Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Oh the curl bros. Though, I guess it was good that they weren't using the squat racks, just the deadlift area instead. When the one first went over (it was a set of two guys) and picked up the 135 to do a quick bicep curl, it was a tad impressive but also was like "ah, curl just for fun." Soon discovered, nope, that was all they wanted to do over there, curl with different amounts of weights, some of which were too heavy and their form suffered. They didn't take forever at least. Plus, after doing leg press I just asked how long they would be, which ended up being one more set, so I did standing calf stuff until they were done. Other good point, unlike some who lift there, they didn't just drop the weights when done because there was padding on the floor or anything, even when it was a little heavy for them.

Still kinda funny to have them all the way over in the "lower body" section, using that one spot to do bicep curls.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    heh. there was a guy with a super-annoying haircut who took over the rack from me yesterday, and spent an hour and a half hogging it for his upper-body stuff. i think he might have been the sad loser with sidekick i wrote at great length about back on valentine's day. every inch of him seemed expressly designed to extract maximum sneer from every inch of me. two-tone grey-and-red stoopid rubber toesie-foot 'shoes'. below-knee khaki cargo shorts all slung about with wallet chains. on top of that, STRING TANK TOP. offensive 600-dollar bono-style glasses, only i think the tint on the lenses was lavender. and the haircut, *kitten* me. the haircut was like a mohawk/mullet, and the mohawky/mulletty part was in curls. what's more, they were not natural curls. they were Product curls. gahh.

it's like there was a scrolling banner along the base of my brain the whole time he was part of my life. wankerwankerwankerwankerwankerwankerwankerwankerwankerwankerwankerwankerwankerwanker
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options

it's like there was a scrolling banner along the base of my brain the whole time he was part of my life. wankerwankerwankerwankerwankerwankerwankerwankerwankerwankerwankerwankerwankerwanker

ROFL
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Today there was ... no guy in the gym. I had it all to myself, for 20 mins or so. Christmas? Too much rain? I don't know the reason, but it was great - I was mildly annoyed when someone else turned up!

xg0xkkwhzfw4.jpeg
  • dapunks
    dapunks Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Ariadnula wrote: »
    Today there was ... no guy in the gym. I had it all to myself, for 20 mins or so. Christmas? Too much rain? I don't know the reason, but it was great - I was mildly annoyed when someone else turned up!

xg0xkkwhzfw4.jpeg

Love the ceiling!
  • Ariadnula
    Options
    Yeah, it's in a lovely old building - part of a Victorian swimming pool. The floor work area (through the doorway at the back there) used to be a 'turkish' bath room and has a fantastically ornate ceiling. Good to stare at while doing sit ups :smile:
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    One of my friends posted this on FB today. I lol'd when the scene mirrored the experiences on this thread! Can't wait to show DH. His "elder experience" still makes my laugh ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1GUQVo1Lps
  • canadianlbs
    edited January 2016
    Options
    ar9179 wrote: »
    One of my friends posted this on FB today.

i like buff dudes. watch them for fun sometimes.

the resolutioners are in at my gym. it's amazing what a sudden diversity of moves shows up in january - and also the couples thing. i'd forgotten all about them.

anyway, yesterday was a 'different moves' dude i could never have thought up for myself. he was half scrawny little trucker/biker type, half 'i was a buddhist in nepal of 20 years'. you expected to see rope sandals and widely-separated toes when you looked down. he was doing one-armed stuff with dumbbells in the stretch zone. kind of a one-legged dumbbell clean and press. which is fine, i guess, if he was into that. except that he was doing it on ONE LEG. and with every rep the free hand was kind of doing all this balinese-temple-dance stuff across his body in the vertical plain. undulations and circlings and tai-chi-ish things. he'd, like, initiate, squat down slowly, and the free hand would be out at his shoulder and then as he was coming back up he'd do all this wristy-twisty 'see the fishies swimming/birdies flying past' thing across his body to the opposite shoulder while the dumbbell went up. lock out, reset, and repeat.

when i went to change my shoes back, he was lying face up on a bench, fly-ing with his right hand and waving his left foot in the air. then after he finishedevery rep he'd keep his upper body flat on the bench and from t he waste down do this cycle of yoga-hip-circle type stuff. it was the same move you see some people doing with their hips from the plough position but he was just lying there flinging his legs in all the directions at once.

