Binge Eating Support Group Conversation Thread - 2015

Options
How are you all doing? It is my hope you use this thread to get to know each other better and have a safe place to motivate & support one another daily. This group will be what you all make of it. So let's talk, support, share challenges, successes, and most of all share replases. We can all learn from one another. So please share, share, share. This group is what you make it so lets make it a place for all of us to get support.

One day at a time. <3

A nice poem for us if we think it is just now worth the effort or when the going gets tough and you want to throw in the towel. The name of the poem is:

'Don't Quit' by Jill Wolf

Don't quit when the tide is lowest,
For it's just about to turn;
Don't quit over doubt's and questions,
For there's something you may learn.
Don't quit when the night is darkest,
For its just a while 'til dawn;
Don't quit when you've run the farthest,
For the race is almost won.
Don't quit when the hill is steepest,
For your goal is almost nigh;
Don't quit, for you're not a failure
Until you fail to try.

Replies

• Dennis4766
    Dennis4766 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Great 1st post for 2015! Wonderful encouragement to Don't quit & Keep trying! I just listened to a podcast of Charles Stanley and he was speaking about Esau selling his birthright to Jacob. The central message is not to sacrifice the future for the right now. Not to give up what we want most for what we want now. So best wishes to everyone in the group in this new year.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Molly! I'm taking things One hour at a time right now - and I'm trying to not let the holiday weight gain get to me too much. Right now, I'm dealing with finding time to exercise - with working night shift, I'd rather sleep during the mornings and afternoons and evenings, than exercise. Happy new year to everyone
  • egiggy73
    egiggy73 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Trying to fit in 10 min walks here and there, at lunch, during a break. Just this little amount increases my endorphines, so I have less crave to binge. Will try to do this every day in 2015, so I can get off my anti anxiety meds. Finding happiness and peace will help reduce cravings. A therapist is Giving me tools to count my blessings, and not let work and life stuff get me down. 100 lbs to go.
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Gah :( Had a fight with my husband and totally binged afterward. I was so upset. So annoyed that I did this so early into the new year :(
  • Bolahsigns
    Bolahsigns Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi I am new to this group, my real name is Deborah. I definitely binge eat and I sometimes eat until I get sick then I feel ashamed because I know I need to stop but I don't. I am glad to see this group because many of my friends and family don't understand :(
  • traci9028
    traci9028 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Molly, what an awesome poem and inspiring message you are sending to everyone. It's so nice to have a place to relate to others who are dealing with the same thing. Of all the stupid things to binge over, I chose last night to have midnight snacks because of my frustration with a new Fitbit I got for Christmas. I know I am just being petty but I thought, what the heck, this device keeps changing its mind so I might as well. I need to get out of that frame of mind and do better. If only I could have my brain shut off after supper, I would be fine, but I lack willpower, so therefore, I keep eating. Happy New Year to everyone!
  • Balaga8611
    Balaga8611 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Good morning, everyone. I have had an account on MFP for several years, but didn't discover this group until this month. I have been a binge eater for many years. I have been on a "diet" most of my adult life, and have had success with most of the diets out there. I have even gotten to a goal weight on several occasions, and managed to keep my goal weight for a year about 10 years ago. But sooner or later the Binge-Monster raises its ugly head. All these years I thought I was the only one. I know that sounds cliche, but I feel so much better knowing that I'm not alone. Based on personal experience, Binge-eating seems to be a lot like alcoholism. You are never really cured, once a binge-eater, always a binge-eater. Man, I wish it didn't always have to be such a struggle!

Currently, I am 60 years old, and have health issues that are a direct result of my binge-eating. High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol, High Triglycerides. I am on medication for all these conditions. A couple of years ago, I developed a heart murmur caused by a faulty aortic valve. My cardiologist says it's not related to life-style decisions, but I think that it would have to be!

All of this, and I STILL can't seem to keep my eating under control! The only good thing, is that I don't give up. Each morning after a binge, I vow to start again.

Thank you for listening. I've never said any of this to anyone before, not even my husband, who is hugely supportive. (He is of normal weight, so I don't think he would understand.)
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I am back after not posting or logging for a number of months now. I too fight the binge monster. I had a time frame of binging and purging but have not purged since the first week of June. HUGE accomplishment. However the binge eating has continued which just led to packing on the pounds.

