Misc. Chat Thread - Jan. 2015

Options
123457»

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Another way to look at it is that this type of utilization forecasting allows gyms to offer those that do go regularly a competitive rate. If they could only rely on membership fees for people that showed up (because everyone else cancelled in March), prices would be higher.

that's a good point. but there's something so does-not-compute for me about the business model, speaking as a consumer of course. they're basically motivated to NOT want you coming back consistently and making it a staple part of your life. that wouldn't be what i'm looking for.

i'm lucky enough to live in a city with such an outstanding rec/community centre complex that i've never even had to think about a commercial gym. there's plenty of them around here, but i've never felt the least attraction to them.

• AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Another way to look at it is that this type of utilization forecasting allows gyms to offer those that do go regularly a competitive rate. If they could only rely on membership fees for people that showed up (because everyone else cancelled in March), prices would be higher.

that's a good point. but there's something so does-not-compute for me about the business model, speaking as a consumer of course. they're basically motivated to NOT want you coming back consistently and making it a staple part of your life. that wouldn't be what i'm looking for.

i'm lucky enough to live in a city with such an outstanding rec/community centre complex that i've never even had to think about a commercial gym. there's plenty of them around here, but i've never felt the least attraction to them.

For a well-managed business, having too many people that want your product is the best "problem" to have. That means expansion and/or increased rates. But I'm sure there are tons of crappy gyms that approach this from a less-than-noble angle. That's not a sustainable business practice though.

The gym I joined pulls a weekly report of how often people go and they call people if they go dark for awhile. I think that's pretty cool. I used to go to a community center too, loved it! But then I moved and my new city doesn't have the same resources.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    True and it's a point often mentioned. But I'm viewing it from just the selfish point of view. I just need to find stuff broke me can afford cause have yet to be able to make enough money and college degree didn't get me very far. Pesky bills and stuff affecting gym money. lol

I did look at the Y but it's as expensive as the commercial gyms. That I didn't quite understand.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Yeah, our Y is really expensive, too. What's up with that?
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Our YMCA is more expensive than the gym I am at now. the YWCA is better price, but no barbells. A few cardio machines, one machine, and some dumbbells.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    it's tough finding the perfect place. everything seems to involve some kind of compromise.
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I go to 24hr fitness, I bought a prepaid 2 year membership through Costco and it makes it around $16/mth. They are all inclusive but older/out of date compared to a few other locations in my area so that's why so low. If I paid month to month it would be $35+.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Great point @AbsoluteTara79‌! I do enjoy my $25/month gym that has a ton of equipment and is convenient. The calling thing is cool but I also think it might be annoying. My old salon still calls and emails me and it makes me angry, but I don't have a membership there going to waste so I guess that's a bad example.

I don't like near a Y but when I did, the prices was cray expensive.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    About the purple color-I took a selfie at PF one day when I was wearing the exact same shade of purple workout gear. I looked like I worked for the place. It's not a great gym but if you know what you are doing and don't need the extras like a pool, classes or sauna it's fine. I went and did my thing. I think I wanted to leave because I was getting very self conscious being the only woman lifting heavy (that I ever saw). I knew I could focus on my form better without the voyeurism. My husband was one of those people who got the membership because it was cheap and then didn't use it. He used to go regularly and then he started riding his bike to and from work and he never went to the gym again. He is just beginning to hear the siren call of the power cage down the hall.

That's like wearing a red shirt and khakis to Target. I do like that my gym has a good amount of women in the lifting area. It's inspiring and makes me feel less weird. Your husband will be taking up your cage in no time ;-)
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I wasn't sure if a Feb Misc Chat thread has been started, so I thought I would keep going here...

I felt like a stalker this morning at the gym...
    There are 2 ladies, I am guessing mid forties that workout together. They lift and they do it well! I paused my music for a second and I happened to listen in on their convo and they were talking macros, protein grams, scared to bulk, etc, etc. Kinda made me feel less out of place.
    I am no where near competitive, etc, but food/workouts/protein are a very big part of my day and it was kinda cool to hear it is for these ladies too.
    PLUS - They are both in GREAT shape.
    Lady 'A' is tall, maybe 5'10, 5'11 and she was saying something about not seeing her physical changes. I didn't want to be creepy and comment, but I have totally seen a change in her. If my earbuds were out and I had heard them talking I would have said something, but ease dropping with earbuds in seemed weird enough. HA!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Nice! I vote we do a year long chit chat forum topic, that way we can chat all year on the same one. Unless people really like making new ones every single month.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    @Symba -- I know what you mean, but she probably would have been happy to hear the positive feedback anyway. I don't assume that everyone has their music up so loud that they can't hear through earbuds, so it wouldn't be that weird.

@Dawn -- If we're at five pages just for January, I think a year long thread would be pretty massive. Might be cool to do one for every couple of months, though.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    @symba1130 that's awesome about those ladies. I like that they weren't sputtering out pseudoscience either. There's a guy at my gym that used to be what I would call obese but over the past few months as I've seen him working out (mostly lifting), he's slimmed down a lot. I always like seeing him because I feel happy for him. It also shows that it's never too soon to start weight training. Sadly, you don't often see transformations like that at he gym.