Increasing Calories - What to expect & why you need patience...

Replies

• saramerrigan
    saramerrigan Posts: 555 Member
    4 weeks in and I'm up 5lbs, no inch loss worth talking about :frown:

My BF is down slightly according to my scales at home, but I'm not 100% convinced of their accuracy!

I do believe that upping my cals is best for me in the long run, it's just really hard seeing the scales go back up again :sad:
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    have to read when i have more time
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member

My BF is down slightly according to my scales at home, but I'm not 100% convinced of their accuracy!

I do believe that upping my cals is best for me in the long run, it's just really hard seeing the scales go back up again :sad:

Hey lady, if you would open your diary, I would be more than happy to take a look.
  • LittleElephant
    LittleElephant Posts: 106 Member
    Great post this!
  • saramerrigan

Hey lady, if you would open your diary, I would be more than happy to take a look.

Have just made it public.

On a more positive note I'm seeing a loss this morning :)

Thanks for taking the time, I'd appreciate any feedback you can give :flowerforyou: but I would like to stick to low-carb

I haven't really started strength training yet, but my copy of NROLFW should be arriving any day now!
  • ANewLucia

Have just made it public.

On a more positive note I'm seeing a loss this morning :)

Thanks for taking the time, I'd appreciate any feedback you can give :flowerforyou: but I would like to stick to low-carb

I haven't really started strength training yet, but my copy of NROLFW should be arriving any day now!

Ok, I won't say a word about the low carb...I will let you read the book. He goes over beautifully the importance of all the macros. Otherwise, you are doing great on the protein...just stick with it:-)
  • saramerrigan
    Thanks for having a look Lucia - it's much appreciated!! :flowerforyou:
  • cassietn
    cassietn Posts: 48
    bump
  • beachdiva2010
    beachdiva2010 Posts: 180 Member
    Great post, thanks so much for sharing!!
  • Fit2befitZ
    Fit2befitZ Posts: 150 Member
    What great post! Thanks for taking the time to write and post this message! Much appreciated!
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    I had to share on the patience part..I joined this group 5 weeks ago. I was sitting around 1400 cals before I started. Then I increased up to about 1500 cals.. and nothing was happening. I finally jumped to 1800 cals, which was my BMR, hoping to finally see some movement.. Alas, I still was seeing gains.. The mental frustration that I went through over this 4 week period was insane. If it weren't for Lucia who walked me through my weekly rants about the scale, and telling me to keep faith, I probably would have resorted back to 1400 cals again. This last week I finally bit the bullet and jumped up to my Cut value, an additional 600 cals more than my BMR and what I was eating a day..
    And guess what?? The scale dropped an amazing 3.8 pounds! Never in my life have I ever gotten a loss that big in a single week, even when I did weight watchers and was at my heaviest. Believe me, the frustration over gaining for a few weeks will disappear completely when you come out the other end eating more, feeling better and finally seeing susatainable losses. If I can lose this much weight in a single week eating as much as I have been, you can be certain I will not eat 1400 cals again.

Have faith. It has been proven time and time again that we need to fuel our bodies. Let go of the "diet/starvation" mentality and start treating your body how you want to treat it for life.
  • Sunbeam0904
    Sunbeam0904 Posts: 53 Member
    I had to share on the patience part..I joined this group 5 weeks ago. I was sitting around 1400 cals before I started. Then I increased up to about 1500 cals.. and nothing was happening. I finally jumped to 1800 cals, which was my BMR, hoping to finally see some movement.. Alas, I still was seeing gains.. The mental frustration that I went through over this 4 week period was insane. If it weren't for Lucia who walked me through my weekly rants about the scale, and telling me to keep faith, I probably would have resorted back to 1400 cals again. This last week I finally bit the bullet and jumped up to my Cut value, an additional 600 cals more than my BMR and what I was eating a day..
    And guess what?? The scale dropped an amazing 3.8 pounds! Never in my life have I ever gotten a loss that big in a single week, even when I did weight watchers and was at my heaviest. Believe me, the frustration over gaining for a few weeks will disappear completely when you come out the other end eating more, feeling better and finally seeing susatainable losses. If I can lose this much weight in a single week eating as much as I have been, you can be certain I will not eat 1400 cals again.

Have faith. It has been proven time and time again that we need to fuel our bodies. Let go of the "diet/starvation" mentality and start treating your body how you want to treat it for life.

Thank you so much for sharing! That was a very encouraging post!
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member

Thanks for this. I'm in week 8 of gradually increasing and seeing no success. Your post gives me hope. :happy:
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member

Thanks for this. I'm in week 8 of gradually increasing and seeing no success. Your post gives me hope. :happy:

Stop with the graduals.. go right to your Cut value.. honestly, that is what finally made the weight start to drop for me. Just do it.. its like a bandaid, it only hurts for a second:)
  • rmk20togo

Stop with the graduals.. go right to your Cut value.. honestly, that is what finally made the weight start to drop for me. Just do it.. its like a bandaid, it only hurts for a second:)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Well, if I figured TDEE correctly, last month I averaged about 100 calories per day under the 20% cut and I lost 1/10# :sad: :sad:

On the upside, I never figured I could eat this much and not gain!!!
  • ANewLucia

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Well, if I figured TDEE correctly, last month I averaged about 100 calories per day under the 20% cut and I lost 1/10# :sad: :sad:

On the upside, I never figured I could eat this much and not gain!!!

LOL...sounds to me, that maybe you need to go to tdee - 15%:-)
  • rmk20togo

Yep, made that change yesterday and I'm stuffed. :sick: Giving it a month and will reevaluate.

Thanks for your guidance!!!
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member

Yep, made that change yesterday and I'm stuffed. :sick: Giving it a month and will reevaluate.

LOL. Congrats on ripping the bandaid, lol. The stuffed feeling should subside ;) grab a good digestive enzyme in the meantime, lol...
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195

LOL. Congrats on ripping the bandaid, lol. The stuffed feeling should subside ;) grab a good digestive enzyme in the meantime, lol...

Just got my papaya enzyme. Do you follow the directions, and take two w/ water before every meal, or is there another routine to follow?
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member

Just got my papaya enzyme. Do you follow the directions, and take two w/ water before every meal, or is there another routine to follow?

Just take as directed is fine. The last ones I had were actually chewable...