07/12/14 - 13/12/14 Weekly Post

Options

Replies

• flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    OK, I give you the benefit of the doubt, cause you're a nice guy.

Might be a European thing...the guy I was talking to today about this lives in London.
  • orlcam
    orlcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Nah...us Americans, we're pent up, uptight, and tightly wound (some of us)...Europe definitely has us beat when it comes to the sexual revolution. My kids (they're in Italy) tell me about the commercials sometimes...wowza! I'm not a prude, but I am 49, so I guess I'm behind the times...tsk. ...and I remember when I thought I was so far ahead of the game...or so I thought.

This thread is turning into the flumi and orlcam show...MFP needs a chat room, actually 1 per group would be a great update/mod.
  • flumi_f
    Options
    Well flumi is off to bed soon, so I'll leave this chat room to the Americans now.
  • eychenn
    eychenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    flumi_f wrote: »
    An average of one pound a week is about what you can expect on 5:2. If you have alot to lose, maybe a bit more. If the 3.5lb are in 6 weeks, it's still a good loss. Restricting another 500-1000cals/week as you noted, should give you another 1/6-1/3lb per week. Not huge, but not nothin'. I'm assuming you are not very overweight and probably not very tall or inactive. Those would be reasons to decrease your intake a bit on normal days.

I personally am not very happy with 1500, which is why I've been maintaining for 6mth and not losing my last 3kg....5'1'', 45y, 57-58kg, lightly active, TDEE 1600 (before exercise), just for comparisons sake.

thanks again for your input! yeah you nailed it - i'm 5'2" and 150ish lbs, trying to lose 30-35. 1500 is not too difficult as I don't mind skipping breakfast. Lately I have been eating it just to meet the goal for the day. We'll see what happens if I decrease my calories!
  • eychenn
    Options
    flumi_f wrote: »
    Well flumi is off to bed soon, so I'll leave this chat room to the Americans now.

and a Canadian here ;)
  • flumi_f
    Options
    Oops, sorry eychenn. I wouldn't want to forget the Canadians!!! ;-)
  • chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Great job everyone!

I'm hoping for another loss with my weigh-in tomorrow. I didn't end up fasting on Monday but today instead...that's the beauty of this program :wink:
  • thecarbmonster
    thecarbmonster Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    whoop whoop hey y'all! it's hump day! (ugh this week is already a long one)

weight is pretty steady/hasn't changed much, so I'm finding that a reason to be haaaaapppppyyyy that it isn't roller coastering up and down, even if losses aren't too fast. I haven't fasted as clean/regular as normal, so I still need to clean up my act a bit.

@flumi, are you still doing 18/6? Yesterday I waited until dinner to eat my fast calories. Today, I'm planning to wait until noon at least.

Not sure if it'll be a fast day since I have a family dinner/party tonight, but I might try to eat before and resist the desserts!

When I was dieting before I would say I wasn't going to eat, but then I would go hog-wild. I never felt that satisfied when I ate anything and everything and nothing was ever that good or felt worth binge-ing for. Definitely going to keep that in mind tonight and maybe just have a bite or nibble if anything is that tempting.

• snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Successfully completed my fast yesterday B) . @orlcam...you must be a partner crime (theme song to mission impossible) not a tattle tail!! And actually it was another of my kids. With 6 kids, I get it from all sides :| But the 15 lbs weight jacket is not a bad idea >:)
  • eychenn
    Options
    impromptu fast day! It's 4:30pm and I haven't eaten anything yet today so might as well make it a fast day! getting the 2nd one of the week out of the way, or I might even do 3 in one week. woo hoo!
  • Calahonda1984
    Options
    Well yesterday didn't go to plan. It was meant to be my second fast of the week, followed by a third on Friday. I don't know what came over me, I ate! Oh well, back on it today and I won't be having anything (apart from water and green tea) until around 6pm (5.5hrs to go!).

I have BEES! For the last couple of months the extractor fan above the oven has been 'buzzing' and when I turn it on to get rid of whatever fly or bug has ventured in from the roof vent above us they get zapped. Well the last week it has got really bad and so loud! It makes me feel quite sick when I'm cooking and I daren't open the fan anymore in case they fall into my food - gross.
    Anyway, I thought I'd go up on the roof terrace yesterday armed with some tights, scissors and gaffa tape to wrap around the vent and stop the bugs getting in. When I got up there though I nearly had a heart attack - it was like something out of a horror film! We never go up onto the roof terrace as there's no furniture up there. There were bees (I thought they were wasps this whole time until I took a photo of one and was told they were bees - they look very different to UK bees) crawling on the terrace floor and hundreds swarming around the chimney vent thing. As you can imagine I was a little scared - I really don't like wasps. Now that I know they are bees though, that's OK, but obviously I don't really want them living in our chimney and coming into the apartment through the extractor fan.
    Alex (my bloke) found a maintenance guy this morning who has made the necessary calls to have the bees removed tomorrow morning and moved somewhere else. Bees are protected species so thank goodness they aren't going to kill them all. Instead they have to move house - poor bees! So at 10am tomorrow I will be locking myself in the apartment and not going outside for a long time!

That's a fair bit to read, if you can't be bothered then all you have to know is I have bees!

Hope Thursday is going well for everyone x
  • mwhite61451
    mwhite61451 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Well yesterday didn't go to plan. It was meant to be my second fast of the week, followed by a third on Friday. I don't know what came over me, I ate! Oh well, back on it today and I won't be having anything (apart from water and green tea) until around 6pm (5.5hrs to go!).

