so there was this guy in the gym . . .

Options

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i called in the form police on some other lifters today. young guy with two *extremely* young girls.

i honestly try to mind my own business and not throw the staff under the bus about stuff like this. but this time i went down to the guy at the desk and asked him to just keep an eye on them because it really did look so dangerous. and it was that thing where the person who had no clue was not the one who would pay for it with a six-month back injury. little frail girl like a paper drinking straw trying to squat 65 pounds with no prior instruction AT ALL about tightening up or controlling the bar, so it was waving all over the place just from her walking it out. no safety rails, bar not centred, no form whatever, and the guy 'teaching' her not looking like he was even aware of the risks. when she missed the pin on one side trying to put that bar back and the guy couldn't get his arms unfolded in time to catch her, the attendant did step in and spend some time with them and i was SO GLAD.

whatever he said he said it very well too, because after that things got a whole lot less terrifying.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    ^^Neighing like a horse is a new one, I almost wish I could have experienced that (almost).
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    LOL!
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options

but i talked to some-guy a few minutes later just to say thank you for that. just a nice, regular guy who was pretty offended by it, not being all white-knight or anything. there are ways and tones where it could have all been really wrong, but i liked him for being pissed off and prepared to tell the creep so.

I am always appreciative of decent guys who tell creepers to scram! It shouldn't be such a noteworthy thing but I'm always happy to thank someone for being a decent person, esp when they don't make a big deal of it and you know they didn't do it to make you swoon.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    Two guys, actually, monopolizing the squat rack for at least 40 min before I went over to ask when they'd be done. One guy was teaching the other to squat and, from the looks of it, introducing him to the SL program. Only problem is, neither of them was much good. Besides being utterly oblivious to the fact someone was (very obviously) waiting to use the rack, Teacher Guy loaded Newbie up with waaaay more weight than he could handle and said nothing about the major buttwink, leaning too far forward, and overall poor form on said Newbie. Then they'd hang out and chat between sessions, not just resting but having a whole conversations. After 40+ min, they hadn't even finished one set between the two of them!

Then Teacher Guy starts his sets and whips out a belt. He proceeds to good morning every squat with the belt on and with the unfortunate wardrobe choice of sweats that were too big on him....suffice it to say, crack kills. He was also lifting more than he should have been with that form. Teacher Guy then gets Newbie to put on a belt to lift 160 lbs, which Newb was really struggling with. It looked like it was Newb's first session ever, so why he loaded him up with so much weight was beyond me.

When I went and asked about how much they had left, they did immediately invite me to work in, and they were gentlemen about unloading/reloading and moving the bar down for me, which was nice. My angry adrenaline took a while to fade, but I know it's as much my own fault for waiting so long to ask. Thankfully, another regular at the gym pulled them aside while I was working to talk to them about form, and their squats did look a little better when they came back. My gym is planning to get another squat rack and a DL platform some time soon, and I can't wait! I don't have a problem with newbs (obviously, I'm not exactly a pro), but it's very frustrating to be stuck unable to do your workout bc someone else is using it for an excessive amount of time.
  • RNsusieQ
    RNsusieQ Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Leg pressings on the Smith machine....even though the legpress machine was free?!?!?
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    RNsusieQ wrote: »
    Leg pressings on the Smith machine....even though the legpress machine was free?!?!?

Eh, I can see why they might. They can get a different angle, I would imagine, just based on the equipment. And depending on how low it goes before the safety parts catch, might be able to get a better range of motion, though can't say for sure as I don't know how low the smith machine can go. I always have trouble with the leg press because I'm short so not sure if I can even get a deep leg press as my current program recommends cause it's always stopping at the bottom safety part and can't go any lower.

I always forget about this post when I do see things. Like the dumbbell hoarder, who had at least 4 different sets of dumbbells around his little bench and was using them all, no work ins. Haven't seen him lately though but I only go to that gym on Friday's now. Did have at another location the female grunter. Rare form indeed, working legs over at the squat rack.

Still amazes me how shaky the floor is when weights are set down at the one location. Feels like it wouldn't survive an earthquake but guess since it's still standing the feeling and actual results aren't the same.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    i was that girl in the gym . . . who let someone new finish a set and then asked if they'd mind a little feedback.

i'm trying not to be all gropey and weird and make someone else's next set sound like it's all about her, but, you know. this was our new person in friday club, who's concentrating so hard on all the small parts of overhead press her eyes cross. just from her face, i could see she was tryign to figure out what was wrong with the eccentric part of her press, and what she could do about it.

so i'm very happy because *brag* i nailed it. and once i explained what i was noticing, it was one of those 100%-fix things for her.
    she was putting her head 'through' beautifully on the lockout, but not reversing that for the way down. the bar was going around her face and ending up four inches in front of where she wanted it for the next rep.

just want to shout out again for mr t space. because he picks his people so carefully and he's so up-front about what kind of space he's got and what goes on in his space, things like this happen. he's nominally the 'trainer', but all of us look out for each other this way.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Nice. I don't mind if someone offers advice but it really depends on how they make the approach. Some just come off poorly. A nice approach and I'm more than happy to listen, plus it's just nice to talk to someone since it rarely happens.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Had a couple of interesting ones though always forget to post about them by the time I get home to my laptop.

Yesterday was the guy doing bench with decent amount of weight who had another guy come up to him and talk about his build. Ahh the interesting talk of how much to eat and protein. Then, when he was done he didn't unrack the weights. There was also a guy doing unsteady bench press that was a little lopsided. He did flat, then I got the bench when he was done which wasn't very many sets. Then he went to decline followed by incline. All a bit lopsided so it almost made you wonder if just maybe one arm is a little shorter than the other. He left the weights on the incline and I watched him walk away as I was eyeing that next and both left there stuff around the same time on the benches. Suddenly, he turns around, goes back and takes off the weights from the bar. Like he read my mind.

Also, there was a woman in the changing room when I got there, dying her roots... topless. Cause you don't want to get hair dye on a shirt or bra, so yeah, public place, no top, good time to color ones hair. Interesting approach at least.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I'm always baffled by what people find appropriate to do at the gym locker room.

One gym I went to had a hot tub, and found one woman in there shaving her legs.....

Like...ewww!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Yikes. Now that is a bit much.

Today had a guy jumping around on the little "field" area near the racks. He would hops some then hop up on the softer blocks/steps that were stacked one on to of the other, do a twist hop down, then handstand walk. He was having fun.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    The handstand walk is impressive. I took gymnastics as a kid and our pre-show/competition nervous energy went into handstand contests and handstand walking contests. It's not easy! My wrists won't support handstands anymore, but I never lost the fun of being upside down :)
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    hehehe

Think that was an episode of Supernatural. A cat was in a locker and one of them screamed like a little girl.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    hehehe

Think that was an episode of Supernatural. A cat was in a locker and one of them screamed like a little girl.

Funniest SPN moment to date!
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Oh dear, yesterday I actually saw a girl in the gym pull a roll of cellophane wrap and lotion out of her bag and start to wrap her midsection.

I just wanted to shake some sense into her...meaningless torture...
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    hehehe

Funniest SPN moment to date!

the only things i know about supernatural are from me playing a mafia game that was themed around it. nothing was said about cats :tongue: the missing impala came into it though, along with various witches and demons and stuff.

man, what a brutal game. i was about the only non-rabid-fan player who had no idea and not too much interest. i know people who are still ticked to this day that i got the 'character' dean, and didn't fully appreciate it.

the bad guys shot me on i-believe the third or fourth night.