General Q&A Thread

Options

Replies

• ElizabethMaryam
    ElizabethMaryam Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    90 grams right now. My split is 30/30/40. What do you think?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    90 grams right now. My split is 30/30/40. What do you think?

How much do you weigh and how much are you looking to lose?

• ElizabethMaryam
    Options
    I'm 153 right now. I was 183 in Mid March 2014. I would like to get down to 115/120 but if I had more muscle mass, I'm not concerned as much about the numbers; but it would be nice to get back into my size 2/4's. I gained about 70 lbs three years ago when my blood pressure skyrocketed for no reason. It went back to normal 1.5 years ago and I've had treadmill tests, etc to make sure I'm fine to do whatever. My bp last Wednesday was 100/64. My main goal is to be healthy, improve my stamina and feel great :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I'm 153 right now. I was 183 in Mid March 2014. I would like to get down to 115/120 but if I had more muscle mass, I'm not concerned as much about the numbers; but it would be nice to get back into my size 2/4's. I gained about 70 lbs three years ago when my blood pressure skyrocketed for no reason. It went back to normal 1.5 years ago and I've had treadmill tests, etc to make sure I'm fine to do whatever. My bp last Wednesday was 100/64. My main goal is to be healthy, improve my stamina and feel great :)

I would up protein a bit. I had a quick peak at your diary to see where you could take the calories from and your intake is pretty variable. This is not necessarily an an issue in itself, but it makes it hard to make a suggestion as to tweaking macros. I would try to get your intake a little more consistent so you can get at least 100g protein (a bit higher would probably be better). Also, people with thyroid issues tend to do better with lowish/moderate carbs - so try to keep those a little more consistent and to roughly 120 - 160g (depending on your intake levels and activity).

This is obviously a very high level suggestion without much data/information to go on, so please take the suggestions in that light.

I have a couple of links for vegan protein (as it sounds as if you have issues with animal based protein) that I will try to find and copy here when I do.
  • MattBrouse
    MattBrouse Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    When someone says they can press 225, does that mean they have two 25's on the bar?

#trollol
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    MattBrouse wrote: »
    When someone says they can press 225, does that mean they have two 25's on the bar?

#trollol

LMFAO
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    MattBrouse wrote: »

#trollol

Totes

• frannie078
    frannie078 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My knees cave in while deadlifting even at a very low weight. I don't have any issues squatting and keeping my knees out. Should I try sumo deadlifts?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    frannie078 wrote: »
    My knees cave in while deadlifting even at a very low weight. I don't have any issues squatting and keeping my knees out. Should I try sumo deadlifts?

Conventional deadlifts have a lot of play built into them. Try standing with your feet straight ahead and try turning your feet outwards to see if it makes any difference. Play with your foot positioning. I have seen people conventional deadlift with a stance wide enough to squat in (shoulder-width apart) and I have seen people deadlift with their heels almost touching each other. Play around with it, including sumo style if you want to give it a shot.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Short and dirty question. I tend to pull my trap (only the right one it seems) while trying to finish out reps on OHP and bent over rows. It's not every time, but occasionally it will happen. It gets twingy, and I can usually finish my reps without pain by the exercise, but turning my head hurts.

I kind of have a feeling that it's something with how I'm holding my head or tensing while trying to force the reps. Looking around online, some people have suggested similar problems are due to muscle imbalances.

Any ideas on cause and/or ways to possibly fix the problem. (Sorry, I have no way to record my form, but I find the form for both very difficult because there doesn't seem much to specifically do except keep legs and glutes tight and go for it.)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    frannie078 wrote: »

Can you post a video?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Short and dirty question. I tend to pull my trap (only the right one it seems) while trying to finish out reps on OHP and bent over rows. It's not every time, but occasionally it will happen. It gets twingy, and I can usually finish my reps without pain by the exercise, but turning my head hurts.

I kind of have a feeling that it's something with how I'm holding my head or tensing while trying to force the reps. Looking around online, some people have suggested similar problems are due to muscle imbalances.

Any ideas on cause and/or ways to possibly fix the problem. (Sorry, I have no way to record my form, but I find the form for both very difficult because there doesn't seem much to specifically do except keep legs and glutes tight and go for it.)

Does this happen with DB presses?
  • auddii
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

Does this happen with DB presses?

That's a good question. I don't do DB presses often, but I do believe it happened once with them as well.
  • SideSteel
    Options

I probably don't have an answer on this without seeing your form. I suppose it could be possible to over-extend at the top of the press. I'd be curious if the degree of scapular elevation at the top of the press could be causing problems.

Totally speculating.
  • auddii
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

I probably don't have an answer on this without seeing your form. I suppose it could be possible to over-extend at the top of the press. I'd be curious if the degree of scapular elevation at the top of the press could be causing problems.

Totally speculating.

Hm, maybe I'll just have to find a way to video and then post in the form check.

Another random question.

I followed stronglifts for over a year, then strong curves for a few months, and right now I'm in the middle of a glute challenge that Bret Contreras wrote. However, I'm finding myself missing the big lifts and the progression and am thinking about going back to SL or possibly an intermediate program.

