Challenge: 15 in 15 weeks, in 2015!

Options
krokador
krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
edited January 2015 in Social Groups
I'm a little late posting this as I wanted to gauge interest around my friend list first, but since the only people that replied all hang out around here, I figured this was the place.

The rundown? It's 2015. What better year to decide to go for 15s? That's the theme!

It's simple: you set yourself a goal to accomplish within the next 15 weeks, and it has to be 15 something. Be able to do 15 pull-ups in a single set, deadlift 15 times the weight of an elephant over the course of all your workouts (hey, who knows, it's probably do-able! lol), travel 15 miles doing lunges (yikes!), shed 15lbs of fat (that's mine! But you can steal it, no worries), add 15lbs to your OHP... It's all up to you!

This thread will be used to
1. set your goals (and also tell us HOW you plan on accomplishing said goal. One rule here: no 3-word answers. give yourself a fighting chance and actually write out your plan, step by step, and heck, maybe even have a plan B ready to spring to action!)
2. check-in on your progress weekly (pl0x!)
3. report whether you made it or not at the end
4. Gather everyone together for some good ol' school moral support

So, what is there to win? At the end of it all? Well I was thinking perhaps the losers ones that don't make it could have to record themselves getting through a set of 15 manmaker burpees.

But as far as incentive go I don't have much to offer aside from the deep satisfaction that you've accomplished something in the first (minus one) 15 weeks of 2015.

So go ahead and post your goals and plans (mine to follow)!

Challenge runs from now (January 6th) -> April 20th

VnW34Dq.jpg

Replies

• krokador
    Options
    Goal: Lose 15lbs (Current: 201. Goal: 186)
    (I started on Jan 1st, so my end date is actually April 16th I think?)

Plan:
    - Transition back to doing a 16/8 IF protocol on most days (~2 weeks)
    - Train 4-5 times a week, first with the GBB Program (4 more weeks), a transition/deload week, and then restarting UBB 2.0
    - Get in at least 30 minutes of "light" activity a day (on top of training program). Walking, mini cycle, DDR, yoga, foam rolling, even. Just... anything
    - Work on eliminating most grains from my diet by phasing them out slowly (~1 month)
    - Go with the smallest deficit I can manage with. Performance is still important!
    - I actually registered for an 8-week transformation challenge, so this should go hand in hand with the goal ;)

For now this is all I can think of. Looking forward to more entries!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Well, I posted in a 12 week challenge on the NROL4W group but we can call those my 15 week goals too with some wiggle room for more.

Lose a little more weight. Maybe 10-15 lbs. (15 in 15 roughly)
    Lower body fat percentage based on gym tester device... Last checked was 39.5% so have a long ways to go.
    Increase in lifts would be great. Right now I'm stuck on bench, ohp and rows(but me and that lift have issues, lol). Would be great if I could get ohp to move up past 70 and bench to get up closer to 100. Squat might stall soon too. Would like to get to 150 but might need a deload soon. Deadlift hmmm, 175 will soon be bodyweight or slightly more pending when I reach it.
    Start NROL4W or ICF since I'll be at a transition point some time. (Once I decide which as I have minor qualms about both of them)

Addition: Start couch 2 5k training as might sign up for June 5k.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I'm in for losing 15 lbs. I started Jan. 2. I will try to do SL 3x a week @ get cardio in there, too. I am eating lighter:lower carbs, no refined sugar, fresh veggies & protein. And keeping my calorie goal.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Goal: Lose 15 pounds (or more) in 15 weeks
    Start date: January 2
    End date: April 17

The plan:
    * 5x5, 3x week
    * 3-mile walks, 3-7x week
    * Stay within calorie range for the week; adjust range downwards to help reach 1 lb. / week loss when necessary
    * Eat an apple with breakfast daily
    * Plan meals and pack lunches on days I can't come home
    * Limit soda (I have a weird rules for myself on this one that aren't worth explaining here)

867216aec4854c894f0f76695464886756d68bcaee86dbd516414bbfa7e318e7.jpg
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm only planning to lose 10 more pounds overall, but we'll call it 15 for the sake of this ;) I really want to think of something more creative but I can't and really losing the last of my weight is current objective.
    My actual objective is a body fat % but that doesn't fit the 15 plan. But I'd like to hit 20% BF on my home scale, which is about 22% measured by my PT at the gym.

a) SL 5x5 3 times weekly
    b) Walk a minimum of 8000 steps daily on my Vivofit (or at least average 8000/daily for the week)
    c) Continue to average a 1lb/week deficit
    d) make dinner at home at least 3 nights a week, and eat at home (or home cooked meals at friends or family) at least 5 nights a week.
    e) eat out at lunch no more than twice a week

I'm not going to beat myself up if I don't work out more than the 3 times weekly. I'm not going to beat myself up if I lose slower. But in 15 weeks I really should be at my goal weight unless I am really slacking. I don't really see the need to drop my loss to .5/week as is usually advised, because I already practiced maintenance for the entirety of December ;)
  • danirosevoelkel
    danirosevoelkel Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Oh nice! I love challenges!

15 pull-ups in 15 weeks. April 22 is my 15 week deadline.
    my plan is simple, work the crap out of my arms lol!

1. Use the assisted pull up machine at the gym as another 5x5 set
    2. Decrease the weight of the assist once a week if possible
    3. Continue on with my 100 burpees a day
    4. Purchase some pull up assist bands

Granted this a large goal as I cannot even do ONE pull up yet, but I know I can get there!

5foqr4.jpg
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Count me in! I'd like to lose 15 3/4 lbs in 15 weeks or 11.25 lbs (3/4lb a week seems like the sweet spot for me in terms of losing fat and not losing strength).

My plan:
    4x 351 for PL workouts a week
    3x conditioning workouts a week
    2 5:2 fast days a week
    Eating reasonably well the rest of the week except deadlift day. OMNOMNOMNOMNOM

My weigh in day is Saturday so I'll check in then, and I already started at the first of the year. Yay!
  • justmytype
    justmytype Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm in. I took a break from strict calorie counting and lifting for about 5 weeks over the holidays, although I did keep up other workouts (walking, spinning and boxing). I'm back at it and in it to lose 15 in 15!

Goals:
    1) Lift 3x a week.
    2) At least 20-30 push-ups on nonlifting days.
    3) 10,000 steps or more at least 5 days a week. Just got a new pedometer and it's really motivating me to get my *kitten* out of my desk chair and move throughout the day.
    4) Spinning and boxing class once a week.
    5) Keeping within weekly calories.

Started on Monday, Jan 5. I think the upcoming spring and summer months will help to keep the juices flowing!
  • jlanderson_12
    jlanderson_12 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am so ashamed of myself. I was doing well with the 5x5 but had to start over twice because I got lazy and am not consistent. Then the holidays hit and I haven't even been to the gym in two months. Aaahh I wish my so called MFP friends messaged me or something.

That being said. I would love to lose 15lbs in the next 15 weeks and just stay consistent with the 5x5 plan. I know the gym will be insane with all the "resolutioners" taking up the space but hopefully the squat cage will be free when I am able to go. I have three young boys and it is hard to have any time to myself. Just going to the bathroom is a challenge lol.

1) Track food intake to make sure I am getting enough protein.
    2) Make it to the gym when the kids club opens at 8:30am
    3) Stick to my 5x5 program starting over again at an empty bar :#
    (I wonder where I would be if I stopped giving up)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i'm so not a joiner. and i don't do burpees, i don't care who you send to get me :D it would be cheap at the price. so for that reason alone i don't really feel like i'm kosher to make myself a full-on participant here.

however, maybe i'll just be some kind of unaffiliated fellow traveller. i do have a sort of private idea that this thread set off in my head and i'm mulling it over. and i guess when it's all over with i can report either way about how it turned out. it's intensely unexciting, incidentally.
  • Fittreelol
    Options
    Early tree check in. I was down 4.4 lbs of mostly water from my 1/1 weigh in. So maybe with that and my 15- .75 lbs I'll hit 15 total by the end of this thing. :sweat_smile:
  • krokador
    Options
    Mine is a late check-in and I really regret it because I am on the very first day of TOM, which means I'm uber bloated. Bad time to take measurements, but I haven't really had a chance until now.

My weight WAS down 1.2lbs on Thursday [201.6 -> 200.4] (before I ate a whole pizza), and today was up .8 [202.4] so I reckon in 2-3 days I'll even out. But today everything is UP (that does include my biceps? lol) so that's a little discouraging.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    So far doing okay. Weight is well at least, went from 179.6 to 177. Only 2 lbs from my goal for January. Lifts are getting back up after the general deload. Will do 85 next time on bench and rows aren't so bad since I tried doing the actual pull from the ground ones. No increase on squat yet (since i dropped the weight a bit to try out some form stuff) but hoping to try 165 on deadlift tonight after work.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    crabada wrote: »
    Goal: Lose 15 pounds (or more) in 15 weeks
    Start date: January 2
    End date: April 17

The plan:
    * 5x5, 3x week
    * 3-mile walks, 3-7x week
    * Stay within calorie range for the week; adjust range downwards to help reach 1 lb. / week loss when necessary
    * Eat an apple with breakfast daily
    * Plan meals and pack lunches on days I can't come home
    * Limit soda (I have a weird rules for myself on this one that aren't worth explaining here)

01/02 (Starting weight): 0 lbs.
    01/09: -2 lbs.

I'm only doing measurements once a month (probably either on the first of the month, or on the first Friday with my weigh-in).

I'm still getting working on getting into my plan as outlined above, so have missed some of them this week (walks and apples, in particular). Next week is when I'm starting to nail down my regular school schedule, so I think things will fall into place better then.

xo,
    C.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    1/2-137 lbs
    1/10-134 lbs
    I stuck to kefir smoothies for breakfast and salads with protein for lunch and dinner all week. I loosen up a little on the weekend. Had heavier meals and wine yesterday and up .5lb. Not gonna worry about it.
    Did 5x5 3x last week and started doing 100 burpees/day yesterday. Ugh, not looking forward to doing them again today! I may do a step aerobic or kettlebell workout today for cardio.
  • krokador
    Options
    And hey, looka dat! My scale wasn't sure she wanted to say 199.9 or 200 this morning! rofl. 199.95, then xD? So I *am* on track, it wasn't just a bad hunch haha. I'm happy. Had to share ^^ Now on to the gym!
  • Fittreelol
    Options
    haha crabada I also have weird soda rules. Mine are: if it's a fast day then diet is okay, or with pizza, or on vacation.
  • justmytype
    justmytype Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    1/5 - 172 lbs. due to mindless eating over the holidays. Really p!ssed because I was down to 165.5 lbs. before. Why does it pack on so easily and come off so slowly??? I WILL get this off!
    1/12 - 171 lbs.
    Goals:
    1) Lift 3x a week.
    2) At least 20-30 push-ups on nonlifting days.
    3) 10,000 steps or more at least 5 days a week. Just got a new pedometer and it's really motivating me to get my *kitten* out of my desk chair and move throughout the day.
    4) Spinning and boxing class once a week.
    5) Keeping within weekly calories.

1) Check
    2) Check
    3) Walked my butt off and got in at least 10,000 steps every day except for Saturday (5,000+), but I got outside (weather finally got above 30) and walked over 17,000 steps yesterday! Check
    4) Classes start back up again this week. Hoping the boxing class doesn't get cancelled due to lack of participant sign-ups :(
    5) Check

Have a great (and successful) week everyone!
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    threnjen wrote: »

a) SL 5x5 3 times weekly
    b) Walk a minimum of 8000 steps daily on my Vivofit (or at least average 8000/daily for the week)
    c) Continue to average a 1lb/week deficit
    d) make dinner at home at least 3 nights a week, and eat at home (or home cooked meals at friends or family) at least 5 nights a week.
    e) eat out at lunch no more than twice a week

Check-in:

SW 1/05: 122.4
    CW 1/12: 120.4 (I must have had a whoosh, because I am not eating that big a deficit)

a) nope, went last Tue and then had mega DOMS, and went again Sunday.
    b) average for week 8492 daily steps
    c) yup
    d) Can't remember lol
    e) Yes
  • danirosevoelkel
    danirosevoelkel Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Oh nice! I love challenges!

15 pull-ups in 15 weeks. April 22 is my 15 week deadline.
    my plan is simple, work the crap out of my arms lol!

1. Use the assisted pull up machine at the gym as another 5x5 set
    2. Decrease the weight of the assist once a week if possible
    3. Continue on with my 100 burpees a day
    4. Purchase some pull up assist bands

1.check
    2.check, decreased from 100lbs to 94 pounds
    3.check of course ;)
    4.not yet.. working on it.

In the swing of things :)