Share Your NSV Today

Options
Laughter_Girl
Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
Hi all! I enjoy celebrating all my non-scale victories, and I thought it would be nice for us to share at least one a day until the end of the year with one another. I hope I'm not in this alone. As black women, we have so much more to celebrate besides the number on the scale. :D

I'll go first.

I ran 5 miles today, and it was the first time ever!!! Yeah me!

Replies

• Flawless_K
    Flawless_K Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I enjoy celebrating all my non-scale victories, and I thought it would be nice for us to share at least one a day until the end of the year with one another. I hope I'm not in this alone. As black women, we have so much more to celebrate besides the number on the scale. :D

I'll go first.

I ran 5 miles today, and it was the first time ever!!! Yeah me!

WOW! 5 Miles!!! Go Girl !!! I didn't have a NSV today. I am just starting out and just became "active" on this site. But, I would love for my NSV to be to NOT eat with my eyes all the time! OR to not eat out of boredom, sadness, happiness and etc. Fingers crossed that I stop emotional eating in 2015 (or I mean...right now)!
  • Laughter_Girl
    Options
    Hey Flawless_K!!! Thanks for joining in.

There's always a NSV on the horizon though; completely logging everything for a day, drinking your water, exercising (some rarely do it), exercising longer or harder, fitting in a new size, fitting your current clothes more loosely, receiving a compliment, admiring something about your body, decrease in measurements, feeling better, having more energy, trying a new healthy food, going through an entire day w/out emotional eating :wink:, etc. I know you'll have an NSV today!!!!

In my opinion, anything not related to the scale that leads to or reflects a healthier me, is definitely worth celebrating.
  • 40andFindingFitness
    Options
    My most recent NSV was someone telling me that my thighs looked thinner. After a 2 second pause of me thinking, "Why are you looking at my thighs??" :s I smiled and said thank you. :#
  • Laughter_Girl
    Options
    Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha. Well, congrats on the thinner looking thighs! It's amazing the areas of the body people focus on.
  • 40andFindingFitness
    Options
    LOL thanks. I'm looking at my tummy and hips and folks are paying attention to my thighs. I'll take it though. Kudos to you too for running five miles. I still can't run all of five minutes. At least we are all making some sort of progress.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Mine was doing 28 modified push-ups! Every week I add 3 to the count, my goal is to get to 50, 1/2 modified and 1/2 regular!
  • Laughter_Girl
    Options
    NSV today: I was able to start AND finish my strength training workout for arms with the 5 lb. weights. In the past, I was only able to get a little more than halfway through it before swapping 5 lbs. for the 3 lb. weights. Those were the longest 10 minutes, but I made it without skipping any of the moves. Ha, ha, ha, ha.

40andFinding Fitness - Thanks for the kudos on the 5 mile run. Early this year, I couldn't run 5 minutes either. Heck, it was a struggle to run a minute; however, I started with the C25K app, and here I am today a runner. Regarding the thighs, yes, take every compliment that comes your way. And I must say, the very body part we think people are concentrating on is very rarely the same body part we ourselves obsess about. It's the weirdest thing. :)

Adc7225 - Congratulations on the push-ups! That's impressive. I'm such a weakling, but I hope to get there some day. Maybe I should start with 5 a week and work my way up? The only way I'll ever get better is if I start. You've inspired me. ;)
  • Adc7225
    Options
    Thanks Laughter_Girl, when there is an exercise I struggle with or really don't like, I make it my personal challenge to master it. A little at a time, it started when a trainer made me do bicycle crunches. I did them every week until I could do 130, 3 times a week. Now I am working on Jumping Jacks, Push-Ups and Jumping Rope. I am 46 and at 5'2" I was 244 lbs all through my 30's into my 40's - trust me when I say you can anything you put your mind too :D
  • Laughter_Girl
    Options
    NSV today: Took a quick glance at my stomach and thought to myself, my tummy is starting to look flatter. Sweet!

Where are your NSV's ladies?????
  • Laughter_Girl
    Options
    NSV 12-24: Purchased a pair of jeans in a size 9 after trying on several bigger sizes. I never could have imagined it. (*)

NSV 12-25: Celebrated my 1 year anniversary on MFP. I have been consistently logging my meals and exercise since day 1. Woohoo!!!!
  • Laughter_Girl
    Options
    NSV today: I was doing a new strength training routine and my arms became extremely fatigued. I was real close to switching to lighter weights, but I stayed the course. I really pushed myself, and I'm proud of me. :)
  • Adc7225
    Options
    I made through my treadmill workout with ease, running intervals, 1.15 min at 4.0 mph, with
    0.45 at 6.0-6.2 mph, at incline 3.00. Also, did my 28 modified push-up and jumped rope. I also had an emotional breakdown at the grocery store, purchased ice cream and frozen pizza - but managed to pick only one to indulge in today!
  • Laughter_Girl
    Options
    NSV today: Someone asked if I was wearing a size 6. Although I am not close to that size, the person was quite sincere, which made me feel great. I'm not aiming for any particular size, but what I do want is to be in the healthy BMI range.

Adc7225 - Congrats on your success on the treadmill! I'm so afraid of running on the treadmill. That would probably be a disaster for me and those around me. I have to run on a non-mobile surface. :D Also, way to have some self-control with that ice cream and frozen pizza. You and I would probably make great friends. I LOVE ice cream (don't keep it in the house) and frozen pizza, which I don't keep in the house because of the sodium. Who can eat just one slice of frozen pizza. Therefore, I buy fresh pizza instead. Ha, ha, ha, ha. It has less sodium.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Options
    NSV 12-28: Can officially say that I have run in a light rain and snow all in the same run. It was an NSV because I didn't let the weather stop me from getting my exercise in.

NSV 12-29: I laughed at myself for trying to keep some embarrassingly too big pajama bottoms up with just a drawstring. I am amazed that they use to fit snugly. Such progress.
  • Adc7225
    Options
    My NSV for today was walking in the cold and wind, I knew it would take at least a mile before I warmed up so I kept going. I figured, at least it was dry.
    NSV 12-29: I laughed at myself for trying to keep some embarrassingly too big pajama bottoms up with just a drawstring. I am amazed that they use to fit snugly. Such progress.

That's funny . . . I was thinking while running on the treadmill this morning that I need to add a drawstring to my workout pants, my butt is too big for the x-small pants and the small are too big in the waist.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Options
    NSV today: I had full control of my food intake today. It was definitely not a normal day for me, and in the past, I would have grazed on chips and junk throughout the day, but not today. Today, I paced myself accordingly and made healthy choices. It feels good to have control.

Adc7225 - You had me at x-small and small. You are so petite. :D Congrats on running in the frigid weather today! I'll be out there tomorrow completing a 5K. It seemed like a bright idea a couple of months ago.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Options
    NSV today 12/31: I walked 3.1 miles in very cold, frigid weather. It was reported that it felt like 1 degree below zero. The wind chill was ridiculous, but I made it. Yeah!
  • Adc7225
    Options
    Dang girl! You are my shero for that :D

I made it to the gym and did 30 minutes of interval running at an incline on the treadmill! I so wanted to stop after 10 minutes!
  • Laughter_Girl
    Options
    Adc7225 - You rock for doing the full 30 minutes! It's so easy for me to quit, but my MFP slogan is "Exceptional people don't quit." You are exceptional!!!
  • haislip93
    Options
    I could never ride the stationary bike because the seat was super small and it hurt too much. However , I was able to do a full 8 mile round on the machine. I was too hype!!