November Chit Chat

Options

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    This is a bit random but I'm already having dreams about lifting. This morning it involved a non-commercial gym location and me trying to learn to deadlift.

x.x

I may spend too much time thinking about lifting. Maybe...
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    I may spend too much time thinking about lifting. Maybe...

Is there such a thing? :)

• TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    So I just read this article about pre-, during, and post-workout supplementation, and am curious about what you all think --

"What You Don't Know about Workout Supplementation"

It sounds logical, but also kind of complicated and like a pain in the *kitten*. Do you think this is really something we need to be thinking about if we're beginners?

Thanks!
    C.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    pffft. i skimmed it and i saw nothing about gummi bears, so i'm calling broscience on it.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    crabada wrote: »
    So I just read this article about pre-, during, and post-workout supplementation, and am curious about what you all think --

"What You Don't Know about Workout Supplementation"

It sounds logical, but also kind of complicated and like a pain in the *kitten*. Do you think this is really something we need to be thinking about if we're beginners?

Thanks!
    C.

Sooounds like they're trying to sell some of their products on the website store, to be honest xD

Yes, nutrition like that WILL give you your optimal performance. BUT the difference with just getting a small preworkout meal, drinking mucho water and having a post workout shake (even if it's not within the 30 minutes following or whatever) really won't be that different. For the average Joe's and Jane's like us? Not worth the money and headache.
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    pffft. i skimmed it and i saw nothing about gummi bears, so i'm calling broscience on it.

Yum. Gummi bears.

There's a guy at my gym that keeps saying I should take stuff. I feel like he is going to try to sell me the bro equivalent of Herbalife any day now.
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Im Back!!! A week off and LOTS of delicious foods later. I was treated like a queen for a few days and had the most amazing seafood (bonus for working in the marine industry) and a steak that cut like butter. Oh...and all the desserts...oh my, burnt cream, bananas foster, you name it, I ate it. And, it was AMAZING!

I also celebrated my daughters 5th birthday. I am so lucky to be this kids mom! She drives me crazy, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

As an added bonus I am down 1lb, woohoo!
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    symba1130 wrote: »
    the most amazing seafood (bonus for working in the marine industry) and a steak that cut like butter. Oh...and all the desserts...oh my, burnt cream, bananas foster, you name it, I ate it.

it's just mean to list stuff like that to people who deadlift ;) i've forgotten - were you on a cruise?

there was no-one left in the building when i went to change for my ride home today, so i had the washroom all to myself. take my shirt off and stand around in front of the mirror for a minute or two . . . and then i realised it's possibly odd to be facing a wall-sized mirror under clear lighting with nothing on, and all you're checking out on yourself is your lats.

boobs? never saw 'm.

• DawnEmbers
    Options
    Yeah... that might appear odd to someone. ;)

Then again, I rarely even change at the gym. It's just not within my comfort level at this time.

As for random chit chat and updates. I haven't been very sore from lifting so far, i ache at times in my thighs and back but that's commonplace depending on my work shift and such. Today though, after the struggled OHP from yesterday, the upper part of my right arm is like "why do you hate me?" The left, "What's wrong? I don't feel a thing." The left is also a little larger than the right, at least that's how it looks from my perspective because I am right handed so doing things like lifting case of teas to get through passkey protected door, I tend to hold with right and get door open with left. After months of that, not quite symmetrical for now. Yet the right one aches more now. hmmm

Oh well. Cleaning to do and while I work Thanksgiving day, I get the day before and day after off. Plenty of time for gym and family.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    Decided not to go home for Thanksgiving and am relieved. I love my family, so that wasn't the issue. Just feel like I'll be more productive here.

With that said, I don't feel like I've accomplished much since vacation started on Saturday. The conference yesterday was an insanely long day, and I've spent most of today either in bed (sleeping in) or in the car picking up my dog from the dogsitter's house. Have another appointment at 4:30 PM, so feeling a little growly.

Thankfully my roommate is going to his mom's house for Thanksgiving, so I won't have to choose between hiding out in my room (and feeling rude) or finding someplace that's open where I could hang out all day. Yes, anti-social, but I'm a grown woman and I'm allowed.

If anyone knows where the re-set button is, can you let me know? I need it!

xo,
    C.
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    symba1130 wrote: »
    the most amazing seafood (bonus for working in the marine industry) and a steak that cut like butter. Oh...and all the desserts...oh my, burnt cream, bananas foster, you name it, I ate it.

it's just mean to list stuff like that to people who deadlift ;) i've forgotten - were you on a cruise?

@canadianlbs - annual trade show, Our company is Norwegian so about 5 gents from that region come to the states and they really like to shop and eat! We call it their pre-winter vacation :-) Although I have to say I reap the benefits!

@crabada - Enjoy Thanksgiving with your family! Sounds like a break is much deserved!

• katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Yes, anti-social, but I'm a grown woman and I'm allowed.

xo,
    C.

No shame in that! If my BFF didn't invite us over to her place tomorrow (her mother-in-law is doing all the cooking and is a fantastic cook), husband and I would be eating pizza in our pj's on the couch as we do pretty much every holiday lol. He hates his family and mine lives in Las Vegas so holidays are definitely anti-social days most years.

• LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving everybody! I'll be eating like a pig, but plan on going for a 7 mile hike in the morning.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving! I didn't totally blow it. And bonus, I should have a good day at the gym tomorrow after this nice feeding!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I ate all the foods. *burp*
  • SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I ate, and ate, and ate. And I felt great in my kickboxing class at 6:15 this morning! Already looking forward to next year...
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    I had a pretty good day+ overall. Night before was a barbecue restaurant where my main dish had over my daily requirements in soda, and that's before adding extra bbq sauce, lol. Then had a buffet turkey lunch with awesome food and little sample of desserts. Went to work where I stayed busy till my lunch break where I got to eat more thanksgiving stuff including a small slice of pecan pie that I made (and I liked it more than the restaurant's). Lots of food but I also walked around 13,000 steps, most of which at work.

Now back to tracking and think today we are going to have seafood. Family leaves tomorrow but after we're done today I'm going to the gym for my usual session as it's time to tackle Day B and deadlifts on my own.

Was a great ego boost though, this holiday. Between the coworkers comments on how my outfit looked yesterday and my family, hard not to smile. Last time I saw dad and grandparents was a year ago and I've lost over 30 lbs since then (24 of it was recent). So, they really noticed and are happy for me. Will be really fun in the later part of 2015 when I see family that hasn't seen me in a year or many years. hehehe
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    I'm envious of your meals and your workouts, peeps!

This rest week is doing me good -- adductor is nice and calm these days -- but I have definitely missed the gym.

And I didn't have any plans yesterday at all. I'd decided not to go to my parents' house, and turned down other invitations. I needed the solo time.

Around Noon, I decided that the $140 off the iPad 2 was a good enough reason to break my general rule of no Thanksgiving / Black Friday shopping. This is a gift I promised myself over a year ago if I ever had a paper published, and since that's happening next month, I figured I'd go ahead and get it while it was on "sale" (sale meaning you get $140 gift card with purchase, which is fine with me. I'm at Target all the time).

I was at Target by about 5:15 PM and spent the next 3.5 hours wishing I'd stayed home. It was such a cluster -- disorganized from the start, loads of people cutting in line, employees who weren't willing to fix it properly, slow as molasses progress through the aisles, broken registers, and some dipsh*t couple who wanted to buy five iPads. When they were told they could only get two each, they spent 15 minutes going back and forth about which one they should skip. (I finally just told them to give me the cash, I would hand it to the cashier for them, and they could be on their merry way. Cheating, yes, but come on! It was going to take another 30 minutes otherwise.) It also didn't help that I simply didn't think it would take so long (and really, it shouldn't have), so I hadn't eaten anything and was seriously hungry.

Once I got to the front of the line, I found out they literally had ONE of the exact model I wanted (iPad Air 2, Space Grey, 128GB), so I walked out happy.

Until I got about 5 minutes away and wondered why the box only said iPad Air. A call to the store, a U-turn, and a handful of questions later, I was told that Apple just didn't put "2" on the boxes, and that yes, I had purchased the right item.

So, I got what I wanted in the end. I also won an additional $50 gift card in the little party favors they handed out to people waiting in line, so all in all, I made out OK.

But Never. Never. Never! Again.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    This is a gift I promised myself over a year ago if I ever had a paper published,

what is this 'i published a paper la la la but anyway enough about that, lemme carry on about retail madness instead' from you here? did you think we wouldn't notice or something?

what a girl. climbs rocks, benches how-much-again?, publishes stuff . . . and haz all the ipadz :D

• TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You're going to make me blush. :blush:

And actually, I don't have all the iPads -- the lame *kitten* couple in front of me have the other five I wanted. (I mean, seriously!?)