New to EM2WL?? Read this!!!

Options

Replies

• IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I am actually quite confused about what is correct anymore. I have had my BMR measured at the hospital at 1760, but MFP tells me to eat 1360 and I am not even setting it to 2# a week loss. Also, according to many in the general forums, I should set my activity to sedentary because I have a desk job. I have checked multiple sites with "activity calculators" and they put me at lightly to moderately active. I am afraid to eat back the exercise calories due to being told that MFP grossly overestimates calorie burns.

As far as my lifting, yeah, I go for "barely holding on" by the end of 3x10. I won't lie and say it's a big ole weight, but it works for me :)
  • Dcorriette66
    Dcorriette66 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to being in this group. Anything that advocates eating is alright with me :smiley:
    I haven't done much with myfitnesspal since joining in 2012 and logged in today to get started. I have lost 50lbs this past year without much exercise and now looking to use exercise plus food to lose another 70lbs.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am actually quite confused about what is correct anymore. I have had my BMR measured at the hospital at 1760, but MFP tells me to eat 1360 and I am not even setting it to 2# a week loss. Also, according to many in the general forums, I should set my activity to sedentary because I have a desk job. I have checked multiple sites with "activity calculators" and they put me at lightly to moderately active. I am afraid to eat back the exercise calories due to being told that MFP grossly overestimates calorie burns.

As far as my lifting, yeah, I go for "barely holding on" by the end of 3x10. I won't lie and say it's a big ole weight, but it works for me :)

They measured your RMR, not BMR.
    RMR is higher by usually 150-250.
    Unless they really did have you sleep in during the night, gently wake you, put a hood over your head, and let you fall back asleep for a bit while they measured - that would be BMR.
    If awake sitting in a chair resting, that Resting Metabolic Rate, RMR.

You made MFP give you 1360 by your selection of weight loss weekly amount, and guess of non-exercise activity level.
    If you have kids at home after a desk job and on weekends - you aren't sedentary, you are lightly active outside of exercise.

And then that 1360 is ONLY on non-exercise days, on exercise days you correctly log your workouts and eat back the calories, keeping the same deficit, which means you eat more than 1360 on those days.

It doesn't grossly inflate, people think that as the excuse for why they don't lose weight.
    If it has an intensity level, it's really accurate, like walking and running.
    If it has none at all, of course it could be off, but either direction actually.
    Plus people are many times not honest with their logging time.
    Was that 60 min on the treadmill walking 4 mph, or actually 50 min total, and working your way up to 4 mph finally for 10 min, then slower again? So avg is actually 3.5 perhaps.
    Or spin class, really 45 min of normal intense spinning, or 5-10 min warmup easier, and 10 min cooldown and stretching, so less than 30 of actual spin class?
    And actually, logging Strength Training as the manner you are doing, is pretty accurate too, all things considered.

As to your RMR being 1760, is that close to correct for your age, weight, height?
    Or even better if you've been in diets before losing muscle mass - is it correct for your bodyfat % you currently have?
    It could be dead on correct.
    Then again it could be badly suppressed by upwards of 20%.

Obviously it would drive your metabolism in to the ground even more if you based your eating figures on the 2nd potential.
  • Bebe6740
    Bebe6740 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Taking a leap of faith....happily
    Hello,

I have been blessed to find this EM2LW forum/group in a much needed time in my life. I am 31, 5'7, weighing in at 240lbs- the highest I have ever weighed!

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and take 100mcg starting 6 weeks ago. I finally have some much needed energy, and with that, some much wanted motivation. My blood work is great now. So.....

Like many here, I want to get healthy, be fit, and yes of course, look great in clothes (and out of it :) ).

I've done all the diets on the face of this earth, but never had 'success' as explained in the initial forum. I would lose weight, gain it, lose it, gain it, gain some more, then some more on top of that, then lose some, gain some, and again and again.

I'm tired of always thinking about 'food', what am i going to eat that, how can I eat that?, i want that, no I can't have that, shoot I had that now what?....You get the drill..... It's like if 'food' and my 'weight' controlled/s my every existence.

I've come to this forum and joined this group because I AM SO OVER ALL OF THAT! I am extremely motivated and WILL beat this once and for all! I will work at it for however long it takes, I am mentally determined!

Now having said that.....shooot am I scared! I stopped going to the gym for about 1 year now, so I used to be moderately active, and now sit at a desk all day. But, I have re-joined the gym and have already have gone 3times/week.

SO I guess my question goes out to you all, when calculating my tdee-15-20% am I to use moderately active or lightly active? ( I will be lifting weights 3/4 times a week, with a couple of 30 minute cardio days).

My BMR seems to be 1866, and TDEE 2700....??

If that the case TDEE-15% would put me at 2450 calories a day, holy crap that is a LOT OF FOOD!!!!!

I trust the process, so I will do it with a great leap of faith, but I just wanted confirmation on the cut value I should be eating at? Also, are we to adjust the calculations after losing 10 lbs or so? Or am I to eat 2450 cals for a long time?

THANK YOU TO ALL IN ADVANCE!!! I am sure you will see many more future posts from me! Add me!
  • heybales
    Options
    3 x weekly at gym.
    For 30 min each, or 2 hrs each?

Days is not a useful indicator, hours at least helps. Though 1 hr walking is not the same as 1 hr spin class as 1 hr lifting either.

What is daily life too, you are only talking gym. No kids to make rest of life a tad more active?

And you would be very realistic to take 20% deficit IF you have been eating up around maintenance for a while.
    Not exercise included TDEE, but sedentary TDEE as you have been.
    If eating up around that level, than 20% will work down to last 80 lbs to go. Then switch to 15% better.

For adjusting - you should always eat correctly for your level of activity.
    10 lbs lost usually gives a decent enough change, but just look and see on the TDEE estimate by using 10 lbs lighter, you can check it out all the way to goal weight for that matter.
    But more importantly, if you do more than planned in TDEE estimate - you eat more, if you do less, you eat less.
    Life lesson there of course to help maintain weight.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I have just joined and I am so happy to find this group because I do love my food. I look forward to sharing information with you all and picking up tips. :)
  • rbee2015
    rbee2015 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Graceious1 wrote: »
    I have just joined and I am so happy to find this group because I do love my food. I look forward to sharing information with you all and picking up tips. :)

Hey girl , I am brand new to this concept . Can you tell me how to calculate a TDEE? I am calculating my BMR right now. I have a sister in law, who is skinny, buff, hard as a rock and eats massive amounts of food....never could figure out how she looks the way she does. She never volunteers any info.
  • rbee2015
    rbee2015 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Never mind , I figured out my TDEE.....wow this is an interesting way of looking at weight loss. I knew it was not a good idea to consume very little calories....the body hates that. TTYL
  • Jennbecca33
    Jennbecca33 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • fit4phyllis
    Options
    Hi! I'm relatively new to faithfully using the MyFitnessPal app. I enjoy learning the importance of keeping my caloric count up, especially when exercising. I hope to learn more about filling my calories with healthy choices, in addition to my juicing. WW was great for me years ago. Now that I'm over 50, I want FREE wellness and fitness assistance. :smile:

I look forward to learning and sharing!
  • malovafarms
    malovafarms Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi Im new to the group and I luv to eat healthy in good quantity to fuel up.. learning balance and getting into exercise more.. theres no way Id start eating to few calories while increasing exercise ! Doesn't make sense to me .. looking for results.. but priority is energy :) now hopefully both as I get fit
  • shaunshaun17
    Options
    howdy! im new here too and i havent lost a lotta weight by cutting calories, soooo im gonna try eating more (in a healthy way) instead!! pls support me :p
  • Jennbecca33
    Options
    Welcome to all the new members! Feel free to friend request the group leaders along the right hand side of the main page. Also be sure to check out the main website at www.em2wl.com We're glad to have you all join the group!!
  • Jennbecca33
    Options
    bump
  • Jennbecca33
    Options
    bump
  • Jennbecca33
    Options
    bump
  • tannercreek1
    tannercreek1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm new to this group today and I'm a bit confused by the 40/30/30 for Carb, protein and fat. On my Fit Bit/( Jawbone actually) for today it says I have 47%protein, 83%fat and 58% Carbs.. I have eaten 847 calories. I know I am supposed to eat 1900 calories but won't my percentages be way over. I think I am doing the math wrong and I need to change my calories on MFP. What numbers do I look at on my Jawbone and My Fitness Pal? Thanks.
  • CarrieBeard
    CarrieBeard Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    hum??? Increasing calories is scary!
  • heybales
    Options
    Hello, I'm new to this group today and I'm a bit confused by the 40/30/30 for Carb, protein and fat. On my Fit Bit/( Jawbone actually) for today it says I have 47%protein, 83%fat and 58% Carbs.. I have eaten 847 calories. I know I am supposed to eat 1900 calories but won't my percentages be way over. I think I am doing the math wrong and I need to change my calories on MFP. What numbers do I look at on my Jawbone and My Fitness Pal? Thanks.

If you wrote those % correctly from wherever you saw them - you have an app math issue.

Because you can't have more than 100%, despite the encouragement to give it a 110% effort. ;-)

And because % are based on a total of something, % can NOT go over some amount.

30% of 847 calories is still 30% of 1900 calories when you eat more.

The GRAMS and calories of what makes up that 30% obviously change, if that's what you mean.

Yes, you are doing the math wrong.

MFP already does % only actually.
    So just go in to your MFP Goals - Custom goal - and change the eaten goal to 1900 (if that is indeed correct) and the macro % to what you are talking about.

Don't use Fitbit/Jawbone for eating goals, that's why you are using MFP for logging food, right?
    Don't even use their diary, not needed at all.
  • daisyq73
    daisyq73 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone
    I just recently found this group. I see peoples food diary and think..."I cannot live like that".
    I want to eat regular food or I wont be able to keep it up. I guess Im in the right place.
    Hope you guys can help me.