General Q&A Thread

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Without knowing my goals it may be difficult to answer, but, in general, would you consider the above "balanced"? I am still doing Strong lifts and am still progressing (very slowly), however I may like to switch it up in the near future. Thanks!

I have a few suggestions to tweak things but want to chat with SS first so I can bounce ideas off him.

One question first though - are deadlifts not included for a reason?
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Sara - DL on Tuesday for week A, DL on Thursday week B.
  • tanek747
    tanek747 Posts: 37 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    I'm 153 right now. I was 183 in Mid March 2014. I would like to get down to 115/120 but if I had more muscle mass, I'm not concerned as much about the numbers; but it would be nice to get back into my size 2/4's. I gained about 70 lbs three years ago when my blood pressure skyrocketed for no reason. It went back to normal 1.5 years ago and I've had treadmill tests, etc to make sure I'm fine to do whatever. My bp last Wednesday was 100/64. My main goal is to be healthy, improve my stamina and feel great :)

I would up protein a bit. I had a quick peak at your diary to see where you could take the calories from and your intake is pretty variable. This is not necessarily an an issue in itself, but it makes it hard to make a suggestion as to tweaking macros. I would try to get your intake a little more consistent so you can get at least 100g protein (a bit higher would probably be better). Also, people with thyroid issues tend to do better with lowish/moderate carbs - so try to keep those a little more consistent and to roughly 120 - 160g (depending on your intake levels and activity).

This is obviously a very high level suggestion without much data/information to go on, so please take the suggestions in that light.

I have a couple of links for vegan protein (as it sounds as if you have issues with animal based protein) that I will try to find and copy here when I do.

Thanks :). Without getting into details the past few weeks have been awful and don't reflect how I was eating previously; but I had quite a number of family emergencies that I didn't cope well with, and ate a lot if comfort foods and basically tried to just survive. (I had even closed my account ... With my good info; but immediately regretted it because I knew I needed this site, and my friends here, to help me get healthy. So I came back but unfortunately had to open a new account, so my history is gone. And yesterday was like a day from h***; but it's a new day and I know I have to address emotional eating, as my stressors are not leaving any time soon ... lol. I do admit though that I physically and emotionally feel 300% better eating within my macros and calorie limit than I do when I just eat whatever and stay within or go over my calories.

I would be very interested in the vegan protein; but, due to my thyroid issues, I can't have soy protein .... So I'm not sure if there are good vegan options that do not use soy as their main source of protein.

With the macros you were suggesting for protein and carbs, it would mean that I would have to increase them both and lower my fat? Am I understanding correctly? My gram ratio for p/c/f is 90/90/53 ... with the percents as 30/30/40.

Thanks so much for your help.

Can you have wheat gluten (seitan)?

There's alot of plant protein sources beyond soy you can look into incorporating. Including beans, chickpeas (e.g. hummus), quinoa, even broccoli mushrooms and spinach are all ways of adding more whole food protein that isn't animal for your thyroid issue.

Also for the powders there are ones based on rice and pea proteins etc. Maybe some of those help too.
  • livcurious
    livcurious Posts: 30 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Continuing the alternative protein powder questions - any vegan favorites (brands/flavors) that aren't too grainy?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Curious if you have the same strength on the DL's whether on Tue or Thu?
    Same with squats on Mon compared to Fri following DL day?
  • livcurious wrote: »
    Continuing the alternative protein powder questions - any vegan favorites (brands/flavors) that aren't too grainy?

I used About Time Ve Protein (example: http://www.amazon.com/SDC-Nutrition-Protein-Supplement-Vanilla/dp/B00CYQDL4K) and I didn't find it to be grainy. I am personally not vegan--I had purchased this one specifically because I thought it would compliment green smoothies better. I don't know that it was "better" for that purpose so I changed to another brand that was unflavored. But I wouldn't be opposed to using this one again. I liked it.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    What would you recommend I do if I always get hungry at night time?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    mzbek24 wrote: »

This is one of those things that likely has a pretty strong individual component to it, in that I probably can't give you a definitive answer especially without knowing a great deal about your eating habits and preferences.

But for starters, one thing that tends to work well with some people is to reduce calorie intake earlier in the day so that you have ample calories to work with in the evening. In SOME people this can make the problem worse because the late-day hunger can be caused by what you're eating prior to that.

So for example it's possible that eating fewer calories earlier will make your hunger worse, later.

But it's still one thing I would consider.

