so there was this guy in the gym . . .

Options

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i like this kid. little manic at the start of his clip but he started to grow on me after a while. and his number 8 is dead on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QcSoENByxY
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Tonight I authoritatitively told my husband that to calculate his one rep max he should multiply his working weight by the number of reps in his set.

And he believed me for about 3 seconds.

• Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    More! Lol, just reached the end of reading this thread.

• ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have to join this. I've seen some crazy stuff already but by far the funniest was the guy that got on the treadmill in flip flops on Tuesday. LOL He took them off shortly after and was running barefoot. Must have been some spur of the moment stop in. I think he was lifting first which I could see shoes aren't as big a deal but running? haha

And I say that after walking the beach barefoot both Saturday and Sunday. lol
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Today as I was on the crosstrainer, there was a chap walking on a treadmill close by. He had one of those hairstyles that was longer on top, with shaved detail around the sides and back.

Now, I've seen some really intricate designs cut in to the shaved bit before, but nothing like this one that said.......

" I <3 BINGO"

I just hope it was the result of a drunken stag do and that he has sufficient time for it to grow before the wedding!!
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    kimiuzzell wrote: »
    I just hope it was the result of a drunken stag do and that he has sufficient time for it to grow before the wedding!!

i would be tempted to marry that guy. theoretically :tongue:

obnoxious old fart on saturday, accosted me from his seat on the rowing station as i walked by to compliment me on how 'strong' i was . . . and then proceeded to question me for my age and then start a ranting disquisitional prescription about some homeopathic 'cure' for wrinkles. i cut him off and moved on, but if i'm going to be honest i'm still kind of pissed off about it. i've gotten to where any time someone compliments me in the gym i kind of flinch and brace because i'm just waiting for the actually-derogatory second shoe to drop.

if people gonna be intrusive or insulting at me, i would so prefer them not to kick it off by blowing stars up my butt.

• annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I have to join this. I've seen some crazy stuff already but by far the funniest was the guy that got on the treadmill in flip flops on Tuesday. LOL He took them off shortly after and was running barefoot. Must have been some spur of the moment stop in. I think he was lifting first which I could see shoes aren't as big a deal but running? haha

And I say that after walking the beach barefoot both Saturday and Sunday. lol

At the company gym at the previous place I worked, a guy ran barefoot on the treadmill almost every day. I think some people believe its better for your feet. Still......it made me cringe..
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Had a guy start to get set up on the squat rack when I had to step away for the bathroom (had been getting ready for warm up so hadn't put any weights on the bar). However, he was really nice about it. Since I'm short and such, he didn't want to share the rack. Not many do cause moving plates is one thing but changing the bar height every time hinders such. Instead, he moved over to the smith machine and let me have the rack. Very nice of him.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Nice response from your daughter.

Few guys at the gym last night even though it was midnight. A trio were working out together and when I first entered the gym, all three of them were doing bicep curls with the fixed weight bars while watching in the mirror (for form of course). They spent the time I saw them doing curls with those, dumbbells, a little cable work and some random arm lifts while chatting. When lifting, a couple of them had to make noise cause I guess the curls were strenuous for them.

Other guy was better. He did a super heavy bench too, had one of the trio spot him. He lasted longer than the others so we chatted a little during the last bit of my workout.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is the time of day I go (6am when it opens) but I have never had a bad experience with males at my gym. They are super friendly and helpful, and we joke around a lot. We have races to the squat racks and have spotted me when I asked for it.

That being said, it's the same six guys in the morning and we have become a little group.

I don't know how I would handle a man being condescending to me while I lifted. I want to think I'd tell him to go play in traffic but in the moment, maybe not.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Lately there has been this guy at my gym (who just started coming so I don't know him well) but I have noticed that he is doing Stronglifts as well. I'm thinking 'cool! A brother in arms!'

But then he starts barging in on other peoples sets on the racks and the bench, without even asking and he starts benching in the squat rack and squatting by the benches and I'm just like 'really????'

But other than him, the other guys at my gym are super cool!!
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I always read this thread and laugh so hard. Some people...I usually never have any issues at my gym but on Saturday was a doozy.

