November Chit Chat

Options
threnjen
threnjen Posts: 687 Member
Can we have a thread just for chit-chat? NO? TOO BAD, *kitten* :)

I always feel like I'm trying to get all chatty in the workout threads and then I feel like I'm doing it wrong.

How is everyone doing so far this month? I haven't done anything yet. Saturday the 1st was supposed to be yoga with my bestie (her thing... not mine...) but I was tired from Halloween and I stayed in bed instead while my kids watched a movie bahaha.
Then yesterday I came down with something :( So I spent the day while my kids were in school, in bed. Hoping I will feel up to gyming it up by Wed.

I'm still having trouble with that spot in my groin area. Making me nervous to move up in weight on my squats.

Replies

• threnjen
    Options
    Also I hate when Daylight Savings Time ends. What an antiquated and weird tradition.

I just love it when my kids come flying into my room even earlier on a Sunday :(
  • danirosevoelkel
    danirosevoelkel Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Yay! I love being chatty! So far so good this month, came into it good and muddy from a Spartan Race. Sucks that I'm a little sore and might have to skip this weeks weight room, but when you can't lift your blow dryer due to burpee overload (not from failed obstacles, from being the old admin of a challenge group lol), I know I couldn't lift a bar. Oh well, it's all worth it. Had a great time, can't wait for the next one.

2m29nip.jpg

Halloween was great too. Took my little one's toilet papering for their first time, I know, I know, we are great parents lol. I had a sick kid on Saturday, but she came out of it just as quickly as she caught it.

Oh and my birthday is this weekend, and there's a race, a beer race hahahah.. I'm still on the fence about that one. I'd have to leave work way early and find a sitter. It's up in the air.

• symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    SO this is totally just a chit chat thing, but I am getting a date night with my husband on Saturday! Thank you MOM for watching our kiddos! You know you are in need when *he* is asking for some special time. Cant wait to find something new and cute to wear :-)
  • danirosevoelkel
    Options
    symba1130 wrote: »
    SO this is totally just a chit chat thing, but I am getting a date night with my husband on Saturday! Thank you MOM for watching our kiddos! You know you are in need when *he* is asking for some special time. Cant wait to find something new and cute to wear :-)

Aww love date nights with the hubby! Have a great time and we all know you'll be smokin' regardless of what you wear!
  • threnjen
    Options
    Symba date nights are the best!! We get so lucky and the kids go to my mom and dad's every other weekend. Everyone is jealous.

Voelkel what a cute picture of you :) Was that at your Spartan Race? Fun! I don't know what that means exactly but the picture is cute haha

Just to add to my laundry list of woes, my work is very handsy and I worked for 12 hours straight yesterday and today my right wrist is all jacked up. Like it hurts to sign my name it's so painful. My sickness went away as soon as it appeared (yay for sleeping a lot, beasted that bug!) and now I have an ouchie wrist. My PT is going to think I am TRYING to avoid lifting when I see her next =/
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Does anyone else have a hard time adjusting to daylight savings? I have been waking up too early every day and not getting enough sleep.

Date night is awesome! We try to take advantage of the fact that we don't have kids yet and do it every Friday night.

On the workout front, I had a free PT session over the weekend because I was the only one that showed up to a scheduled group exercise class so I worked on my lifts with the PT. I think it really helped my deadlift form and it is good to know that I am not messing up form too badly for any of the lifts. Plus he had me try some heavier weights than what I've been doing myself just to see what I could do. I did 2x4 70lb bench and a 1x5120lb deadlift :) Not too shabby I think after 4 weeks of lifting while still losing a good amount of weight.
  • danirosevoelkel
    edited November 2014
    Options
    threnjen wrote: »
    Voelkel what a cute picture of you :) Was that at your Spartan Race? Fun! I don't know what that means exactly but the picture is cute haha

Spartan Race is an obstacle course mud run. Fun and challenging. Thank you!
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    People at work were talking about how nice it was to get to sleep an extra hour, and I am all LOLZ just means the clock says it is earlier when they get up... I hate hate hate the time change. It screws the kids up, it screws me up and it screws up work (flow computers do not like time change either). OK I am done with that.

Any body here ever do a lot of public speaking? I have been tasked with submitting an abstract to an industry function, which, if accepted, would mean giving a 50 minute presentation and I am tempted to just bomb the abstract so they won't look twice at it.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Also hate the time change. Not so much because of the morning, but because it's now dark by 5 PM. Makes me grumpy.

And I posted this in another thread since we got in to "gym creepers" territory, but thought I'd throw it up here too, because I think it's funny:

From WikiHow - "How to Avoid Being Chatted Up at the Gym":

Get the “eye of the tiger” during your workout. If you are bored and looking around the room, the gym talkers will smell your boredom like a group of vampires at a blood bank. Even if you are bored out of your mind, cultivate that look of extreme focus that people won’t want to mess with or most importantly drum up a conversation.

- Don’t smile. This will make you look approachable and open opportunities for gym talkers to approach and talk to you.
    - Never make eye contact with anyone. If you act like you are super focused on your workout, you won’t be looking into anyone else’s eyes. Make eye contact with the wrong person and you could be trapped in conversation.
    - Allow for the occasional grunt. No one really wants to talk to the person with the tennis scream or grunt so allow yourself to fully express that you feel the burn during your workout.

(I can't actually tell if the article is being serious, but I think it's hilarious.)

