Daily check-in: Something catchy that rhymes with January!

Options

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    A mixed day at the gym. Had planned to work out during the day at coworker's gym with her but she had something come up so in the end I went around 9pm to my gym. More people this time than last week and it was hard to get the squat rack at first. Then had people moving around behind while doing the squats, so I may go later on Thursday's if I keep that as one of my lifting days. Tried my new shorts and decided they are for cardio days because they bugged me during the squats. Glad the shirt I had was long cause had to pull up the back after the sets but the legs in front were too tight when I went down. Just bugged me overall, so they are for running. Still nice to fit into a large but I'll need to find different shorts next time I have money for lifting.

Workout B in exact order performed

OHP - 5x5 @ 60 lb fixed bar so I had to clean it to do the lift. Had one shaky middle set where I struggled to get into position but think I'll be able to do 65 next time I can do it with the regular bar. Guy asked if I was using the 60 after my first set when I was resting then made a "good on you" type of comment when he found out I was.

Leg Press - 3x8 @ 160 - Lazy on the math so I just put the 35's on instead of figuring out which plates I'd need to do 150. It actually wasn't too bad though I tried to rush at the end when the squat rack was free but my right knee calmed that down quick.

Squat - warm up a couple light reps with low bar, then 140 again 5x5. It's still tough but I'm going to try 145 next time.

Deadlift - 135 warm up set then... one set at 175. Just nee to lose 2 more lbs and that will be body weight. Woot! (Or I'll just do 185 next time and that will be over what I weigh.)

30 minutes walk on treadmill for the finale.

Also, I signed up for an early summer 5k so I'll have to be ready by June 12th. It's a neon glow run so at night, wearing neon and with glow sticks. Speed won't be an issue and as long as I can go 5k within a few hours, it's all good. I think I'll start training for it in March when it's a bit warmer outside. And I can use a couple of my paid days off from work for it too. Going to be a lot of fun.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Ohhh I can totally relate to Idle Hands (the movie and the concept and omg, I had a huuuuuuuge crush on Devon Sawa in the 90's and 2000's lol).

I was so busy yesterday I don't think I stopped moving until I went to bed. Squeezed in a workout, though. It's deload week so I combined OHP and DL's. I also did that because I have plans tonight and won't be able to workout and f**k working out on the weekend lol.

DL - 5@80, 5@100, 5@120lbs
    OHP - 5@45, 5@55, 5@65lbs

Paused Squats - 3x10 @‌ 125lbs
    Bench pyramid (no rest between sets) - 8@82.5, 10@72.5, 15@62.5, 20@52.5lbs

I'm tired today.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Today's workout!

third world squat 5x8

Squat 5x6 75 (up in reps)
    Bench Press, Barbell 5 6 55
    Barbell Row, Bent-over 5 7 65

Convict Conditioning Step 2 Horizontal Pulls 5x8

These are terrific and my new bench is awesome! No wobble in the bench press!!
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I took it a little bit easy today (reduced my accessories) because I went for a run last night and for some reason it really made my legs achy. Maybe because the path I was running on still had some slick spots that I was dodging.

Anyway, I was on Workout B today:
    Squats 5x5@100 lbs. I am back up in triple digits after dropping down a bit to work on form. These felt tough but I think form was good. I might repeat here next time.
    OHP 5x5@50 lbs. These felt a lot better today at a repeat weight - no arching of my back this time! I will try to get to 55 lbs next time.
    Deadlift 1x5@95 lbs to warm up and work on form a bit, then I ended up doing 2x5@115 lbs for my working weight. I added the extra set to continue to work on form using the higher weight.

For accessory work I did a few heel raises and lunges, good mornings 3x10@50 lbs, and finished up with 45 minutes walking on the treadmill.

I hope everyone has a great weekend! Go Colts!!!
  • fothers365
    fothers365 Posts: 59 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Work out B this morning for me, second time doing it.

Squats- 5x5 @ 27.5kg (60lb)
    OHP 4x5 then 1x4 with the bar only 20kg(44lb)
    DL 1x5 @ 35kg (77lb)

The OHP were not quite as bad as first time I did them. I struggled less but couldn't get the last one out in the last set. I think maybe if I had rested longer between the sets I might have done but I am happy to stick at the bar weight for these next time I do them.

Lots of walking up and down steep hills to school with the kids and out with the dog so plenty other exercise.

I am looking forward to the 40kg DL next B work out :smile:

Have a great weekend everyone.
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I forgot to check in yesterday, but it was a boring cardio day: 45 minutes of aerobics dancing (that are getting easier and funnier, I must admit), and 12 burpees (hey, remember I was starting from a PR record of one ;). In fact, I probably made more than 12, but I was unable to keep the count, so let's say it was 12. I was definitely hungrier than other recovery days, but cardio helped me save my precious 700 cals deficit. Thank you, boring cardio.