I have BEES! For the last couple of months the extractor fan above the oven has been 'buzzing' and when I turn it on to get rid of whatever fly or bug has ventured in from the roof vent above us they get zapped. Well the last week it has got really bad and so loud! It makes me feel quite sick when I'm cooking and I daren't open the fan anymore in case they fall into my food - gross.
    Anyway, I thought I'd go up on the roof terrace yesterday armed with some tights, scissors and gaffa tape to wrap around the vent and stop the bugs getting in. When I got up there though I nearly had a heart attack - it was like something out of a horror film! We never go up onto the roof terrace as there's no furniture up there. There were bees (I thought they were wasps this whole time until I took a photo of one and was told they were bees - they look very different to UK bees) crawling on the terrace floor and hundreds swarming around the chimney vent thing. As you can imagine I was a little scared - I really don't like wasps. Now that I know they are bees though, that's OK, but obviously I don't really want them living in our chimney and coming into the apartment through the extractor fan.
    Alex (my bloke) found a maintenance guy this morning who has made the necessary calls to have the bees removed tomorrow morning and moved somewhere else. Bees are protected species so thank goodness they aren't going to kill them all. Instead they have to move house - poor bees! So at 10am tomorrow I will be locking myself in the apartment and not going outside for a long time!

That's a fair bit to read, if you can't be bothered then all you have to know is I have bees!

Hope Thursday is going well for everyone x

And I thought I had problems. I had a similar problem with snakes. Short story...we found 87 in our basement!
  • mwhite61451
    edited December 2014
    Options
    BTW-Here's the link to the IF study on mice:

http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/fulltext/S1550-4131(14)00498-7

Wonder when they will do a study on people. Seems to be enough anecdotal evidence...from this group alone...to warrant one. I have noticed that when I have the discipline to maintain a 16:8 regimen, I have had had the best results. They are even better when I include elements of Whole30.
  • maphammonds
    maphammonds Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    oh my goodness calahonda & mwhite - that does sound like something out of a horror movie - or that Animal Planet show 'Infested'. I think I would just move if my house had 87 snakes (shivering over that thought right now!). Glad they can get you bee-free calahonda, and pretty cool that they can 'move' them.
  • mwhite61451
    Options
    oh my goodness calahonda & mwhite - that does sound like something out of a horror movie - or that Animal Planet show 'Infested'. I think I would just move if my house had 87 snakes (shivering over that thought right now!). Glad they can get you bee-free calahonda, and pretty cool that they can 'move' them.

We did!
  • Calahonda1984
    Options

And I thought I had problems. I had a similar problem with snakes. Short story...we found 87 in our basement!

ARRRGH! Extreme wildlife ha! I had three bees buzzing around me at my desk at home today... I need them moved PRONTO! Not sure how bees are 'moved' but it would be interesting to watch. I'd have to get all bee suited up. I worked on a farm a few years ago I was doing harvest in my tractor. One of the fields of hay that I was cutting was in the flight path of the honey bees we had in hives. For that summer I had to wear a bee suit whilst in the tractor - it was hot!

mwhite, what is Whole30? I'm trying the 16:8 at the moment and hoping to see some results :blush:

• thecarbmonster
    Options
    Trying to get my ish together. I feel like I'm doing horrible, but I know that's not the truth. I think the old tendencies that if I'm not 100% perfect, I can give up are trying to creep back in. The reason I love this diet is that I don't HAVE to be perfect all the time. I have the flexibility and structure I need at the same time.

This morning I almost binged- almost went and got two milkshakes like I used to when I was food-hoarding (long story- but I was always worried one wouldn't be enough so I would get another to have later, etc.) Anyways, I'll admit these feelings are scaring me a bit because they have been just on the back burner and not coming to a full boil like recently.

I need to just look back and reflect on how far I've come already and that I've conquered it so many times already (I think this is week 19 omg???). I guess that's normal when you feel like it's automatic and you loosen up a bit.

I will definitely be taking time to work on the mental side this weekend! I just have been feeling blah lately all-around- can't get up for work, avoid going in, feel like crap/sick, always tired, etc. When I was feeling like that a week or two ago, I took a break on fasting and it's been difficult to get back on it. The one super positive is that it isn't anything compared to how I used to be just a year ago (and for soooo long before that, too) before I went to my doctor and a therapist to get help and finally started taking depression/anxiety medicine for it that I was avoiding. This just feels like a funk or rut, not a permanent state of being. I can definitely shake myself out of it!

Mental health weekend coming up! I know I need to work on my mental game!
  • snaps27
    Options
    @thecarbmonster keep your chin up. We are all here for you. Double smiley face for you :D:D
  • thecarbmonster
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Thanks! I already feel better after venting haha. Sometimes I still get caught up in old struggles and I just need to step back, identify them, and try to tackle them all over again. Just because I was ignoring them and was doing okay without focusing on them doesn't mean they went away lol!
  • snaps27
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm with you @thecarbmonster...I have had my hand in the cookie jar way too much lately and I need to identify why I'm doing it to myself. Self-sabotage and feeding emotions...and the old, I had something savory, now I need to have something sweet! So controlled on fast day, but so not on the others.

But this is why we have the forum...to help us vent...even if we're talking to ourselves I think it helps :blush: