Another newbie...

Options
84wweber
84wweber Posts: 97 Member
Hi everyone. I wanted to introduce myself. I recently came across Eat, Fast, and Live Longer and decided I'd give 5:2 a try. Actually, I'm starting with a slightly more extended fast and then since I have about 60 pounds I'd like to lose, I was going to see if I can handle 4:3. I tried posting my very low calorie food choices in the diary yesterday and MFP yelled at me and told me to keep posting, so I guess you guys don't post on Fast days, right?

Replies

• eychenn
    eychenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! What I do on fast days is "quick add" the remaining calories, just to keep it even.

Good luck with the fasting! It gets easier as the weeks go by. The group is very supportive too :)
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the mfp message. If you want your completed diary to show I your thread....
    Add quick cals (1000), complete diary,go back to diary and delete the added cals. It's a work around. Mfp isn't really built for fast days
  • 84wweber
    84wweber Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    It is really about personal accountability. Plus we all have peaks and valleys with good days and bad. Just dust off and get back on it. 60 pounds will take at least 6-9 months. 4:3 is a good way to compensate for holidays and over indulgences but harder to sustain. Dont get too locked into the scale weight as it fluctuates but take your measurements.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    MFP doesnt handle variable caloire amounts well, so you need to find a workaround.

Your choices are:

Ignore the message.
    Log your foods but don't hit "close diary"
    Invent a food that is worth 1200-500 calories and add that in (then go back and take it out)
  • iwannabeonthebeach
    iwannabeonthebeach Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hello all - another newbie to 5:2 here (and a Brit!). Glad I found this group as I was wondering how MFP coped with Fast days. I've spent ages checking the Help section and fiddling with my settings - I should have looked here first! This week I'm psyching myself up to have my first Fast day, researching recipes, meal plans etc. I have a lot to lose (40 pounds +) but I'm looking forward to the journey with a little help from some MFP friends :wink:
  • char_88
    char_88 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I've only done a week on the 5:2 diet so far but I've lost 4lbs already! I'm aiming to lost around 45lbs. The fast days have been a bit of a struggle but I'm pleased I've stuck to it.
    I've heard there are slight variations to it, I fast for 24hrs then I break the fast with a 500cal meal. Is that what other people do too?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    There are indeed a number of variations, and it can be a bit of trial and error to see which works best for the individual.

I adopt the "eat at maintenance -sleep-eat 500 cals - sleep - eat at maintenance" approach. This gives a longer "fast" period and doesn't get me all confused with counting hours.
  • suttercm
    suttercm Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    New here too. Today is my first "fast" day. I am fasting for 15 hours, then eating 500 calories throughout the rest of the day. I have lost 48 lbs in the last couple of years, have 20 to go.
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Yet another newby, and another Brit. I have been on the 5:2 for 10 days now but I am also uping the exercise, this has given me a small weight gain.

Thanks for the work round on logging fast days. I have about 30 lbs to go.
  • clickchick52
    clickchick52 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all - Newbie here too ... I did 5:2 briefly a few weeks ago and was sidelined by a temporary illness. Am back again and ready to go - with 40 lbs. to lose. I could use all the friends and support I can get!
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40 at least and want to go 10 more. Feel free to add me I've been doing 5:2 nearly 2 years and love it.
  • Leamac83
    Leamac83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, i'm new to this group but not to mfp. I started doing the fast diet last week, for me its the long term health benefits i'm interested in most but also dropping a few stubborn pounds is a bonus. I found the fast days last week ok, i did stick to my 500 cals but think i overdone it at the weekend because I gained 2 pounds. Is this normal in the beginning? I do a lot of training, like running and insanity workout so i'm really not sure what is real 'weight loss' and what is just water/muscle. I've never done a fast before as always had it drummed into me that it was not good for your muscles. After reading The Fast Diet book i've completely changed my way of thinking. Really looking forward to hearing some of your tips and success stories. :)
  • lulu1066
    lulu1066 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hi newbie gals - we're all starting together and will keep each other going with the help of people who have been doing this successfully. Janette you're our role model/drill sergeant! x
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Leamac83 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, i'm new to this group but not to mfp. I started doing the fast diet last week, for me its the long term health benefits i'm interested in most but also dropping a few stubborn pounds is a bonus. I found the fast days last week ok, i did stick to my 500 cals but think i overdone it at the weekend because I gained 2 pounds. Is this normal in the beginning? I do a lot of training, like running and insanity workout so i'm really not sure what is real 'weight loss' and what is just water/muscle. I've never done a fast before as always had it drummed into me that it was not good for your muscles. After reading The Fast Diet book i've completely changed my way of thinking. Really looking forward to hearing some of your tips and success stories. :)

Your weight does jump around in an exagerated way when doing 5:2 - makes it harder to see the trend.

My experience when losing weight was that 5:2 suited a heavy exercise load very well, the normal days keep your glycogen topped up which helps exercise performance and also helps recovery. I managed to add a small amount of LBM whilst losing fat.

Over a period of time you adjust to fasted training as well which really boosted my cycling endurance and reduced the need to feed on long rides.

Maintenance on a 6:1 also works well - gives me 6 days at a small surplus so for the majority of the week I'm recreating "clean bulk" conditions without getting heavier.

• iwannabeonthebeach
    Options
    Hello all - another newbie to 5:2 here (and a Brit!). Glad I found this group as I was wondering how MFP coped with Fast days. I've spent ages checking the Help section and fiddling with my settings - I should have looked here first! This week I'm psyching myself up to have my first Fast day, researching recipes, meal plans etc. I have a lot to lose (40 pounds +) but I'm looking forward to the journey with a little help from some MFP friends :wink:

Well I survived my first Fast Day yesterday and came in on 590 cals, the extra mainly coming from fresh fruit and extra cups of tea with skimmed milk so nothing "naughty". I overdid the portion sizes with my lunch and couldn't finish it all, then I got some hunger pangs in the middle of the afternoon which I overcame with a cup of tea, an email chat with an MFP buddy and a healthy dose of ignoring them. Next Fast Day is on Wednesday and as OH is out for the evening it should be easier (said with love ;)) as I plan a strictly all veggie dinner.

Hope everyone's week got off to a good start!
  • lulu1066
    lulu1066 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    well done missus!
  • iwannabeonthebeach
    Options
    At the end of my second FD and the hunger pangs have been bad :-( I can't even go to bed yet because I need to pick my son up later, sitting here with sime fizzy water and trying to ignore them. Please tell me it gets easier!
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    It gets easier. Trying doing something you enjoy to take your mind off the hunger pangs.
  • kcd1961
    kcd1961 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It's just a message, it won't break anything or send an alert to the National Diet Police. I log my fast days (sometimes the Nett is negative) - I'm still here.