Today, workout A. I did not make a lot of progress. There was this guy in the gym (again) that insisted on putting my bar in my power cage (the same one, at least), he is kind of funny, monopolizing two bars all the time. I was wearing my shirt saying: You don't know squat, and for a matter of fact, he didn't. He was half-squatting all the time he was in that cage, so my ironic shirt was really on point.

So.

Warm up: 12 minutes elliptical.

Squat 1x5 @45lbs 1x5 @55lbs, 1x5@65 lbs and 5x5 @ 80lbs. I should have done 85, but when I started doing the first 80 sets, it was clear that I wouldn't be able to do 5 85 sets, so I repeated 80, and I may repeat it again on monday.

Barbell row 1x5 @45, 5x5 @55lbs. I repeated last workout load 'cause the form is still horrible. I'll work on that this weekend.

Bench press 1x5 @45, 5x5 @ 50lbs. I wanted to do 55 lbs, but no, I my arms were already struggling at 50, so 50 it was. Maybe I'll do 55 Monday.

Then, I rolled my quads and my back a little, and I ran to work.

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I feel like I need to check in to let you all know I'm taking a rest day today. Like a real one. With no yoga or running or anything of the sorts. I'll stretch and foam roll a bit tonight. That's it. Maybe throw in a few push-ups to grease the groove. And I feel great about it! =D

So yes, Kro does have REAL rest days from time to time ;)
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your rest! Seriously, rest days are wonderful. ;)
  • haley183
    haley183 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Did workout B last night:

Squats 5x5 @ 90 lbs
    OHP 5x5 @ 55 lbs
    Deadlift 1x5 @‌ 125 lbs

Everything felt pretty good. The OHP was getting pretty tough by the end but I pushed through. My form definitely suffered there towards the end too. Think I'll probably stay at 55 lbs again next time.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Holy crap kro - you do take rest days?!

Had a crappy lift this morning

Squat 5x5 @‌ 165lbs
    OHP 3,4,3,4,2 @ 72lbs. Crap. Stupid OHP
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 190lbs then 1x4 @ 210lbs - felt so fricken heavy today :neutral_face:
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Wow I am in absolute awe of some of the numbers I see here. It makes me feel extra mad at myself that I was so crappy in December otherwise maybe I would be up there too. Oh well :( I am where I am and no sense trying to keep up with the Joneses.

I've been sick... again... but I dragged myself in today anyway because I can't just keep NOT lifting. But I pretty much did the bare minimum then ran out because I was not feeling so hot.

Squats - 5x5@75. These seemed fine especially considering I feel weak and sick, so I will be ready to move up next time.
    OHP - 5x5@45, 5x5@45 Good mornings. These were fairly laid back as well. In the past I struggled a lot to move up with OHP so I will begin adding reps next time.
    DL - 1x5@135. This is the only move I didn't deload after my near-month off. It's just so much easier to just put on the 2 45's. I managed it though, although it was hard. I will do this weight again next time and try to do 2 sets, before moving on.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Sorry you're not feeling well, @threnjen. :( And @Psych, since when is 165 squats and 210 on DLs crappy?! That's amazing! And considering I'm still dying at 45 for OHP, I think you're doing pretty damn great!

StrongLifts 5x5 / Workout A

Once again concerned I hadn't had enough to eat beforehand, but it ended up being fine. I'll be glad when I'm in a regular routine and will actually have breakfast at a normal hour and a lunch/snack before the gym. (This starts next week.)

Squats - 5x5 @ 125 lbs.
    - This is the heaviest I've ever squatted! So yay for PR! They were definitely heavy, but I actually felt OK through my legs and back. But I *am* having issues with my arms / wrists. I can't get them in a neutral position due to my shoulder mobility issues, so they end up holding a lot of the weight. I'm going to have to work on this for sure.

Bench Press - 5x5 @ 75 lbs.
    - These felt really good. Very pleased at how the progression is going after my deload.

Barbell Rows - 5x5 @ 77.5 lbs.
    - These also felt pretty great. New form (*kitten* in the air, back parallel to the ground) is making a big difference. But getting heavy, so there were a few I had to muscle up. May stay here one more time.

Accessories:
    Bicep Curls / Seated Dips (alternating sets)
    Curls: 3x12 @ 12.5 lbs.
    - Couldn't find the 15 lbs. dumbbells, so dropped back down to 12.5 and added a few reps.
    Dips: 3x10 @ 95 lbs.
    - I think my plan is to do two exercises every session, and just keep the dips at the same weight for the week, then move up 5 lbs. on Mondays.

Plank - 30 (measly) seconds.
    - I have to try this again later, because my plank challenge calls for 45 seconds today. But my arms may not cooperate. They're not happy with me at the moment.

