Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• jacAth3
    jacAth3 Posts: 1,686 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Gosh, last night’s blustery wind was so noisy it was difficult to sleep especially when rain arrived to be crashed against the windows, then very suddenly it was over… silence and sleep! We had another shorter walk between showers and I did manage to collect a few items blown round the garden but unfortunately the bags of wood for the fire that Linda supplied lost their cover leaving them exposed to the rain. I’ll have to move them into my garage for a few weeks to dry out!
    My lemon tree and a couple of delicate Hibiscus plants have been lifted into the greenhouse although we are still enjoying mild temperatures and I gather by Thursday we will see the return of African air drifting up from the south.

Anne, sadly a lot of our churches and chapels in diocese around the country have been sold off by bishops and converted into private homes but the consecrated ground is not included in the sale. It means the property won’t have a garden but the new owners could well have a view from their windows over a graveyard!

Sandy, my friend’s son is one of those anti vax people who always insisted the pandemic was a fuss about nothing. His mum has a supply of tests at home because she works part time in a store so has to check regularly. As soon as he woke up feeling unwell and with aching legs she guessed what was wrong because she caught Covid a few months ago. She’s sure he brought Covid with him rather than caught it during his visit.

Midnight and time for bed. 💤💤💤
    Jackie 🥰
  • jacAth3
    Options
    Happy Tuesday. A much brighter day and we were walking on the moors nice and early. A beautiful rainbow told me rain was on the way and of course it hit when we reached the top, exposed area. It was still fun for George and Betty and I had waterproofs on. Muddy towels are now waiting to be laundered overnight and I’m making plans for the rest of my day, probably a mix of housework and garden.
    My nephew has let me know my brother John is out of hospital and home with a care package in place so he will get 4 visits a day but no more using the stairs! I may have mentioned before that he doesn’t answer his phone but I will text him but not hold my breath waiting for a response!

Catch you all later.
    Jackie 🥰
  • JillyBurg7
    JillyBurg7 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Hello all on a bright and sunny morning with the heating blasting on. I'm still recovering from the shock of living next door to an empty house once more. It seems only yesterday when Maria asked if she could walk with me and the Bean and go to a coffee shop. I would love to live in Marias house with its fireplace just waiting for the logs i've got stacked in the garage. We have an iron stove downstairs but I'm forbidden to use it until the chimney is swept. I wish she would wait at least a year before selling. She wouldn't be lonely with the friendly folk around us but then I am not in her shoes. Both of her sons live not too far away in this town, but her sister lives way across in a town, two towns away.

PATSY, Helen in Australia wrote that she wraps her cat Sao's head in a towel while she clips his nails. I don't expect it would work with Katie but you never know.

JACKIE I gather sadly a lot of chapels, churches etc are now private homes in the UK. Can you imagine sitting in your living room and reciting "Greys Elergy in a Country Churchyard". Our little church is too new [1957] to boast a churchyard with graves. Nice grounds though with lots of trees and wild life. I met the vicar the other day on one of our walks. A pretty dark haired lady in her thirties I think. She greeted Jilly anyway who she'd met previously with Michael. Jilly knows far more people than me! This church seems to be thriving with a christening one day and a wedding the next. Presumably not the parents of the baby, lol. At one point it was going to close [Marias house build] as the elderly congregation died off, but as the young folk move in, its flourishing again. Part of the grounds are fenced off for a nursery school playtime area, and Jilly loves the little fingers poking through the fence stroking her. Life goes on despite change.

Jilly finally has adjusted to the hour change. A big thank you Jilly with lots of "good little girl" and a treat of course.

Must do something [I guess!]
    Anne.

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,080 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon. Overcast this morning, then a patch of sunshine and now back to overcast again. I didn’t want to get up this morning. While trying to keep away from news and all vote results, bits and pieces showed up on Instagram and YouTube. I guess that is better than sitting and watching the experts chatter for hours. But the local results were very disappointing. I will shut up now. I did finally get up although my coffee did not invigorate me much.

I watched several presentations this morning. The one on foiling was very good. I did more heat embossing because I loved what I did yesterday. I finished all the panels that I had cut and these turned out very nice as well.

Started to do some foiling this afternoon. I hope to get better at this method and then switch over to the hot plate technique. I am sure that sounds soooo interesting. 😉

Anne, I am glad Jilly has adjusted to the time change. Have you? Do you see Michael and Mark regularly each week? Or do things come up that prevent them from stopping by? I hope you get some yarn and find your other art supplies are in good shape. Or maybe you can order a few new things?