Another very big thing you may be able to do is evaluate your food selection. Are you eating enough fibrous foods (and by that I do not mean fiber supplements)? Are you eating predominantly whole foods and single ingredient items? Doing so generally allows you to eat greater food volume, and volume aside you will general achieve greater satiety with whole foods compared to heavily refined foods.

It could be your total calorie intake, it could be the macronutrient composition of your diet, both of which can also interact with satiety.

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    mzbek24 wrote: »

This is one of those things that likely has a pretty strong individual component to it, in that I probably can't give you a definitive answer especially without knowing a great deal about your eating habits and preferences.

But for starters, one thing that tends to work well with some people is to reduce calorie intake earlier in the day so that you have ample calories to work with in the evening. In SOME people this can make the problem worse because the late-day hunger can be caused by what you're eating prior to that.

So for example it's possible that eating fewer calories earlier will make your hunger worse, later.

But it's still one thing I would consider.

Another very big thing you may be able to do is evaluate your food selection. Are you eating enough fibrous foods (and by that I do not mean fiber supplements)? Are you eating predominantly whole foods and single ingredient items? Doing so generally allows you to eat greater food volume, and volume aside you will general achieve greater satiety with whole foods compared to heavily refined foods.

It could be your total calorie intake, it could be the macronutrient composition of your diet, both of which can also interact with satiety.

Yeah, all of this. Just one bit of personal experience in that vein, when cutting hard I budget enough calories for a protein shake a little before bed. I add psyllium husk to it for fiber. 1 scoop protein powder is all I need (I use trutein, a blend). It's enough to prevent me from:

1) Going to bed hungry (which is terrible)
    2) Waking up in the night hungry (super terrible)
    3) Waking up in the morning starving (ugh). When cutting I don't eat till lunch so this is especially rough.

The shake + fiber is under 150 calories so it's fairly easy to budget for too. Ends up being about 25g of protein and 10-15g of fiber and not much else.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    OK so I was doing stronglift for about a month then got tired and stopped, I didn't get tired of the plan but physically tired cause the only time I could get time on the racks was waking up at 4:30 in the morning. Every time I went in the evening they are packed and the wait is too long. So I've started doing other things but no real weights. I'm still losing weight but and I'm getting back into running but I still want to incorporate some sort of weights. I know people aren't a fan of cable machines, but if that's all I can access in the evening, I'm fine with that but I need a program to follow. Anyone know a good cable program? Or if not cable programs a good resistance band/kettle bell program I can do in the evenings? Thanks in advance
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Robbnva wrote: »
    OK so I was doing stronglift for about a month then got tired and stopped, I didn't get tired of the plan but physically tired cause the only time I could get time on the racks was waking up at 4:30 in the morning. Every time I went in the evening they are packed and the wait is too long. So I've started doing other things but no real weights. I'm still losing weight but and I'm getting back into running but I still want to incorporate some sort of weights. I know people aren't a fan of cable machines, but if that's all I can access in the evening, I'm fine with that but I need a program to follow. Anyone know a good cable program? Or if not cable programs a good resistance band/kettle bell program I can do in the evenings? Thanks in advance

I did a thread for when people did not have access to barbells. You can find it here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/902569/barbell-routines-when-you-only-have-dumbbells/p1

If you also have access to cables, it makes it more flexible to swap out. I would not do a SL type routine though as it does not really 'suit' that well. AllPro may be a better option (with the swap outs) - follow the progression and general layout.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I'll check it out. Thanks
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    For a person just starting to deadlift...I understand starting point is supposed to be mid sheen. Since I'm not up to 135# and don't have enough weights at home to stack (tried different objects but everything topples over after every lift). Mentioned this to a friend and her trainer started her off using the bottom peg of the outside a power cage. The height is a *little* above mid sheen. I've searched this option and found something similar called a "rack pull" but that is inside a cage. Is this a good substitute?

I’ll having this same issue with pendlay rows…
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,747 Member
    Options
    Never been a fan of pendlay rows. Way too much chance to have your form wrong and hurt your lower back. I stick to bent-over barbell rows, which are similar but safer IMHO.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    For stacking, in the past I used a 45 and 35 when using the 25's on the bar (for pendlay and deadlift before reached 135) and just eventually switched the 25 sand 35 with each other when was able to get to the point of needing the 35's on something (did it for deadlift but haven't gotten to 115 much on row as switched programs). Not sure if it's the exact needed height but it was sufficient for me. I use a 35 and a 10 right now for wide grip deadlift from box, which is part of stage 2 in NROLFW as I need a lighter weight for that kind even though I can now deadlift above 135 when doing conventional. Though it's a tad awkward of a setup getting it in right spot with the aerobic step added to the mix.
  • giusa
    edited April 2015
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Never been a fan of pendlay rows. Way too much chance to have your form wrong and hurt your lower back. I stick to bent-over barbell rows, which are similar but safer IMHO.

