so there was this guy in the gym . . .

Options

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Fittreelol wrote: »
    They should always be in line with the toes.

this is the take-home for me. i would still have liked to see tutu guy though.

@Vetticus_3, we demand to see these deltoids of yours. the misc chat thread had a whole string of biceps selfies that was one of the coolest things ever. i think we should do that again.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    today's trainer day had a conversation in it, where we all agreed that they should be called barfies, not burpees.

not that i'm planning on doing any. not me.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    we also had this fun thing where all three of us were deadlifting, and a discussion started about whether you brace before you go near the bar, or after you've taken your grip. trainer guy demonstrates the whole pre-bracing thing as done by the Guys Who Do It, and the skinny finnish massage therapist decided he's gonna do this.

so we get him - he's about six and a half feet tall and shaped like a pencil - doing this wonderful slo-mo godzilla routine. like bad animatronics, complete with faces. Arms Up To Sky. Scary HUHN Noise. Scary HUNH Face. Arms Down. Left Hand To Bar. Right Hand To Bar. Huge Megatron Breath. Giggles. Restart.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    ^^^ a pencil with a big nose.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    Options
    ^^^ a pencil with a big nose.

Lol! Maybe all those facial exercises he's doing will even things out!
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    My gym has 2 main weights areas, one upstairs and one downstairs. The downstairs one, where I was yesterday, has 2 squat racks with a bar in each. It also has a frame with pull up bars, olympic rings, a TRX, dip bars, and a bar mounted on each side (no safeties). I tend to only use the squat rack for squats, and use one of the other bars otherwise. Yesterday when I arrived, both squat racks were free, so I thought I'd get my squats out the way first. Was doing front squats when a guy came over and asked how many sets I had left (by this time the other squat rack was taken). I said just one so he waited to take over. Fine, I went over to the frame to use one of the other bars for deadlifts. Then I noticed the guy load up the bar then take it out of the rack and do lunges. He then supersetted with kettlebells and BOSU. This went on for a while. By the time I was finished my deadlifts he still hadn't started squatting. He did squat eventually, but I don't understand why he didn't just do his lunges with one of the other bars until a squat rack was free for his squats.

No big deal really, just weird I thought. I also find it annoying when people use all the bumper plates for squats (there are regular plates available), leaving none for deadlifts where they are actually required, but that's another story.
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Today I was that guy in the gym.

I was doing swings with a 16kg kettlebell. I usually use a 12, but recently found I can do fine with the 16, so all was going well.

What I hadn't tried before was one handed swings. I started, did three swings, and then.... my grip just wasn't strong enough, and the kettlebell flew out of my hands and about six feet across the gym. I could have killed someone!.I mean, it's half funny and half horrifying! I wouldn't swing if someone was on the floor near me, but someone could have just been walking past and have this cannonball thump into them. I shall be more careful about where I aim... and stick to two hands for the bigger kettlebell!

• canadianlbs
    Options
    Ariadnula wrote: »

i've always been afraid i'll do that. sometimes i only remember to worry about it when i'm in mid-swing. good thing that no-one got hurt, but tbh i also do my best not to place myself in the direct line of fire when there's kettlebells going on.

• fanncy0626
    Options
    Ariadnula wrote: »
    What I hadn't tried before was one handed swings. I started, did three swings, and then.... my grip just wasn't strong enough, and the kettlebell flew out of my hands and about six feet across the gym.

Wow! You are really lucky! Also make sure you don't put any hand lotion on! If mine slipped I would go right through my TV!
  • canadianlbs
    edited January 2016
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    If mine slipped I would go right through my TV!

hah. every so often i pick up a kettlebell, and if the gym is crowded my thoughts go like this: "not there - that's a person. uh oh, not there . . . that's a $60k chunk of plate glass. hmm. guess it wouldn't be too bad if it flew into the smith . . . ?"

and then i just put the thing down.

• kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    hah. every so often i pick up a kettlebell,

That counts as a deadlift then, surely :wink:
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    kimiuzzell wrote: »
    hah. every so often i pick up a kettlebell,

That counts as a deadlift then, surely :wink:

LOL! lousy form . . . i use them for farmer's carries though.

today there was a guy on one of the cable pillars while i was doing neg chins. i happened to glance over and he was trimming a fingernail with his teeth. idk if just that would have bothered me - but then he SPAT. spat his fingernail fragment onto the floor, checked the nail and went back to his work.

didn't say anything but i was up there going 'oh no you didn't'. he did.