Jackie, I am glad your brother is out of the hospital but sorry he won’t answer the phone. I don’t either, usually, unless the caller ID shows the name of someone I know. Have you had any fun at all today. Muddy towels does not sound like fun! We have many churches that are closing due to finances but in town/city, none has their own graveyard. That is more of a rural church thing. So here it is a matter of who wants to purchase the property and will the city zoning ordinances allow it.

Well, be safe everyone. Best wishes everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

A photo posted by a lady unpacking Christmas teacups and teapots. 🙂

imp2ssxz3j5v.jpeg

• jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Overcast and very chilly! Unpleasant damp chill. Sweater is a must.

I was up late watching returns. Here is the funny part. Sort of funny….here in Oregon we had three women running for governor. Democrat, Republican and independent. The independent candidate was a friend of ours. We were very conflicted. We really knew our friend would be a terrible governor. She was in the state senate for years and was often accused of unethical behavior. She is just impatient and felt she always knew best regardless. Thank goodness she lost resoundingly! Now she can go back to being that funny outrageous irreverent woman who flies helicopters and sadly shots machine guns at targets for fun. Our long time really great senator was re-elected!!

Our grandson is our assistant now. He doesn’t do gardening or repairs. He is mainly doing all the lifting and carrying plus a few other chores that is difficult for John and me. He is thrilled for the regular small bit of cash and we were desperate for some help. Win-win!

Our son’s South American girlfriend is back in the picture again. The had a sort of break-up a few months ago. They kept texting and calling etc. change happened in Columbia too. Not sure what or how but she might be coming to visit soon. I try not to pry and wait (impatiently) for Damon to share the Latest romantic news.
    Sigh…
    Patsy☘️
  • JillyBurg7
    Options
    Well PATSY no-one can say you lead a boring life!
    All sounds good!

LIN. Mike turns up once a week and quite often twice. I think Jilly Bean is the attraction - not me! I used to see Mark quite regularly but now its almost a daily thing as he slowly builds up the basement again. The room he's working on used to be a bedroom but removal of the old wardrobe has made it much bigger. Its off the kitchen and I think will make a super downstairs dining room. Meanwhile in the distant future there is talk of changing the upstairs back room which in winter is the coldest room into a utility room and bringing up the washer and dryer. That means changes to the kitchen next door which houses ancient appliances. I somehow don't think I will be here long enough to see these wondrous changes but my imagination is very active!

Which means I had one of my vivid dreams last night bordering on the realm of fantasy. I love going to bed because sometimes I don't like waking up to dull reality. Anyway I had a laugh when dawn broke to the normal world and it IS possible it could come true. Will let you know for sure if it does.

Grocery delivery day. Happy Jilly having something to bark at.

Have fun everyone.
    Anne.
  • jacAth3
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Brady jumping on my legs at 5 this morning woke me and before I went back to sleep I remembered I hadn’t set the timer on my washing machine. Up I got and tottered downstairs, filled the soap and conditioner trays, switched on and went back to bed. Huh, I needn’t have bothered because the promised dry, warm day didn’t materialise so now I’ve got washed dog towels hanging on a dryer in my dining room. We’ve walked round the block and I cooked scrambled eggs on toast for my lunch. Disappointing because all free range birds currently have to be shut in barns due to a severe National outbreak of Avian flu and the egg yolks are pale yellow rather than orange. Tasteless too! My girls still are not laying after moulting so these were shop bought. Yesterday I ordered some clear plastic roof sheets to give them more shelter this Winter so that will be another project!
    Someone is visiting tomorrow to clip some boundary hedges so I must make sure his way is clear to clamber about and that’s my task this afternoon.

Patsy, that’s good news your grandson is assisting you and John. That’s less pressure on you.

From what little I’ve read about the American elections, the country remains split down the middle although I gather Mr T supporters are moving away from him so guess that’s good news. Our NHS nurses have voted to go on strike for the first time ever and they have my sympathy.

I’d better get out into my garden before any rain arrives and I change my mind.
    Jackie 🥰
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,031 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday! Busy with family. Went to dinner last night which was great! Kids went to clean out trailer but are getting ready to head back to my house.
    Have a great day!
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Hello. Wow, what a change in weather, overcast, blustery, and falling temperatures! It is going to be cold, maybe from now on. No one has mentioned another warm-up. I have brought in my container of celery (I want to get the last of the regrowth). I have a bit of lettuce and some herbs but I may just let them go. Still trying to avoid the news but it is inevitable. Sigh.

Well, there is a lot of sickness going around now. Some very ill babies and under age 12s. Lots of praying for these kids. The doctors cannot seem to find a drug to make them better. Unknown viruses again? I don’t know, just many people quite worried about their family members.

