Increasing Calories - What to expect & why you need patience...

Options

Replies

• 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

I usually weigh in once per week, because unfortunately the scale to a large extent does dictate my mood but I mean at this point it cant get much worse, so I can try tracking for a couple weeks with daily weigh ins. I also measure, and those havent changed in the past 2 weeks, but I didnt check since sat.
    Tuesday i did a stronglifts workout, wednesday i did 25 minute HIIT, and today stronglifts again.
    I know the scale can fluctuate up, especially with lifting, which I started almost 3 weeks ago, but, for me, the past 5-8 months, I trend up, and it never comes down. I will have a no-good-reason jump in weight, expect it to go down, and it doesnt, which is why I am freaking out a bit here. When I started on MFP last year I was 162, and here I am today at 175 :noway:
    Sooo will weigh in daily for a couple weeks and see what happens...

the body reacts to HIIT in similar fashion as weight lifting, so consider HIIT a lifting day when it comes to the scale (it's the equivalent of "leg day" lol) :wink:

FWIW, I've gained close to 10lbs since joining MFP as well. And by my measurements the tape hasn't changed either. But I freely admit that my measuring skills aren't the greatest, lol. Be sure to take pics, too. That's the only place I ever see changes, lately. :ohwell:
  • LessJos
    LessJos Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I am considering upping my calories again starting today but I am scared. I am 5'8, 171lbs and need to lose bodyfat (roughly 30% right now).
    I lost almost 75lbs last year. Beginning of this year I was at 1200 but stalled and then upped to 1400 end of January. Gained a few pounds and stalled. Then upped again end of March to 1700 and gained a few more pounds and stalled again.
    I measure all my calories burned during workouts with HRM and eat them back.

Any suggestions?
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I tend to gain weight right around ovulation, more so than TOM.

^^^^ This is me exactly. Ovulation is always good for 2-4#. I've tracked my weight on an app used to track TOM and it's crazy how accurately I can predict my gain.
  • candykay89
    candykay89 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks to Jaeone for introducing me to this group. I have the patience therefore, the wait will be worth it in the end...Thanks for your immense support...
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback!! Much appreciated.

@ Josey: I have similar stats. How long have you been at this?
  • LessJos
    Options

Been at what?
  • ilovesparkle
    ilovesparkle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    This whole thing is just so confusing to me. I have about 80 pounds to lose and have recently upped my calories to my BMR of 1798. I'm trusting this whole process; I don't own a scale so I don't worry about the weight freaking me out. I just want to be healthy! I get about a half hour of exercise a day at the moment. I'm going to do my measurements today to see where I end up on the week to week.

I am definitely one of those low calorie dieters, in fact, I was doing MFP's recommended 1200 calories when I first started. I have NEVER EVER stuck with any form of weight loss, but I have a lot on the line right now and need to get this excess fat off of me.

So 4 weeks is the standard amount of time to try this before seeing any results? What happens at the end of 4 weeks, do we drop calories?
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options

Been at what?

How long have you been stalled this last time???
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Make sure to net you BMR, but your calorie intake is your cut number. That is your TDEE number minus 15%. Eat that number everyday, even rest days. That number, of course, has factored in your exercise calories. Give it 6 six weeks for your body to adjust and then see where you are. Please take pictures. When the scale and inches seem to stand still, pictures really show the magic!!! Wish you great success!!!!
  • LessJos
    Options

Been at what?

How long have you been stalled this last time???

I increase end of March gained a couple of pounds the week later and stalled since
  • Kgreenlaker
    Kgreenlaker Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I increased my calories about 900 calories to my BMR a week ago and I have gained 3 lbs in a week. I am going to see this through for six weeks but I hope this starts going the other way soon.
  • mayralee13
    mayralee13 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I went here http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    to calculate how much I have to eat. Im 26, 5'4', 180lbs and exercise like 30 min. 4 times a week.

It said that my BMR is 1433
    TDEE 1719
    daily calorie intake 1461

In not sure if its ok, it seems like to little
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I went here http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    to calculate how much I have to eat. Im 26, 5'4', 180lbs and exercise like 30 min. 4 times a week.

It said that my BMR is 1433
    TDEE 1719
    daily calorie intake 1461

In not sure if its ok, it seems like to little

The cut is too close to bmr. I would suggest eating 1600 daily and make sure to net bmr on workout days.
  • carriejean49
    carriejean49 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey about two years ago and the first year lost about 30 lbs. I wasn't really focusing too much on calorie intake, was just trying to eat better and incorporate exercise. About April/May of 2011 I got more serious about running and nutrition and was limiting my calories to about 1600-1800 per day with exercise. I lost another 5lbs and then started training for a half marathon. I noticed that once I started hitting long runs of 7-8 miles and up, my weight loss completely stopped. I don't believe I was fueling properly. In January of this year I had a New Leaf Metabolic assessment done. It stated my RMR was 1588 and my total daily caloric needs were 2064. From January up until a week ago I ate 2064-500+exercise=2100-2400 calories per day deepening on calories burned with exercise. If I do my calcs for the TDEE it is 2,513, BMR is 1627, TDEE-15% is 2136. This seems to be right inline with what I have been doing since January with no results, I've only fluctuated up and down a few lbs. About 3-4 days ago I began eating at TDEE (2513) thinking I should reset my metabolism.

Here are my stats:
    189 (was 186 pretty consistently since January until I upped my calories a couple days ago, 190 after I completed my 1/2 marathon in October)
    5'7"
    35 yrs old
    Work out 5 days/wk (M-Run, Tues-lift, Wed-spin, Th-weights w/ trainer and cardio HIIT, Friday swim, weekends generally off)

Any help or suggestions would be great!!!
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey about two years ago and the first year lost about 30 lbs. I wasn't really focusing too much on calorie intake, was just trying to eat better and incorporate exercise. About April/May of 2011 I got more serious about running and nutrition and was limiting my calories to about 1600-1800 per day with exercise. I lost another 5lbs and then started training for a half marathon. I noticed that once I started hitting long runs of 7-8 miles and up, my weight loss completely stopped. I don't believe I was fueling properly. In January of this year I had a New Leaf Metabolic assessment done. It stated my RMR was 1588 and my total daily caloric needs were 2064. From January up until a week ago I ate 2064-500+exercise=2100-2400 calories per day deepening on calories burned with exercise. If I do my calcs for the TDEE it is 2,513, BMR is 1627, TDEE-15% is 2136. This seems to be right inline with what I have been doing since January with no results, I've only fluctuated up and down a few lbs. About 3-4 days ago I began eating at TDEE (2513) thinking I should reset my metabolism.

Here are my stats:
    189 (was 186 pretty consistently since January until I upped my calories a couple days ago, 190 after I completed my 1/2 marathon in October)
    5'7"
    35 yrs old
    Work out 5 days/wk (M-Run, Tues-lift, Wed-spin, Th-weights w/ trainer and cardio HIIT, Friday swim, weekends generally off)

You def weren't eating enough for the half marathon.

Are you doing 5hrs of exercise a week? Then you are moderate over 5 hours go up to the next level.

TDEE at mod will be about cut at next level up.... think it is a good idea for you to eat the moderate tdee. Give yourself 8 wks on that then cut 10% to see if you start losing.
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Hey all,
    I have a BMF and it's giving me burns of around 2700 per day. That seems pretty high but that's what it says. Any advice on whether I can lose with a small deficit?

It doesn't seem feasible that I could lose eating 2200-2300 per day because that's what I've been maintaining on (and before this month when I did a metabolism reset, that made me GAIN), but I have several friends of similar height/weight who say they can lose on 2200 calories.

Any input?

CW 139
    Height: 5'5"
  • cohenandlani
    cohenandlani Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting out at eating higher cals. Since starting MFP and diligently recording I've consistently been under 1200 but my plateau has been going on for a month and I'm too frustrated not to try this.

I've read this thread from start to finish and I have to say what is worrying me most is that all I've heard is about people putting on weight? Can someone please come in here and reassure me that after doing a metabolic reset they did start losing and losing consistently.

It's been 3 days of higher cals and I have to say I feel so bloated, sluggish and heavy! This is going to really take some adjustment and if I keep this up im not sure I'll see it through?

Really after some reassurance of how it's gone moving on from the initial gains from someone that's been doing it a while.
    R xx
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I lost after doing mine. I lost about 1.5 lbs in 3 weeks. I want to see if I can lose eating even more, just playing with the numbers :)

The bloated feeling will go away soon. Give it about 2-3 weeks. You'll feel a lot better. Also depends on what you're eating. Eat less "diet" food and more real food. Less bloat!
    That helped me when I started.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Hey all,
    I have a BMF and it's giving me burns of around 2700 per day. That seems pretty high but that's what it says. Any advice on whether I can lose with a small deficit?

It doesn't seem feasible that I could lose eating 2200-2300 per day because that's what I've been maintaining on (and before this month when I did a metabolism reset, that made me GAIN), but I have several friends of similar height/weight who say they can lose on 2200 calories.

Any input?

CW 139
    Height: 5'5"

You should lose on 2400 cals, that is a good small def.
  • carriejean49
    carriejean49 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Here are my stats:
    5'7"
    35 yrs old

You def weren't eating enough for the half marathon.

Are you doing 5hrs of exercise a week? Then you are moderate over 5 hours go up to the next level.

TDEE at mod will be about cut at next level up.... think it is a good idea for you to eat the moderate tdee. Give yourself 8 wks on that then cut 10% to see if you start losing.

Thank you, I'll eat at moderate TDEE (2513) for the next 8 weeks and see how it goes. Thanks!