i was fascinated, but also kind of terrified for his mid-spine. it was like martial arts for couch potatoes or something.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    The other day a guy was lying on the bench doing leg lifts, but his knees were bent at a 90 and his range of motion was very short. A little down, then a little toward his chest. He was working HARD judging by his vocal exertions. Maybe start on the mat?
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    boy-girl couple in the gym of the type i hate watching. he was some big beefy athlete but didn't know much about form. she was at least 6 feet tall and reed thin, and he was teaching her first-time-ever [by the looks of it] deadlifts with 25's on the bar. it was barely above her ankles, and he didn't do a thing about helping her to set her back right. it scared me.

also, some young gun who looked to me like he was livin' pretty free on the other side of his pants. he was deadlifting too, and every time he locked out a rep i would flinch. idek what happens to guys when they get it caught in a door, but i kept feeling as if i was going to find out.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    There was a guy in the cardio room, while I was warming up on the elliptical. He was on the treadmill closest to the mirror - now normally most people shy well away from that treadmill as it really is VERY close tothe mirror, but with a fairly empty gym, he CHOSE to use that piece of kit. Fair enough.

Then as he was running, he started doing some sort of facial yoga. Rather like the stretches that we used to be told to do to avoid wrinkles, or like a bloke does when he is stretching his skin to have a shave. He had a proper routine going with it too, not just some random facial movements.

Problem was, that because he was facing this darned mirror, I couldn't help but see his reflection. Had he been on any of the other treadmills, I probably wouldn't have noticed his reflection and become so obsessed with it while I was on the elliptical!!!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    As I've read through this ENTIRE thread, I've been thinking I'm so lucky that I don't have these people at my gym... Until last night. Ugh.

I had a group of four, two males, two females, early 20's? They were standing around the leg press, talking so loud I could hear them over my headphones. I never actually saw them lift a weight. By the time I left, they had been standing around for about 40 minutes, talking and laughing.

Gym selfie girl - walked in with her, I assume, boyfriend. Takes a selfie of herself "at the gym," and then never does a workout.

Drop the weights young guy - again I could hear him over my headphones. He was behind me and I couldn't see exactly what he was doing, but I knew when he was done with each set... >:)

All these lovely people hit the gym about the same time. I was so glad I had already completed my weights and was just on the treadmill.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Tuesday night... 4 girls hanging around the change room, b*tching about how packed the gym is and "where did all these people come from all of a sudden??". And I'm just thinking, I come here 5 days a week and I've never seen you here before in my life!!!
  • Ariadnula
    Options
    Two new young guys came in tonight, took over a rack ... and started to stretch.

Another guy came over and asked if they were using the rack?

"Yes," they said, and carried on stretching.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    i like this a whole lot. 'no sex groans!'
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    i like this a whole lot. 'no sex groans!'

haha, I enjoyed that!
  • Ariadnula
    Options
    Me too!
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    ar9179 wrote: »
    One of my friends posted this on FB today. I lol'd when the scene mirrored the experiences on this thread! Can't wait to show DH. His "elder experience" still makes my laugh ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1GUQVo1Lps

Awesome. My favorite part: "With no intention of mating, or engaging in conflict with another male, one has to wonder what the f- he's actually there for."
  • canadianlbs
    edited January 2016
    Options
    i am just made of fail today . . . inadvertent put-down of mr squat during trainer day.

trainer: so, you did . . .
    squats: eight.
    trainer: whoa. okay . . . . well, that's impressive.
    squats: oh. uh. *checks board* oh, it was meant to be THREE SETS OF EIGHT! sheesh, me.
    trainer: what? you mean you did -
    squats: i did eight of three, yeah. yes, yes i did.
    mr michigan: you wouldn't be jewish, would you? script reads from left to right in here, dude.
    squats: i thought it was taking an awful long time.
    me: didn't notice that. but i was busy thinking, - well, i kept listening for those silences that come when someone starts on a set and they never seemed to happen.
    squats: oh thanks a lot. not only do i screw up my sets, now i'm hearing i talk too much too.
    me: i didn't mean 'too much'. just sayin', when my back's turned, i keep track of you by your voice. and this time i couldn't pick out your sets, guess they were too short to stand out.