23/11/2014 to 29/11/2014 Weekly Post

Options

Replies

• flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Broke my fast at 9 AM when a colleage stopped by with fresh rolls for coffee....Oh well two successful fasts this week, so all is good.
  • orlcam
    orlcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    @flumi_f ...sorry...I heard blah blah blah...black boots...blah blah...
    Carry on!

@snaps27 I'm with you...going to try and start a fast sometime in the next 8 hours...lots of carbs the past few days, so I'm figuring it's going to be a tough one.

@Calahonda1984 & @gle8442 lots of new faces (I know I'm missing a few names) ...welcome to the group!

@melaniecheeks good to see you again...glad you like the banner

Lots of people getting sick...hope it's the season and not the fasting...I've been lucky so far, no flu/cold since I started, only allergies/sinuses to deal with from time to time

@thecarbmonster where y'at? Hoping all is well and you're enjoying the holiday. Missing/thinking of you...

Have a good weekend everyone...I've got some added lbs to lose over the next 10 days.
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Well, as expected, I did gain this week. But I am OK with that. I am learning that if I just stick with 5:2, and not eat everyday like it is Thanksgiving :wink:, I will get to my goal. Already looking forward to 2015 and what the new year will bring.

Hope it is a good day for you all whether you are fasting or eating at TDEE.

Week 13 - -3.2 lbs (-1.45 kg)
    Total loss as of 11/28/14 7.6 lbs (3.45 kg)
  • jknight001
    Options
    orlcam wrote: »
    @Calahonda1984 & @gle8442 lots of new faces (I know I'm missing a few names) ...welcome to the group!

And a lot more to come. "Alumni & Newcomers Weekend" should hit us about Jan 2. :grinning:
  • gle8442
    gle8442 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    jknight001 wrote: »
    orlcam wrote: »

And a lot more to come. "Alumni & Newcomers Weekend" should hit us about Jan 2. :grinning:

Thank you, I really like this group so far! The atmosphere seems more supportive and rationale than MFP-at-large too.
  • flumi_f
    edited November 2014
    Options
    [/quote]

Thank you, I really like this group so far! The atmosphere seems more supportive and rationale than MFP-at-large too.
    [/quote]

Definitely. 5:2ers are often more tolerant and happier with their discovery, have a more peaceful state of mind. Maybe because we feel less restricted and can enjoy life a bit more on most days, as there is no 'you can't, you can't' in the back of our minds all of the time.

• flumi_f
    Options
    @jknight: you are absolutely right on track! Well done!

Today is my monthly weigh in...the one I always post on my profile... Down 300g from last month, up 800g from yesterday...those rolls a friend brought into work were carb and sodium loaded. That get's me everytime. Oh well, some foods high in potassium and lots of water and I will flush it out again.

Had a good week though. Decided to redecorate my (very small) bathroom, as I'm spending more time in there getting all prettied up ;) . Got most of the stuff yesterday, but putting it together and installing everything, may have to wait a few weeks.

I'm off for my horseback ride now. A run later and then off to a party tonight. Will be seeing some people, that I haven't seen in a while. Love shocking people with my new look ....straight hair, makeup, duds and all :p

Enjoy your weekend!
  • jknight001
    Options
    flumi_f wrote: »
    Maybe because we feel less restricted and can enjoy life a bit more on most days, as there is no 'you can't, you can't' in the back of our minds all of the time.

It is stressful having to restrict what one eats ever day, isn't it?

• snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Fast day for me today. Woke up with a massive headache this morning and hopefully when I drink some water it will get better otherwise I'm going back to sleep. Crossing my fingers I make my fast today.
  • flumi_f
    Options
    @jknight001 - Yes it is. I really think this mental stress, makes 'normal' dieters hangry. I'm assuming the stress hormones could even make them more aggressive.

On 5:2 you have a shorter span of restriction. You can always think, 'I can have it tomorrow'. I think, that probably reduces stress hormones and can even increase weightloss in the end. It is definitely something that is sustainable, if you don't mind the fast days. It isn't for everyone. Some can't handle it mentally or physically, but it is the only way I've encountered until now, that works for me and can help me maintain my loss. I need that tool, because I am still a huge foodie! Love to cook, love to eat...love the healthy stuff....and (this is the reason I was overweight) love the 'bad' stuff (cookies, ice cream, chocolate, nuts....) too ;)

I get to have all that stuff as long as I keep up with my fasts and keep one eye on the scale, in order to react in time and buckle down on the non fast days, if I go overboard to often. I'm in for good!
  • flumi_f
    Options
    @snaps27 - Hope the headache goes away and I wish you an easy fast!
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    @snaps27 - Hope the headache goes away and I wish you an easy fast!

Thanks for the encouragement. Headache is still there a little bit, but have now had dinner so hope that helps. Went over my cals a bit today ended just over 700, not great, but I'll take it.

I've decided not to be to tough on myself until after the new year, too much stress and my emotions have been all over the place lately like I could cry at the drop of a hat. This time of year always makes me miss my USA family :'( I can't be too hard on myself.
  • jknight001
    Options
    @flumi_f I also think that having a higher number of calories on NFDs because we get to eat up to our TDEE calories also is a psychological and mental boost. I always found it so stressful to manage a tight calorie count everyday. I like that I work hard for two days and the the other five are very manageable.
  • jknight001
    Options
    snaps27 wrote: »
    I've decided not to be to tough on myself until after the new year, too much stress and my emotions have been all over the place lately like I could cry at the drop of a hat. This time of year always makes me miss my USA family :'( I can't be too hard on myself.

This is wise. Better to increase your FD cals a bit than go off on an emotional binge. Also it can help to write down a list of non-food items that help you feel loved so you have somethings to do that comfort you and don't move the scale needle up.

• flumi_f
    Options
    @snaps27 - I think, that's a good idea. Sometimes you succeed better by giving yourself some slack. Two higher fasts per week are still good work and will give you a deficit over the week.

Even if you 'only' maintain in December, I'd book that as a win. If you end up losing a little, great, if not, don't worry about it. I've had phases like this over the past 1 1/2 years and accepting them helped alot.
  • orlcam
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hope everyone is getting over the holidays (if you enjoyed one)...for those struggling (including me) go back to the basics...all those cheesy one liners and cliches you felt so emotionally charged by when you started fasting...start saying them again. I'd like to suggest to anyone starting out (wish I would have done this) to write yourself an email or letter expressing everything your feeling right now, because there's a good chance one of those written thoughts is the one that pushed you over the edge and led you to take action. Then when you're in a rough patch, go back and read it. This is another reason to completely fill out your profile...I go back and read mine from time to time just to get that little extra oomph.

So let me share my 3 day Thanksgiving experience along with the fast that followed (at hour 37 right now)...

Wednesday was pretty bad, decided to eat some pecan pie before the big day and it got away from me (enough said)...on to Thursday, actually eating the meal itself was not a problem, my stomach filled up quicker than usual. We had lunch at ~2 pm then I ate again around 7 (still a pretty reasonably sized meal) and didn't have dessert until around 9 (one pecan pie slice and one scoop of ice cream)...also no picking at stuff all day long. This felt pretty natural, I didn't have to talk myself down from anything. So not too bad...even on Wednesday I was right at my MFP TDEE even with all that pecan pie. It was late Thursday (after I got home) and Friday that really got me...bringing the leftovers (turkey, mac & cheese, ham, etc.) home was fine, but the desserts is what did me in. After making my way through half a cheesecake, 1/4 a pecan pie and 1/4 a pumpkin pie in a 12 hour period I gathered the remains and handed them to a guy who works for me (good riddance...not the guy...the pies).

Mistakes...oh yeah! Here's what I've learned...
    I volunteered to buy desserts (and I made the mac & cheese hmmm!), but instead of buying a couple of pies I bought 4 and a cheesecake...and ice cream. My plan was to have a little of each since I hadn't had any pie for about a year (I've made some low-cal cheesecakes...which is what I should have done). So even though there were about 15 or so people at the house over the course of the day, there was still a pretty good amount of dessert left. My sister-in-law argued with me about taking them home (enabler!) but I should have protested more.
    So...
    1) don't offer to bring your kryptonite to a family feast
    2) fight harder when those loving matriarchs are forcing comforts foods on you
    3) make/bring an alternative...just in case you lose control
    4) never lead a meal off with dessert (the catalyst to Friday's failure)
    5) no guilt...it can lead to a bigger meltdown

I didn't get to the guilt stage, but it was definitely lurking there in the shadows. I had pretty much prepared myself and excepted that I was going to take a step back. Was it worth it? Yes, this time it was, and if it only happens to me once (twice?) a year I'll consider myself lucky.

I had to pull out all the stops for this fast...15 grapes, 1 pickle, 5 almonds, 3 sugar-free jellos and lots of water kept me on track. It's been a long time since I've had to nibble that much to get me to my big meal (at 24 hours)....which was my old standby, chicken & mushroom curry. (total calories for the fast: 611)

As I said, I'm at the tail end of the 1st of 3 fasts I've planned for this week. Looking to make at least 40 hours on this one, then I'll give myself an 8 hour eating window and start my 2nd sometime tonight.

Still ~9 lbs above my lowest (was 15)...that's pretty achievable I think considering the amount of fluids I've taken in over the past 4 days.

It's good to share our failures as well as our successes...we're only human after all.

Hopefully sharing mine will help someone.
  • flumi_f
    Options
    The sugar schock probably caused you difficulties during this fast, but you still succeeded! Remember that!

You may have gained some, but most of it will be water and be gone by the end of this week. Your second fast will probably be much easier and the third one will take care of any damage done. So all is good, Orlcam. Also you self reflection is very good and will help you react differently next time. Next chance to prove it to yourself.......the holidays that are right around the corner.
  • flumi_f
    Options
    Lovely new banner, btw!
  • orlcam
    Options
    Lovely new banner, btw!
    Thanks, I made 3 for winter...I'll cycle them every week or so. Maybe I'll make one for Christmas and Hanukkah, not sure.

User photos are welcome and encouraged...if you have a nice photo, post it and I'll work it into a banner. You can upload it directly to the forums...higher quality preferred (1024 px width or greater).
  • orlcam
    edited November 2014
    Options
    The sugar schock probably caused you difficulties during this fast, but you still succeeded! Remember that!
    Yes, definitely, I meant to say that and went off on another tangent...being on a sugar rush right before you start fasting is not the way to go.

I just made a 2+ gallon pot of my 3 meat chili (18 lbs or so?). Bumped the veggies up so I could get the calories down under 300 per lb. I'm going to use it over the course of the week to help me get back on track. Chili, chili burritos/tacos, chili salad...yum.