I have re-gained 50ish lbs back since about 2013(I think) It makes me feel emotionally defeated and physically deflated. I feel bad about myself emotionally (no self esteem, hateful talk/thoughts about myself, etc) and physically I am just grossed out by how I look, (fat, a muffin top again, etc.)

I am back, ready to get back on track. I started Monday (the 5th) and have had no binges or slips. I have had 'wants' and desires to binge even since Monday but I have not. I have written next to my food diary (in a notebook, but logged online here) how I feel about that food, my moods, etc. It makes me look back and hopefully be able to recognize a pattern that leads up to the binge and to stop it before it happens.

So that is where I am at!
  • Jennjoywolf
    Jennjoywolf Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Feel free to friend me if you'd like :) I'm motivated and on track right now, but I know those lulls are coming and would love support and to support you as well :)
    NJMrountree - the comparison to alcoholism is dead on. I am now convinced that I am also struggling with alcoholism, although never really acknowledged it before. It was progressive. I used to be fine with a drink or two, and in a few years, now I polish off ridiculous amounts. Same situation with my binge eating. When I first moved out on my own, I would do it once in a while - order a large ny pizza pie and eat almost the whole thing by myself. But as the years progressed, it became 3 times a week, or then nightly. Each diet would bring me back down, but then I would binge once and I started back at the frequency I had been previously at. This past slip up caused me a 16 pound gain in 2 months. 8 pounds a month of real fat - not water retention - is some serious binging!
    - I'm back on MFP now and completely motivated. I'm also intentionally sober from alcohol for the first time in 6 years. I really discovered the alcoholism thing was true when I attempted to stop and found myself really freaking out emotionally and physically.
    - Addiction is a terrible condition.
    - Good to meet you all.
  • turnipZbeets
    turnipZbeets Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with my unhealthy relationship with food for years. But, now...

I'm out of control.

I'm stuck. So many empty promises to myself that I don't even pretend to make them anymore. I'm a shell of a normal person. I go out of my way to plan a binge, to hide the evidence, to figure out when my next binge will be. I'm an addict, through and through. I'm in it for the high. I'll shove anything down my throat to satiate the outside world and enter into that foggy brained, cloudiness that comes with the binge. The sloth-like fullness is the only thing that finally lulls me into a literal gut wrenching night of sleep. All to arouse the next day feeling groggy and disgusted and I begin the cycle over again. I obviously need help. It may even be time to find a professional....

I'm hoping that this group (or some of you) can become a reliable support system for me... a form of keeping a journal/group therapy. It's a small step... but, all I can do is try to take small steps right now. Maybe one of them sticks.

Jan 10, 2015 will mark day 1 of being binge free.... not an easy first day.
    Off to bed at 1.45am on Jan 11, 2015. Hoping to wake up in time to get to yoga at 8.30am.
  • anaisbutterfly7
    anaisbutterfly7 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hello. I am def a Binge Eater and Food addict. I recently quit drinking (had to go to rehab to do it) and now my brain tells me that I want to Binge all the time. Yesterday I was upset and crying and my body was screaming to go binge. No thought of drinking, just wanting to binge. I talked myself down from that ledge, but getting through this addiction feels ten times harder.

Please befriend me. I would love to get and provide support on my home page (because it reminds me of facebook, lol).

Thanks!
  • MSWDiet
    MSWDiet Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    IT'S BEEN A LONG TIME SINCE I'VE POSTED TO THIS GROUP. I'M DOING OK RIGHT NOW BUT I KNOW HOW EASILY THE BINGE CAN SNATCH ME BACK INTO COMPULSIVE EATING OR SOME OTHER COMPULSIVE BEHAVIOR CAN TAKE OVER.

I HAVE TO OWN UP TO USING ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF MY BINGE EATING AS AN OUT FOR NOT MAKING MY BEST EFFORT. TRUE, THE BINGE DOES AT TIMES TAKE CONTROL OVER MY LIFE. HOWEVER, IT IS STILL MY RESPONSIBILITY TO EXAMINE HOW I GOT THERE AND WHAT I NEED TO DO TO HELP MYSELF. THIS APPLIES TO BINGE EATING AND MY OTHER COMPULSIVE BEHAVIORS AS WELL.