Thanks, food for thought, will keep this filed away for when I'm more advanced...

Edited to ask, what is the difference, knowledge is power right…don’t forget, you’re speaking to a noob!
  • giusa
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    For stacking, in the past I used a 45 and 35 when using the 25's on the bar (for pendlay and deadlift before reached 135) and just eventually switched the 25 sand 35 with each other when was able to get to the point of needing the 35's on something (did it for deadlift but haven't gotten to 115 much on row as switched programs). Not sure if it's the exact needed height but it was sufficient for me. I use a 35 and a 10 right now for wide grip deadlift from box, which is part of stage 2 in NROLFW as I need a lighter weight for that kind even though I can now deadlift above 135 when doing conventional. Though it's a tad awkward of a setup getting it in right spot with the aerobic step added to the mix.

Thanks Dawn, found the answer in Starting Strength book....
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    giusa wrote: »
    nossmf wrote: »

Thanks, food for thought, will keep this filed away for when I'm more advanced...

Edited to ask, what is the difference, knowledge is power right…don’t forget, you’re speaking to a noob!

Usually Pendlay's are more explosive and higher weight, since you are coming off the floor and returning to the floor, that is possible.
    As opposed to using more of strength to slow the bar down on the gravity pull down so you don't jerk your arms out of sockets.

And since higher weight and leaned over more with flat back, lower back is carrying more of load during workout.
  • Jodiec92
    Jodiec92 Posts: 25 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi Guys,

I've just joined this group and love all of the helpful tips so far :)

I’m currently on my 9th week of training. Before this I was eating completely unhealthy with no exercise, and now I mainly eat natural/unprocessed foods. I was under eating at first (averaging 9-1000 a day – bad, I know) but for the past 3 weeks or so I have upped to at least 1400 a day and have been focusing on increasing protein & good fats. (I have opened up my diary if you want to take a look).

Alongside healthy eating, I have been going to the gym 5x a week doing a mix of strength training (as heavy as I can, which isn’t that heavy atm), HIIT, and some steady state cardio.

My stats are:
    5’8, weighing 175lbs (79kg) Side note: I started at 196lbs, 9 weeks ago. Overall goal is between 140-150lbs (I’m more going off how my clothes fit, so ideally drop 2 dress sizes).

I just wanted to ask whether you think I should continue as I am (as I am still losing weight) or add more cals etc. I always stress over whether I’m eating too much of a certain food type/group, rather than the overall numbers. If I were to increase, would it matter if it was in carbs, protein or fat? **I work a desk job so I'm not that active outside my workouts. (on rest days I never know whether I should eat less)
    I tend to be an ‘all or nothing’ person so it’s definitely taking work to find a middle ground while meeting my goal.

Thanks in advance :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Jodiec92 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I've just joined this group and love all of the helpful tips so far :)

I’m currently on my 9th week of training. Before this I was eating completely unhealthy with no exercise, and now I mainly eat natural/unprocessed foods. I was under eating at first (averaging 9-1000 a day – bad, I know) but for the past 3 weeks or so I have upped to at least 1400 a day and have been focusing on increasing protein & good fats. (I have opened up my diary if you want to take a look).

Alongside healthy eating, I have been going to the gym 5x a week doing a mix of strength training (as heavy as I can, which isn’t that heavy atm), HIIT, and some steady state cardio.

My stats are:
    5’8, weighing 175lbs (79kg) Side note: I started at 196lbs, 9 weeks ago. Overall goal is between 140-150lbs (I’m more going off how my clothes fit, so ideally drop 2 dress sizes).

I just wanted to ask whether you think I should continue as I am (as I am still losing weight) or add more cals etc. I always stress over whether I’m eating too much of a certain food type/group, rather than the overall numbers. If I were to increase, would it matter if it was in carbs, protein or fat? **I work a desk job so I'm not that active outside my workouts. (on rest days I never know whether I should eat less)
    I tend to be an ‘all or nothing’ person so it’s definitely taking work to find a middle ground while meeting my goal.

Thanks in advance :)

What has your weight done in the last 4 weeks (weekly if you have it)? What have your macros been over that period (average per week) in grams?

How are your energy and adherence levels? Are you lifts improving?