Geroge Zimmerman trial

Options
His attorney is not being allowed to bring up Martin's drug use or fighting suspensions in opening arguments. Do you think this will hinder the case for Zimmerman?

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Are those two topics off limits entirely, or just during the opening arguments?

If it is off limits entirely, it will harm Zimmerman's defense.

If they have to wait to use it later, it's still a damaging piece of information for the prosecution's case.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it will but I am pretty sure that the Judge's order that Martin be referred to ONLY as "that lovely boy Trayvon" is going to bias things.
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    It will be really scary if George Zimmerman's lawyers can get the precedent set that one can chase someone down and then when they attempt to defend themselves you are legally allowed to shoot them under stand your ground rules.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    And what exactly would his suspension from school have to do with chasing him down in the middle of the night and shooting him....Nada... Personally I think the defense is grasping at straws and they know it
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Drug use and fighting suspensions could bias the jury. Drug users, dope dealers, and fighting thugs don't deserve to be chased down and shot. I'm in support of keeping this out.

I don't know that it will hinder Zimmerman's case, but I'm glad it can't be used to help it, either.
  • debloves2ride
    debloves2ride Posts: 386
    Options
    From what I understand the references were banned only during the opening statement. It can come up during testimony. I think it should, yes it has no bearing on what zimmerman did, but I believe it does have a bearing on attitude and how both of them reacted to the confrontation.
  • Tubtui
    Tubtui Posts: 53
    Options
    Has anyone watched the live coverage of the trial?

I think the shouting on the tape is kind of key: who said what, who cried for help. Without it they can't be sure beyond reasonable doubt and thus I guess the verdict might be "not guilty".

I feel so sorry for the boy. If I was in an area with nobody else on the streets and some guy first follows me in his car, then gets out of the car and follows me on foot, I'd think he was a dangerous creep too. I'd feel threatened.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    I don't think either should be brought up at all....after all, it is Zimmerman on trial, not Trayvon....

I pray the jury will do the right thing.....
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Interesting...
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/george-zimmerman-witness-cantt-read-letter-wrote-shooting/story?id=19504826#.Ucxto_nBPTo

FTA: "She is seen as a critical witness to the prosecution because she is the only person able to say that Martin claimed that he noticed a strange man following him and that he was scared. Jeantel said Martin described the stranger as a "creepy *kitten* cracker.""

I thought Zimmerman was the racist.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    It will be really scary if George Zimmerman's lawyers can get the precedent set that one can chase someone down and then when they attempt to defend themselves you are legally allowed to shoot them under stand your ground rules.

but only if they're wearing a hoodie.
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options

What about police officers who chase someone down? If that person turns around and starts fighting, do they then have the right to shoot?
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

What about police officers who chase someone down? If that person turns around and starts fighting, do they then have the right to shoot?

that's compairing apples to guavas.

Police are duly appointed officers of the law. they are doing their duty to protect and serve. HOWEVER, even an on-duty police officer has to declare that they are a cop and warn that they will shoot before discharging their weapon. otherwise IA will not clear an in-the-line shooting as a "good shoot".

Furthermore, you are not allowed to physically defend yourself against the police. If you do, it's resisting arrest or assaulting a police officer, either of which will land you in jail... well, a holding cell until you can be seen by a judge and then probably probation if it is actual defense, but the point stands.

Zimmerman was Neighborhood Watch. IDK of any county where they are allowed more than a tazer when on patrol. they are NOT allowed to carry leathal force. EVEN IF THEY HAVE A PERMIT. it's an insurance thing for the HOAs mostly, but the fact remains, that Zimmerman was not allowed to be carrying. he was allowed to call the police. he might have even been allowed to taze someone (depending on the county and the threat level).

Add to that, if you DO have a permit to carry (concealed or open or just an owners' license in your home) you STILL have to declare "i have a gun". Second Ammendment rights are not carte blanche to shoot ppl.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    The fat chick Precious look-alike who was testifying today has to be one of the dumbest human beings ive ever seen.
  • Tubtui
    Options
    The fat chick Precious look-alike who was testifying today has to be one of the dumbest human beings ive ever seen.

Not the greatest witness... at least not for the prosecution. The defence will be quite happy.
    Did I hear her right earlier? I thought she said: "thats very retarded, sir"
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I still can't believe they were able to find a nonbiased jury in Florida.... I mean I live in Flordia this case was everywhere and everyone was talking about it.....Where did they find jurers under rocks? Honestly I'm not suprised his lawyers didn't ask for the case to be tried somewhere else where it had less noterity
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

In Texas the police have the right to shoot your dog, even if the dog is contained in your back yard and they went to the wrong house.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options

Experts said that white people would not really be able to understand her.....that was one of the reasons they had her on the stand so long, they said the jury was warming up to her on the second day...

She may not be educated like you or I, but that is a pretty ignorant statement.....
  • Tubtui
    Options
    So Zimmerman was found not guilty...

Does anybody know if the police investigated this case in the beginning? I read they just took Zimmerman's statement and only 2 months later, after the media got involved, they actually started any investigating. Is that true?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    So Zimmerman was found not guilty...

Does anybody know if the police investigated this case in the beginning? I read they just took Zimmerman's statement and only 2 months later, after the media got involved, they actually started any investigating. Is that true?

Pretty much.