Increasing Calories - What to expect & why you need patience...

Options

Replies

• Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this information! I have recently decided the starvation method isn't helping (no weight lose after 6 weeks at or below 1200 calories). I have been reading, reading, reading. I LOVE the book NROLFW! Something clicked in my head and I'm super excited to start this lifestyle change. I decided that I would up my caloric intake gradually though, going from 1200 to 1350 for a week and then to 1460 (my TDEE). And I'm not really worried about the scale! As long as I can keep increasing my weights, I will be happy (because I know by doing this I will also decrease my pants size, regardless of the scale.)

Sorry I blabbed on and on... I'm just very stoked!

Congrats on your decision. :) Your body will thank you!

I'm not sure if your TDEE is 1460 or if that's your BMR (which sounds about right), but a gradual approach is often preferred when trying to minimize scale fluctuations that come w/the process, even though it may take a bit longer. As long as you are patient w/yourself and your body, you will be able to change your eating habits around for the best. 50-100 cal/wk is usually a decent rate for a gradual increase.

Stay strong, and keep us posted!

Kiki

This is really resonating with me. But I'm wondering if you mean gradual increase of 50-100 cal per week or per day, upping the daily increase per week. Thanks :-)
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am trying to wrap my head around this. So different than how I've been living since ... Well, forever.

TDEE 2570 (including activity)
    BMR 1675

I am on an 80 day and counting plateau and a lot of kiki's original post resonated with me. I want to reset and move forward. So do I eat my TDEE for 6-8 weeks, then slowly drop to net BMR? Should I keep working out as normal?

This terrifies me, fully and completely, but I am willing to try anything (anything healthy, that is).

THANK YOU.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I am also new to this group and have found some phenomenal information in this thread....thank you so much!

My question has more to do with activity levels as I'm getting quite confused in terms of what is classified as "light" or "moderate" activity. On the Scooby site "light" is 1-3 hrs/week of light and "moderate" is 3-5 hrs/week of moderate exercise.

Before I thought that I would be in the moderate range but after reading some of the posts here I'm second guessing myself. This is generally my workout regime....any help or advice would be great :)

Monday and Wednesday - 1 hour Zumba or alternate cardio (JM Banish Fast Boost Metabolism)
    Tuesday,Thursday, Saturday - Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 plus 30-40 minutes treadmill, either interval training or fast walk on incline
    Friday - Jillian Michaels Banish Fat Boost Metabolism 40 min and sometimes an additional 30 min treadmill.
    Sunday - rest day
  • terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Bumping, so I can find this again and reread when I need to! Thanks for all the fabulous answers.
  • LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am trying to wrap my head around this. So different than how I've been living since ... Well, forever.

TDEE 2570 (including activity)
    BMR 1675

I am on an 80 day and counting plateau and a lot of kiki's original post resonated with me. I want to reset and move forward. So do I eat my TDEE for 6-8 weeks, then slowly drop to net BMR? Should I keep working out as normal?

This terrifies me, fully and completely, but I am willing to try anything (anything healthy, that is).

THANK YOU.

Yes, this is so similar to me!! And I'm scared, but excited!! I've just done all my calculations and my TDEE cut by 15% is 1821.

And I want to thank you SO much for this group, and this post. Couldn't work out how 1200 was doing so little for me while all these people around me ate heaps and maintained good bodies. Now makes SO much sense, and I'm more than willing to be patient. I love reading everyone else's stories and seeing their progress. You guys are awesome!!

So I'm wondering if I start by eating my cut level everyday, or as you said above, do I need to eat TDEE for awhile, whilst still exercising (I do Bikram Yoga some days, and 30DS others).

I have my macros set at suggested 40 carbs, 30 protein, 30 fat. It's exciting working out what to eat for the day. I've only been doing it a couple of days now (eating the 1821), but already I can feel my metabolism firing back up with more energy. I love feeling so much fuller than I was on 1200.

So yeah, just wondering if I should start higher or lower. Thanks in advance for anyone that can help. Really appreciate it!
  • campervangirl
    campervangirl Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm so excited about this!! It all makes really good sense but can you just help with the details please?

I'm:
    5'3"
    168 lbs (on the way down again after losing a lot and putting a lot back on then - strict 1200 diet at times!)
    age 46 years
    BMR 1460
    TDEE -
    1750- little no exercise/desk job so -15% = 1485
    2000 - light (1-3 days/week) -15% = 1700
    2260 moderate (3-5 days/week) -15% = 1920

My problem is I'm not sure what activity level to go for! I usually walk the dogs at good speed for about 40 mins at least 3 or 4 times a week and - would that make me 'light exercise' so TDEE minus 15% makes 1700? And if add 1 or 2 sessions of aquafit/aerobics/weights a week too would that make it 'moderate' at 1920 after cut - this additional activity won't be for a while as I'm recuperating from an operation at the moment so to know both scenarios would really help.)

