Daily check-in: Something catchy that rhymes with January!

Options

Replies

• Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Squats 5@45, 5@65, 5x5@110
    Good mornings10@65
    Bench 5x5@65
    Rows 5x5@65

3.5 pull-ups! My pull up bar is really close to the ceiling so they are awkward. I could say I did 4 but the last one was ugly!
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was cardio (cardio is at home) - 40 minutes alternating run/walk. And bonus - I found a new show to watch on Amazon Prime for my cardio days...Agents of Shield!

Today I did:

Squat - 65, 5x5
    Bench - 55, 5x5
    BR - 50, 5x5

I de-loaded on squats after geeking out on a bunch of white-shorts-dude videos. I know I broke parallel today and it overall felt much better. Barbell rows are still feeling awkward, and by the last rep a finally start feeling the right muscles firing -ha!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    wow sumi - that's huge! congratulations.

i didn't go lifting today. i might have overdone the lacrosse-ball treatment and bruised a few spots in my erectors and lats so the idea of lifting with bits of my back feeling weaker than other bits was slightly scary.

today's workout plan is just water and sleep.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Not an overly exciting day. Had to wait for the rack for a bit, so I did my rows with a fixed barbell to kill time.

squats - 5x5 at 75 lbs
    bench - 5x5 at 60 lbs - definitely starting to require some effort.
    rows - 5x5 at 60 lb fixed barbell. Meh. Don't like them, they are too thin, but the women's only gym only has one power rack and one barbell. It was fixed, or squat in the smiths machine, so I took the lesser of two evils ;)

• TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    Back on MWF schedule for lifting, which is lovely.

Took Huck for a nice long walk (~75 minutes) and then did a plank. Yes, "a" as in singular. For 45 very long seconds. Gah!

As always, I love seeing what you kick *kitten* ladies are up to. Impressive!

xo
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    crabada wrote: »
    a plank.

hey, there's a reason why 'walk the plank' was a punishment. plank is a very very very bad word.

congratulations though. the first plank i tried was tooth-gritting desperation to get through just 20 seconds and aerobically it was harder that most of the squat sets i'd done. i had to lie on the floor and pant for a whole 2 minutes afterwards. they really do pay off though. and there really isn't much that feels cool quite like being able to get up in a plank and then just, like, hang out like that. all casually.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    A rough workout tonight. Between working 8 hour shift first, having to travel through the pouring rain, then the actual workout, it was a really long night. Not too many people but still some around using different parts and I had to hunt down 10s for the bench, which was a nuisance. Now I'm having a protein shake at 1 am and will be glad when I can go to bed.

Squat - 5x5 @ 145 - Almost to the 150 goal but the weights feel so heavy and difficult so I'll probably not move up. In fact, the spot where I put the bar both for high bar and low bar (as I'm trying low bar when I warm up) is really tender and aches. It's red now and I'll check it in the morning. I might try lower weight front squats next time just to give the spot a little break.

Bench - Failed on first set. 1x5ish @ 90, 1x5 @ 85 and 3x5 @ 80 - I pushed through with the 85 last time though it felt awfully heavy so figured I'd try 90 but nope. Maybe I'll try doing it first next time and see how that goes. Least I moved past the last place I failed (80) but I didn't get very far.

Row - 5x5 @ 95 but still a bit rough. I should do lighter but I'm stubborn and the height is better with the 25's. I'll do it one more time then make myself lift lighter if I can't get all 5 sets to be decent.

3x8 dumbbell bench @ 27.5 and 3x5 dumbbell row @ 25
    Then 30 minutes cool down walk on treadmill.

The upper body is definitely a struggle. And my right side is still more defined then my left side, upper arm wise. I almost want to do left side only dumbbell curls or something to even it out. lol
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    @Dawn -- Maybe you've already seen it suggested, but you may want to consider investing in a set of fractional plates so you can move up in increments of 2.5 lbs. on upper body lifts. Those 5 lbs. jumps can be brutal.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    @crabada--45 second plank is awesome!
    @Sumiblue--way to go on the pullups! I started with the convict conditioning pullup progression. I think it's better than Scooby's. Time will tell :-)
    @Dawn--you are progressing so quickly! I've always been told to work to the level of your weakest side. I also am stronger on right than left...
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    crabada wrote: »
    a plank.
    ... and there really isn't much that feels cool quite like being able to get up in a plank and then just, like, hang out like that. all casually.

Wait a minute... This is a possibility?!

Punishments to commence.

• DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    @DawnEmbers when I'll be a grown up, I want to do workouts like yours. I know that you feel like it was rough and you failed on bench press, but I'm amazed by your numbers! Good job!

