Daily check-in: Something catchy that rhymes with January!

Options

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    okay well, tedious self-obsessed all about meeeeeeeee.

i went back to my chiropractor's office on wednesday and saw his partner. compared with early december, this new guy corrected at least one bone in my neck and a whole cluster[censored] more of them in my thoracic spine. and let me tell you, some of the ones in the rhomboids/traps zone hurt in a whole new kind of way. so go me for calling it right (as in 'something is wrong'), i suppose.

i have followup next week sometime and i'm really trying to keep myself out of the gym. i've been given a buttload of stretches to do, and if yesterday is anything to go by they were desperately needed. from the sounds of it (me interpreting hopefully here), everything that went wrong went wrong because a) all those muscles are so stupidly tight, and b) the ones on the right side are stronger than the ones on the left, so the tension has let my own right side pull my spine out of whack. i'm stretching like gumby and hoping like mad that when i go back any final adjustments he needs to make will be a) fewer than before and b) more likely to hold. in the meantime i'm doing bodyweight squats to try and retrain myself to give more of the work to my left side. and i have arguments with my own brain about 5 times a day. one side of it's saying 'but if you go in there and you keep it light you'll get better FASTER, because you'll be retraining more effectively,' and the other side is just barring the door and going 'no. no. no. NO.'

i'm not having much fun and i'm feeling stoopid for letting this happen in the first place, so sympathy and applause for being such a good little camper would be welcome :'(
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Such a good little camper. :wink: That good?

Today was a mix of argh and yay. After the special tour of the other gym, I went later to my gym and did workout B. There was a guy squatting with like 210 on the bar (looked like 2 sets of 45's, a 10 and a 5 on each side. Wow, that looked heavy. My OHP sucked big time but did decent at squat and am happy with deadlift. Probably could have taken today off and gotten more rest to help the upper body lift but meh, I need to rearrange my lifting days since my work schedule is changing. Anyways, here is the how things went down.

Workout B

Squat - 5x5 @ 135 - Back to the back squat and the spot isn't sore. I dropped down to 135 instead of doing 145 again. I'll move up from here and work towards that 150 goal.

OHP - 1x4 @ 70, 1x4 @ 65, 3x5 @ 60 - Bleh. I tried a little with the hip thing but it feels awkward and I'll have to do it more with just the bar before I can do it well with weight. This one was just off tonight.

Deadlift - 1x5 @ 135 and 1x5 @ 190 - Went up 5 lbs instead of 10 and it was rough. Felt heavy so I think that I'm going to do this weight next time. Getting closer to that 200, woot!

3x8 @ 160 leg press then 30 minutes walk on treadmill.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    I tried a little with the hip thing but it feels awkward and I'll have to do it more with just the bar before I can do it well with weight.

i saw that video where he teaches the hip-bounce for ohp this summer, when i was just starting out with lifting. it helped, but i agree that it's a lot trickier to learn than it looks - hard to get the timing just right.

fwiw i personally got all purist a short time later and went back to doing an absolutely strict press with no help from my lower body at all, but i think that's just me. the best ohp weight that i ever got definitely came courtesy of that little boost from the hips.
  • lhapple82
    lhapple82 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the welcome! Ugh, I hurt myself today. My husband and I went to the gym together this morning. There was a guy in the squat rack, and when I asked how long he would be, he was "just getting started". He spent the whole time we were there hogging up a couple of things people wanted to use while he grunted, groaned, and counted all of his reps out loud in his circuit.

I could not lift my squat bar up and over (80lbs). My husband would lift it up for me, and I would duck under. That part was fine. However, I insisted on taking the bar off myself, and I definitely tweaked something in my neck/shoulder. It got progressively worse as I went through my bench presses (65lbs), and I had to get out of there before my rows. I'm icing now, but I will never make the mistake again of not squatting in the rack!
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    lhapple82 wrote: »
    Thank you for the welcome! Ugh, I hurt myself today. My husband and I went to the gym together this morning. There was a guy in the squat rack, and when I asked how long he would be, he was "just getting started". He spent the whole time we were there hogging up a couple of things people wanted to use while he grunted, groaned, and counted all of his reps out loud in his circuit.

I could not lift my squat bar up and over (80lbs). My husband would lift it up for me, and I would duck under. That part was fine. However, I insisted on taking the bar off myself, and I definitely tweaked something in my neck/shoulder. It got progressively worse as I went through my bench presses (65lbs), and I had to get out of there before my rows. I'm icing now, but I will never make the mistake again of not squatting in the rack!

I bought my squat stand just for this reason. I knew I could squat heavier but just didn't feel confident that I could lift over and back without injury... I hope you recover soon!
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Got up early and went to the gym before meeting my mom for tea this morning. Brought my daughter and she got to check out the gym daycare. She thought it was pretty cool.