I have been doing more hot foiling again today. Just realized Thanksgiving is coming up soon and I have a lot of cards to address and get in the mail. And a couple birthday cards too!

Sandy, busy week for you! Is Babe joining in any of the activities?

Jackie, hummm, eggs are not a great option these day apparently. We are losing millions of chickens again to avian/bird flu. There are 2 outbreaks in our state this week. I am sorry the weather did not turn out to be hospitable for hanging out the wash. I hope the person who is coming to clip hedges—will he/her show up if the weather is wet?

Anne, it is nice that you see both of your sons each week. Who knows how much Mark will accomplish this winter? Meanwhile, crazy wild dreams. Aha, maybe you can turn them into stories! Did your grocery order arrive?

Patsy, I was so surprised when you mentioned the lady from South America. It will be be interesting if she does come to visit. Wishing Damon happiness. So what do you think, when will we have the election settled? Just one run-off election right?

Be safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

I like the poinsettia teapot
    bpb17fnswaqx.jpeg

• jacAth3
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Of course Lin, you know my favourite teapot is the hen! I’m sitting with a mug of coffee and waiting for the arrival of the man who will trim the hedges. Rain won’t put him off… British stock and hardy!😄 It does look as if it could pour any minute but it’s not in the forecast so fingers crossed. Linda will message me when he has finished cutting back her hedge and is on his way.

Anne, I’m having crazy dreams too. Last night I was walking the dogs on a section of moor where I never meet anyone but in this dream I was being followed by a man on a black horse and felt uneasy even though he was smiling. It must be because I began to watch a new BBC series called The English and became so engrossed I stayed up late to watch a further 2 episodes. It has a strong message about the indigenous people in 1890’s America and is rather violent but beautifully filmed in stunning scenery.

At 11am we have a national 2 minutes silence in memory of the fallen in all wars since WWII so I won’t do much until after that has passed.

Jackie 🥰

• JillyBurg7
    Options
    As I go for my shower I had to smile at JACKIES comment about the British cutting hedges in the rain. In my day, up in Yorkshire, they HAD to cut hedges in the rain in November because thats all it did in November before global warming. Sorry Jackie, [said tongue in cheek!]. We will be cutting hedges in snow next week [or more likely NOT] according to the weatherman.

Last night dreaming; I was back in my village of birth. I was talking to a chap who remembered my dad in his cycle shop and everyone else, shop keepers as well as family and woke up realizing everything is gone and vaguely sad. Which reminds me, Marias house is listed at 2 million dollars!
    Whoooooo! I'm going to be sat between millionaires! That's a far cry from my old and now much changed village.

Jilly soon had me out of nostalgia running happily around the coffee table waiting for her "bone" treat.

Going to wash the past right of my hair and go for a shower.

Mikes working and Mark is off on a two day training course to keep his skills up to date.

A quiet, rainy day for us girls,
    Anne.

• jacAth3
    Options
    Anne, I started to type in my comment about the hedge man that he has no choice working in rain but apparently it was our heatwave this year that stopped him working! At least our Cornish rain is tepid! He’s been delayed at Linda’s because her list of jobs got longer through the summer months but he’s very strict about protecting the birds so I think there’s some negotiations taking place! Hopefully he’ll be here before dark to see what I want doing then return another day.

As I plugged in my iPhone to recharge, sparks came out from the wall socket. They are all new as they were installed as part of the renovations so I messaged Paul the electrician to ask if he could drop in and replace it. He responded that he’s off sick after 6 months in hospital. He collapsed at work suffering with something called necrosis pancreatitis and ended up in ICU twice! He doesn’t think the problem is anything more than a lose wire or screw so I can look at that. Meanwhile I’ve chopped up a kilo of crab apples to simmer with a couple of cloves ready to make crab apple jelly to give as Christmas gifts. The timer is beeping so I’ll check they are mush then strain in a jelly bag overnight.

Jackie 🥰
  • jacAth3
    Options
    https://joinzoe.com/learn/sleep-and-the-brain?utm_source=1011Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter_Weekly_Healthstudy

Here’s a funny coincidence. I’ve just received an email with the link above from the research scientists I’m logging information to!

Jackie
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Friday! :) It has been busy with all the children here and today will be the same. We are going to Rob's this afternoon to play more games, see the kiddos and wait for Lisa before having pizza. Probably come back here to play more game. Tomorrow is the funeral and luncheon.