@AbsoluteTara79 Nice work! I kinda liked a lot the white-short-shorts-dude video, and I should probably deload from my 80 pounds squat to try some of his trick. I'll do that on monday.

@mirrim52 I use those kind of barbell to make OHP, and it work great for now, but I never tried them for the rows. But yes, Smith machine squats were definetely not an option. ;)

@crabada Yay, plank! I'm not too fond of them, but 45 sec., it's a lot!
  • DaivaSimone
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yesterday was a boring cardio day for me, with 45 min. of aerobics and 15 burpees. I felt good for a couple of minutes, then we went out for dinner at a friend house, and I overate and drank too much wine, so I'm feeling like a guilty flabby mcfatty this morning. Or maybe it's juste my usual PMS feelings. Oh well.

Today will be another boring cardio day, but I may add a little bit of yoga to shake things up, or I'll try a routine in the Women's health 2015 training guide.

My last rest day was tuesday, and I don't plan to take another rest day until next sunday (because, I usually try to pair rest days with days I don't go out or anything, and as it's my husband birthday next week, I will be going out a lot). I'm kind of nervous about the fact that I will be doing a 11 days streak of workouts, but on the other hand, it's exciting for me to see how dedicated I became with physical activity. It will be a good week!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

Crabada - Yeah, I know about the fractionals but I can't afford them right now. I only have a small amount extra on any given pay check, usually little to none though this last one had holiday pay and overtime so it was more. But I used the extra this time to sign up for the 5k in June. Only way I'm getting running shoes is if tax return equals a refund. Plus I kind of should buy some food. Some day I'll get them even if I have to wait till August and my birthday, lol.

Scientific - I can still do the lifts, it's not so much the issue with the left versus right with weights, just the appearance is different and that annoys me a little. The right has more definition than the left, so that's what I meant with the one sided only curls or something.

Daiva - Thanks. You'll get there. I've made it through 9 weeks of lifting on SL so far. When I first started at the gym and the trainer had me bench press, the bar was so heavy. I struggled to do that for a few sets. And the 10 lb dumbbells were a challenge too.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    When I first started at the gym and the trainer had me bench press, the bar was so heavy. I struggled to do that for a few sets.

oh man. my first every day of trying out the stronglifts ideas i did benching and ohp with 'just' the bar. there's all these muscles/attachments/tendons that attach right along the whole length of your collarbone, above and below. you can't usually find them unless you really get your fingers in under/behind and dig in . . . . but i sure found them that weekend, good grief. i seriously thought i'd crippled myself forever.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Morning all! Long weekend here! Plus kidlet at his grandparents so date night for me and the hubs last night! Yesterday was a 5km 'recovery' run from heavy squats and deads the day before. Debating whether I lift today, feeling a bit sore in the old body but could just be the run yesterday and wine from last night! Will have to make up my mind soon before it gets too hot in hot in here day!

Make it a good one!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    So i sucked it up and did it! Seems last nights date night was the right kind of fuel!

Squat 5x5 @ 165lbs - still staying here, feels good
    Bench 5,5,4,4,5 @‌ - 90lbs hello roll of shame, not nice to see you again!
    Row 5x5 @‌ 95lbs

Plus
    lat pull downs 5x5 @‌ 90lbs
    Step ups 5x5 bodyweight, high bench
    Front squat push press thingies 5x5 @‌ 55lbs

• DaivaSimone
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Oh well. I did my cardio, and I made a shorter session to throw in the "Total Shape Up Plan Workout A" from Chris Powell, but something happen at home and I didn't finish it. Blah. I hope that tomorrow's lifting session will be better.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    gah. my 'home' view has gone totally bork. prolly still functional but all the visual/ux-y type stuff is gone. could be one of the blockers i have on my browser.

anyway. not gonna lift for a while, by feel of it. have to see how things go but for now the pinch in my mid-back feels like something i'd better respect. good work to everyone else, though.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Oh no, sorry to hear that @canadianlbs‌
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    ScientificExplorerGirl Posts: 535 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @Dawn---instead of fractionals I went to the hardware store and bought a bunch of large washers. Each one is ~0.2 lbs. I add 6 on each side for 1.2x2 pounds. Easily scalable and very inexpensive!!

@Daiva--you are doing great!!

Big workout day today! Gonna be sore tomorrow!

Squat 5x7 70 (slight deload; 75 felt too heavy this morning)
    Barbell Military Press 5x7 45 (no progress :-()
    Deadlift, Straight Leg 1x5 105 (yay!!)

Standing Biceps Curl, Dumbell 5x8 35
    Triceps kickback 5x8 16
    Triceps Extension 5x8 15

Convict Conditioning Step 2 Horizontal Pulls 5x8
    Incline Dumbbell Fly 5x8 16 (new)

third world squat 5 8