(1 hour, 33 minutes)
  • MadamChick
    MadamChick Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Just joining this group! I am on week 3 and things are just getting hard. I can't wait to start lifting some big weights. Today I squated with 40lbs....I have a ways to go!

• TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    MadamChick wrote: »
    Just joining this group! I am on week 3 and things are just getting hard. I can't wait to start lifting some big weights. Today I squated with 40lbs....I have a ways to go!

Awesome! Welcome! :)

• psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Welcome @MadamChick‌ !

Haha @crabada‌ luv ya xx
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I had a great lift this morning, and a bit of a revelation with squats. I've read people talk about getting low enough for the hamstrings to kind of "twang" you back. PTs have advised me, and said things like, "lower, lower... there you go!" but I've not really felt anything.
    Last night I did a bit of reading and watching videos, and caught something about long limbed people struggling to get this. Also, about getting so low that you feel your calves touch your thighs. Well, I tried this today and finally felt that elastic reflex. Wow, it really does help.

Squats 5x6 @ 79lb but then quite a few twangy CTT (calf-to-thigh) @ 35lb and @‌

OHP 5x7 @46lb because once again I chickened out of going up. Next time, no excuses.

DL 5 @ 134lb bit of a deload because I'm worried about form and don't really like deadlifts. This wasn't really challenging, but at least it's more than body weight.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    I wanted to get to the gym before yoga and I figured saturday would be pretty dead. I was wrong. There is a lifting competition going on at my big gym today. I would sign up but I'm not ready :)

So I did rows and bench at the big gym and will leave to do squats at the smaller gym (squat and power racks are all reserved except for the rack I hate with immobile safety bars).

Rows repeat 70 5x5. I repeated because I was kipping last time but this time I did fine so will move up to 75 next workout.

Bench repeat 80 5x5 (!!) last time I did 25 reps by doing 8x3 + 1. Today I wanted to prove o could do an actual 5x5 and I did it and it was sort of easy!! I'm really happy.

Will report on squats and yoga later.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Today was a bit of a mixed bag.
    Squat 165 lbs 5x5 these felt great, heavy but I was confident in my form.
    OHP 60 lbs 5x5 working back up from a deload so nothing special.
    DL 205 lbs 1, I got 1 blah last time I got 4 and almost had a 5th.

I have a feeling I know why and it all comes down to fuel. I have been stressed and unhappy which has always led to me eating and eating. This time I just don't want to eat and it was kind of nice that I could just eat when I wanted to and come in under goal. I keep telling myself, it's fine but if it is starting to impact my lifting like this I am going to have to start making sure I get enough fuel.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Wow, today really took a lot out of me. I've been lying on the couch after taking a bath since I got home. The guy running the transformation challenge I'm in came up with this one to test our before and after performance.

6 min to find 1RM front squat from the floor (so basically, a clean or power clean test). My clean technique hasn't had much use lately so these were awkward and shaky and I did manage 120 but it was ugly. (after 1 fail. Also attempted 122.5 and only high-pulled it. There wasn't enough momentum there for me to dip under it, even at full squat clean.)

The good news is in 4 weeks I'm transitioning back to an oly-lift based program, so my end number will be much better :)

Then did an 8 min AMRAP of
    - Deadlift at 175 x2 (the stupid form won't let me write @, it keep serasing my weight and reps when I try to break the line... wtf)
    - 2DB front squat 25x4
    - 2DB Push press 25x6 (these were tough!)

Managed 8 rounds and 2 deadlifts! Was my first time actually following prescribed loads from a WOD, too (albeit the woman loads. Which, well, shouldn't be an insult to myself, lol)

And finished off with 5 rounds for time of
    - Recline row x5
    - burpee x7
    - jump lunge x6/leg
    - KB american swings (all the way to overhead) @35x24

Didn't seem so bad on paper, but at the 3rd round I wanted to die, and I was wheezing and moaning and grunting throughout the entire 5th round but I wanted to make it within the 15 minutes and I did! 14:18! Some really fit guy that was there kept pushing me and giving me props and congratulated me at the end, too. When I was sprawled out on the floor trying to catch my breath. That was pretty cool!

All in all, really good session, but I wouldn't do these every single day O_o
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Part deux:

Slipped into the other gym across town to do squats. I did 125 5x5 again and was happy with them. I will move up next time. The cage at the gym was super close to the mirror and I almost hit my face on my own face getting under the bar. Could've been a gym gaffe.

Also did some lay pulldowns so that I'd spend more than 10 minutes in that gym. I did 3x8 with the plate marked 5 whatever that means.

Then I went over to hot yoga and holy fug it was a workout. I'd never had the instructor before and we were moving. I'm glad I was on a high after my good lifting this morning because otherwise I probably would have cried while hyperventilating like the people on the first day of the biggest loser.

I'm now going to have a beer and hope my face stops being red sometime today.