Work lunches

Options
Umekochan
Umekochan Posts: 9 Member
I have been a huge fan of the omelette of late rather than a wrap of a sandwich and have been having fun finding new things to put in it.

Today it's beetroot and walnut spread with roasted peppers and onions which is only 221 calories!

What sandwich alternatives do you go for?

Replies

• ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'd call it an alternative, but I have just discovered homemade olive paste -- black olives, capers, a little olive oil. I'm not big on mayo, so this is a good option for me on sandwiches.

Beetroot sounds wonderful. Love beets!
  • madeleineld
    madeleineld Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Umekochan, do you make the omelet at home and then reheat it at work? Is it good in the microwave?
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I eat NO sandwiches, I use lettuce leaves, soups, salads, leftovers, tuna and celery, tuna lettuce wraps, tuna in tomato, lunch meat and veggies rolled up, mini pepper "nachos" with cold shredded chicken, chicken salad in lettuce leaves, egg salad, deviled eggs...
  • Umekochan
    Options
    Umekochan, do you make the omelet at home and then reheat it at work? Is it good in the microwave?

I have it cold but if you take it out the fridge to come to room temperature first and then put it in for 30 seconds at a time it heats up nicely without going rubbery

• Umekochan
    Options
    Today was caponata... it was seriously amazing.

cindytw the problem I find is transporting this stuff to work without it turning into complete mush/leaking everywhere. Salad wraps are a lovely thing to do properly at home but they just don't work for me at work :(
  • ryanr23
    Options
    I have been using sweet bell peppers instead of bread...cut the top and bottom off, slice it in half the long way and voila! Really good, and crunchy
  • mystic81
    mystic81 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Half an avocado, garlic powder, half a can of No Salt Added chickpeas, squeeze of lime, salt & pepper to taste. Sooo good! I've had this on bread and over lettuce and veggies. Super quick to mash up at work.
  • mom2boys43
    mom2boys43 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of the mason jar lunches. I make 4-5 at a time and then I just grab one in the morning. If you pack them tightly they stay fresh. I have made mixed salads (I dump it into a bowl at work for easier eating, I even add chopped avocado and just put a slice of lemon on top of the avocado layer and it stays green vs. brown and slimy. I also like quinoa with a balsamic dressing, chopped chicken and whatever else you like such as cranberries and scallions. When I do these, I am much better about having a decent satisfying lunch each day.
  • CanadianCountryGirl1973
    Options
    I just discovered Mason Jar salads too! It is soooo much easier than taking bunches of different containers! And it's way more interesting to make your lunch at night than the "traditional" way that gets boring!
  • tvn4ds
    tvn4ds Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    mom2boys43 wrote: »
    I am a fan of the mason jar lunches....
    Did you just google this to find out about them? I'm intrigued....

• top_mom
    top_mom Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    mason jar salad? never heard of this.. going to look online now!
  • isalo1300
    isalo1300 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Onigiri! They're rice balls. Since in Japan rice is they're staple not bread they make onigiri as opposed to sandwiches. Use brown rice instead of white and put whatever you want inside. Tuna and mayo is popular, so is some veggies, cream cheese and salmon. I like to put marinated tofu from last night's stir-fry in! It's really feeling because of the rice. Oh and don't forget to wrap it in nori! (That's roasted seaweed ;))
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I like making "egg roll" wrappers. I scramble up some eggs using one whole egg and one egg white for two wrappers. I use my crepe pan and pour the egg mixture into the pan moving the pan around to create a thin "egg roll" wrap. Once cooled I fill the wrapper with whatever, tuna or chicken salad, leftover proteins from the night before, some veggies, and maybe a little cheese. Then I roll it up like an egg roll, burrito, or sandwich wrap. They pack beautifully and reheat well in the microwave on half power.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Umekochan wrote: »
    Today was caponata... it was seriously amazing.

cindytw the problem I find is transporting this stuff to work without it turning into complete mush/leaking everywhere. Salad wraps are a lovely thing to do properly at home but they just don't work for me at work :(

I eat them at work too. I use small containers or baggies for the fillings and then bring the veggies for it separately. I just spoon the fillings into the veggies as I eat it.
  • minamu68
    Options
    I live near a Trader Joe's and a Mom's Organic Market, and they have nice things to bring for lunch, as I don't have time to cook. Today I had Amy's tofu and vegetable lasagna, which is much better than it may sound. No meat or cheese, but still good and satisfying. I usually also have either white or green tea with lunch.
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorite lunches. It's a sub that uses a cucumber as the "bread." Cut a whole cucumber in half, scoop out the seeds, and fill with whatever you like...lunch meat, cream cheese, lots of fresh veggies, hummus, chicken/tuna/egg salad, a little salmon. The possibilities are endless. The one in this picture had lean deli turkey, ham, and roast beef, cream cheese with assorted veggies finely chopped and mixed in, and baby spinach leaves. I made mango and avocado slices as the side. For me this is better than a burger and fries any day!
    bczpla24q24x.jpg
  • ptrevino25
    Options
    This is one of my favorite lunches. It's a sub that uses a cucumber as the "bread." Cut a whole cucumber in half, scoop out the seeds, and fill with whatever you like...lunch meat, cream cheese, lots of fresh veggies, hummus, chicken/tuna/egg salad, a little salmon. The possibilities are endless. The one in this picture had lean deli turkey, ham, and roast beef, cream cheese with assorted veggies finely chopped and mixed in, and baby spinach leaves. I made mango and avocado slices as the side. For me this is better than a burger and fries any day!
    bczpla24q24x.jpg

I don't like cucumber, but I must say that looks delicious! I Have To Give It A try
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    bczpla24q24x.jpg

Omg this looks awesome! I am extremely curious as to how cucumber will work as a breading but I am totally trying it!!!

I enjoy making southwestern wraps. Corn, beans, a little bit of light chipoltle mayo or fiest ranch, chopped tomatos on a skinny girl tortilla. Mmm.
  • yturie47
    yturie47 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Bump! Truly, a picture is worth a thousand words.
  • jquarequio
    jquarequio Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bczpla24q24x.jpg
    That looks awesome.Thanks for tomorrow's lunch