RATHER THAN SAY TO MYSELF I AM A COMPULSIVE OVER EATER AND THIS IS WHY I BINGE, I'M NOW FOCUSING ON THE CONSEQUENCES. WERE IT NOT FOR THE RISKS INVOLVED; AND, THE HIGH PROBABILITY OF SUFFERING, I'D BE HEAVILY ENGAGED IN MULTIPLE COMPULSIVE BEHAVIORS.

I'VE MISGUIDEDLY DOWN PLAYED MY BINGE EATING DISORDER MAKING IT OK COMPARED TO OTHER BEHAVIORS LEFT UN CHECKED. BINGE EATING CAN RUIN MY LIFE AS EASILY AS ANY OTHER COMPULSIVE BEHAVIOR. I DESERVE TO ADDRESS ALL BEHAVIOR THAT PLACE ME AT RISK WITH EQUAL PARITY. I DO NOT DESERVE TO HOLD ON TO BINGE EATING.

I'M NOW ADDRESSING BINGE EATING AS ACTIVELY AS I HAVE BEEN ADDRESSING OTHER ISSUES I LIVE EACH DAY. KEEPING IT IN MY FACE WITH EVERYTHING ELSE HAPPENING IN MY UNIVERSE IS WORKING RIGHT NOW. FINGERS CROSSED, THIS APPROACH WILL WORK FOR ME OVER THE LONG TERM.

>:) SO WHAT IF I'M LOUD... I TYPE LOUD CAUSE I'M A BIT HARD OF SEEING, LOL

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,359 Member
    Options
    traci9028 wrote: »
    Molly, what an awesome poem and inspiring message you are sending to everyone. It's so nice to have a place to relate to others who are dealing with the same thing. Of all the stupid things to binge over, I chose last night to have midnight snacks because of my frustration with a new Fitbit I got for Christmas. I know I am just being petty but I thought, what the heck, this device keeps changing its mind so I might as well. I need to get out of that frame of mind and do better. If only I could have my brain shut off after supper, I would be fine, but I lack willpower, so therefore, I keep eating. Happy New Year to everyone!
    Hopefully you got your fitbit working properly now. I love my new fitbit!

• traci9028
    traci9028 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes, I did get it working. I heard rumor that the entire site was down or slow because of overwhelming amounts of new users but after a couple days, I either got used to it or it started working better. (Also, I read lots of information here on MFP on how to sync the two and how to best log info.)
  • littleandysmom
    littleandysmom Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Just found this group...I need to work on my unhealthy relationship with food. I never seem to run out of excuses for it but I know how unhealthy it is.
    Love the poem! :)
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    So glad to find others with the same struggles. Just wanted to pass on the name of a book I'm currently reading that makes so much sense to me and holds out promise of better understanding of one's binge-eating: Brain Over Binge by Kathryn Hansen.
  • Dennis4766
    Options
    Brain over Binge was a great book. It was the first book I read after diagnosis. And I read it again about 3 weeks ago as a refresher.

• bootsiejayne
    bootsiejayne Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I binge. I have for years. I've just discovered that B.E.D. is an actual disorder and it's not just that I'm fat and lazy. I haven't talked to my dr about it because I know he will just give me diet pills. That's not going to help whats in my head. I researched OA but the closest one is over an hour away. I think it would help if I had a friend that could help me talk myself off the ledge when I feel a binge coming on. Feel free to add me. I could use the friends.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,359 Member
    Options
    I binge. I have for years. I've just discovered that B.E.D. is an actual disorder and it's not just that I'm fat and lazy. I haven't talked to my dr about it because I know he will just give me diet pills. That's not going to help whats in my head. I researched OA but the closest one is over an hour away. I think it would help if I had a friend that could help me talk myself off the ledge when I feel a binge coming on. Feel free to add me. I could use the friends.

Welcome!
  • Dennis4766
    Options
    I binge. I have for years.

There are a couple really good books on the subject that might help for you to read over. Unfortunately there isnt an"EASY BUTTON" that we can press to make it go away. But knowledge of what causes you to binge and then a plan to address it might help you.