Squat - 5x5 @100 lbs. First milestone reached :) I found I really had to concentrate on form this time. I had to actively push my knees out, and I concentrated on hip drive today. They were hard but felt good.

OHP - 5x5 @ 50 lbs. I thought there would be no way I would be able to do this, but I did! They weren't pretty though and I felt my back arching, so staying at this weight for another session.

Deadlift - 1x5 @ 125 lbs. This is the first time DLs have felt pretty hard. Still going up next time though, because that will be big girl plates, and approx. body weight :smiley: My grip was better this time, no more pinching of the flesh on my palms.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    I'm icing now, but I will never make the mistake again of not squatting in the rack!

that really sucks. hope it gets better really soon.

• perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    So happy to be getting my strength back.

Workout B (Sat)

squats 5 x 2 - 125

squats 5 x 5 - 145

Dumbbell Skis - 5 x 10 - 40

Overhead Press, Barbell - 5 x 5 - 65

Deadlifts 2 x 5 - 155

Underhand Curls - seated 5 x 5 - 85

Reverse Curls 5 x 5 - 85
  • perseverance14
    Options

Ouch! Hope you feel better soon.

• perseverance14
    Options
    Yesssss...Friday. Workout done at lunch to free up the evening and two days of rest. Although, I have a work party tomorrow night with a bunch of food so I might run tomorrow.

Squats - 5x5 at 70lbs. Watched a bunch of stuff on "hip drive" this morning where Mark Rippetoe smacks guys butts and makes them uncomfortable. I think pushing out my knees is key. Focusing on that helped a ton.

OHP - 1 set at 50, decided it was too hard, 4 sets back at 45lbs.

Deadlift - 1x5 at 95lbs.

20 minutes ellip.
    I like this: http://www.schwarzenegger.com/fitness/post/squat-101
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    "Rest" day turned into doing
    push-ups with 1.5min of slow mini cycle in-between each sets x9/9/10/9/9 (and then 4 cuz I wanted 50 xD)
    bw squats with arm mini cycle for 1:15 between sets x 28/26/30/26/26/24
    hollow rocks with foam rolling in-between sets (and um, it does require some core activation to roll, btw O_o) x 14/12/16/12/12
    finished that off with a 1:05 plank

then went ice skating for about 25 minutes, walking for 20, vacuumed for another 20 or so, and I just decided to throw in a few chin-up negatives because I felt like I neglected my back previously...

I just can't take 2 days off in a row. can I? Can't wait to be back in the gym tomorrow!
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    @AbsoluteTara79 I've been watching the Convict Conditioning series for squats: https://youtube.com/watch?v=dPEFsGm9NKE It's a bit long but I am almost through it. He gives alot of good pointer through the entire video. I was going to skip the early progressions but was glad that I didn't.
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    So I did Workout B yesterday with husband taking some videos of me in the gym, to help me with my form.

Warm up: 15 minutes elliptical

Squat 1x5 @45, 1x5 @ 65, 1x5 @85 and 5x5 @ 90.

We took a video of the first one with just the bar and another of the set at 85 pounds. I think that I will need to pay closer attention to my grip because I break my wrists a lot on the bar. For the rest, I'm not sure I'm squatting parallel (because, you know, fat thighs), but there's no butt wink in there. Husband told me I was looking like If I pushed with my back, which is bad, need to focus on the knees. For those reasons, I'll stay at 90 on Monday.hi

OHP 5x5 @‌ 45

I did my OHP in the cage for the first time, yay! As the fixed barbells were on the other side of the gym, I didn't bothered to warm up. I tried to mimick the Mark Rippetoe's hip thrust and it was helpful. I think that I will be ready to add some plates next time.

Deadlifts 1x5 @ 45, 1x5 @ 95, 1x5 @ 110. I did some sumo rep on the last set, so I will repeat this load next week.

Accessories: assisted pull ups with the machine, alternate plank on the BOSU.

After that, I teached my husband how to bench press and how to curl with a fixed barbell and I checked on him while he was training his arms for the first time. I don't think we have a new believer here, but it was fun, as a woman, to teach a man how to lift.
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I went for a rare Sunday lifting session this morning. I was on Workout A.

Squats: 5x5@95 lbs. I was supposed to be at 105, but my form was crap at that weight so I dropped down a bit. These felt good though and form was good. I'll plan to go back up next time.

Bench: 5x5@70 lbs. These were a bit tough, but doable. I will try 75 lbs next time.

Rows: 5x5@70 lbs. Still feeling good with these now that I'm pulling to the right spot. :smiley: I will go up to 75 lbs next time.

Accessories: heel raises, lunges, RDLs 3x10@70 lbs

Cardio: 25 minutes on the elliptical (just enough time to watch an episode of "Friends" on Netflix) :wink:
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Back on the grind! Didn't have a great night of sleep so I was a lil sluggish to start but I think I did pretty well today!