Enjoy you day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jacAth3
    Options
    Sandy, it’s wonderful to read of your gatherings with the children, even though it’s a sad event tomorrow. I hope the funeral goes without a hitch. ❤️
    Jackie
  • linder4866
    Options
    Good afternoon

It is overcast and really cold compared to yesterday. We may get close to freezing today as the high temperature it is time to dig out a winter coat. My fall jacket isn’t going to be enough! We had a few snowflakes earlier and we will see more of those over the coming week if the forecast is accurate.

I have spent most of my time trying to get one of my email accounts to work again. I have it on a number of devices. Each seems to set up a bit differently. Anyway, I lost the ability to send mail from that account on all of my devices at some point in the last week. The error messages looked a bit familiar. I lost the ability to use the mail function on my iOS devices some years ago with my AOL account I got the app and just forged ahead. Anyway, I spent several hours on the phone with the provider of that email and I was flat out exhausted when we gave up last night. I thought I just needed exact server names and port numbers. I finally got brave (or quite stupid) and deleted that mail account from one of my iPads. Just got worse after that. I couldn’t reinstall it and then the other 2 devices wouldn’t get mail either. I shut everything down and went to sleep.

New start this morning. Two devices could get mail again but couldn’t send. The 3rd still couldn’t install the account. I fussed around and finally, the account appeared and I am able to get mail but still not send it.

The tech guy said he would call me back today but I haven’t heard from him. Well, I did ‘a fix’ by adding this email account to all of my Gmail device apps. Couldn’t believe that actually worked. 😉

I made a little bit of soup for lunch. It was nice to have a hot lunch.

This afternoon I am addressing envelopes for my Thanksgiving cards. Making progress on them.

Sandy, I hope all goes well tomorrow. Have the kids finished cleaning out the trailer? Have fun you game players!

Jackie, omg, what horrible news regarding your electrician. Be careful if you are fixing this yourself. Electric shocks are frightening! And I hope the hedge trimming guy shows up today. Or at least he comes tomorrow.

Anne, interesting dreams. Thanks for sharing! Wow, housing is very expensive. Wooooooo! Two million?!?!

Be safe everyone. Sorry for droning on about my email account and the quirks with Apple IOS.

Lin (who is going to make more hot tea)🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

ziw7fdiyuihs.jpeg

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options

2191610q208gshr57.gif
    "The wisdom of life consists in the elimination of non-essentials."---Lin Yutang
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Saturday!❤️. Funeral today, very cold for a graveside service with temps in lower 30’s F. All the kids together yesterday at Rob’s where they went through all kind of pictures and cards. Their dad had a collection of elephants so they each chose one from oldest to youngest including the grandchildren. We keep forgetting to take pictures since we are enjoying our time together so much!
    Have a great day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • JillyBurg7
    Options
    I've just cooked lunch to warm up in the micro and expect Michael any minute.
    I echo LIN, JACKIE PLEASE be careful with electrics. Mark rewired this house the other day and I'm still here!
    LIN, my head swam when I read your account about emails. You are SO clever.
    SANDY, funerals don't have to be sombre affairs. After my Dads funeral the family assembled in Mom and Dads house for the "wake'. Mom and I had previously found a rather naughty but hilarious poem amongst Dads possessions. My cousin Eileen was persuaded to sit on a stool surrounded by us all and she read the poem aloud. Much merriment. My Dad would have liked that.
    BARBIE, Lin Yutang knew what he was talking about.
    Oh Oh, Jilly is barking, Mike must have arrived.
    Happy day wished for everyone,
    Anne.
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    A sunny but cold day. Sweater days now. Thank goodness I have huge supply of every color and condition. Including an old paint stained rose colored cotton sweater. Ugly as sin but I can’t part with it. On cold days like this, I snuggle into this garment, knowing that nothing I do can harm or stain it. It has already suffered through many a project with me.

John is worrying me. He seems to be failing. Everyday brings new hurts and pains. He refuses to do much except sleep, eat, and doze in front of the TV. I will find a way to talk to the doctor and our son will be here on Tuesday. We will find a way to rehab a bit. The old sweetheart needs a helping hand and encouragement. Or a kick in the behind and strong words. Whatever works to bring him back into life. I am trying to handle everything but I tell ya…I am pooped at the end of the day.

We are ordering our groceries from Walmart. There curbside pickup works great here. Our daughter and grandson are doing that for me. I do miss Costco and our natural food store. But really can’t leave John for very long. He keeps falling. I can’t help feeling he is over medicated.

Sorry for the tale of woe here. Things are really not all that awful. Different! Changes and challenges! I will embrace the the small successes. Including a new vacuum cleaner. I am going to follow your lead, dear sneakers. I am getting a shark. Good idea?
    Patsy☘️😵‍💫