention is no joke, but it is very much a part of being a woman. Rather we like it or not, it just is what it is. I hold water at certain times, like there's no tomorrow. I just have to let nature take it's course, while I go to town on the water, tea, green veggies (diuretics), etc. to give it as much help as I can... Take a peek in my profile to see pics of how much water I retain at times, I'm sure you'll have no prob noticing which pics they are.

~Kiki
  • kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Saving so I can follow :)
  • Jenjaz1910
    Options

Also, please don't stress over the scale...keep taking pictures...some of my pictures I am the same weight, but I look smaller than the previous because of muscle gain and fat loss....

Thank you :) I'm not doing a food shop till the weekend so gonna just try and do it with what I've got at the mo! We do love chicken in my house so that's all good :) just made a Greek yogurt smoothie for tomorrow! I seem to of stalled in inch loss too but I know that slow and steady wins the race lol thanks again x
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    @Raynn1- water retention is no joke, but it is very much a part of being a woman. Rather we like it or not, it just is what it is. I hold water at certain times, like there's no tomorrow. I just have to let nature take it's course, while I go to town on the water, tea, green veggies (diuretics), etc. to give it as much help as I can... Take a peek in my profile to see pics of how much water I retain at times, I'm sure you'll have no prob noticing which pics they are.

~Kiki

No problem at all...I was floored when I saw the pic!
  • Raynn1
    Options

~Kiki

Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice. Im trying so hard not to let the water weight bother me, and every month its a new struggle. Especially this month since AF has yet to arrive and the scale already shows her gains (along with what appears to be sodium help from the weekend) I finally was able to get back into Hackdiet and I am trending everything to keep an eye on things. I know in the past I never noticed huge water gains from salt, but I will pay more attention now. Also since even the beginning of last week after my last official WI, the scale did not drop at all before the water retention hit.. so it wasn't even like I had any losses to begin with.. which I think bothers me too..

Ugh.. sometimes it would be great to be a man, and not have to worry about this crap!:)
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jkpfeifer2
    Options
    So excited to join this group and find this thread. Thank you for the info. I was an athlete in hs and college and never really worried about weight but gained in my adult life. I have been a crash dieter/binger, ugh. I'm ready to figure out how to do this for life. I looked at the fitness frog site and fat2fit to figure my TDEE and BMR. On one of the sites, it asked for current weight and goal weight. On the other it just asked for weight...I assume that meant current weight and that's what it uses to calculate TDEE. I hope that's right.

Anyway, the numbers were a little different but very close. My BMR is approximately 1450, and my TDEE is approximately 2000 (even though I competed in a triathlon last year and worked out heavily, I am currently only working out lightly 3-4 times per week so I used the light multiplier). So 2000 minus 15% would be 1700. 1700 will be my calorie goal each day. Is that right, too? I am excited about this concept of no longer dieting but just treating my body right.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    So excited to join this group and find this thread. Thank you for the info. I was an athlete in hs and college and never really worried about weight but gained in my adult life. I have been a crash dieter/binger, ugh. I'm ready to figure out how to do this for life. I looked at the fitness frog site and fat2fit to figure my TDEE and BMR. On one of the sites, it asked for current weight and goal weight. On the other it just asked for weight...I assume that meant current weight and that's what it uses to calculate TDEE. I hope that's right.

Anyway, the numbers were a little different but very close. My BMR is approximately 1450, and my TDEE is approximately 2000 (even though I competed in a triathlon last year and worked out heavily, I am currently only working out lightly 3-4 times per week so I used the light multiplier). So 2000 minus 15% would be 1700. 1700 will be my calorie goal each day. Is that right, too? I am excited about this concept of no longer dieting but just treating my body right.

On no my friend...trust me use the MODERATE Activity level!
  • ANewLucia
    Options

~Kiki

Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice. Im trying so hard not to let the water weight bother me, and every month its a new struggle. Especially this month since AF has yet to arrive and the scale already shows her gains (along with what appears to be sodium help from the weekend) I finally was able to get back into Hackdiet and I am trending everything to keep an eye on things. I know in the past I never noticed huge water gains from salt, but I will pay more attention now. Also since even the beginning of last week after my last official WI, the scale did not drop at all before the water retention hit.. so it wasn't even like I had any losses to begin with.. which I think bothers me too..

Ugh.. sometimes it would be great to be a man, and not have to worry about this crap!:)

Men tend not to yo-yo diet...that is the difference:-)
  • Ke1ra78
    Ke1ra78 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I started upping my cals after coming across this group at the beginning of the month. At first i was so scared to eat so much as i used to stick between 1000-1200 cals a day even on days i did huge workouts. Now i eat so much better and finally this week the weight has started going down again. I noticed the difference in my energy levels first and feel great. Thanks so much for putting this info out there.:happy: