30/11/14 - 06/12/14 Weekly Post

Options
flumi_f
flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
edited December 2014 in Social Groups
First week of Advent is here - tis the season of lots of socializing and that almost always includes food.
-
Save some spare cals here and there, if you can and then enjoy your time with friends and family. Don't be disappointed if you losses stall a little. I think, most of us should at least be able to maintain during December, if we continue with the fasts. At least that is my plan :)

That being said...next weekend is our family's traditional cookie baking weekend. Most will be given to friends as presents, but I know more than enough will land in my mouth.

Enjoy your week and your fasts. I am slurping on some homemade spinach soup atm as today is my fast day. Quite yummy, very healthy and full of potassium and vitamins and lots of other good stuff :p

Replies

• snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Thanks @orlcam for sharing your experience with us. Like you said it's good to share good and bad. But I don't see this as bad. You saw where you can improve next time. That's what I always tell my kids, " learn from it and do better next time". And I think it is okay to let ourselves enjoy sometimes, we only live once. And it sounds like your getting back on track. That the great thing about 5:2 because you can have a bad day or three and then just get back to fasting. So there it is my kind words, now to practice what I preach. Don't worry any of us can fall into a pie, cake or a whole bag of biscuits :#
  • snaps27
    Options
    Also love the new banner very festive. And those were beautiful snow pics @flumi!

I was just thinking that it would be so great to maybe reward each other for hitting milestones, 5, 10, 20 etc. Maybe a special banner the week someone hits one (if we let each other know). Just an idea. Hope everyone is doing well this December 1st!
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    snaps27 wrote: »
    Thanks @orlcam for sharing your experience with us. Like you said it's good to share good and bad. But I don't see this as bad. You saw where you can improve next time. That's what I always tell my kids, " learn from it and do better next time". And I think it is okay to let ourselves enjoy sometimes, we only live once. And it sounds like your getting back on track. That the great thing about 5:2 because you can have a bad day or three and then just get back to fasting. So there it is my kind words, now to practice what I preach. Don't worry any of us can fall into a pie, cake or a whole bag of biscuits :#

@Snaps. Wish I had parents who had told me that growing up. If there is ONE thing, I really had wished they'd done, it would be teaching me that trial and error is true learning. Your kids are lucky to have wise mum :)

Great banners and snow pics! Breathtaking mountain view. Omg, I can literally inhale that fresh air...closing my eyes...

@flumi again. We are lucky to have a chem engineer amongst us. Any other knowledge nuggets you got to share...bring it on!

This week I'm celebrating that I'm officially back to the 50's, ie, my scales are showing 59.something kg. It's been hovering around 61-59 kg the whole month. Yep, that's close to 7-8 lbs range. It varies widely with exercise (more water in muscles?) and carb intake.

What's kind of discouraging is that my intake is superlow and maintaining. I need to see the doctor when I have more proof that something is WRONG.

On the bright side, I've never felt better since starting eating fats. IBS gone. More energy. More exercise. Beating personal records almost by the week.

Oh, btw those headaches that people mention. Do they occur in companion with your fast days and low carbing? I always get migraine type headache when I eat more carbs again or in the transition of going in and out of ketosis. I also get some weird itchy outbreaks on my neck. I think it's generally described as the Atkins flu.

Happy week everyone :)

• thecarbmonster
    thecarbmonster Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Took a kind of break...yeah, a whole lot of a break lately, but I'm back at it today. Easing back into fasting- 880 calorie day planned. I forgot to weigh-in this morning until I was fully dressed and wasn't going to do that to myself. I guess I'll cheat the scale a bit and see where the scale sits tomorrow after a fast day. Luckily, when I've been weighing myself during my week/week and a half break, I didn't see anything starting with 3-something, so that is a major win. I have a feeling I will be 4 pounds up from my lowest (expecting 298 or 299), but I'll take it! Goal for NYE is to be down to 290...four weeks to go. I'll see how much cushion I have for Christmas dinner :P

One thing I can say for sure after my break, I prefer being in control and fasting. I like knowing if I cut back a bit I will see a change...either mentally or physically. I indulged my bingeing tendancies a bit...had more than I needed a few times, but honestly felt like I needed it out of my system and remind myself I like being the other way a WHOLE LOT MORE!

Hope everyone has a great week! Let's go!!!

@flumi, speaking of Advent, whew. My muscles are SOOOOORE. My mom's church had an advent celebration/party for the kids so I helped her station in making gingerbread houses. A lot of work on your feet all day. I should have made yesterday my fast day cause I definitely sweated a lot :P
  • thecarbmonster
    Options
    I'm curious what holiday parties or other things people have coming up.

I don't have a formal company party this year (just a work lunch), so only dress-up thing I have is a wedding on NYE that also serves as my 50 pounds down goal.

I'm excited because I'm planning to wear the same dress I wore to my holiday party last year to the wedding and looking forward to how much better I'll feel.

Last year, I felt it looked "okay" and could feel "okay" with a big ole tummy tucker girdle (or whatever they call it), but just felt blah (not just weight, but a lot of things I've been working on and making super huge progress on, a lot thanks to this group!).

I was around the 330's then so I'm super excited to wear it now at sub-300's! I can't find any pics on FB from the party last year (pretty sure I untagged myself lol...oh self esteem), but I'm already feeling happier just thinking I'll be proud of my body this time. I do feel like I've made progress "mentally" that I can be happy with my body, even this big, but that I also feel "in control" instead of "helpless" and stuck in the 300's.

Warning corny....but I hope everyone will remind themselves of something they love about themselves...or a whole bunch! No limit! Doesn't matter if it was a bad eating day, or the scale didn't move, you still chose to come here and keep working on it. That is a win. If you are struggling and feel like you can't "love yourself" right now, you can love your motivation, or that you are still trying and keep working on it. I'm sure it'll start to spread!

I honestly feel, more than anything else in this journey, that once I stopped picking out all the things I didn't like about myself, the things I loved about myself multiplied.
    And it keeps powering me through this because of punishing my body, I'm loving it and empowering it instead. We all deserve to feel happy and in control and confident.
  • flumi_f
    edited December 2014
    Options

Warning corny....but I hope everyone will remind themselves of something they love about themselves...or a whole bunch! No limit! Doesn't matter if it was a bad eating day, or the scale didn't move, you still chose to come here and keep working on it. That is a win. If you are struggling and feel like you can't "love yourself" right now, you can love your motivation, or that you are still trying and keep working on it. I'm sure it'll start to spread!

I honestly feel, more than anything else in this journey, that once I stopped picking out all the things I didn't like about myself, the things I loved about myself multiplied.
    And it keeps powering me through this because of punishing my body, I'm loving it and empowering it instead. We all deserve to feel happy and in control and confident.

So glad you're back!

Carbi - not corny! This is huge! And an awesome change! IMO the key to never seeing that 3 on the scale again! The weightloss is a big deal, but this is much more important and will open many more doors and opportunities.

Why do I know....been there, still working on it, but doing so much better! Took me over 10yrs of work on my innerself, before I was far enough, that my body and soul could change forever and tear down those walls. Last week during my makeover, I saw myself in the mirror and for the first time felt really beautiful inside and out. This feeling came from my deepest core. It has changed me.
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Fast day for me today. Glad to be back in the saddle. I think Carbmonster mentioned the same that it feels good to just do a simple fast, especially after Thanksgiving for me. :smile:

@flumi_f I have been wondering with your wonderful success, if you have reached maintenance mode? And if so, how is that going?

@Carbmonster - glad to see your face posting again. Thanks for the bit of beautiful truth today:
  • eychenn
    eychenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    First fast day of the week down! Woo hoo!
  • jknight001
    Options
    hngui wrote: »
    First fast day of the week down! Woo hoo!

Alrighta! :joy:
  • flumi_f
    Options
    @Jknight001 - Well....still have 2-3kg to go and have been on those since June 2014 ;-) due to eating too much on my non fast days. Just wasn't in losing mode and I still love all kinds of food. Summer is always a hard time for me to lose. Hoping after the Holidays and with the changes the make over caused to lose them at the beginning of 2015.

Until then, I am quite happy with maintaining. With my 2 fasts, I'm allowed to indulge a bit, especially on the weekends. I usually start mondays fast at about 58-58.5kg (some is water weight) and end on Saturday morning at about 57-57.5kg. I'm OK with that and if I don't get back under 57.5kg by the end of a week, I am a bit more disciplined in the following week or throw in a 3rd fast.

But my Goal is 54-55kg (I'm short....). That would give me a bit of wiggeling room for the future. Getting down to 55kg before my second operation in June would be perfect. There will be about 1kg of skin coming off then....
  • snaps27
    Options
    I'm curious what holiday parties or other things people have coming up.

No formal things for me this year, but I kind want to dress-up on new years eve just for fun with the kids. Family party even if we all could be in pajamas.

No warning needed...It is people like you in this group that helps me keep going and going on my slow merry way! Thank you @thecarbmonster!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

What you say is so right...even if we are not getting our numbers down or fast enough, we are all still here and trying our best. Just the fact that we have acknowledged that we want to improve ourselves then that is such a positive thing.
  • thecarbmonster
    Options
    @flumi I love having you as a maintainer/my goal haha!

Great job @hngui

@jknight back in control and kicking booty!!!

@snaps speaking of pajamas, even though I'll be 30 next year, I still look forward to the elf bringing us our Christmas pajamas every year!!! I go to church on Christmas Eve with my mom and sister and magically they appear when we get home! (I helped the Elf get pajamas and will deliver them this year, so I'm realllly looking forward to them! Cute red with snowflake pajamas!

Weighed in this morning to get my highest of the week (cheated a bit since I fasted yesterday), but only up 2.2 from my lowest pre-break. That is a major win! 6 pounds in 4 weeks to get to my goal...even if I don't make it, I'm loving these graphs lol.

Here's my graph of all my weigh-ins:
    lu4n15k287sk.png

And this is just tracking my highest and lowest of the week (which I like to focus on to see the trend keep going down. The last points meet because I put today's weight as both the highest and lowest for this week (will update that point if I lose this week):

930k4oeeddb7.png

• jemimasmum
    jemimasmum Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    @carb. You have put so many positve things this week but I have been totally distracted by the Pajama Elf. I will need to see whether he does UK house calls!
    I did 2 fasts last week and aim for 3 this week. Scales are not moving very quickly so I can see that another 5 by NYE isn't likely. Still got my eyes on the prize though...only need another 3 for a healthy BMI!
  • thecarbmonster
    Options
    @jemi...omg, you're soooo close! You can totally do it! That is fantastic! I'm planning 3 fast days as well and maybe 1-2 days calorie deficit days (just little cal deficits vs full TDEE days) and then my 2 TDEE days. I'm always changing up my schedule.

One thing I know is that my stomach is loving feeling less weighed down by tons of food.
  • orlcam
    orlcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I want photos of all of you in your magical jammies! Is that twisted or what?

Missing the kids & wife...tsk...I'm sure I'll be lurking this forum on x-mas eve (and new years too?)...how sad is that? I'll have a couple of family events to go to, so I'll get a few days off from the seasonal self-loathing. Are you feeling sorry for me yet? ...all the more reason why I need those jimjam pics!

Well if any of you make it here during the holidays, just know that santa (yep, that's me...I've got the "bowl full of jelly" to prove it) will be around waiting to give you a jolly "ho ho"!
  • snaps27
    Options

Here's my graph of all my weigh-ins:
    lu4n15k287sk.png

930k4oeeddb7.png

I totally had to post these charts again because I'm loving them too!!!! :D Awesome, Awesome job!!
  • orlcam
    orlcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Doh! Oh yeah...great job carbster! Like j's-mum I was distracted by the pajamas, but for different reasons.

...and send those selfies to creepydude@the.5.2.stalker.net!
  • jknight001
    Options
    flumi_f wrote: »
    @Jknight001 - Well....still have 2-3kg to go and have been on those since June 2014 ;-) due to eating too much on my non fast days. Just wasn't in losing mode and I still love all kinds of food. Summer is always a hard time for me to lose. Hoping after the Holidays and with the changes the make over caused to lose them at the beginning of 2015.

Until then, I am quite happy with maintaining. With my 2 fasts, I'm allowed to indulge a bit, especially on the weekends. I usually start mondays fast at about 58-58.5kg (some is water weight) and end on Saturday morning at about 57-57.5kg. I'm OK with that and if I don't get back under 57.5kg by the end of a week, I am a bit more disciplined in the following week or throw in a 3rd fast.

But my Goal is 54-55kg (I'm short....). That would give me a bit of wiggeling room for the future. Getting down to 55kg before my second operation in June would be perfect. There will be about 1kg of skin coming off then....

How exciting! You are almost there. Actually, it is great to hear you have been maintaining the loss you have since June. For me, the weight loss is easy, it is the maintaining that is very hard.

• thecarbmonster
    Options
    Holiday jammies party lol!

@jemi- Pajama Elf has to become a thing in your house! I don't think any of you guys are plus size (?) but we normally get our Christmas pajamas from Woman Within or Catherine's (in-store, at last minute lol). This year I also got super cozy robes from Kohls, too. Can't wait to try them...you know, for science. Not because I'm cheating and wearing them before Christmas lol.
  • flumi_f
    Options
    carbi - Did you let the Elf know, you need a smaller sized PJ this year?
    - Your chart is awesome! And those 2lbs will be off in a jiffy. Don't overrestrict too much though this week. That can lead to binging in the end. 4:3 is fine, but then stay around your TDEE on the other days. Don't want your energy and motivation to decrease.

jknight - yeah, I looked at 5:2 as a tool from the beginning. And even though I'm not quite there yet, knowing I've maintained for 6mth is very comforting. That is where I always failed on daily restriction.

orlcam - I'm pretty sure, I'll check up on Santa over the holidays, so get those presents ready ;-)