That seems like a very high total amount of calories to me but if it's right then I most definitely will stick to it - love the thought of not being ravenously hungry anymore!
    with many many thanks Campervangirl

Go with the light cut until you are able to start the add'l exercise. Eat it consistently every single day

Thanks aNewLucia for your quick reply!

Now I've got my head round that I've got 2 more questions please :blushing:

- if you go to a celebration one day and eat over your daily goal then what do you do the next day? do you cut back or carry on as normal?

- looking at my figures of BMR at 1460 against my TDEE - presumably which ever 'level' of activity I'm using I have to still make sure not to go below 1460?

with many many thanks - I am so excited by this!!! :smile:
  • CinJay
    CinJay Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this and I'm going to give it a good go, but since I started eating more, I'm hungrier than I was when I wasn't eating enough! Does this make any sense to anyone? Or am I just backwards? lol
  • mommyweighless
    mommyweighless Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    A friend at Zumba recommended this and I am scared to death. I am going to do it though. My TDEE is 2145 and at -20% my calorie intake is 1715 with little to no exercise because my workout schedule flucuates. But when I do workout I usually burn about 1000+...my question is am I supposed to net at 1715 after workout calories or still work for the 1200 I was doing before?
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    The advice on this thread is incredible!!! I am hoping that I can get some of it too :flowerforyou:

I have been at a stand still since early February, when I started training (triathlon and half marathon) 6x/week. I started upping my cals SLOWLY since then from 1200 to what I have been eating at 1850. I try to keep my macros at 40/30/30 most days and eat healthy, home-cooked, non processed foods. One thing to point out is that I would usually net between 1200-1600. I HAVE NOT HAD ANY FAT LOSS.

I joined this group a week ago, around the same time I read an article by Lyle McDonald called "the full diet break" and started reading the book "metabolic repair manual" by Leigh Peele. I started a metabolic reset then, so I am half way through and refuse to jepordize this process by getting on the scale. right now.

My stats:
    CW: 153
    GW: 142
    H: 5'7"
    BMR: 1500
    TDEE: 2582

*Just a note, I am not actually counting calories right now (for the break). I am eating more, drinking lots of water, and keeping track of calorie burns to make sure I eat accordingly. (I logged cals for long enough to have a good idea of what I am eating right now.)

Am I on the right track? Having spent 3 months increasing calories slowly and seeing zero results, I am beyond frustrated.

Thank you!!!
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    The advice on this thread is incredible!!! I am hoping that I can get some of it too :flowerforyou:

I have been at a stand still since early February, when I started training (triathlon and half marathon) 6x/week. I started upping my cals SLOWLY since then from 1200 to what I have been eating at 1850. I try to keep my macros at 40/30/30 most days and eat healthy, home-cooked, non processed foods. One thing to point out is that I would usually net between 1200-1600. I HAVE NOT HAD ANY FAT LOSS.

I joined this group a week ago, around the same time I read an article by Lyle McDonald called "the full diet break" and started reading the book "metabolic repair manual" by Leigh Peele. I started a metabolic reset then, so I am half way through and refuse to jepordize this process by getting on the scale. right now.

My stats:
    CW: 153
    GW: 142
    H: 5'7"
    BMR: 1500
    TDEE: 2582

*Just a note, I am not actually counting calories right now (for the break). I am eating more, drinking lots of water, and keeping track of calorie burns to make sure I eat accordingly. (I logged cals for long enough to have a good idea of what I am eating right now.)

Am I on the right track? Having spent 3 months increasing calories slowly and seeing zero results, I am beyond frustrated.

Thank you!!!

Hey girl. The slower it takes you to up the cals, typically the longer before things stabilize and you see results. I also did a metabolism reset, which you shouldn't expect to see weight loss until the reset is over. My reset was a few months. Are you at TDEE yet?

Also, are you still training for the marathon?? Are you lifting weights?

I am glad to hear that Leigh has out the book out again, I know she was working on some revisions a few months back.

Kiki
  • Cheri_Moves
    Options
    [/quote]

Hey girl. The slower it takes you to up the cals, typically the longer before things stabilize and you see results. I also did a metabolism reset, which you shouldn't expect to see weight loss until the reset is over. My reset was a few months. Are you at TDEE yet?