50/10 intervals with a 30# KB

-Single arm russian clean x 19/18/18
    -1 arm push-up progression on KB x 13/12/11
    -repeat previous 2 exercises on other side
    -KB alternate arm swing 30/30/32 (total)

Then 6 rounds of 20/10
    - 20kg KB sumo deadlift high pull x 10/9/9/9/8/10
    - Bear crawls 10ft and back x 2/2/1.5/1.5/1.5/2 (I could've pushed a bit harder here, I think...)

Then did some squats, 5 sets of 3 @ 125
    superset with Pendlay rows, 4x8 @‌95

then 13 hollow swings, hanging knee raises, 3.75 chin-ups with the red band (I'll get 4 soon!) and 45s of hanging on the rings. My grip was shot! Completely! I debated trying to hang onto the rope, but I'll wait til I'm consistently doing 15 knee raises, methinks
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    someone was talking about left shoulder pain after squats . . . . i'm busy reviewing this again for my own purposes so i thought that i'd post it again.

http://www.allthingsgym.com/mark-rippetoe-on-the-squat-bar-position/
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    I only got two workouts this week but will be better this coming week.

Row 70 5x5 for second time. I think I'm going to wait here another workout before moving up.

Bench 85 5,5,5,4,4. Is it weird that 85 was so much easier than 80 for me?? I was so nervous about doing this weight and told myself I'd go for a 5x3 but then I went ahead and did 5 for most of the sets. It felt amazing. I actually did 5 on the second to last set but on the last one I zigged right and zagged left then barely dropped it into the hooks so I didn't count it. I don't think I'll be sticking around here very long.

I had to wait forever to squat because I went to the small gym and a couple was using the rack forever. So I did other stuff:

Skull crushers 30 3x8.

Assisted pull up (chin up? The back of my hands faced my face) 50 lbs left over 3x5.

Chest fly laying down 20 3x8.

I was getting my stuff to leave when I saw them go leg press (yes, after they were squatting with goblet squatting in between sets) so I ran over to get my work in. 130 3,3,3,3,0 :unamused: I don't know why why 130 is so much harder than 125 for me. Maybe I just don't like even numbers. I should just try 135 to see if it's easier lol. Anyway, I was tired and couldn't get my head in it so hopefully it's easier on Tuesday. I was shaking and felt nauseous so I didn't attempt the final set.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Am contemplating a rest week this week. Its been 7 weeks since my last one and I am feeling a bit jaded - though I may try and last out for another week :-)
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Looking great, all that effort.

Krokador - That still make me feel tired. I could probably hang on the rings for 5 seconds max. lol Looking great though.

MissHoliday - I actually will leg press after squats if I don't have to do it before squats just cause it can be a good method of waiting for the rack/cage to free up. But for the most part I try to save the accessory for after the main, so leg press at the end of day B. I'm sure you'll get those reps next time. Though I've never done a goblet squat, sounds interesting option for those boring rest times where I practically need to twiddle my thumbs to have something to do. lol

Today I ended up going before work. Changing up my lifting schedule because my work schedule and days off are changing. Since freight is moving to Thursday and I'm going to cover photo that night, I don't want to lift that day. Also, hard to believe I'm on week 11 of SL already. Has gone by so fast. Midday gym = busy but manageable.

Day A

Squat - 5x5 @ 140 - Felt pretty good though had one in the middle where I went even lower and questioned my ability to get back up. But made it through in the end.

DB bench - 3x8 @ 27.5 - benches were all taken and it was hard to get one over by the dumbbells but I used it while I waited to do regular bench.

Bench - 1x5, 1x4 @ 90, 3x5 @ 85 - Yeah, fail number 3. It was rough but okay at first then last rep on set 2 couldn't get it up and had to use the lower spot. But managed to do the last 3 sets at 85 instead of struggling and dropping down to 80. I'll take it down to 80 next time and work up again.

Row - 5x5 @ 95 - Actually didn't feel too bad this time. I'm going to try 100 next.

30 minute walk treadmill.

Not bad overall. Saw a couple interesting sights to report in other forum topic. Not bad and now I can get ready for work.
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    someone was talking about left shoulder pain after squats . . . . i'm busy reviewing this again for my own purposes so i thought that i'd post it again.

http://www.allthingsgym.com/mark-rippetoe-on-the-squat-bar-position/

I listened to the video and I will have a lot to think about tomorrow.

At some point in the video, Rippetoe point an incorrect grip (the kind as I am doing) and says: "You know, when you lift 600 hundred pounds with that grip, it will put a lot of pressure on the elbows..." (then, he proceeds to correct the grip of the guy holding the bar and continue) "Now, when you lift 600 hundred pounds with that grip, the weight rest solely on the back. You can perfectly lift 600 hundred pounds this way, he does it allll the time."

I laughed hard. Squating 600 hundred pounds? Normal.