One guy was actually curling in the squat rack. I always thought the whole "don't curl in the squat rack" was a joke because nobody would be silly enough to do that, guess I was wrong!

Then there were two guys wearing flip flops. Something about people wearing flip flops at the gym grosses me out, it also seems a little unsafe to me.
  • canadianlbs
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Kimo159 wrote: »
    Then there were two guys wearing flip flops. Something about people wearing flip flops at the gym grosses me out, it also seems a little unsafe to me.

i saw a woman on sunday wearing shiny black-strappy flipflops with rhinestones on them. and stap me if there might not have been a big rosette at the base of the big toe as well.

not that i want to imply she was lifting. she wasn't, she was just traipsing along at the side of her man sort of window-shopping for different lifts that perhaps he should do. you may think i'm making that up, but i was intrigued by them both so i kept them under surveillance, and leisurely window shoppers was exactly the vibe they both had. it was like they'd just finished dining on restaurant row and were doing that post-dinner consumer dawdle, you know?

they weren't getting in my own personal way so i felt free to just enjoy them for whatever it is that they were.

• klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options

It's funny, because I never thought about grossness, but guys who deadlift barefoot - I just cringe...and the other day it was so hot out that I wore my flip flops to the gym, but put my chucks on before entering the weight room. It's not like that layer of canvas is going to protect my foot at all, but I can't get past that mental barrier of picturing a weight falling on my foot.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Twice in two days two different dudes have taken the only 45s left in my area without asking me if I'm going to be using them. Sorry no long story associated, but I'm annoyed. :|
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    klrenn wrote: »
    See...no assumptions...no condescension...that's how you offer help.

i agree. and there was a nice guy i collaborated with on efficient use of the squat rack (i shared for a few sets, then just let him have it while i jumped onto the bench). when he was done and i was coming back in to finish, he just gestured at his plates and said 'would you like me to unload them or leave them for you?' none of that smirking, no assumptions, just plain old good manners, you know?

i want to ring some kind of anti-lunk bell every time someone else in the gym behaves like a normal human. it's so reaffirming to my faith in this world.

• Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    klrenn wrote: »

It's funny, because I never thought about grossness, but guys who deadlift barefoot - I just cringe...and the other day it was so hot out that I wore my flip flops to the gym, but put my chucks on before entering the weight room. It's not like that layer of canvas is going to protect my foot at all, but I can't get past that mental barrier of picturing a weight falling on my foot.

Ew, barefoot in the gym! No no no no no!! I can understand deadlifting in socks. Sometimes I'll do that when I'm testing a PR. But never barefoot.

I think the safety factor is probably engrained in my head because I work in an industrial site (an office job though) and we aren't allowed to wear open toe shoes as it's a safety concern. So when I see it in the gym I'm always thinking "Noooooooo". But you're so right! As if that little layer of canvas is going to protect you if you drop a weight on your toe! For the record, I always wear flip flops on the way to the gym and then change into my nikes while I'm there.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    disappointed and trying not to be surly with the 'gym' at the new job. won't be lifting there, i don't think. kind of place that has ONE BARBELL and thinks the smith machine is the same as a rack. plus, it's not free. it's cheap, but it certainly should be, with ONE BARBELL and NO RACK . . . and 'towel service' that includes 'yup, you can't actually keep anything in these lockers of ours overnight.' so what's the point of that then, exactly?

you know what really made me mad? i was very very polite and civilized, no sneering or anything. but when she said 'you can do everything you need to right here' after telling me they had NO RACK, i did point out that that would be 'everything' except for back squats. know what she said? go on, guess. 'oh, there's lots of stuff you can do instead of squatting, there's no real need for a person to squat'.

i mean, i don't care what they have and don't have. it's their space and their dime in a democratic country; they can have any damned thing that they please. but the pushy breezy dismissive sales pitch THAT I DIDN'T ASK FOR really got up my nose. just say yes no and admit you're 'a lifestyle gym' and then leave me alone if i'm not showing interest in you.

bleh. i did the ride and that will have to keep my hamstrings satisfied until i get these new routines sorted out. they do sell cheap protein bars though. i'll give them that much.