I am glad to hear that Leigh has out the book out again, I know she was working on some revisions a few months back.

Kiki
    [/quote]

Thanks for the speedy response! You're fantastic!

-Come to think of it, I hit 159 in february (i remember cuz that was the tip top of my "healthy" BMI :wink: ) so I guess I have lost a few pounds since, but its been so slow I didn't realize it!

-In the McDonald article, he suggested a 2 week break at maintenance... would you guys suggest longer??? This is kinda where I am lost. if i've been under eating for too long, reason leads me to believe a longer "break" would be more beneficial.

- I "think" I'm at TDEE! All the calculators put me between 2300-2500, but when Ive ran HRM tests (3 x's) Ive burned 2700-3100 with exercise. (im busy, I have 2 small kids and do day care for 2 more full time) but since im not counting right now, its just a guesstimate!

-And yes, training harder then ever. Always pushing myself for my next PR... Ive never competed in a triathlon and recently ran my first race (where i placed in top 10 female finishers) so I want to do well. I take my training seriously. And I am still weight training. I love new rules and follow it to a T... except I didnt really increase my calories like the book said. I was stubborn. AND i didnt "eat my calories back" like I guess I should have.

- I received the Peele's book via email so I dont know which version it is... but its really good!
  • Megdmcda
    Megdmcda Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    loved it.; thanx
  • campervangirl
    campervangirl Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks aNewLucia for your quick reply! :flowerforyou:

Now I've got my head round that I've got 2 more questions please

- if you go to a celebration one day and eat over your daily goal then what do you do the next day? do you cut back or carry on as normal?

- looking at my figures of BMR at 1460 against my TDEE - presumably which ever 'level' of activity I'm using I have to still make sure not to go below 1460?

with many many thanks - I am so excited by this!!! :happy:
  • Megdmcda
    Megdmcda Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    wouldn't u need to lower it as well as u lose weight? because ur bmr and ur tdee lowers as u lose weight. so why when u plateau would u go up again if ur tdee has been lowered?
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Thanks aNewLucia for your quick reply! :flowerforyou:

Now I've got my head round that I've got 2 more questions please

with many many thanks - I am so excited by this!!! :happy:

If you have a spike day next day eat your regular cut.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    wouldn't u need to lower it as well as u lose weight? because ur bmr and ur tdee lowers as u lose weight. so why when u plateau would u go up again if ur tdee has been lowered?

Yes you should recalc your numbers every 5lbs down. Trust me after doing this for a while you become so in tuned with your body. You will take your own self from cut to tdee to give self a break from dieting...its a natural progression as you learn. But in the beginning just focus on being consistent.
  • ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've come to that point where pants are tighter and I'm sooo needing motivation!!! :( just finished week 2 so I know it's early still.
  • kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I've come to that point where pants are tighter and I'm sooo needing motivation!!! :( just finished week 2 so I know it's early still.

I'm on week6 and mine are still tight :( Sorry not much motivation I just keep telling myself that this is good for my body. Hang in there, it'll turn around!
  • Lissette_Brooks
    Lissette_Brooks Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Cheri_Moves
    Options
    [/quote]

Kiki
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

Thanks for the speedy response! You're fantastic!

-Come to think of it, I hit 159 in february (i remember cuz that was the tip top of my "healthy" BMI :wink: ) so I guess I have lost a few pounds since, but its been so slow I didn't realize it!

-In the McDonald article, he suggested a 2 week break at maintenance... would you guys suggest longer??? This is kinda where I am lost. if i've been under eating for too long, reason leads me to believe a longer "break" would be more beneficial.

- I "think" I'm at TDEE! All the calculators put me between 2300-2500, but when Ive ran HRM tests (3 x's) Ive burned 2700-3100 with exercise. (im busy, I have 2 small kids and do day care for 2 more full time) but since im not counting right now, its just a guesstimate!

-And yes, training harder then ever. Always pushing myself for my next PR... Ive never competed in a triathlon and recently ran my first race (where i placed in top 10 female finishers) so I want to do well. I take my training seriously. And I am still weight training. I love new rules and follow it to a T... except I didnt really increase my calories like the book said. I was stubborn. AND i didnt "eat my calories back" like I guess I should have.

- I received the Peele's book via email so I dont know which version it is... but its really good!
    [/quote]

I messed up the quotes on this response, sorry... Did you have a chance to read through? I still had a few questions :embarassed: