Successful "No thank-yous"

Options
13»

Replies

• annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    empty your selves and take to the local food shelf for distrubution. That is what I did.
    Also yes, had to throw out the christmas left overs even after trying to pass them off on family.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    dawlfin318 wrote: »
    What is promite?

It's a savoury (savory), salty spread with a strong taste, full of B vitamins but looks thick and dark brown like sump oil. In Australia we have Vegemite which is very similar and in the UK they have Marmite, all the same kind of thing. If you're not raised with them I don't know anyone who has thought them good eating, but if you're raised with them... slurp :smiley:

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    dawlfin318 wrote: »
    What is promite?

It's a savoury (savory), salty spread with a strong taste, full of B vitamins but looks thick and dark brown like sump oil. In Australia we have Vegemite which is very similar and in the UK they have Marmite, all the same kind of thing. If you're not raised with them I don't know anyone who has thought them good eating, but if you're raised with them... slurp :smiley:
    My brain was thinking vegemite. Glad I'm not far off!

• sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    empty your selves and take to the local food shelf for distrubution. That is what I did.
    Also yes, had to throw out the christmas left overs even after trying to pass them off on family.

We've done that too, giving lots of things to the neighbors who can't afford fresher breads or the more expensive whole grain pastas. They're ever thankful for it, and we're pleased to have room for more coconut oil. :D
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's "No thank you" was to myself. In a previous life I went through periods of frequent bread baking. In the past few months, I've only made it once when my daughter-in-law asked that I teach my granddaughter. Yesterday was my wife's birthday and she requested that I make bread to go with dinner and could I please make it with cheese and garlic. I created a recipe, put two small loaves in the oven (higher percentage of crust with small loaves) and filled the kitchen with the smell.

I had already decided that I was going to participate in birthday cake (some rituals are more important than carb count) so when the plate of fresh warm bread went around the table I managed to busy myself with my grandson.
  • jmarton1977
    jmarton1977 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I had a co-worker stick a piece of chocolate cake in my face at the holiday. In the past I've tried to politely decline but I've noticed that the more I decline the more adamant people get about eating it (which is so rude!) So I've developed two strategies. 1) take it and say you're going to save it for later and then either pass it off or get rid of it, or 2) Sadly, LIE. I tell them I'm diabetic and can't eat sugar even though I'm not. People seem to accept that rather than "I don't eat sugar."
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    It was actually in the midst of devouring an entire box of Valentine's Day chocolates that I decided to do this. :smile: Since I started, coworkers have brought in fudge, lemon poppyseed muffins (one of my favorites!), and glazed donuts. They put them right beside the coffee pot, but I've been able to walk in, get my coffee, glance at (or even smell) the treats, and move on out. It helps that I try not to let myself get hungry. I pack a bag of food to bring with me--more than I can eat on most days, but I'd rather bring food back home with me than be hungry during the day and cave on carbs.
  • jonsmithkidd
    jonsmithkidd Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Just now I have said no to a piece of cake, even though everyone else in my office had one. Feeling like an outsider but proud!
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    My partner brought home an entire large pizza last night, from the new best place in town. I smelled it...actually opened the box and just smellllllllled it. Then I closed the box and ate some fresh mozzarella cheese wrapped in some hard salami slices. Thankfully I am not a leftover eater (nothing seems to taste as good reheated to me) because there is still a ton of pizza in the fridge.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Sajyana wrote: »
    I've been laid up with a sore back over the weekend so the hubby ran the kitchen. He came home with a fresh, warm, crusty loaf of bread. Curse him!

I wanted a cheese and promite (don't judge :smiley: ) sandwich sooooo badly. Then I thought: what was it exactly about the sandwich that I really wanted. It was the cheese. The butter. The promite. So, I actually wanted the fillings, the bread was just a convenient way to get it into my mouth. So I sliced a piece of cheese, buttered it and spread promite over the top. It was glorious.

We actually do this a lot for lunches. One slice of cheese, slather some mayo on it, then put the meat on it and then add lettuce, tomato or pickle or all of it and enjoy! Dont miss bread often because its the fillings everyone loves.

That's why Subway offers double meat, not double bread :D
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Took the car in for service... In the waiting room right next to the coffee was a bin full of warm Mrs Fields cookies... I got a cup of coffee and got the heck out of there.... No harm no foul.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    quiarga wrote: »
    I really really hate to see food go to waste, but I "just said no" by throwing out a lot of our Christmas sweets last week. I threw away a completely unopened box of chocolate covered cherries and all the sweets from my stocking, the rest of a pie, and probably a few other things. It feels like money down the drain, and I absolutely hate that, but I hate being overweight more. After reading these posts, I feel I probably should have taken the unopened stuff to my neighbor instead of wasting them!!

WOW! My exact sentiments! Good for you! I threw 80 pounds away when I cleaned out my kitchen at the start of the diet. Some said, "Why didn't you give it to a food bank?" My answer: I don't want to give that carbage to anyone. They could develop metabolic syndrome just like I did.

Dan the Man from Michigan

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    They brought in free food again (Last Tuesday ~ Fat Tuesday, a catholic thing, Paczki Day a Polish thing). Here is what I said NO to. These are Paczki's (Jelly filled donuts):

2o90iuftxlit.jpg

This time last year, I would of eaten at least (3) of these. Thank God for helping me find this Keto WOE!

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan

• KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    My partner brought home an entire large pizza last night, from the new best place in town. I smelled it...actually opened the box and just smellllllllled it. Then I closed the box and ate some fresh mozzarella cheese wrapped in some hard salami slices. Thankfully I am not a leftover eater (nothing seems to taste as good reheated to me) because there is still a ton of pizza in the fridge.

I tried the Muffin in a Minute recipe from another thread as a hamburger bun and thought it worked well. Since then I've been intrigued with the idea that with minor tweaking it would make a good pizza crust.

• Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    KeithF6250 wrote: »

I tried the Muffin in a Minute recipe from another thread as a hamburger bun and thought it worked well. Since then I've been intrigued with the idea that with minor tweaking it would make a good pizza crust.

Let us know if you try it and how it comes out!

• KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    The office ladies are always trying to push off donuts and brownies and freakin bagels every week. I always just smile and say no thanks! and then I happily munch away on macadamia nuts. Those little suckers are buttery deliciousness. :)