Increasing Calories - What to expect & why you need patience...

Options

Replies

• MeDoula
    MeDoula Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hi there...
    I'm new here and new to MFP. I'm really glad I found this group. What I'm reading here makes so much sense.

Here is part of my story. In 2007, I became pregnant with my daughter and gained 60 lbs. I tried desperately to lose the weight for couple years now without great success. I've been on Weight Watchers for months but the scale has been moving VERY slowly. Little over a month ago, my husband and I decided to start Insanity. Since we started the program, I've been eating most of my WW points (daily + weekly + some activity points) but it's still not enough. I was starving so I decided to ditch Weight Watchers and count calories instead. The scale has not moved down AT ALL for couple weeks but I lost inches so that's good.
    Like many who already posted before me, I'm afraid upping my calories (which I already did for the last couple days) but I know it will benefit my health and weight loss so I'm going stick with it. Expect me to come back and cry if I gain back my inches :laugh:

I have couple questions.

1. I'm reading some are deducting 10, 15 or 20% from their TDEE. I'm sorry if I missed it here (It's a long thread) but how does one determine how much to deduct? I would like to lose around 2 lbs per week.

2. Can I just use my BMR + calories burned for a specific day? According to heart rate monitor they range between 300-580 per workout. I'm usually not very active throughout the day aside of Insanity.

3. If it's ok to use BMR + calories burned, which method should I use for BMR? (Harris-Benedict Formula or Katch-McArdle Formula/ 1533 cal vs 1391 cal)
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I've been going by this method for about 6 weeks now. I've been eating healthy, unprocessed foods (for the most part), eating 15% below my TDEE, always making sure I eat above my BMR when I exercise, and going to the gym 5 times a week for an hour at a time. I've made 2 very important changes in my lifestyle and eating habits. I now go to the gym... and I also eat healthy. Whereas before I ate whatever I wanted and didn't go to the gym. I took a picture of myself before I started this, 6 weeks ago... and I took another picture this morning. The pictures look the same... and the scale has stayed the same. What am I doing wrong? It makes me want to give up and just eat all that yummy pizza, cookies, brownies, etc. that I was able to eat before! Here are some facts about myself if it helps at all figure out what I could be doing wrong to see absolutely no results at all in 6 weeks.

weight: 145
    height: 5' 7"
    BMR: 1483
    TDEE: 2289
    Calories consumed per day: 1900
    Sleep: 7-8 hours per night
    Gym: 5 days a week. 30 mins cardio (2 HIIT sessions per week), and heavy lifting
    Water consumed: 8 cups per day

I do not eat any kind of meat. I do drink a protein shake after the gym. I go to the gym at night time because it's the only time I can go besides weekends. I eat about an hour before the gym. I drink my protein shake 30 mins after the gym. I go to bed about an hour after coming home from the gym. I bought the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" and I will incorporate all of those tips into my routines.

I'm just really disappointed that after 6 weeks of eating healthy and exercising, I see absolutely no results at all.

Any thoughts?:ohwell:

Hey girl, you didn't mention your age? That TDEE actually looks a bit low for your weight/height/activity level. I'd think you'd be closer to 2400-2500 or so, and around 2000-2100 for TDEE. Try this calc, and see what you get:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Hi there...
    I'm new here and new to MFP. I'm really glad I found this group. What I'm reading here makes so much sense.

Here is part of my story. In 2007, I became pregnant with my daughter and gained 60 lbs. I tried desperately to lose the weight for couple years now without great success. I've been on Weight Watchers for months but the scale has been moving VERY slowly. Little over a month ago, my husband and I decided to start Insanity. Since we started the program, I've been eating most of my WW points (daily + weekly + some activity points) but it's still not enough. I was starving so I decided to ditch Weight Watchers and count calories instead. The scale has not moved down AT ALL for couple weeks but I lost inches so that's good.
    Like many who already posted before me, I'm afraid upping my calories (which I already did for the last couple days) but I know it will benefit my health and weight loss so I'm going stick with it. Expect me to come back and cry if I gain back my inches laugh

I have couple questions.

