Tools of the Trade

Options
1235»

Replies

• theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    daj150 wrote: »
    @theowlbox Aren't those masks for face only?
    @daj150 Yes they are the shape of your face but the extra serum in the package can be used anywhere. I apply it to my driest areas (face, chest, elbows, arms). Also, after about 10 mins on the face the sheet mask is still saturated and I then reapply to the same areas. Basically before I put on a heavy moisturizer I put on a thin essence or serum from a mask to build moisture. THEN I slap on heavier moisturizer to seal it in. It works better for me to seal in moisture after I've built it up. (If I wasn't in the water so much I probably wouldn't be doing this.)
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    @theowlbox This is really awesome to know. My wife uses those a lot, and I start my swim training in about 6 weeks, so I'll be in the pool a good bit each week. Thanks!
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    @theowlbox I've never heard of those masks. What is the brand etc. I wonder if we can get them in New Zealand
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    @theowlbox I've never heard of those masks. What is the brand etc. I wonder if we can get them in New Zealand

There are tons of brands of sheet masks. Google it or look on Amazon and see your options. For basic moisture and staying in a low price range check out The Face Shop, Tony Moly and Innisfree. These are great for trapping moisture in your face before you lock it in with your facial moisturizer. Another option is to look around for an "essence". A thin, loose liquid moisturizing product that often feels like thickened water. If you can find lower cost ones You can use it on larger areas. You can pat it in first then cover your skin with a more traditional moisturizer (typically opaque) that acts as a barrier cream. I also often use under eye hydrogel masks (like petitfee, etc.) to plump up my eye area post goggles. Fyi, I do these things because I get super dry and I'm super vain. It's just a way to keep my skin in good health. Some people don't need anything like this.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Does anyone here use Myswimpro? It is an app kind of like myfitnesspal for swimming.
    It allows you to log your workouts, they have videos and suggested workouts.
    There is also a social aspect where you can follow your friends and see their workouts and comment.
    If you have an apple watch you can use it directly in the water to do your workouts.

I have been using it for about a month, for now just for logging. It's pretty cool.

Interesting. Will check it out!
  • AquaticQuests
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Now added Neptune Finis and loving it!
    4inexj8hl2ys.jpg

I bought my Neptune second hand online two and a half years ago. It's served me well, but now down to only one side playing. So I'll probably have to get a new one soon! Probably the successor to this one - The Duo
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    AQ, is this one bone conduction? I love my iPod, but I must have big ear canals, because if I don't cram the earbuds in, I get water leaking in, and water will shut that music out like a wall. The iPod was a gift at Christmas, so I'm not looking to replace it, but I have heard of people using the Neptune and being quite satisfied.
  • tjpecknh
    tjpecknh Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    bama6977 wrote: »
    For anti-fogging I use baby shampoo. Couple of drops and quick rinse they won't fog. Do the same with my SCUBA mask when I dive. "

DITTO DITTO! Get a small trial size of Johnson's Baby Shampoo and it'll last you a VERY long time, easy to travel with and totally does the trick.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I went back to the Aquasphere swim goggles. They don't fog up. Dont need spit or shampoo. :D
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I did not get the Apple Watch specifically for swimming, but I sure was glad it did keep track in the swimming for me. For those of you who are curious - here is screen shots of the updated stat screens from Apple Watch with latest updates for swimmers:

Basic stat screen (note it auto detected stroke used) 0vasl2hha1ra.png

The auto set counter stats for my crawl

eb92dgenud7v.png

3nw76y8063tz.png
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Interesting article about the science behind set and stroke detection for swimmers using Apple Watch in case anyone is interested

https://www.popsci.com/inside-apple-watch-swim-tracking
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    Back in the pool! My old finis Neptune eventually fell apart from heavy use.
    Thought about buying it's upgrade the finis duo but decided to test out a much cheaper induction headset the tayogo 8gb.
    It's working great, but only two swims in, so it's early days yet!
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    Eventually the Tayogo failed after charging it too long,and my Garmin Swim also finally gave up the ghost too.
    So currently rocking another cheap bone conduction waterproof player and a Garmin 920 xt
    c3ft1muvrawk.jpg
    2me10kc5dys9.jpg
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    The bone conductors do not last long. My first Finis, (Yellow Jacket), lasted about nine months. The second one only lasted 90 days. My best luck has been Apple iPod, waterproof (after market). It still strong after 6 years. I like Swim Buds by Underwater Audio. The black ones, middle grade, (thicker wire), not the most expensive, but they last longer than the high end white ones. I swim, 4-5 days a week. Use the Christmas tree shaped rubber buds with Fit Goo. Do not roll your bud wires up, mostly keep them flat. I have found rolling up the wires decreases the life of the wire. I keep mine in a pencil box.