And one more:

b3a26e853602325e22596ff560ce50c3.jpg
  • nassaugyal
    nassaugyal Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes! chit-chat!
    So, I've been feeling blah the last couple of days. Feel like all of my workouts have sucked and that I'm losing all of the progress I've made. Not really sure why I feel this why, I've deloaded a bit to work on form but I'm at 105lbs squat which is my pr so I really have no reason to be down on myself. Maybe it's pms? I just feel like overall crap.
    Please, someone else tell me that they sometimes feel like this too!
  • threnjen
    Options
    I have had the mega blahs. They continue because I expected to go in today but instead I am waiting around for the mailman to come pick up my packages, they are just too important to put on the porch. I haven't lifted since last Friday, sigh.
    Hopefully just pms. 105lb squat sounds pretty freakin badass to me :P

LOL @ Eye of the Tiger list
  • symba1130
    Options
    nassaugyal wrote: »
    Yes! chit-chat!
    So, I've been feeling blah the last couple of days. Feel like all of my workouts have sucked and that I'm losing all of the progress I've made. Not really sure why I feel this why, I've deloaded a bit to work on form but I'm at 105lbs squat which is my pr so I really have no reason to be down on myself. Maybe it's pms? I just feel like overall crap.
    Please, someone else tell me that they sometimes feel like this too!

I had one of these days yesterday. Squats sucked, my head was not in the game.
    Sometimes I am able to suck it up and other days not so much.
    I had a HORRIBLE day Sunday, I was just grumpy and honestly felt bad for everyone around me.
    Not sure where you are located, but the time change and weather here are surely part of my problem :-(

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    so i just bought a bike off craigslist. haven't even dropped the old one off for its winter rebuild. which i still need to do today, anyway.

#manic.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I just needed to say how awesome my fiance is. He's been travelling a lot for work this last 2 months and it will be getting worse before it gets better, but he managed to come home early from work and surprise me with a great dinner and random flowers :smiley:
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    Yup. It's totally blah-town everywhere these days! Weather, time change (= it's dark at 5 PM), approaching holidays and the stress that comes with them, the "where the hell did 2014 go?!" blues.

Good news is we're all right there in it together, so if we start building a human ladder, we'll be out of the hole in no time!

Hang in there, Ladies!

xo,
    C.
  • danirosevoelkel
    Options
    Blink if you want me? ahahahahahahaha that's so funny!
  • nassaugyal
    nassaugyal Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Good for you llamapants86. It's so important to appreciate good things and good people while they're around!

I hope everyone else is doing well. I think I'm over the blahs, and trying to push negativity away. Sneaking out for a extended lunch break to get my lifts in. Fingers-crossed that no one notices!!!!
  • symba1130
    Options
    Short week for me! We have tomorrow off (Veteran's Day) as I work for a company that follows government holiday schedule. This means I get to spend an extra special day with my favorite kindergartner. On the Agenda...
    1.) Gym time as my usual schedule
    2.) Making a cake for work (this was a side job of mine before 2 kids took over, HA!)
    3.) Doc appt...yuck!
    4.) Craft time with kiddo, we are going to make a new bunting banner for Thanksgiving
    5.) And if time allows I will get at least 1 sewing project going.

AND....date night was AWESOME! I pre-funked with a glass of wine before we left for dinner and I am such a light weight hubby had to drive. He then offered for me to order another glass at dinner and opted not to drink so he drove home too! This doesn't happen often, but it sure was nice to relax and be silly together.
  • threnjen
    Options
    Symba you're so nice about your kid's day off. I'm like... NO SCHOOL, NOOOOOOOO

OK I had an epiphany today that is part common sense, part general knowledge but still managed to be an epiphany because I am a doofus.

So my workout today was super awesome and I felt so strong. And then I thought back to my workout two Fridays ago which was just about the worst I have ever had. Then I thought about why they were so different (couldn't even lift up my 75lb row two fridays ago due to a weak grip, and today they were easy). Came to some very OBVIOUS conclusions, and yet it was somehow news to me:
    a) I tend to eat more on the weekends, 1 or 2 days at maintenance, so
    b) my body has some glycogen stores for Monday (this is also the day of the week where I weigh the most in the morning), so
    c) my Monday workouts will always be the strongest.

This leads to the obvious result that, since I eat at a deficit all week, my Wed workout is usually just "OK" and my Friday workout depends VERY HEAVILY on my level of deficit through the week.
    So that example two Fridays ago where I was weaker than a newborn, that week in particular I ate at an OVERLY aggressive deficit on several days that week (I know... I know...)*. So by Friday my body was just depleted and it had nothing to give me for lifting.

So from this a major thing that I can learn is that my weight increases need to be implemented on Mondays and Wednesdays, and Friday should probably always be a weight repeat. While lifting in a deficit, of course. And I really have to manage my expectations AND fuel myself properly. An aggressive deficit is just not ok when lifting. If I can't comfortably repeat my weight on a Friday, that is an indication that I did not eat enough that week.

*(I'm having a problem lately forcing myself to eat enough because we have a big important vacation coming up in a few weeks and I am really obsessed with the idea of being as small as possible before we go :( )
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    @Threnjen -- I love it when we figure things out about our bodies and how they work, and then feel like, "Well, duh!" :)

Sounds like you have a good plan in place to test out your theory / epiphany. Let us know how it goes.