1. I'm reading some are deducting 10, 15 or 20% from their TDEE. I'm sorry if I missed it here (It's a long thread) but how does one determine how much to deduct? I would like to lose around 2 lbs per week.

2. Can I just use my BMR + calories burned for a specific day? According to heart rate monitor they range between 300-580 per workout. I'm usually not very active throughout the day aside of Insanity.

3. If it's ok to use BMR + calories burned, which method should I use for BMR? (Harris-Benedict Formula or Katch-McArdle Formula/ 1533 cal vs 1391 cal)

We always recommend starting with lower deficit to give you more leeway, and to make it adaptable to your own life. Because you are setting yourself up for how you'd like to eat for the rest of your life, we prefer not to rush things, and to enjoy eating a decent amount of food while still losing weight nice and slow. That being said, it's often hard for many to let go of trying to lose as much as possible, as soon as possible, lol, so many still pick the higher end of the deficits. We typically recommend 15% as a nice, middle of the road option, but, ultimately we are all for individuality, and realizing that there is no "one-size-fit-all" category w/EM2WL. Some choose 20% because the thought of eating so much is frightening, or whatever their reason. Others, like myself, lol, love food, and choose lower deficits (I only do 10%, cuz I loves my food :tongue: ) So, it's your life, the choice is yours how you decide to take it back :wink:

It is preferred that in the beginning, you just stick to eating your "cut #" (TDEE - 15% or whatever) *every day*. Consistency and earning your body's trust in the beginning, is more important that being exact w/that days burns. TDEE takes into account ALL of your activity for the week and spreads out the cals over a week's time for you, so there is no need for you to further regulate how and when the cals are eaten. For simplicity, and for the sake of earning your body's trust (so that it doesn't think you are just binging on workout days), eat the same amount every day, until your body has stabilized, fully.

And yes, if you gain, we fully expect you to come back and cry :sad: , and we will all have a group hug, and tell you to hang in there :smooched: . It will only be a matter of time before you come back again, saying how happy you are that you stuck it out, and have your hand at encouraging another newbie :drinker:

~Kiki
  • MeDoula
    Options
    Thanks so much for your reply Kiki!

My TDEE - 15 % is 1837. How do I translate that in MFP? Here is my guess: I set my "Net Calories Consumed" Goal to 1837 cal, submit my workouts and make sure that "=Net" is not below my BMR?
  • MeDoula
    Options
    NM. I was able to find the answer in one of the pinned threads :)
    It looks like I'll need to eat a lot today. I wonder how it should get those calories in...I'm stuffed already ;p

My TDEE - 15 % is 1837. How do I translate that in MFP? Here is my guess: I set my "Net Calories Consumed" Goal to 1837 cal, submit my workouts and make sure that "=Net" is not below my BMR?
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    NM. I was able to find the answer in one of the pinned threads :)
    It looks like I'll need to eat a lot today. I wonder how it should get those calories in...I'm stuffed already ;p

Hi MeDoula, you will get used to eating and soon wonder how you ever managed on lower cals. :flowerforyou:
  • loverdontstop
    Options
    Oops! I knew I was forgetting something. I am 25 years old. I used the calculator you provided (and many others before, just to get a good estimate) and it says that my stats are:

3-5 hours a week of moderate exercise:
    BMR: 1476
    TDEE: 2288
    TDEE - 15% = 1945
    TDEE - 20% = 1830

Hey girl, you didn't mention your age? That TDEE actually looks a bit low for your weight/height/activity level. I'd think you'd be closer to 2400-2500 or so, and around 2000-2100 for TDEE. Try this calc, and see what you get:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • beachdiva2010
    beachdiva2010 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I had 2 gals come ask me earlier for help. First,I suggested our group, and really broke it down via scoobys site. Unfortunately they both decided to stay at 1200 cal per day. A 500 cal jump scared them to death. Lucia and Kiki it broke my heart for them. But I told them that I/we would be here when their ready!!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I had 2 gals come ask me earlier for help. First,I suggested our group, and really broke it down via scoobys site. Unfortunately they both decided to stay at 1200 cal per day. A 500 cal jump scared them to death. Lucia and Kiki it broke my heart for them. But I told them that I/we would be here when their ready!!

