Work lunches

Options

Replies

• kaz1350
    kaz1350 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    mom2boys43 wrote: »
    I am a fan of the mason jar lunches. I make 4-5 at a time and then I just grab one in the morning. If you pack them tightly they stay fresh. I have made mixed salads (I dump it into a bowl at work for easier eating, I even add chopped avocado and just put a slice of lemon on top of the avocado layer and it stays green vs. brown and slimy. I also like quinoa with a balsamic dressing, chopped chicken and whatever else you like such as cranberries and scallions. When I do these, I am much better about having a decent satisfying lunch each day.

I love mason jar lunches - today are red, yellow and orange bell peppers, then a cucumber layer, a bit of onion, then cherry tomatoes, then Trader Joe FF feta crumbles and then I cram as much spinach into the top as I can get. I have a packet of tuna to put in for lunch. Homemade dressing - lemon juice with a bit of Olive Oil. Delish

• superraachel
    superraachel Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Lemon slice on top of an avocado! Amazing cucumber "sandwich"! This thread is full of awesome ideas!

I do a lot of lettuce wraps. I use romaine, and can only get a few wraps out of the outer leaves, and use the rest chopped up for salads. I love little containers for my wrap/salad fixings so nothing gets soggy and wilty. I'm also a big fan of dinner leftovers for work lunch. I just make an extra serving or two of dinner and pack it up for the fridge or freezer. I don't think I've eaten a traditional sandwich in a long time.
  • fifty6ford
    fifty6ford Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I make multiple batches of different soups in a weekend and portion them out for both my husband and myself and pop them in the freezer.

Just a couple of weeks ago I made wedding soup, white bean turkey chili, taco soup, 16 bean and ham soup and sausage tortellini soup (with turkey sausage and no tortellini until I am ready to have it).

Always great for a quick light dinner also!
  • Candylou11
    Candylou11 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorite lunches. It's a sub that uses a cucumber as the "bread." Cut a whole cucumber in half, scoop out the seeds, and fill with whatever you like...lunch meat, cream cheese, lots of fresh veggies, hummus, chicken/tuna/egg salad, a little salmon. The possibilities are endless. The one in this picture had lean deli turkey, ham, and roast beef, cream cheese with assorted veggies finely chopped and mixed in, and baby spinach leaves. I made mango and avocado slices as the side. For me this is better than a burger and fries any day!
    bczpla24q24x.jpg

What a great idea!- Thanks.
  • hazycook
    Options
    There are some great ideas on here, and many I can use. Love the "Egg Roll Wrappers" idea and ive seen some mason jars idea. Love this trend! Thanks guys! Im borderline diabetic-numbers are just high enough to notice but not high enough to go on meds and the whole routine...which I'd like to avoid. Would love to share recipes, please friend me.
  • 1HappyRedhead
    1HappyRedhead Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Loving these ideas! Thanks everyone for sharing!! :smile:
  • 1HappyRedhead
    1HappyRedhead Posts: 413 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    minamu68 wrote: »
    I live near a Trader Joe's and a Mom's Organic Market, and they have nice things to bring for lunch, as I don't have time to cook. Today I had Amy's tofu and vegetable lasagna, which is much better than it may sound. No meat or cheese, but still good and satisfying. I usually also have either white or green tea with lunch.

Love Trader Joe's! Can't say enough about their stuffed peppers! (stuffed with ground turkey, rice, and spices)
    Low cal, yummy & filling, microwave 2 min, $4.99 for a two pepper package, total 360 cals. This is my go to lunch/dinner/anytime, sometimes 3 times a week!
  • top_mom
    top_mom Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Love all these ideas.. so nice to switch lunches up a bit once in a while! Love the cucumber sandwich idea a lot.. will be trying that out for sure! For me, the trick is to be organized and not wait until theres not enough time to get things ready to take with me in the morning.
  • KiraJade88
    KiraJade88 Posts: 45
    edited January 2015
    Options
    avocado, tomato, sprouts & pepper jack with chive spread
    bh3dyojxty55.jpg
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Oh man, that ^^^^ looks so good!
  • CanadianCountryGirl1973
    Options
    I decided this week to put my "weekly soup" in a cleaned out 2L juice container and leave it in the staff fridge (marked). Daily, I have my soup (this week's is a carrot one at 84 cals per cup) and I don't have to think about tupperware, spillage, and "bringing" it,.... it's already there!
  • beachbum4044
    beachbum4044 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I will be researching the mason jars. I have been making a salad each night to take for lunch. Trying to save those leftovers for my husband if I can.
  • DragonForged
    Options
    My favorite go to quick and healthy lunch is 1/2 a bag of frozen veggies, 3-6oz frozen chicken + 1/2 Tsb of olive oil, and a few shakes of garlic salt, & Italian seasoning. Just stick in a microwavable Tupperware container and nuke in 1min increments until warm (about 4 min) Its great for when your in a rush in the morning and just need to throw something healthy together.
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorite lunches. It's a sub that uses a cucumber as the "bread." Cut a whole cucumber in half, scoop out the seeds, and fill with whatever you like...lunch meat, cream cheese, lots of fresh veggies, hummus, chicken/tuna/egg salad, a little salmon. The possibilities are endless. The one in this picture had lean deli turkey, ham, and roast beef, cream cheese with assorted veggies finely chopped and mixed in, and baby spinach leaves. I made mango and avocado slices as the side. For me this is better than a burger and fries any day!
    bczpla24q24x.jpg

THAT is pretty damn cool!!
  • Suezyq47
    Suezyq47 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I like this:

Open-faced Avocado Egg Salad:
    1 hard boiled egg chopped
    1/4 avocado chopped
    2 tsp Old Fashioned Dijon mustard
    1/4 tsp minced garlic
    1 tsp lemon juice

Combine above and spread over multigrain bread (I like squirrely bread)
  • ob1baloo
    ob1baloo Posts: 5 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I find meals on the go really tough but there were some great ideas here.
    Because I am wheat, dairy and egg free (not by choice) more often than not I end up eating something I shouldn't or just not eating.
    New here and loved the ideas!
    Thanks
  • lisaclark2015
    lisaclark2015 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    mom2boys43 wrote: »
    I am a fan of the mason jar lunches. I make 4-5 at a time and then I just grab one in the morning. If you pack them tightly they stay fresh. I have made mixed salads (I dump it into a bowl at work for easier eating, I even add chopped avocado and just put a slice of lemon on top of the avocado layer and it stays green vs. brown and slimy. I also like quinoa with a balsamic dressing, chopped chicken and whatever else you like such as cranberries and scallions. When I do these, I am much better about having a decent satisfying lunch each day.

• lisaclark2015
    lisaclark2015 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is a awesome idea I am going to do this;) thanks.
  • nliette
    nliette Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I bought one of the lunch crockpots. Love it!!! I freeze lunch size meals in red solo cups; then cut way and pop in the crock. Today is chicken in garlic sauce. Others: spaghetti squash w/sauce, zuchini with chicken breast, homemade soups, nachos (layer refried beans, onions/peppers, chicken), baked potato with toppings, any leftovers.
  • Frisbeelinda
    Options
    bczpla24q24x.jpg