I've read the intro to Wendler's 5/3/1, and he mentions that if you don't know where you are weak and what accessories to add to fix those problems, you shouldn't run the program. My question is, how do you learn this? I can look at my bench numbers and know they're low in comparison to my lower body (well, all my arm lifts in general). But how do you go from that knowledge to designing a well rounded program.

Essentially, how do you gain the knowledge to transition from a beginner program where you just do the program as is to learning enough to do/semi-design (picking appropriate accessories as a part of the program) an intermediate program?
  • ElizabethMaryam
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

I would up protein a bit. I had a quick peak at your diary to see where you could take the calories from and your intake is pretty variable. This is not necessarily an an issue in itself, but it makes it hard to make a suggestion as to tweaking macros. I would try to get your intake a little more consistent so you can get at least 100g protein (a bit higher would probably be better). Also, people with thyroid issues tend to do better with lowish/moderate carbs - so try to keep those a little more consistent and to roughly 120 - 160g (depending on your intake levels and activity).

This is obviously a very high level suggestion without much data/information to go on, so please take the suggestions in that light.

I have a couple of links for vegan protein (as it sounds as if you have issues with animal based protein) that I will try to find and copy here when I do.

Thanks :). Without getting into details the past few weeks have been awful and don't reflect how I was eating previously; but I had quite a number of family emergencies that I didn't cope well with, and ate a lot if comfort foods and basically tried to just survive. (I had even closed my account ... With my good info; but immediately regretted it because I knew I needed this site, and my friends here, to help me get healthy. So I came back but unfortunately had to open a new account, so my history is gone. And yesterday was like a day from h***; but it's a new day and I know I have to address emotional eating, as my stressors are not leaving any time soon ... lol. I do admit though that I physically and emotionally feel 300% better eating within my macros and calorie limit than I do when I just eat whatever and stay within or go over my calories.

I would be very interested in the vegan protein; but, due to my thyroid issues, I can't have soy protein .... So I'm not sure if there are good vegan options that do not use soy as their main source of protein.

With the macros you were suggesting for protein and carbs, it would mean that I would have to increase them both and lower my fat? Am I understanding correctly? My gram ratio for p/c/f is 90/90/53 ... with the percents as 30/30/40.

Thanks so much for your help.
  • ElizabethMaryam
    Options
    Btw, my bookmark for this post is not working. I tried turning it off and on again but MFP doesn't show it at being bookmarked, so if you respond and I don't comment for a while, it's just that I haven't had an opportunity to manually check this post. Thanks :)
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Another random question.

I followed stronglifts for over a year, then strong curves for a few months, and right now I'm in the middle of a glute challenge that Bret Contreras wrote. However, I'm finding myself missing the big lifts and the progression and am thinking about going back to SL or possibly an intermediate program.

I've read the intro to Wendler's 5/3/1, and he mentions that if you don't know where you are weak and what accessories to add to fix those problems, you shouldn't run the program. My question is, how do you learn this? I can look at my bench numbers and know they're low in comparison to my lower body (well, all my arm lifts in general). But how do you go from that knowledge to designing a well rounded program.

Essentially, how do you gain the knowledge to transition from a beginner program where you just do the program as is to learning enough to do/semi-design (picking appropriate accessories as a part of the program) an intermediate program?

Ok, so Sara\SS probably word this better than me..... Experience.. Sounds like a short, sharp answer but it is true in a way..... (You'll see by my post below I need to learn more as well!)

Take Bench - If weak on lockout, then Triceps work helps, If weak off the chest, then Paused work Helps. It's about finding YOUR weak section of the lift, and then working out which relevant muscle group requires more work to elevate that lift.

If you take Squats - My weakness was "out of the hole" Paused squats fixed that (Although I am now weaker mid-lift)

Going from a beginner to being able to design your own program\accessories, is about learning your body, your limits, and that will in turn, highlight your weakness. You then program the relevant assistance in accordingly.

Random question, if I may?

I keep getting weak spots in the mid part of lifts? Now on squats :( I can get out of the hole, but midway is where the work starts... I shall post a vid in form critique thread showing said issue.... Same issue on Bench - Off the chest, fine, Lockout fine, Midway is the weak point any idea's?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

Totally speculating.

Hm, maybe I'll just have to find a way to video and then post in the form check.

Another random question.

The first question would be whether or not you would benefit more by going on an intermediate program like 5/3/1 or with a more aggressive loading parameter like SL. And that's ultimately going to depend on whether or not you can still regularly progress on SL.

If you can't progress on SL then I'd consider looking at Madcow or Texas Method as an intermediate step between SL and 5/3/1.

Regarding your question though, I think you learn more about program design from reading about it. Assessing particular weaknesses can be tough and I struggle with this myself. My personal opinion is that in many circumstances, what looks like a muscular weakness can often be a technical issue.

So in other words when you watch a beginner deadlift and they don't fire the glutes under the bar (they lever the bar up with their spinal erectors) it's not necessarily a muscular weakness as much as it's them not knowing how to fire their glutes properly and this is often addressed by fixing the technique rather than strengthening the muscle.

Same thing with movement dysfunctions on a squat, in many cases.

Now this doesn't mean that I don't think weak areas should be brought up, it's just that it's really tricky to identify whether a physical weakness is causing movement issues or if movement issues are caused by not doing it right, and I think "not doing it right" causes most of it especially in beginners and probably in many intermediate lifters as well.