They will come around when they are tired of the deprivation, hair loss, brittle nails, lose of menses....it is sad.
  • Girl_Bomb
    Girl_Bomb Posts: 195
    Options
    Week 2 of project eat more, 2lbs up on the scale, staying strong, getting stronger, still eating.
  • mjslazak
    mjslazak Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    *bump*

Thanks for this post. Very very helpful and I know I will re-read it to remind myself of why patience is important!
  • 4jenniferk
    4jenniferk Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Great information.... I know someone who needs to read this.... Thanks!
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I have a food baby right now from upping calories.. PATIENCE, Cat! :laugh:
  • 31prvrbs
    Options
    Oops! I knew I was forgetting something. I am 25 years old. I used the calculator you provided (and many others before, just to get a good estimate) and it says that my stats are:

3-5 hours a week of moderate exercise:
    BMR: 1476
    TDEE: 2288
    TDEE - 15% = 1945
    TDEE - 20% = 1830

What methods are you using to track your progress? Scale? Measurements? Pics? I recommend doing all three. Everyone sees progress in different ways. I rarely see changes w/the first or second method, but those darn pics NEVER lie. I absolutely recommend tracking your progress in pics. Most ladies that I work with, will SWEAR that nothing is changing, but then I show them the pics side by side and they're blown away. So take the pics, and DON'T delete them, no matter how much you don't wanna see the "before" because they come in darned handy when you put them side by side w/a new pic weeks later. :wink:

This is especially true, the nearer you get to goal weight.

~Kiki
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I've jumped on and off the "eat at cut" train so many time I'm dizzy. Every time I see a gain I bail (confessions of a daily weigher). I'm summoning the courage to recommit and trust the process. My question is how long do you watch the scale go up (pounds or weeks) before you figure out the numbers just aren't quite right and it's time to cut back? I've only made it a few days or maybe a whole week before the scale scared me back to 1400 calories. My cut is around 2150. I know measurements and pictures (though I will not be taking any undies pics):noway: are important. I'm not very accurate at measuring, but I'll give it a try. I know I should commit to X number of weeks before I bail, I just need help solving for x.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I've jumped on and off the "eat at cut" train so many time I'm dizzy. Every time I see a gain I bail (confessions of a daily weigher). I'm summoning the courage to recommit and trust the process. My question is how long do you watch the scale go up (pounds or weeks) before you figure out the numbers just aren't quite right and it's time to cut back? I've only made it a few days or maybe a whole week before the scale scared me back to 1400 calories. My cut is around 2150. I know measurements and pictures (though I will not be taking any undies pics):noway: are important. I'm not very accurate at measuring, but I'll give it a try. I know I should commit to X number of weeks before I bail, I just need help solving for x.

I would say at least give it a month.. And maybe try putting the scale away for a while... it is an evil contraption
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Today was my 4th day of eating at higher calories.. and while I do feel kind of bloated, I noticed today at work that I feel more alert! Not that I was sleepy or groggy before.. kind of hard to explain, I guess I felt more focused/sharp. Also, yesterday I "remembered" I had to eat dinner. Before I couldn't wait until dinnertime arrived.

