Now that we are back, how is everybody doing?

Options
12346»

Replies

• Tiamo719
    Tiamo719 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Welcome Neon! How was your fast day?
  • Neonbeige
    Neonbeige Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thank you! It was fine actually. I drank huge amounts of unsweetened tea and water and ate a nice salad for dinner which added up to almost exactly 500 calories including the toppings (feta etc) . Today is my second day and I am very positive about it, want to stay with the keeping the calories for dinner.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the compliments about my weight loss so far:) It's very encouraging!
    congrats on your 17.6 lbs. plus the inches lost on your waist. You are doing really great on the 5:2. Do you eat at your TDEE on NFD's?

No, I don't eat the recommended TDEE. The different TDEE calculators give me a range from 2200-1500 kcal a day. This is a pretty useless number in order to find out the "state of affairs".

I don't even know my maintenance intake! I use my spreadsheet to track NET intake, to try find out what my actual balance intake is. It certainly isn't 1200. I'm insulin resistant and was possibly pre-diabetic (red light on 2/3 on checklist). I'm only 160 cm (5"3) and 43 years old. Maybe my lower BMR is because of my medical condition.

So I really do wonder about the logic in the 1200 kcal all-purpose kcal limit. It just seems a bit strange to me that a man who is 6 feet tall and is 25 (with more muscles), should have the same limit as a middle aged woman like me:P Maybe MFP doesn't want malnutrition lawsuits...

So TDEE-method doesn't work for me. I'm very active some days, and other days I don't even go out the door. So if I followed the TDEE, I would have to recalculate every day, not worth it for me.

I loosely follow the MFP to track kcal, macros and nutrients.

I think as a general concept the CICO does apply in all diet plans. 5:2 is just another strategy in achieving caloric deficit. Meaning the closer you eat to TDEE, the margins for inaccurate logging on both intake and kcal burnt can easily be obliterated. I think that's why many operate with TDEE - 20% on feed days, to make sure they are in deficit.

So, according to logic, the bigger the deficit, the bigger the loss. The puzzle is to eat enough on feed days to keep energy and nutrition up at acceptable level. Also need to make a contrast to the 500 on FD. If I eat low every day, then I just reverted to a low intake diet plan. Ie. not getting the benefits of "shaking up" metabolism and slowing down kcal adaptation.

The good thing about IF eating plans is that they are very scaleable. You can customize the deficit down to a pretty concise number by tracking your averages.

Do I think loosing over 1 kg a week is for everyone? No.

I'm just showing it's possible to do it and still have lots of energy to workout and keep mental capacities. Not, raving mad, yet... :o And I'll purposely slow down the weekly losses within 3 kg from goal weight.

I used to take 2-3 servings of dinner...and still chafe down a bag of potato chips as dessert.

You decide how much you want to loose in a month by eating in moderation.
    Yes, you can do it :)

You are the boss of your body!
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    @Foamroller - good post. Wish MFP had "like" for the group posts.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    [/quote]So TDEE-method doesn't work for me. I'm very active some days, and other days I don't even go out the door. So if I followed the TDEE, I would have to recalculate every day, not worth it for me.

I think as a general concept the CICO does apply in all diet plans. 5:2 is just another strategy in achieving caloric deficit. Meaning the closer you eat to TDEE, the margins for inaccurate logging on both intake and kcal burnt can easily be obliterated. I think that's why many operate with TDEE - 20% on feed days, to make sure they are in deficit.

[/quote]

@Foamroller
    Changing activity levels is one reason I calculated my TDEE solely for my daily life without workouts. I then add the exercise cals (measured with an hrm) to that. That has worked well for me. Of course with medical conditions, you could be right, that your metabolism is slower than 'normal'.

TDEE - 20% is quite a high deficit for non fast days. With a more or less accurate TDEE and 2 fasts per week you should already reach a weekly deficit of 20%. If it's working for you, then it's fine, but I got really hungry on a large deficit and also know some people, that actually stopped losing weight, while overrestricting. Just something to keep in mind.