• canadianlbs
    edited February 2016
    Options
    i kind of goofed in tonight's lift club bench. scared a few people, i think.

trainer dude has very simple stands with those adjustable supports you slide up and down to get different heights. i always struggle a touch with the two-hole setting as it's a micron too high for me and i lose my back tightness a bit. but i'm all 'me do! off hands!' about taking liftoffs.

so he set it one hole lower instead to have me try that. this brings the top of the support lower too, of course, so he warned me to make sure i didn't overshoot and miss the support completely when i went to re-rack. 'sure,' says me. and i get in there and bench it like beckham.

and then i go to re-rack and i overshoot on the right. mr t like to teh died. he was watching my bar path from the left, so he threw himself at me and caught that end. but then he's pinned because he can't get around behind the bench. and i'm pinned because i've got the other end way back behind my head where i can hold it like that but i can't leverage anything. and luckily it never occurred to me to drop it as my head might still have been in the way.

finally mr squats threw himself across the room and saved both of us. he had to put down his deadlift bar first :D very dramatic and kind of a communal heart attack for everyone else. death-by-oops-sorry for me. but now that i'm thinking back on it, i feel like it's kind of a testament to my strength too. i had most of 65 pounds hanging in the air at the full stretch of one shoulder for a handful of seconds, and absolutely no harm was done. we just raised it back up to two holes and i did my work sets with another 8 pounds.
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    OMG that sounds terrifying! Good on you for getting back on and doing another set I don't think I would have wanted to. Glad that you weren't injured.
  • canadianlbs
    edited February 2016
    Options
    christch wrote: »
    OMG that sounds terrifying! Good on you for getting back on and doing another set I don't think I would have wanted to. Glad that you weren't injured.

i really think it scared them more than me. the problem is i only bench every other week on trainer turf, and i'm so used to the full benches with the much taller posts where i usually lift. i have this entire muscle habit of just shoving the bar backwards once i've locked the last rep and letting it crash into the posts before i let it onto the pins. i'm proud of how healthy my shoulders must be these days, if the right one could take a sudden wrench like that and know how to protect itself. really, as soon as we put the posts higher again, there was nothing to be worried about anymore.

if i really scared mr t, he can make me bench in his full rack from now on. i'm not sure what they all think of me, tbh.

• fanncy0626
    Options
    canadianlbs- I'm glad you muscled through it!
  • canadianlbs
    edited February 2016
    Options
    i had a nice conversation on sunday with a middle-aged iranian man and his young-young daughter, because i left my dl bar for a few minutes and when i got back they were standing near it. said he'd brought her in just to show her around in case she might be interested. we had a nice little exchange about iranian power-lifters, and then i talked to his daughter a little bit too.

she was terribly shy and overwhelmed though, so i didn't try to sell anything. just told her i knew how she felt, and then about how i was scared to even walk past the weight room at first because it all seemed so scary and strange.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Nice Canadianlbs, sounds encouraging.

I had 2 guys that were in the dry sauna the last time I went to the big gym, Sunday night. It was pretty late and the first time others had really been in the sauna at the same time. They were also just in regular clothes despite signs saying swimsuits required. I sat to the side and they just talked away with each other, which was amusing.

Part of the time they talked about cars and a girl the one was seeing. Then they talked about stuff like one guy saying he found a perfect Valentine's gift for the other guy (not the girl he was seeing). Nothing like a little bromance in the sauna, hehehe.

Actually, they talked to me some at the end. Apologized if they were making me uncomfortable, which wasn't really an issue. Then they said how sometimes if there are a lot of people in the sauna they will act all buddy buddy up and it makes people leave. I didn't tell them that I write m/m romance and erotica, though that would have been amusing to mention.

Amusing time and turns out they'd seen the guy that uses the squat rack to stretch as he also uses dry sauna. The guy also wears the same shirt every time that is holey and looking like it might fall apart one of these days. He wasn't there that time, but he has used the sauna at the end of one of the times that I've used it, so know he goes in sometimes when not stretching in squat rack or doing whatever he does in the spin room that requires removing the shirt for when he leaves that room. Interesting guy....
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Couple of young bros expressed disappointment that I had a whole 2 sets of squats left. About 5 minutes later I gave them the rack and went to do my deadlifts elsewhere. Watched as one of them didn't use the clips but held the plates on the bar as he squatted. Not sure what that was all about.
  • Vetticus_3
    Vetticus_3 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    What is the holding plates when squatting about?
    I saw two guys do it last Friday, and today another guy was doing it.

They seem to put the bar ontop of their shoulders, whereas I don't... still, it looks epic.