I take my measurements once a month, and was due to measure again on May 26th... but I'm wondering if I should postpone that, as I don't want to get discouraged if my waistline is bigger! :laugh:
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    OKAy. I am FREAKING OUT:noway:
    HELP!!!
    Did a metabolism reset for 6 weeks and went from roughly 167 pounds to about 173. 2.5 weeks ago I started cutting back on calories, and decreased intake from about 2250 down to 2100 or so. After 1 weeks I lost a pound down to 172. week two gained .2. TOday I get on the scale and it says 175 :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :angry: :mad: :explode: :explode: :explode:

My macros didnt change. WOrkouts didnt change. Nothing changed except I am eating less. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE. I checked my weight yesterday and it was 175, so I wanted to see today if that was some sort of cosmic joke/fluke/error and it actually said 175.6 or something. What the eff!!!!! My average intake for the past week was 2000. According to BMF my average burn was 2300. something is not right here.....
    (and yes I have had labs etc. thyroid is fine and no its not TOM. Not due for 2 weeks.)
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have any answers for you, but just wanted to note that I tend to gain weight right around ovulation, more so than TOM. Not sure if you have ever tracked that or not, but it was my first thought when you said you have 2 weeks until TOM. I am noticing that ovulation is more of a PIA than TOM now for me as far as symptoms go. Hang in there, wish I could help you, hugs.
    I am curious to see what Lucia or Kiki have to say. I am a little over 1 week into my reset.
  • 31prvrbs
    Options
    OKAy. I am FREAKING OUT:noway:
    HELP!!!
    Did a metabolism reset for 6 weeks and went from roughly 167 pounds to about 173. 2.5 weeks ago I started cutting back on calories, and decreased intake from about 2250 down to 2100 or so. After 1 weeks I lost a pound down to 172. week two gained .2. TOday I get on the scale and it says 175 :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :angry: :mad: :explode: :explode: :explode:

My macros didnt change. WOrkouts didnt change. Nothing changed except I am eating less. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE. I checked my weight yesterday and it was 175, so I wanted to see today if that was some sort of cosmic joke/fluke/error and it actually said 175.6 or something. What the eff!!!!! My average intake for the past week was 2000. According to BMF my average burn was 2300. something is not right here.....
    (and yes I have had labs etc. thyroid is fine and no its not TOM. Not due for 2 weeks.)

What did you do the day before weigh in? I don't get accurate weigh-ins until a few days off from working out. Higher carb day? Lift weights? etc. it all messes w/the scale. I've been 1lb higher each day this week that I've gotten on the scale. Not to mention whenever cals fluctuate, so does the scale.

How often do you weigh? often enough to know the different things that affect YOUR scale? If you can take the mental aspect of it, I'd highly recommend it. When figuring out mine, I'd weigh everyday, taking note of what I did or ate the day before. That way I began to really understand what things affected the next mornings weigh in. You would be shocked at the difference in my weight the day after leg day, vs a week off from weights. Typically around 4-5lbs.

If you're gonna use the scale as your measure of progress, then you really need to learn what your personal trends are. Just picking a weigh in "day" means nothing if it doesn't correlate to your body's time. Your body doesn't care that "it's been a week since the last weight in" if you just hit the weights heavy the day before, it's still not gonna tell you what you wanna hear....

Learn your body's best "scale time" and weigh in accordingly.... :wink:
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

I usually weigh in once per week, because unfortunately the scale to a large extent does dictate my mood but I mean at this point it cant get much worse, so I can try tracking for a couple weeks with daily weigh ins. I also measure, and those havent changed in the past 2 weeks, but I didnt check since sat.
    Tuesday i did a stronglifts workout, wednesday i did 25 minute HIIT, and today stronglifts again.
    I know the scale can fluctuate up, especially with lifting, which I started almost 3 weeks ago, but, for me, the past 5-8 months, I trend up, and it never comes down. I will have a no-good-reason jump in weight, expect it to go down, and it doesnt, which is why I am freaking out a bit here. When I started on MFP last year I was 162, and here I am today at 175 :noway:
    Sooo will weigh in daily for a couple weeks and see what happens...