Kitchen equipment you can't live without?

Options
2»

Replies

• nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    Without a doubt, cast iron skillet. Most versatile piece of kitchen equipment ever.

I usually agree with you Johnson, but not this time. I just bought ceramic coated pans (no Teflon) and they are so good. I use to hate scraping things that got stuck to cast iron pans. The ceramic coated pans don't stick at all, its like magic.

Dan the Man from Michigan

I've got some of these. Love Love Love them.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've come to the conclusion that I really need a food processor, especially if I ever want to make cauliflower rice or mashed cauliflower (which I definitely do).

My daughter uses a cheese grater to rice her raw cauliflower while raw....and a fork/potato masher for the cooked stuff - and she makes less of a mess than i do with my cuisinart.

I love my food dehydrator, but I don't keep it in the kitchen...its too big. You can run the thing in the garage if you need to! Doubles as a space heater...lol

I love making jerky....all kinds....and I like playing around with raw food recipes. making my own spice mixes, etc. Anyone needs some dehydrated okra???

I'd have to ultimately vote for decent pots and pans, and knives though, and the digital scale. That's three things, but I get all three because they can be stashed off-counter. Oh, I get my little coffee whipper thingy too. it fits in the kitchen drawer.

I change my vote to my macbook air. thats always in the kitchen, and on the counter.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Without a doubt, cast iron skillet. Most versatile piece of kitchen equipment ever.

I usually agree with you Johnson, but not this time. I just bought ceramic coated pans (no Teflon) and they are so good. I use to hate scraping things that got stuck to cast iron pans. The ceramic coated pans don't stick at all, its like magic.

LOL, Dan! I'm glad you like your pans. I've never had to scrape stuff off my cast iron skillet. Maybe I use too much fat in the pan!

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options

LOL, Dan! I'm glad you like your pans. I've never had to scrape stuff off my cast iron skillet. Maybe I use too much fat in the pan!

Could be Johnson. And, I used them decades ago. I'm remember cooking French fries in them and they stuck all the time. Maybe if I wasn't cooking hi-carb starches, they would behave properly?

But then again, I don't like the heaviness of the cast iron pans, it seems to me I had to hand wash them as opposed to dishwashing... oh well.... ;)

I hope this helps,

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,570 Member
    Options

Could be Johnson. And, I used them decades ago. I'm remember cooking French fries in them and they stuck all the time. Maybe if I wasn't cooking hi-carb starches, they would behave properly?

But then again, I don't like the heaviness of the cast iron pans, it seems to me I had to hand wash them as opposed to dishwashing... oh well.... ;)

I hope this helps,

I hand-wash my ceramic coated pans. They are hard anodized on the exterior, so it's better for them and they are so easy to clean that it is barely a chore.

• zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    • COFFEE MAKER!!! (old school. I grind my own beans and use a metal mesh filter basket)
    • cast iron pans
    • crock pot
    • salad spinner
    • convection toaster oven (I use this probably 3-4x as often as the regular oven. It cooks faster and more evenly)
    • SodaStream (I'm better about drinking water when I can have it fizzy)