Chilean pan pipes
    Conch
    Upright and elec bass
    elec violin
    Sax
  • Snoopaloop63
    Snoopaloop63 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I;ve played guitar for over 40 years (since I was 8). I like to play rock and punk but used to play acoustic folk. I have played drums off and on since I was 10 (39 years) , and I have played bass since I was 18 (31 years). So I have a few skills.

I am in the process of learning mandolin and banjo. I like to play hard rock or punk but want to play some irish drinking music or bluegrass on the side

Can't sing on key. It's too bad because I have great ideas for melodies but I just can't hit the notes. Maybe I will take some lessons and see if there is hope
  • jamszy
    jamszy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I love music and performing! I play by ear but also read music. All self taught...

Piano: 22 years
    Drums: 15+ years
    Guitar: 11 years
    Throw in bass, harmonica, a little accordion, and that pretty much sums it up!

I'm a drummer at heart, but would love to play piano for a talented chick singer. My heart melts for female vocals.
  • heliumheels
    heliumheels Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    do you play any? for how long? skill level? recreational or professional? genre(s)? influences?

I play some. I've played guitar for about 16 years and I sing as well. I'm good, but I haven't had much time to practice, due to working full-time, going to school part-time and working out. I also live in an apt complex, so I can't really rock out too hard. I almost went to Berklee College of Music, but I decided not to. I did a summer program with them about 9 years ago. I play recreationally, but I would love to start a band. I don't know what genre I'd consider the music I play and write. I listen to a lot of punk, indie, classic rock, alt rock, progressive, etc. I recently started playing ukulele and that has been a lot of fun. I also dabble with bass, drums, and keyboard.

So when are we starting a band?
  • Snoopaloop63
    Snoopaloop63 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    heliumheels: Me and a bass player/singer need a drummer for our all girl rock/punk band!!! OR a 2nd guitarist! I don't suppose you live in Oregon?
  • annigoes118
    annigoes118 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Guitar, its my almost favourite instrument! and the piano, also great
  • shreddergurl
    shreddergurl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i play guitar
  • eveshakti
    Options
    professional violinist/fiddler - playing for over 30 years... mainly eat by teaching a violin studio, love improvising and also do music research (but that doesn't pay yet).

Love working across the arts - I am playing for a belly dancer doing mutual improv on saturday. have also worked with circus artists, magicians, and storytellers
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Amateur guitarist, singer, and pianist. I don't get the time to practice much, my roommates don't appreciate it. :o(
  • dantrick
    dantrick Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    do you play any? for how long? skill level? recreational or professional? genre(s)? influences?

Guitar - 20+ years - Professional level
    Sing - Main vocals - 5 nights a week for 5 years
    Keyboards - amateur (only to record for myself (dubstep))
    Bass Guitar - Professional (used to switch with bass player on stage for a set to confuse the audience)

Played mainly classic rock, blues, and a little country. If I got payed I played it. my main influences would be SRV, Joe Satriani, and David Gilmore.
  • BFarnsworth
    BFarnsworth Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Bassist for 6 year .... Mostly by myself. Great for stress. I stick to jazz, blues and funk mostly.
  • musiqueange
    musiqueange Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Flute (15 yrs) and piccolo player (12 yrs)
    Recorder (sopranino-alto, 4 yrs)
    Piano (-25 yrs) (I'm awful. I learned enough to pass piano proficiency in college and promptly forgot all of it)
    (Soon to play) Ukulele as I heard Santa is bringing me one for Christmas... ;)
  • alanray81
    Options
    Greetings everyone. I have been playing guitar for roughly 16 years and bass for roughly 15 years. I have played bass for two metal bands when I lived in Arizona. When I get enough money saved up, i'm planning on getting more equipment and hopefully can start jamming with other musicians.

I currently own/play four electric guitars (all of them are 6 stringers) and two electric basses (one 4 string and one 5 string).

The main people who influenced me on guitar are: James Hetfield (Metallica), Dimebag Darrell, Scott Ian (Anthrax), Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top), Kerry King (Slayer), and Max Cavalera (Sepultura/Soulfly/Cavalera Conspiracy).

The main people who influenced me on bass are: Les Claypool (Primus), Jason Newsted, Cliff Burton, Frank Bello (Anthrax), Dusty Hill (ZZ Top), & Alex Webster (Cannibal Corpse).
  • Michy737
    Michy737 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've played oboe for 14 years and teach privately. I teach K-8 general music. While oboe is my primary I have all played flute for 12 years and have dabbled in all the woodwinds. Being a instrumental music education major pretty much forced you to at least have the basic understanding of everything. Jack of all trades, master of none. I also have my black belt in recorder karate... but seeing as I chose the leveling pieces it is not that much of an accomplishment. :-)

Always looking for musical friends, so feel free to add me!!
  • suzysweetpea
    suzysweetpea Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have played Guitar for about 25 years
  • jsonicfit
    Options
    hello,

i've played guitar for about 16 yrs.

a friend taught me several chords, then learned on my own from there.

i play regularly for my church.
    i've also played out and about (coffee houses, other venues).

i like to play from simple and soft to fast and loud!!

genres: indie/alternative rock.

i've messed more with effects the last several years. it's been interesting...
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I sing :) I would say my skill level is pretty well developed, though I no longer perform so it is dwindling. I used to do classical voice and jazz but now I do karaoke with a beer in my hand haha.

My husband is a jack of al trades musician though. He is amazingly talented. His site is www.theprivatenotion.com if anyone is interested in hearing a new artist. In his single Sad Days he is playing everything and also resorded it by himself. However, he is also great at beer-karaoke ;)
  • LauraGreat
    LauraGreat Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I sing and I'm teaching myself guitar (acoustic). :)

YouTube page:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/LauraAnnMusicChannel

Facebook music page:
    https://www.facebook.com/LauraAnnMusic

Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/LauraAnnMusic

Music is my life, and these pages are the documentation of my journey. <3
  • olivethomasart
    Options
    I'm a drummer to the core (since 2001ish), but because of my living arrangements, I can't have a kit right now. So I picked the guitar back up. I had tried to teach myself around 2003 and got okay at it. Working on powerchords and such now, but I have to admit.... my heart still belongs to the drums. There's a kit that's open to the public I go and bang on every once in a while - every time I come out of that room feeling like I just paid for sex. All the feelings of post coitus are there, sans the payment and STD parts. But I still feel cheap cause it's a very used abused set lol. Annnnywhooo...
    Hopefully I'll continue getting better at the guitar (acoustic) because I find acoustic guitar very soothing and hugging the guitar feels good to me. I'm also typically fidgetty with my fingers so it's helped me calm down several times just by doing scales.
    I sing some and sound alright. I'd like to sing and play the guitar - just because that looks really cool. And I play around with harmonicas now and then.
  • kelag297
    kelag297 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've been playing guitar for about 4 years now and I've played piano for about 12, but never really buckled down and learned much on the piano. In the past year I got a new piano and I've really progressed myself in that finally! I also sing. I'm a self taught musician and do it recreationally, but hopefully one day it'll be more than that :)